Sold Out

That Day in Spring

 

 

"Can't say I'm not disappointed."

 

Jiyong and Seungho both hang their heads in shame. If there was someone they respected and feared more than their parents, it was definitely their big sister. The only person in the world who will constantly pick on her brothers for her own entertainment and will not think twice murdering anyone else who does. Dami was Seungho's personal advisor and Jiyong's number one protector. The two boys used to get into petty disagreements when they were little and it was always their sister who acted as the referee. A single glance was all it took to put them in place. And even now that they're grown adults, nothing has changed.

 

She was still scary. 

 

"At least you had the common sense to come to me and not to mom. Or Dad. Now that would be a riot. I can just imagine his face when he sees the two of you. Especially you, Ji." Dami firmly pressed the gauze over his cut and he hissed in pain. "Not that I'm condoning any of this, but dude, our little brother got you pretty good." She burst out laughing. 

 

Seungho shook his head and gave her a rueful expression. "Noona..."

 

"What?" She raised a brow at him. "At least we know those gym sessions are paying off."

 

"Aiiiish! You're not supposed to be taking sides!" Jiyong swatted her hand away and placed the cold compress over his split lip himself. 

 

Dami crossed her arms and leaned back on the couch, pensively studying her two brothers. One looks like he could kill you, but is actually a pathetic cinnamon roll who blushes at the smallest compliments directed to him. The other looks like a pure cinnamon roll, but could actually kill you with his words and at the very least, his fist. Aigoo. These little punks. "Ya, Seungho," she beckoned him over. "C'mere. It's your turn." After hearing Jiyong's wails of anguish earlier, he quickly shut down her request, but Dami cut him off with a glare. "Don't make me repeat myself, young man."

 

Not wishing to get on her bad side, he ambled his way to the couch and offered his injured hand to his sister.

 

"Tss. What do I always tell you?" Dami started scolding him while she wrapped his knuckles. "Your hand is your greatest asset therefore—"

 

"I must take good care of it. I know." 

 

"Look, there's no easy way to solve this. It's unfortunate that you two both love the same person and I get that it's frustrating, but did you ever consider what Dara would feel if she knew you guys are fighting over her?" Jiyong dropped his gaze to the floor guiltily while Seungho fumbled with his hand swathed in bandages. "I don't think she'd be happy at all. If you really love her like you claim to be, then whatever decision she makes, you should accept it like a champ. Whether it's one of you or not." 

 

Finishing her task, she stood and went to the kitchen to make some tea, giving them a few minutes to ponder over her words. When she came back to the living room, they were both standing outside the balcony and talking in hushed tones.

 

"Fifteen years," muttered Seungho under his breath, one good hand on his pocket. "Being friends with her for so long, you'd think I'd get the courage to just ask her out sooner." He shook his head sullenly. "Dara means the world to me and I'd gladly punch the living daylights out of anyone who tries to hurt her." He glanced at him. "Even you."

 

"Yeah. I know." Jiyong raised his eyes to the nightsky and sighed.

 

"But Dara's happiness matters to me too and if..." He swallowed, forcing himself to come into terms with the decision he's about to make. "If you're the one who can give her that then I...I have no choice but to take a step back."

 

Behind the glass doors, Dami quitely listened in.

 

"Do you know why I joined YG?"

 

He shrugged. "Because you wanted to be a singer?"

 

"Yeah, partly. But there's another reason." Seungho tilted his head in silent inquiry and Jiyong took a deep breath. "Because it's the one thing you weren't good at." He leaned forward and gripped the railings. "Why can't you get good grades like Seungho? Seungho plays the piano very well, why don't you try learning it too? Your brother won first place in the scholastic decathlon while you spend your time doing that useless rapping, blah blah blah. Two weeks in the house and you already had my whole family wrapped around your finger." He puffed his cheeks, remembering the bittersweet memories of their childhood. "I didn't hate you because you're my half-brother. Truth is, I hated the fact that I couldn't be you."

 

Seungho gave him an incredulous look. "You must be joking."

 

"Do I look like I'm joking?" He lightly punched him on the shoulder. 

 

"You were...jealous of me??"

 

"Aiiisht." He brought his leg up and threatened to kick him. "Pabo. Stop repeating it."

 

"How come you never told me this?"

 

"And make you feel more entitled? Uh no thank you." Seungho started to snicker and despite feeling ashamed at his sudden confession, Jiyong smirked and laughed with him. "Thing is, you've always excelled in everything. Family, job, career—"

 

"What are you even talking about?" Seungho scoffed. "You're G-dragon. The whole world knows your name!"

