Heartbreaker

That Day in Spring

 

 

Dara's POV

 

Bigbang really are the Kings of Kpop.

 

I have never been in a concert more hyped up than this one. Everyone in the crowd was having fun jumping, dancing, and singing to the songs. The stadium was packed! The lightsticks held by thousands of VIPs floated in a sea of darkness like beautiful fireflies in the night. It was breathtaking. Chaerin was one of their special guests and she performed two numbers on stage—Baddest Female and 'The Leaders' which she did with GD. CL was in a flashy red skintight bodysuit and I swear it was the hottest thing I've ever seen in my life! The crowd went wild when they started ing each other and I almost broke Bom's hand trying to control my squeals. I think I now understand why Jiyong feels extremely pressured. Success was a lot to live up to. 

 

"Don't worry, you look in' hot," Bom assured me for the hundredth time as she dropped me in front of the restaurant. 

 

"It's not too much, right? I mean, my make-up and everything?" I smoothed out the hem of my dress. "This isn't too short, right? I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard."

 

Bom slapped my hand away. "Stop fidgeting! Geez, Darong. This is the reason why you should date more!" She sighed. "You're okay—no—you're more than okay. You look fantastic! So take a deep breath and get your mighty fine inside before Prince Charming arrives. Sit down, order the most expensive wine, and just be your pretty self. You got this."

 

She's right. I got this. Bom didn't spend all morning giving me a make-over just so I could waste it by being a nervous wreck. "Okay. Everything's going to be fine. I'll tell him the truth and we'll have a good time."

 

"That's the spirit!" We hugged it out and I got out of the car. "Go get him, tiger!" She cheered before driving away. 

 

Squaring my shoulders, I entered the Italian restaurant Jiyong suggested and the maitre'd greeted me. "Good evening, madam. Do you have a reservation?"

 

"Uh, yes. Park?" I gripped my purse tightly. "Sandara Park?"

 

"Ah, yes. Table for two, correct?" I nodded and he led me to a table near the corner. "Would you like something to start with?"

 

"Um." I'm ten minutes early so I shouldn't drink. But I'm also feeling a tad anxious so I totally need that drink. "I'll have sparkling wine, please."

 

"I'll be back shortly with your order," he said with a perfunctory smile before he turned and left. 

 

I caught a glance of my reflection on the glass. It was like looking at a whole different person. My shaggy and unruly bangs were now trimmed and swept to the side. My once unkempt hair was curled and fell in long waves down my back. I was wearing a flowery black pleated dress paired with red stilettos that made me look taller and more classy. In short, I didn't resemble anything like myself. But if this is what will make Jiyong see me in a different light, then I'm willing to take my chances. The waiter returned and poured some wine on my glass. I smiled and thanked him. Taking a sip, I looked out the window and waited for Jiyong to arrive. I busied myself with checking and rechecking the state of my personalized gift.

 

What do you give someone who has everything??

 

That was the million dollar question I had exhausted myself pondering over for weeks. I wanted to end our contract as employer and employee on a happy note. I also wanted to congratulate him after the concert. I knew how hard he worked for it and how many sleepless nights he had to endure so he could deliver a great show for their fans. A bit of appreciation goes a long way, after all. 

 

I raised my head and looked around. Still no sign of him. I checked my phone. No new messages. By social standards, the acceptable waiting time is fifteen minutes before bailing is considered valid and reasonable. It's always good to give your date the benefit of the doubt. Random events and circumstances outside his control might've happened. Or in Jiyong's case, an army of screaming fans outside the stadium waiting for him to come out. I downed the last of my wine and finally decided to text him. 

 

D: Hi, Ji. I'm already in the restaurant and—

 

"Ani. I sound demanding." I shook my head and deleted it.

 

D: Hi, Ji. It's Dara. You were right. The restaurant is really nice.

 

I hit send. After a few minutes, I got a reply from him.

 

J: You're there already??

J: I'm still talking to a few friends, but I'll be there.

J: Just wait for me, ahjumma

 

He wanted me to wait. For a minute there, I thought I was on the verge of getting stood up. I exhaled a sigh of relief and told him to take his time and that there's no rush because I'm fine. I'll wait. A tall girl in a ponytail approached my table. A black apron was tied to her waist and she was carrying a notepad.

