Number one Fan

That Day in Spring

 

 

GD's POV

 

Did I miss something?

 

Since when did TOP hyung and Dara become best of friends? Ever since the little tokki returned from her short absence, she's been less and less chatty. It would've been understandable if she was like that to others. Except she was like that to me. The quirky messages and post it notes did continue however, it has now made a daily appearance in Tabi's coffee, his tumbler, some taped to his lunch tray. Once, I even saw it sticking out of his pocket. I tried not to read into it too much. Despite her introvert nature, Dara got along with the people around her. She was like a walking ray of sunshine with her perky personality and witty humor. At least that's what I told myself.

 

A day before the concert was the day I finally snapped.

 

YB and I were discussing last minute preparations with Hyun Suk hyung when we bumped into some of our crew gathered outside Bigbang's designated recreation area. My stylist, Jieun noona had her ear glued to the door while the others kept pulling her arm.

 

"Yo what's going on here?"

 

They hurriedly scrambled like ants splashed with cold water. "Oh hi there, hyung," Deukie, one of the High tech dancers waved with a smile.

 

"Are you guys eavesdropping?" YB jested. They all looked down guiltily.

 

"Aniyo, it's not like that. We were on our way to the cafeteria when we saw TOP hyung dragging Dara noona inside."

 

"Well, why don't you just open it?" YB suggested the same time I grumbled, "He dragged her?"

 

Deukie shrugged. "We would, but the door's locked."

 

"I told you not to pull out!"

 

YB and I exhchanged a look.

 

"If you hadn't rammed it in, we wouldn't be in this situation! Aiiiish."

 

"So it's my fault?" Dara grumbled. "It was your idea!"

 

"I only wanted to have a little fun. You're the one who got so aggressive!"

 

"Just push it in like I said!"

 

"Okay okay! Let me just move—"

 

"Oww! Not too fast!"

 

"Sorry! It's too tight! !"

 

Everyone gasped. I couldn't take it anymore. Moving back to gain momentum, I charged at the door and kicked it down with my foot. It detached from its hinges before collapsing. In the middle of the room sat Dara and TOP, both their index fingers stuck at each end of Seungri's Chinese bamboo finger trap.

 

"She started it," Tabi quickly pointed at her in accusation. "I told her not to."

 

"What?!" Dara hit him in the shoulder. "You said you've done this before!"

 

"I said Seungri always found a way to escape. I never said I knew how."

 

"You idiots," I hissed under my breath. Grabbing the prank toy, I pushed both ends toward the middle, giving them ample space to wriggle their fingers out. In under a second, their digits were released from the trap.

 

"Ahh freedom at last!!" TOP hyung exclaimed and pushed himself up from the floor. He then grimaced. "Dude, what the hell did you do to the door?"

 

"Yeah, Ji," agreed Youngbae. "You could've just knocked, you know. Geez. Sajangnim's going to be mad."

 

Ignoring their curious gazes, I then turned to look at TOP. "Can I have a word with you, hyung?" When he didn't move, I added, "In private, please." I didn't wait for him to follow and headed straight to the adjacent studio.

 

"'Sup?"

 

"What's the deal between you and Dara?" I whirled around and confronted him. "Why are you always two together? Do you like her?"

 

TOP stared at me for a few seconds before crossing his arms. "What if I do? Is there a problem?"

 

Is there a problem?! Hell yes there's a in' problem. "I...Dara is...she's—" I clenched my fist behind my back. I'm so angry I could punch the in' wall. I took a deep breath. "It may not be the wisest thing to do, hyung."

 

"Why?" He casually leaned back. "She's single. I'm single. What's wrong if we start seeing each other?"

 

"You can't date her."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because!" I tugged on my sleeves in frustration. "She's my assistant. We don't date people from work." 

 

He chuckled. "It's funny that you'd think I'd ever follow the rules. You know I do whatever I want, Ji." He looked amused. "Besides, if I recall correctly, you started going out with Kiko after the two of you worked on a show."

 

"That's different. Kiko's someone from the industry. She knows the loops in the business, Dara doesn't. She's...she's not on our level." I needed to convince him that she's not worth his time. Relationships never appealed to TOP hyung and I feel like it's my responsibilty to protect the little tokki's innocence. "And come on, she's not your type."

 

"Which is what makes her so interesting. She's different. Like a breath of fresh air." He smirked. "I like that."

 

"Hyung—"

 

"Wae? Don't you think so, too?" He took a step forward. "Have you ever considered dating her? Don't you find her attractive?"

 

"This is just—"

 

"Answer the question, Ji." He regarded me sternly. "Did you ever think about it? Even just once? Have you ever wondered what it would be like?"

 

I avoided his gaze. "Don't be absurd, she's my assistant."

 

"What if she's not?" He urged on. "What if you're just an ordinary guy and she's just a normal girl that you bumped into while strolling in the park? Or someone you sat across from during your morning coffee? What would you have done?"

