First Snow

That Day in Spring

 

Jiyong pried his eyes away from his work as soon as Chairman Park entered the room. He was about to stand and greet him when the older man shook his head as if to tell him to stay put.

 

"Seungho mentioned you liked yours black," he said casually and handed Jiyong a cup of coffee before taking a seat on the opposite chair. "I had Hong order some from the cafe nearby. You looked like you needed one."

 

It was the first time Dara's father had conversed with him in an amicable manner, one that didn't leave him feeling belittled or threatened and so it was understandable why the only reaction he could give him for the first five seconds was utter silence. The fact that he even went so far as to buy him a drink left him flabbergasted. Still wondering what could've contributed to the chairman's change of heart, Jiyong brought the cup to his lips and took a small, tentative sip. "Thank you, sir."

 

The chairman tipped his head in acknowledgment before turning on the television, putting it on mute as he flipped through the channels in search for something to watch, preferably updates about the stock market. A comfortable silence flowed between the two men while they went about their own ways to pass the time, the occasional beep from the monitor filling in the absence of conversation.

 

"Any luck with that?" he asked minutes later, gesturing to the box on Jiyong's lap.



"Uh...yeah. I mean, it's coming along." Jiyong suddenly became aware of the mess he'd made while doing his little project. Of course this was nothing compared to the colossal clutter usually scattered all over his studio, but then again this was a hospital room. His arts and crafts shouldn't even be here. "Sorry about the chaos," he swiftly apologized and began picking up the scissors and shreds of paper lying on the floor. "Yeonjun-ah stopped by last week and left me an origami book. I just thought I'd give those paper cranes a try. So far I've made," he did a quick mental count, "... around two hundred, I guess? It's a bit tricky at first, but I think I'm getting better at it." He twirled one between his fingers before showing it to him. 

 

"Hmm. It does look the same as the picture."

 

"I'll take that as a compliment then," Jiyong replied with a soft chuckle. He returned to his spot and grabbed an origami sheet from the stack neatly piled on top of the table. "Dara once told me about this Japanese tradition when I tagged along with her during her visits to the temple. She said they have this legend that says anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by the gods. Obviously it's not an easy feat plus it totally takes a long time to finish, but she-" he leaned back and surveyed his handiwork, "...she believed in these things, you know?"  

 

Chairman Park studied the young man's hunched figure on the couch, the rueful smile plastered on his face, the way he was trying so hard to hold himself together when it was clear as day how close he was to falling apart. He recognized the signs of exhaustion; it was there in the hollowness of his cheeks, buried among the shadows under his eyes. The young man had not once complained about the intricacies of their current predicament nor felt discouraged with the way he'd been treating him since the day they met. He knew Jiyong was facing his own problems. Despite his outward nonchalance, he wasn't entirely oblivious to what goes on when he's around. He overheard him arguing with his manager a couple of times when they thought he was asleep. Something to do with binding contracts and repercussions--at least that's what he could recall.

 

Leaning forward, he placed his cup on the table before steepling his fingers. "Thank you."

 

Jiyong stared at him. 

 

"I know I haven't been the most gracious host and for that I'm sorry. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for everything you've done thus far. For staying at Dara's side. For not giving up on her."

 

"It's really n-"

 

"And for convincing Hyerin to come see our daughter."



Ah. So that's why...

 

Jiyong scratched his growing stubble while remembering their awkward encounter. "I bumped into her weeks ago when I was leaving the hospital."

 

"I see. Did she tell you herself? You know, about her being Dara's mother?"

 

He shook his head. "She didn't need to. I kind of figured it out on my own. Plus they look so much alike it's weird. Um, in a good way of course," he was quick to add. 

 

"Dara getting her mother's looks is a thing I've always been grateful for," he quipped, the edge of his lips curling up in a fleeting smile. "That day you met, she came here to ask for my forgiveness. She confessed that it was you who gave her the courage to face her problems head-on."

 

"I didn't do anything. I just told her the truth."