 

"Good evening miss, I'm Taehyun and I'm going to be your server for tonight." She clicked on her pen. "Do you wish to order now?"

 

I sent her a smile while shaking my head. "I'm still waiting for someone. Can I just do it later?"

 

"Of course. Do you want to try any appetizers while waiting?" She poiltely offered. "Perhaps some cheesesticks?"

 

I am quite hungry. "Okay. Thank you, Taehyun-ssi."

 

"No problem. I'll bring you some. You want me to get that refilled?" She pointed to the empty glass.

 

"Um...sure."

 

With a smile, she bowed and left. My phone beeped and I hurriedly swiped the lockscreen. 

 

Bommie: How's the date?

 

I should've known she wanted updates.

 

Dara: Jiyong's not here yet.

Bommie: Whaaaat??! It's been thirty minutes since I left you! 

Bommie: That's it. I'm coming.

Bommie: Get ready.

Bommie: I'll pick you up

Dara: No! Don't!

Dara: He told me to wait. He's coming.

 

 

Bommie-chan calling...

 

 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

"Get out of there. I'm not kidding, Darong. That bastard is clearly not coming."

 

"He texted me. He's coming."

 

"Did you text him first?"

 

"Um, yes. But—"

 

"Dara, jebal. Just once in your life, try not to be too kind. GD is totally playing you—"

 

"I told him I'll wait, Bom."

 

"That's exactly what makes him a huge jerk! He shouldn't have let you wait in the first place. A gentleman doesn't do that."

 

I tugged on my bracelet. "He just came from the concert and you know how hard it is for him to get rid of the crowd, Bommie." I chewed on my lower lip. "I'll wait for him. He's probably stuck in traffic or something."

 

There was a long pause before she spoke again. 

 

"If anything happens, call me. I seriously don't want you to walk all the way home."

 

I smiled. "Neh. Gomawoyo, Bommie-ya." 

 

"Keurae." I heard her sigh. "Just...text me, okay?"

 

"Neh."

 

Taehyun-ssi came back with the food and I spent the next twenty minutes munching on it. Conversations flew by around me while I focused on counting the number of cars that passed by. Ten turned to twenty. Twenty turned to fifty. I counted until I could count no more. When Taehyun stood before me again, my shoulders dropped a little as I shook my head. She nodded, but I thought I saw pity flash in her eyes before she headed back to the bar. I picked up my phone from the table. My fingers itched to dial his number. I glanced around. The restaurant was no longer packed. In fact, it looked like they were about to close. I didn't even notice the time. I've been waiting for over two hours.

 

Taking a deep breath, I dialed his number. It rang two times before my call was forwarded to voice message. I cleared my throat. "Hi, Ji. It's Dara. Um, I'm guessing you got held up. Don't worry though, it's fine. The crowd didn't mob you or anything, right? I mean, I hope you're okay. Just...um—" I was surprised when I heard a click and then a girl's voice spoke through the phone.

 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

I checked the screen. This is Jiyong's number so why is a girl on the other line? It even sounded like there's electro-pop music blasting from the background. "Um, hello? Is...is Jiyong there?"

 

"Nope. They're partying it up on stage, right now. Wooooh!" I heard people shouting. 

 

I held the phone closer to my ear. "Um, who is this?"

 

"Sooj. Who's this?"

 

"Um...I'm—"

 

"Ya, Kiko! Get him off of there! Hahaha! Bring your boy home, he's drunk!" I stopped breathing. Jiyong was with Kiko? I gripped the hem of my dress. "Sorry, 'bout that. Who's this again?"

 

I ended the call. Tears started to form in my eyes. I'm so stupid. Bom was right. I shouldn't have come. It was too good to be true, anyway. 

 

"Are you alright, miss?" 

 

I swiftly hid my face when I felt something wet roll down my cheek. "Can I just have the check, please?" When she didn't move, I wiped my tears away and looked at her with a determined expression. "I'd like to leave now so kindly give me the bill, please." Taehyun nodded and went to collect the bill. She then came back and I gave her the money. Grabbing my purse, I muttered, "Keep the change," before standing up to leave. I faintly heard her say something else, but I didn't look back as I fought the rush of tears all the way to the door. 
 