 

I would've told her she's beautiful. That her laugh is a melody worthy of a song. I'd tell her my name and ask her if maybe we could grab dinner sometime. I'd take her with me to the beach, hold her hand tightly while we walked barefoot on the sand. She would tell me a joke and I'd ruffle her hair and smile. When the stars begin to shine and the moon replaces the sun, I'll carry her on my back and sing to her on the way home. And then we'll share a kiss or two with the promise of doing it all again tomorrow.

 

But it's all just wishful thinking, isn't it? I'm never going to be ordinary. Fame demands a price and it needed to be paid. While Kwon Jiyong would happily do all those sweet gestures, GD would not. It's just the way it is.

 

"Your question is irrelevant," came my nonchalant reply. "Besides, I don't like Dara that way. She's like a sister to me."

 

After what seemed to be a lifetime of silent scrutiny, TOP hyung sighed as he stretched his arms over his head. "Oh well. She's too much of a good girl, anyway. I like my women feisty, but at the same time compliant, if you know what I mean." He glanced at his watch. "Aigoo, is that the time? Tsss. I still have a salon appointment by five. Gotta go, bro." He was almost to the door when he turned around and went, "Oh and by the way, it would never have worked. Dara's into slim guys who are younger than her and shares her love for cats. You know anyone like that?" He winked at my dumbfounded expression. "See you tommorow, Jiyong-ah! Ciao!"

 

I grabbed the nearest chair and plopped myself down on it. Was hyung hinting at something? Was it possible that Dara's been acting weird lately because the guy he truly liked was not that douchebag Hae In nor the tall and charismatic TOP hyung...but me?

 

I started biting my nails. "Come to think of it, I am younger than her. She's practically my noona." She loved cats. "Iye's a cat, isn't he? And I've had him like forever." Into slim guys. I looked at myself. "I'm not muscular so that makes me slim, right?"

 

Suddenly overcome with unexplained giddiness, I ran a hand through my hair. "Could it be true? Santokki likes me?" I chewed on my lip. "Wait. Should I just ask her? Ah aniya, aniya. I'll probably scare her away if I do that. But what if I'm right and she does like me?" I buried my face in my hands as I succumbed to a fit of giggles. "Ottokae??"

 

"Jiyong-ah."

 

I got so startled that the chair went over backwards and my mighty fine ended on the floor. .

 

"Ya, wae geurae?" Youngbae asked from the door. "Is this some kind of pre-show mental breakdown? You're scaring me."

 

I scowled at him. "Shut up."

 

He chuckled. "Big day tomorrow, bruh. We need all the rest we can get."

 

He's right. I needed to focus. This is no time to be gushing over something that may not even be anything. Whatever this is, it can wait.

 

 

Dara's POV

 

FWAP!

 

"Oww!"

 

"Here." Bom handed me the chocolate drink she hit me on the head with. I murmured my thanks as she took a sit beside me on the couch. After I heard Jiyong tell Tabi that he only thinks of me as a sister, I immediately bolted from the building and went straight to Bom's apartment.

 

I twirled the straw between my fingers. "Why do I have to be older than him, Bommie-ah?"

 

She sighed. "Age is just a number, idiot. It wouldn't matter if you're the same age or younger, the fact remains that he doesn't like you that way."

 

I gave her a pointed look. "Anyone ever tell you you're harsh?"

 

"Paboya. I'm your best friend, it's my job."

 

"It's my hair, isn't it?" I grabbed a handful of my curls and tugged on it hard. "It's so lifeless! No wonder he doesn't like me. Or maybe because I'm short. Tabi said most of Jiyong's exes were models. I mean, look at Kiko!" I gasped and turned to Bom with wide eyes. "It can't be because I'm flat-chested, right? Omo. You think I should have it made—" She hit me in the head again. "Yah! Stop doing that! My brain's sensitive remember?"

 

"Then why are you worrying over useless things?! Tsss. Nothing is wrong with you—"

 

"I have a tumor in my head."

 

"—except that. Could you stop bringing it up every goddamn time we have an argument? Jesus." She dipped her brush and continued painting her nails in red color. "I really don't see why you ever fell for Jiyong when there are better candidates available for you to choose."

 

I burst out laughing. "Aigoo." Bom clicked her tongue. "She's gone to the deep end."

 

Wiping a stray tear, I asked her, "What candidates are you talking about?"

 

She crossed her arms, one eyebrow raised. "Do Hae In and Seung Ho ring a bell?"

 

"Whuuut?" I snorted. "Hae In is only good to me because he felt guilty for what happened in the past. And Seung Ho," I chuckled, "I've known him since he was ten. He's my best friend apart from you."

 

"That's perfect then! You know, friendship is a good foundation for romance, Darong. Maybe if the two of you give it a go—"

 

"Ya, Park Bom!" I placed my hands on my hips and glared at her. "I'm not going to start dating my friend just because the person I like doesn't like me back."