 

"Still," he glanced at his daughter's sleeping figure on the bed. "All her life Dara struggled to find her place in this world. When I took her from the Ma's, I thought I was doing the right thing. I provided her with everything anyone could ever want yet she was never happy. My desire to keep her close only managed to push her away." He wrung his hands in front of him, the creases on his forehead deepening as he continued, "It's probably why her mother left in the first place."

 

"Heojangnim-" 

 

"Don't worry, we've decided to set aside our differences and work together for Dara's sake. What's important right now is our daughter's recovery," he explained, a contrite look on his face as he let out a long, deep breath. "Aigoo. Forgive the silly ramblings of an old man. I must be boring you."

 

"Aniyo." Jiyong slid something across the table to him. "I hope you give her a chance though. I know she still cares for you. Besides, life is too short to keep on holding grudges." His forlorn eyes darted toward Dara's direction. 

 

Chairman Park slowly nodded and reached out to pick up the piece of paper. "You really want to make a thousand of these?"

 

"Yep. That's the plan."

 

"Very well," he scooted his chair closer to the couch and began flipping through the instructions, "we better get started then."

 

 

====***====


 

Butler Kim found the most peculiar sight when he arrived bringing new set of clothes for his boss. Chairman Park raised a finger to his lips before motioning to a sleeping Jiyong on the couch. He was in the middle of covering the younger man with a blanket as he had fallen asleep halfway through their origami making. Jiyong's arms were crossed over his chest, his mouth slightly parted while he softly snored.

 

"He must be exhausted," the chairman muttered in a low voice when he approached him. "He fell asleep as soon as he closed his eyes." When he turned his head, he was met with a knowing smile from the elderly butler. "What?"

 

"It seems you and Mr. Kwon have finally come to an understanding."

 

He fiddled with his cuffs, his gaze fixed on the floor as he shrugged, "Kid's not so bad."

 

"Mm. Indeed." 

 

"Oh for Christ sake, stop gloating."

 

"I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, sir," the twinkle in his eyes told him another story. The chairman just shook his head and fought the urge to laugh at their playful banter. "A fresh set of clothes like you asked," he handed him the small duffel bag he carried. "Ironed it myself so you can be certain they're in perfect state, no creases whatsoever. I know how you hate anything less of perfection." The wry remark finally coaxed a smile from his stern boss.

 

"Thank you."

 

"Oh and sir? Miss Bom asked me to convey a message to you." Fishing out a piece of paper from his pocket, Butler Kim put on his reading glasses and started to read, "I'm inviting our closest friends over for the Christmas Party dinner tonight. Food is on me so tell heojangnim not to worry about anything else. Also, the theme is 'Ugly Sweater Party' so make sure you wear one. Shindig-" his forehead creased at Bom's choice of word, "-starts at seven."

 

"A party?" Chairman Park asked with a raised brow. "In here?"

 

"Apparently, the nurses permitted it as long as we keep it down and not disturb the other patients. Loud music is banned, as well as any alcoholic beverages including the traditional eggnog. There is also the matter of the curfew. We only have until nine-thirty. And I heard Yoo Jaesuk is pretty pissed about the theme."

 

"Forget about the theme. I'm more worried about Bom's cooking."

 

"My sentiments exactly," Butler Kim agreed with a grimace. "If memory serves, her last attempt sent three of our guards to the emergency room."

 

Chairman Park softly chuckled. "Perhaps it would be better if you convince her to buy from the store rather than cook the food herself."

 

The elderly butler heaved a sigh, knowing full well how stubborn the young lady was. "I'll do my best."

 

------***------

 

Against all odds, Bom had succesfully brought the spirit of christmas to Dara's hospital room. With the help of the boys and CL, they pushed the table to the side to leave space for people to sit. Colorful garlands, candy canes, and even a small Christmas tree now decorated the once bleak walls. The Ma's had brought in the food, thanks to Butler Kim's reliable people skills.

