Sunsets

That Day in Spring

 

 

"So far, your vitals look good." Dr. Park switched off his penlight and returned to his seat, scanning through the pages of the medical chart with a slight frown. "The result of your blood test came back, all values are within normal limits." Removing his glasses, he fixed Dara a dour look. "Have you experienced any blackouts as of recent?"

 

She shook her head. 

 

"Any headaches?"

 

"Sometimes. Usually in the mornings, but they eventually disappear a few minutes after I take my meds."

 

"I see." He clicked his pen and took note of this. "Are you experiencing any difficulty with performing gross and fine motor skills?"

 

She looked down, absently tugging the old bracelet on her wrist. "I, um, been having problems with my hand for some time now."

 

"Did you experience any out-of-body sensation? Perhaps a sudden case of memory lapse?"

 

"Everything just feels fuzzy for a few seconds." Her brows furrowed. "Does that count?"

 

He nodded. "I'm going to require you to keep track of when and how many times the seizure occurs. Do not omit any information. It's important that we determine if there's a pattern here. Or if it's the medication that's causing the symptoms." He handed her the prescription. "How long will you be in Jeju?"

 

Dara fidgeted in her seat. "Probably a couple of days," she murmured, trying very hard to sound vague. It was never her intention to tell Bom's father where she was planning to go, but when he started asking the reason behind her requesting a doctor's approval, the truth just slipped right out of . 

 

"Will your father be sending a personal nurse to come with you? It's imperative that your companion knows how to administer first aid in the event of a seizure." 

 

She internally panicked. Because of Jiyong's hectic schedule, this was going to be their first out of town trip in months and he was adamant they take his only free weekend to enjoy it for themselves. As a matter-of-fact, her plane ticket was already lying on top of her luggage back in the car. "Y-yes," she decided to lie instead. No need to risk him sharing it to her father before she does. 

 

"Alright then." He stood and shook her hand, patting it like he's always done when she was younger. "Safe travels, Dara-ya."

 

"Gomawoyo, paksangnim." 

 

She walked out of the clinic, her shoulders slumped forward in guilt. The piece of paper she kept inside her small purse felt heavier with every step she takes. Aigoo. You need to calm down, she admonished herself. It's going to be fine.  Upon seeing her climb down the stairs, Hong opened the door to the car and she hurriedly went in. "Straight to the airport please," she instructed the driver.

 

Jiyong was supposed to be on the same plane with her, but on the way to the hospital, he called and told her something important came up so he would be taking a later flight instead. She was okay with it since she's used to traveling alone. Besides, it'll only take over an hour to get to the island and wouldn't give her any time to get bored. Dara looked out the window. It was a sunny day, perfect blue sky with no hint of rain. The traffic lights turned from yellow to red and the driver stepped on the brakes smoothly. She watched as a young girl, probably fourteen or fifteen came out from the restaurant across the street with a double-scoop strawberry ice cream on her hand. She was a walking rainbow, her curly brown hair blowing in the wind as she skated her way to the pedestrian lane. There was a big smile plastered on her chubby face as she listened to the tunes blasting from her beats. 

 

Dara absently touched the side of her scalp where she could still feel a slight bump from the accident. She gazed out the window again, letting her thoughts take her to that tragic day that changed her life. 

 

'Are you sure you don't want to join us?'

She pulled the strap of her violin case higher over her shoulder. 'I'll pass. Professor Oh wants me to work on my solo piece,' Dara apologized with a smile. She was one of the representatives from Korea who got invited to play for a one-night concert with the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra. The others wanted to tour around Shibuya before heading home the next day and even if she wanted to do that, she still had to catch an early flight to New York.

'Oh yes. You're supposed to perform at Juilliard, right?' She nodded. 'Omo, I'm so envious! I've always wanted to go there!'

'Once you stop slacking around and become half as good as Dara unnie, maybe then they'll start considering you.'

Dara laughed and they exchanged their goodbyes. She was almost to the hotel when she noticed this girl, probably twelve or thirteen about to cross the street with her earphones on, completely oblivious to the car that's about to run her over. She didn't have time to think and just acted on instinct. She ran to the girl and pushed her to safety. Everything went dark after that. Next time she opened her eyes, she was in the hospital. It was five days later. 

 

The trunk slamming close pulled her back to reality. The driver opened the door for her and she stepped out. Grabbing her suitcase, she then headed to the departure area with Hong on her trail. "You really don't have to follow me all the way, you know." He merely stared in response. Looks like her father trained him well. "Seriously, I'll be fine. You can go now."

 

He stayed rooted to the spot. "I'll be here until you're done checking in," he deadpanned. She sighed, knowing this was a losing argument.

 

A few hours later, Dara found herself raising the window shade as they landed on Jeju International airport. She texted Jiyong and informed him of her safe arrival. After getting her stuff, she planned to just ask where the taxi lane was when she noticed an old man holding a sign with her name on it. Curious, she slowly approached him. 