 

"And how would you know? Did you talk to Jiyong?"

 

I slumped on the couch. "I'm planning to do it tomorrow."

 

"After the concert?" I nodded. "Why?"

 

"I don't think he even remembers, but tomorrow is my last day of work." I've been trying to put it off for a while, but there's only so much I can do to prevent the inevitable. Since I wanted to keep track of the car's progress, I asked the mechanic to keep me posted until all the repairs are done. Yesterday, I finally received the dreaded text. "Once my debt is paid in full, I'll have no reason to see him again and well..."

 

"You're gonna come clean aren't you?" I nodded forlornly. "So like, you're gonna tell him everything? That Jae Suk is not your uncle, but is actually the personal bodyguard assigned to you? That you're Park Sandara, only daughter of one of the country's big time business moguls? And that you were a musical prodigy before you got into a tragic accident which left a tumor in your brain and made you stupid enough to fall in love with him?"

 

I stared at her in awe. "Daebak. That's...that's very thorough." Bom flipped her hair and shrugged. "Though, I'll probably leave out some parts. I don't intend to scar him for life, you know."

 

She gave me a pat on the shoulder. "The truth will set you free, Dara-ya."

 

I frowned. "How do you think he'll react when I tell him, 'oh and by the way Ji, I'm sick. But no worries though, it's not contagious. It's just cancer." I dodged the pillow she threw at my direction.

 

"Smart-," she joked. I glanced at my backpack lying on the carpet. Inside was the gift I made for Jiyong. A memento to remember me by.

 

"You think he's going to like it?"

 

Bom huffed in annoyance. "He better. You didn't spend your whole weekend making that trinket only to have him throw it away."

 

I chuckled. "I'll take your word for it then."

 

Later that night as I was getting ready for bed, sleeping mask on and all, my phone suddenly buzzed. Pulling my bangs into my usual apple hairdo, I then sauntered out of the bathroom to check the message.

 

J: ya ahjumma. R u awake?? 

 

"Omo, omo..." Hopping on the bed, I tried to calm down the erratic beating of my heart by taking a deep breath. Don't be obvious. Just play it cool.

 

D: Yep. What's up?

J: don't u wassup me. Why did u disappear earlier? U didn't even tell me u already left.

D: U were busy and I didn't want to impose. Besides, my shift's done.

J: Shift's not done until I say so. U didn't even wish me luck. So mean.

D: Aigoo, this baby. Luck is for the unprepared. Ur G-dragon. I'm sure you can pull it off. 

 

It took him a few seconds to reply. 

 

J: Begopaaa

J: Feed me ahjumma 

D: You're not home yet??

J: Nope. I had to redo some of the backtrack. Finishing up just now. 

 

Kwon Jiyong calling...

 

What the?! In my panic, I accidentally pressed the end button. Aiiiish stupid touch screen.

 

J: Ahjumma!! Did u just drop my call?!

J: PICK. UP. YOUR. PHONE.

D: Can't. I have a sleeping mask on. It's embarrassing. 

J: I've seen both your bare and - drunk face, Santokki. Nothing will surprise me at this point.

D: I'm not dressed.

J: Jinjja?? Send me a pic kekeke

D: I lied. Gosh, ur such a . I feel bad for the VIPs 

 

KWON JIYONG calling...

 

I heaved a sigh. Making sure he would only be able to see my hair, I answered the video call.

 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

The recording studio came into view. Jiyong was wearing a black sweater with his cap on backwards. He looked in' hot just sitting there doing absolutely nothing. Thank the heavens he couldn't see me drooling over here. "I can't see your face."

 

"I know." 

 

"The whole point of making a video call is so that I can actually see the person I'm speaking to." When I didn't budge, he started whining. "Ahjummaaaaaa!! Let me see your faaaaaace!!!"

 

"Andwae."

 

"You're no fun."

 

"Then call someone else. Bye."

 

"Wait!!"

 

"Wae?"

 

"Can you at least wish me luck for tomorrow?"

 

"Fine. Good luck."

 

He crossed his arms and pouted. He looked tired. "That sounded so dead."

 

Feeling a bit guilty, I yelled, "Hold on a sec!" before running to the bathroom. I removed the mask and threw it on the bin, checking if my face looked somewhat presentable. Well, it's not like it could get any better. I rushed back to the bed and placed the phone on my dresser. This time, Jiyong had a clear view of me.

 

"Good luck, Jiyong-ah! Fighting!!" I gave him the heart finger sign. 

 

His gummy smile instantly had my stomach performing somersaults. "Aigoo. Domo kiyowo, ahjumma!!" Jiyong laughed. 

 

I can't help but smile back. "Do your best, Ji! I'll be cheering for you!" 

 

"Neh. And I'll look for you in the audience so make sure you carry a banner to support your master!"  

 

"Of course. I'm your number one fan! Hashtag VIP till whenever!! Wohoo!!" We both laughed.

 

And in that moment, everything felt perfect.