 

"Oh good!" exclaimed Bom when Ma Dongseok handed her a tray of chicken poppers. "You followed the theme!"

 

The burly man tilted his head and looked at her questioningly, "What theme?"

 

Bom stared at the fugly red sweater on Dara's uncle, wondering as to why in the world would he wear such a hideous thing if he hadn't heard about the theme for tonight's party. Then realization came to her and she almost choked with laughter. "HAHAHAHA--it's nothing!! Merry Christmas!!" She donned the biggest grin before turning around and leaving him scratching his head in confusion.

 

"Thank you for coming," Chairman Park bowed and greeted Dara's grandmother. "I, um-" he shifted from one foot to the other, absently tugging at his tie, "I hope...I mean, I want to-"

 

"Park Shiyoon."

 

He lifted his eyes at the mention of his full name, a startled expression plastered on his face.

 

"Are we seriously going to stand here all night, ruminating on past mistakes?" she spoke like a mother scolding her own child. "My arthritis is acting up again because of that very long trip. I'd very much like to sit and stretch my poor legs right now."

 

"Ah, neh. I understand," he said, bowing a second time. "I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry. For everything that's happened and-"

 

"Ara," she softly muttered, a warm smile slolwy spreading across her wizened features. "I am, too." She reached out and patted his hand good-naturedly. "It took us a long time, but I'm certain this is what my son would have wanted."

 

The tension seemed to dissipate between them as soon as he returned her smile. "Thank you. I know Dara would want to spend Christmas with her family, too."

 

"Our family," she corrected him with a wink.

 

The chairman laughed freely now, genuine relief seeping through his voice. "Come," he started guiding the old woman to where the food was. "Let's find something to warm you up."


On the other side of the room, Seungri was on the verge of a meltdown. "Hyung, what the hell?!"

 

"What?" TOP asked innocently. YB and Daesung were trying so hard not to explode with laughter.  

 

"Do you mind explaining your outfit?"

 

"Oh this?" Tabi glanced down at his sweater with the maknae's face printed across it. "I thought Bom said this was an Ugly party."

 

"Ugly sweater. S-W-E-A-T-E-R. Sweater, hyung!" he whined, stomping his foot on the floor like a five-year-old.

 

"Ah jinjja?" he clicked his tongue dramatically. "You meant to tell me I went through all that trouble for nothing? Aigoo. What a shame."

 

Seungri's face at this point was as red as Rudolph's nose. Fueled with his thirst for justice, he bolted and started to chase TOP around the room, muttering curses under his breath as he ran. From the balcony, Jiyong stood with his hands on his pockets, silently observing the events unfolding before him with a smile. 

 

"Yah, look at those idiots." Seungho stepped out and handed him a mug of hot chocolate. "I still can't believe you're friends with them." Jiyong chuckled and thanked him, moving to the side to make space for his brother. "Everything okay?" Seungho asked, giving him a sideways glance. 
 

Jiyong nodded, the breath he exhaled mingling with the crisp night air. Something tickled his nose and he curiously looked up to see what it was. "Oh?" He opened his palm and caught a snowflake on its way to the ground. "It's snowing." The first for this year.

 

A boisterous laughter pulled their attention back inside. They both watched as the huge mountain of a man, Ma Dongseok, gave Chairman Park a bear hug while CL took a picture of them, everyone else pausing to laugh at the strange duo, even Seungri who had TOP pinned on the floor. Just then, Mino entered the room along with Hong, Dong-gil and Butler Kim who were all clad in outrageous sweaters, one more colorful than the next. They handed their gifts and joined the happy bunch on the couch. 


"I wish she could see this."

 

Seungho's hand descended on his shoulder, warm and consoling. "Yeah. Me, too." 

 

"Hey, attention everyone!!"