 

"Ahjussi." The guy turned to look at her. "Um, that's me. Sandara Park," she pointed to the slogan. 

 

He smiled and bowed his head. "Pleased to meet you, Miss Park. I'm Dong Baekhyun." She shook his hand in greeting. "I've been instructed by Mr. Kim to take you to the villa. Unless of course you want to make a quick stop somewhere else?" She shook her head. "Then shall we get going?" She nodded and he offered to bring the luggage for her. It took another thirty minutes to get to their destination and she spent the whole ride taking pictures so she could show it to the girls when she gets home. 

 

"Here we are."

 

She had expected something grand, knowing how much Jiyong liked splurging his money to please her despite the many times she told him not to. Often insisting that it's 'only the best for my little tokki.' That's why she was so surprised when she saw that the private villa Jiyong had chosen was a relatively small bungalow house, a far cry from what she had imagined. Baekhyun dragged her luggage inside and fell open as she marveled at how quaint the interior was. Everything was painted in white and baby blue from the ceiling to the walls—even the bricked fireplace was coated in white. The wooden panels and rustic furnitures gave it a homey feeling and reminded her greatly of their hotel in the mountains. But what really caught her eye was the French windows that provided a direct view of the beach. "It's so beautiful."

 

"You haven't seen anything yet," he said with a smile.

 

"Jeongmal?" She asked excitedly. 

 

"Why don't you look around? Food is on the fridge, pantry is packed with chips and noodles. If you want to explore the beach then go ahead. It's perfectly safe due to its exclusivity. The next house is at the opposite end of the isle so no one would disturb you here. But if you just want to stay in and watch TV, the remote's on the drawer." He handed her the housekeys. "Think you can manage on your own?" She basically screamed yes. He chuckled. "Well then. Enjoy your stay, Sandara-ssi. Call me if you need anything, okay?"

 

"Neh." Once he was gone, she started exploring the remainder of the house. There were two bedrooms. One had a king size bed, a dresser and a bathroom while the other only had a twin bed and a small cabinet. She wondered if Jiyong would like to share a bed with her. The memory of him buck entered her mind and she instantly banged her head on the wall. The thought alone sent shivers down her spine and she hated the fact that her body seemed to be responding way too eagerly as heat started pooling between her legs. And to think, Jiyong's not even here yet. She slapped her cheeks and glared at her reflection in the mirror. "Ya, wae geurae?? You're not some innocent teenager, Dara, you're a grown woman! These things shouldn't be new to you! So what if you've seen his...h-his..." Her face burned. Jiyong was well-endowed, so to speak. What if things get steamy and they decide to do it? Ottokae!! What if it won't fit??

 

"Ah aniya aniya! Stop thinking about it! Aiiish!!"

 

Desperate to get rid of those lewd thoughts, she marched to the bathroom and took a cold shower. When she finished, she was partially back to her normal sane self. Since it was warm enough outside, she chose to wear a simple white dress and a pair of flip flops. Ditching the clips, she let the humidity dry her hair. Dara checked her phone. It was already four in the afternoon and still no reply from Jiyong. She decided to text him, but got a message from Bom instead. 

 

Bommie: Darong! Have u seen it already?!

Bommie: Your boyfriend seriously needs to get a beating from me.

Dara: What do u mean bom?

 

Bommie-chan calling...

 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

"I can't believe you haven't seen it, Dara-ya! It's all over the news! That's probably why the bastard wanted you guys to go to Jeju so you won't know what's happening over here."

 

She moved to the couch. "Slow down, Bommie. I don't understand." She heard her friend sigh on the other line. 

 

"GD's got himself into another scandal. Again. Gosh, what's wrong with your boyfriend? Are you not enough for him that he'd have to flirt with the next girl he gets to work with?! Aigoo."

 

Dara's heart thumped in her chest. Jiyong in a dating scandal? Why didn't he tell her anything? 

 

"Dara? Hello? You still there?"

 

"N-Neh." She swallowed. "Bom, it might not even be true. You know how they like to target Jiyong and make stories about him."

 

"I'll send you the link to the news, okay. You need to see it for yourself."

 

She hang up. Opening her Kakao talk, she checked the link Bom shared to her. 

 

'Not a stranger to dating rumors, G-Dragon has done it again. Countless evidence point out that the King of Kpop is dating none other than the up and coming beautiful Japanese model, Komatsu Nana. Pictures recently resurfaced of what seemed to be a dinner date between GD and Nana in a five star restaurant where they were seen laughing and even sharing a drink. The music genius allegedly left on the same car with the Japanese model further solidifying the fan's speculations...'

 

Dara scanned through the pictures. It was somewhat blurry, but she could recognize Jiyong from a mile away. It was definitely him. The girl—Nana—sat beside him and they were indeed laughing. The news was right. She was pretty. Dara bit her lip until she drew out blood. Was it true? Did Jiyong plan this trip so she wouldn't have any idea what's going on?