 

 

GD's POV

 

 

I'm a complete idiot when I'm drunk. It would've been a great excuse for any kind of behavior. But I wasn't drunk when I saw her message. I had a few drinks, yes, but I was completely and irrevocably sober when I texted her back. I was tipsy when I assured her I'd come. I was slightly hammered when I told her to wait.

 

And I was a douchebag when I stood her up. 

 

"Come on, pick up. Pick up, ahjumma. Pick up..."

 

I'm in the bathroom wearing only my boxers, my bright orange hair in a mess as I stared back at my reflection. I gripped the sink.

 

Way to it up, Jiyong. 

 

After the concert, a few of our friends and some A-listers were gathered in an exclusive club owned by Seungri's cousin. As expected, paparazzis and die hard fans found out about it and decided to gate crash the party. I knew we were surrounded by some of the media so I was very careful with my actions. I did jam with the crowd, danced with a few of our closest friends, and even smoked at the lounge with TOP hyung. All were harmless and usual things that I've always done so no one paid attention to it. And then Kiko entered the club and I don't know what overcame me. 

 

Okay, partly I did. It was lust. Some attraction, but I was definitely going for the kill. She was wearing a y velvet top and a leather skirt that showed off her perfectly long legs and I couldn't tear my gaze away. When she started pulling my neck closer as we shared a few drinks behind the private lounge, I lost all control and I let her kiss me. Probably the start of the hole of mistakes I did that night. I joined in on the tequila shots, partied like there's no tomorrow and went all crazy on stage, even battling Seungri over rights on the turntable. 

 

History always repeats itself and when I woke up this morning in my bed, my arm around Kiko's form, I knew I ed up again. 

 

Literally, this time. 

 

'...you have dialed is not in service. Please call again—'
 

 

"Ah, ."

 

I the faucet and splashed my face with cold water. Dara had sent a couple of messages while I was busy being the center of everyone's attention last night. Knowing her personality, she must've waited until the restaurant's closing time. I felt more guilty thinking how she must've wondered why I never showed up. My phone beeped and I rushed to see the message.

 

Kiko: Already left. I've got work today. I enjoyed last night, Ji. Talk to you later? 

 

I ran a hand over my face tiredly. I typed my reply. It was short and curt.

 

Okay. I'll see you around.

 

As much as I want to spend the next forty five minutes calling the little tokki, I still have a lot of work to do today so I took a shower and got dressed. Fifteen minutes later, Tae Hee and my driver showed up so they could take me to the YG building. I texted Dara again in the car. She could've forgotten to turn her phone on and I'm probably worrying over nothing. Santokki might already be in the studio holding a cup of coffee out to me, her colorful post it notes hanging from the lid. 

 

When I arrived, there wasn't any coffee. No notes. No Dara. I started to panic. 

 

"Noona, have you seen Dara?" I asked my make-up artist.

 

"Aniyo. It's weird though. She was always the first one here."

 

Where could she be?

 

I was beside myself with worry when afternoon rolled in and I still couldn't reach her phone and she never showed up. The answer came in the form of Bom. She just came out the recording studio when I intercepted her.

 

"Bom, where's Dara? I've been trying to call her, but she won't answer."

 

Bom crossed her arms and sent me a withering look. "Good. Now you know how it feels."

 

She knew? Aiiiish of course she did! Dara was her bestfriend. I hang my head in shame. 

 

"Look, I know I made a mistake. I just want to apologize to her."

 

"Well, in behalf of her, apology not accepted." She poked her finger on my chest. "Do you know how much she worked on that gift she wanted to give you? Just because you're GD doesn't give you the right to take people for granted."

 

"That's why I want to see her so I could explain myself." I ran a hand through my hair. "What time is she coming for work?"

 

Bom looked extremely pissed. "Unbelievable. I thought you couldn't get any worse, but you keep surprising me." 

 

I looked at her blankly. She sighed. 

 

"Yesterday was her last day of work. Your car's fixed, genius. Why do you think she wanted to have dinner with you? Tsss. Aigoo. I really want to hit you right now." She clicked her tongue and bumped my shoulder as she made her way to the elevator. 

 

 

. What have I done?