 

Bom stood on her toes, hands cupped around . "Now that we're all here, it's time to take a picture!" She giddily announced, giving out instructions for everyone to gather around Dara's bed, some of them kneeling or sitting on the floor. Jiyong gently clapped Seungho's back before taking his place beside the little tokki, his hand immediately finding hers. "Okay. Everybody don't forget to smile!" Bom hurried to the front, flinging her arm around Mino who raised his fingers in a peace sign. A couple of pictures and plenty of begging later, Bom finally let them head to the table to get some food.

 

"Hey," Jiyong leaned down to whisper in Dara's ear, "I got you a little present." He ped the duffel bag sitting on the chair and pulled out the plush toy he had bought some time ago from a street vendor. "Ta-daaa!" he chuckled, waving the toy in front of his unconscious girlfriend. "It's a mini me, see? I planned to give it to you before, but...well anyway, this little guy right here will watch over you when I'm not around." Brushing the stray hair from Dara's face, Jiyong planted a soft kiss on her forehead. "Merry Christmas, love."

 

Time passed like it always did; the holidays were over as fast as it came. 

 

Dara was finally extubated on New Year's eve and all that's left are the wires connected to the bedside monitor which measures her vital signs. Up above, the paper cranes he made hang from the ceiling, courtesy of Mino who got bored one day and came up with an ingenious plan to revamp the whole room. Jiyong still hasn't reached a thousand, but he's close. Hopefully, the little tokki would wake up before then.

 

"Woah, yeppuda." Jiyong the camcorder and filmed the fireworks display from the window of the hospital room. "Are you seeing this, love? I think it's coming from the Namsan tower." He marveled at the colorful shapes painting the night sky while he chewed on some gummy bears. "You know that reminds me, I don't think I've ever been there before." Shifting in his seat, he turned the camera back to face him. "Yah, ajhumma. When you wake up, let's go visit the tower together, okay? I heard couples usually do something romantic in there like leaving love locks and throwing away the key. Now before you roll your eyes which I know you're going to, I'm not being sappy, I'm just really curious whether or not people still do those things." 

 

Jiyong's routine continued as usual only to be disrupted by President Yang's unprecedented visit to his house two days after New Years. He was ambushed, for lack of a better word. He had meant to go back to the hospital after he cleaned himself up, but his plans were thwarted when he saw a familiar car parked in front of his apartment building. To avoid a messy confrontation, he had no choice but to come with him. 
 

"Is there anything else I can get you, sir?" the waitress asked as she placed a cup of coffee on the table. 


"That would be all, thank you."

 

With a bow, she turned and left. 

 

"How is Dara doing?" President Yang inquired while slicing a small portion of his blueberry pie with his knife.

 

"She's getting better," Jiyong replied, his eyes darting toward the clock every five seconds. The waffles on his plate lay untouched before him. Underneath the table, his foot kept bumping the leg of his chair. 

 

"Then that means they'll take her out of that induced coma soon, right?"

 

He nodded absently.

 

"Jiyong-ah," President Yang suddenly put his utensils down and proceeded to address him with a stern look. "Can you at least give me your attention when I'm talking to you?" The tone of his voice suggested he wasn't the least bit happy about Jiyong's poor manners. Sensing it was probably the right thing to do, Jiyong muttered a quick apology and properly faced him this time.


"I might as well cut to the chase. Your career isn't the only thing at stake here. Many people's lives are depending on this concert tour. Your crew, for starters, are worried about losing their job if the show is canceled. Most of them even skipped their vacation leave in order to beat deadlines. This is supposed to be a team effort yet you let other people carry all the work when it's supposed to be your responsibility. Now, do you think that's fair?"

 

Jiyong threaded a hand through his unkempt hair, a furrow between his brows. "No," he admitted guiltily. "Of course I know it's not fair I just-" his shoulders dropped as he heaved a long sigh, "You're right. It's my fault. I let them down and I'm sorry."

 

"Look, all I'm asking is that you take some time to finalize the preparations for your tour. I'll even send Taehee and Soonho to watch over her in your stead." He leaned back and crossed his arms over his chest. "What do I always tell you, Jiyong-ah? The key to success is to focus on goals, not obstacles," he reminded him. "Never forget that."