 

Placing her phone on the coffee table, she brought the spare key and ambled her way to the front porch. She needed to think. Once she got to the shoreline, she took a deep breath. She could taste the mix of iron and the saltiness of the sea breeze in her lips. She removed her slippers and stepped forward, burying her toes in the sand and letting the water soak her feet. The next twenty minutes were spent just staring into the ocean and listening to the waves as it rolled to the shore. It calmed her down. Dara heard music. It was coming from somewhere down the beach. Picking up her flip flops, she decided to check it out. She hadn't gotten very far when she realized it was a wedding reception. The guests were all seated on cozy pillows placed on the sand and they were currently cheering for the newly wed who looked perfectly happy as they fed each other cake. 

 

"Romantic, isn't it?"

 

Dara yelped in surprise. Sitting on top of the boulder behind her was a guy in a tux. He looked about her age or probably younger. His long legs were splayed in front of him, his black tie askew, his hair disheveled and hanging from his hand was a small bottle of Jack Daniel's. 

 

"Want some?" He nonchalantly offered. She quickly shook her head. "I actually don't drink, but desperate times call for desperate measures, you know what I'm sayin'?" No. She didn't know what he was saying. "Bride or groom?" 

 

She frowned. "Sorry?"

 

"Who are you related to? Bride or groom?"

 

"Um...Neither. I was just passing by."

 

He laughed and jutted his thumb out to her. "Good for you!" 

 

People started clinking their glasses and chanting 'Kiss Kiss Kiss!'

 

"Aiiisht!" The guy suddenly jumped down and landed unsteadily beside Dara. Scowling at the couple, he then started to walk away. She had no qualms about it only there was one problem. He was heading to the direction where she came from. She tried hard not to break the trance he was in as she silently followed him from behind. He whirled around and narrowed his eyes at her. "You stalking me?"

 

"A-aniyo! I just happen to live there." She pointed to the blue house on the beach. 

 

Capping the bottle, he gestured to the empty space beside him. "It's okay. I'm not going to bite."

 

"Um, I don't really know you."

 

"Hmmm. Majayo." Struggling as he put the bottle inside his suit jacket, he then extended his hand to her. "Seojoon. Name's Park Seojoon."

 

Dara stared blankly at him. 

 

"You don't want me to know your name." He nodded. "Arasso. I respect your right to privacy." Seojoon whirled around and continued to walk in a funny way. 

 

"You're drunk," she can't help but state the obvious. 

 

He snorted. "I'm tipsy not drunk. Besides, it's the damn shoes." He suddenly plopped down the sand and kicked his shoes off followed by his socks. "Aaah. Much better." He raised his eyes to look at her. "You can sit, you know. The beach is free for all."

 

Dara didn't know why she stayed. Probably because she felt alone in the house and Jiyong's dating scandal didn't help matters. She also felt a tiny bit sorry for this man who clearly was drowning his sorrows in alcohol. Making sure she puts some distance between them, she then sat on the sand, pulling her legs to her chest as she looked at the horizon. "Are you invited to the wedding?"

 

"Uh-huh. I'm the best man." He chuckled. "I'm pretty sure they did that to spite me."

 

She frowned. "Why would you think that?"

 

"The groom is my best friend whom I've known since we were kids. Great guy. Beats my in Mario Kart all the time." He laughed again.

 

"So what's the problem?"

 

"Oh nothing. He just married my girlfriend." He snorted. "Sorry. Ex-girlfriend.

 

"You're kidding." 

 

"Story of my life." He smirked. "I was probably at fault too. I got so busy building a future for us that I forgot why I was doing it in the first place. Who I was doing it for." He rubbed his neck and sighed. "Now it's too late."

 

"You know someone told me, sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can fall together. Maybe that's the case for you too." She smiled.

 

They fell silent for a long while. Only the sound of waves crashing filled the air.

 

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

 

She was taken aback by his question. "What?"

 

"Right. Of course you do. It's impossible for you not to have one." He ran his fingers through his hair. "Aigoo. The universe is on a roll today. First, I had to sit through that awful wedding and pretend I'm a supportive BFF. Now I meet a beautiful girl in the beach and find out she's already taken." He sighed. "At least I get to share this sunset with you."

 

Sunset. Dara's eyes widened. "Omo, ottokae?! I need to go!" She fumbled with her slippers as she stood. Seojoon did the same. 

 

"I guess it's time for me to head back, too."

 

Before she can run, he gently touched her arm and went, "Think you can help me out a bit?" She raised a brow. He pointed to his tie. Sighing, she fixed it for him. "Thanks, stranger." Dara nodded and padded her way to the house. "See you around!" He yelled as he waved. She smiled and waved back. 

 

She ran up the steps and was about to open the door when someone cleared his throat. She turned around and found Jiyong leaning on the porch, his arms crossed, his mouth in a thin line.

 

"So, did you have fun on your date?"