 

The president's words nagged at his conscience more than he cared to admit, so much so that he finally decided to go back to the studio after a month long absence, picking up right where he left off. Turns out there were a lot of things that needed his attention and the more he took notice of the various slip-ups, the more disgruntled he became. Fortunately Seungho volunteered to keep tabs on Dara and was kind enough to give him updates whenever his work kept him away from the hospital. 


It was well into Jiyong's fifth day of recording when he received a call from an unidentified number. 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

"Jiyong-ah," Yoo Jaesuk's voice came from the other line. 

 

Clipping the phone between his ear and shoulder, he hit pause on the controls and excused himself before stepping out the studio. "Eo, hyung. What's up?" he asked as soon as the door closed behind him.

 

"Dara's awake."

 

He froze mid-step, the exhale of breath he was about to make caught in his throat. Tightening his grip on his phone, he said in a voice barely above a whisper, "W-what did you say?"

 

"Dara-ya...she opened her eyes an hour ago. We called the chairman as soon as she started talking. I just thought you should know, too."

 

He raked his shaking hand through his hair,  glistening eyes going skyward. "She's awake," he muttered under his breath, laughter escaping his mouth in short bursts as his back hit the wall. 

 

"Neh. They're doing some tests on her right now, but Jiyong-ah, I-"

 

"Hyung, tell her to wait for me. I'm coming." He  ended the call and sprinted back toward the studio in haste.

 

"Ji, where are you going?" yelled Taehee as he rushed past him to grab his bag.


"I'm leaving early," he shouted over his shoulder instead. "Lock up the studio for me. Thanks!"

 

The drive to the hospital felt like a lifetime when in reality only a few minutes had passed. Dong-Gil had stepped on the accelerator as though his body was possessed by a formula one racer, swerving around curbs and speeding through traffic lights like it's nobody's business. He understood the urgency of the situation and like Jiyong, he wanted to see Dara with his own eyes and make sure she was indeed alive and well. When they arrived, Jiyong practically jumped out the car and sprinted up the steps of the hospital, foregoing the elevator and ignoring the stares from the people he bumped on the way. His mind was reeling, both with happiness and anxiety for what's to come. Just a little bit more...almost there...

 

Finally, he could see the door to Dara's room. It was open. His feet almost buckled when he reached the landing, his heart hammering in his chest. Jiyong wiped the sweat between his brows and tried to compose himself, his breaths coming out short as he walked. He recognized Hong's broad shoulder by the door and he reached out to tap it. The bodyguard looked at him in mild surprise. 

"Sir," he greeted with a small bow and moved aside to make way for him. 

Jiyong was barely aware of the rest of the people in the room, his eyes solely on the girl clad in hospital clothes standing near the balcony, her long hair cascading down her back. "Dara."

 

Slowly, she turned around. 

It's her. She's really okay. 

In four strides, he closed the distance between them as he took her in his arms, his bigger form enveloping her completely. He buried his face in her hair and whispered her name over and over again with tears in his eyes. "Gwenchana?" he muttered, kissing the top of her head. He felt her small hands on his chest before she pushed him back with a shove. He was taken by surprise with the action and tried to reach out for her again, but she shrank back, the expression on her face akin to a deer caught in headlights. "Ahjumma-"

 

"Stay back." 


Jiyong blinked at her in confusion. 


"Dara," the chairman spoke gently behind him, his hand outstretched as if he was trying to tame a wild cat and not his own daughter. "It's fine, dear. He's a friend."

 

A friend? Jiyong sent him a bewildered look. Dara chewed on her lower lip, her eyes intently studying him as she cradled her left hand to her chest. Jiyong pictured a hundred scenarios in his head while waiting for her to wake up, all of which ending on a happy reunion and never like this. He imagined hearing those three special words from her; words he had desperately sought even in his dreams.

 

What came next wasn't it. 

 

"Who..." she began, a slight quiver to her voice as she stared up at him. "Who are you?"