 

He scowled. "The whole world knows GD not Kwon Ji Yong."

 

"Isn't that the same thing?"

 

"Ani." His forehead creased. "I thought if I become a successful rapper then maybe the comparisons would end. Maybe then I'll be able to beat you. But I only made it worse. Dad even stopped reading the news because of all the scandals I get myself into." He laughed without humor. "All this fame and I'm still a in' mess."

 

And yet she still chose you, Seungho thought sadly. "Well...we can't have it all, right?" 

 

"Right. We truly can't." They fell into a comfortable silence. Cars honked below them. The LED billboard across their building suddenly flashed Jiyong's latest make-up endorsement and he instantly cringed upon seeing his face.

 

"Well, except for a fancy commercial in a big Jumbotron, as it turns out," Seungho joked.

 

"Ai mwoya..." Jiyong scoffed and they both chuckled. "Ya, Seungho..."

 

"Hmmm?"

 

"Does this mean we're good?"

 

He considered it for a few moments before nodding. "But if Dara so much as sheds a single tear for you again, I'll make sure it's not only your face that's gonna get broken. You got it?"

 

Jiyong smirked and bumped his shoulder. "Arayo."

 

"Aaaww. Look at you guys!" Dami suddenly appeared from behind them. "You make me so proud! Come on, group hug!!"

 

Seungho pushed his brother forward as he slowly backed away. "I don't do hugs."

 

"Andwae!!" Jiyong cried out as Dami peppered him with sloppy kisses. "Get your hands off of me, you old hag!! Seungho, help me!! Yaaaaah!!"

 

 

Dara's POV

 

It's for a good cause...A few minutes more and it'll all be over.

 

"Let's all welcome our next guest, the beautiful Miss Sandara Park!"

 

The audience clapped. "Do it for the kids," I chanted under my breath as I took my position on stage. "Gwenchana. All is well, all is well..."

 

The host greeted me with a wide smile, seemingly oblivious to how badly I was shaking. "For those of you who don't know, Miss Park here is one of our foundation's esteemed benefactors and had been kind enough to offer her support by participating in tonight's charity date auction. And won't you all agree that she's an excellent catch?" A few guys at the front row started to wolf-whistle. "My my! I think you just got the crowd all hyped up for tonight, Miss Park." He laughed good-naturedly while I tried to maintain a poker face. I had to keep my end of the bargain and of all the favors my father had to ask, it had to be this one. "Okay, gentlemen. How about we start the bidding from ten thousand won? Any takers—"

 

A paddle number immediately rose in the air. "Twenty thousand."

 

"Well, that went up fast!" He sounded pleased. "Any one wants to go higher than—"

 

"Fifty!"

 

"One hundred!"

 

I fidgeted with the sleeve of my blouse and kept my head down. Aigoo, this was so embarrassing!

 

"One million."

 

That voice. I immediately looked up. Shielding my eyes from the spotlight, I searched for the current bidder in the audience, only to gasp in surprise when I realized who it was. In the far corner of the room, Seungho sat on a table with two other gentlemen. He was the only one wearing casual clothes, like he just decided to drop by and join the auction because he felt like it. In fact, I don't even remember telling him about this. "One million won," he repeated in a louder voice. 

 

"Alright! Now we're talking!" I wanted to deck the auctioneer. I know it's his job, but he seems to be thoroughly enjoying this. "One million won for our beautiful Miss Park here. One hundred to a million, do I hear a point five anybody? Anyone? One point five—"

 

"One point five!" A dude in his fifties yelled out. 

 

I quietly observed Seungho as he calmly placed his chin on his hand. He actually seemed bored by the whole ordeal as he once again raised his paddle number. "One point eight!"

 

"Wait!" shouted the same guy. He halfway turned in his seat and talked to someone behind him. After a few nods, he faced forward and announced his counteroffer. "Two million!"

 

"Omo. What a generous crowd we have here! One point eight to two million! Anyone wants to bid higher may do so right now!" 

 

I bit my lip and tried getting Seungho's attention, hoping to send him my distress call telepathically. But he wasn't even looking at me. He tilted his head to the side and seemed to be staring at something across the room. 

 

"Two million going once! Going—"

 

Seungho, you jerk! Raise it up or I swear to God I'll—

 

"Three million!" he finally shouted. 

 

"We got three million! Do I hear a three point five? Anyone?" He picked up his hammer. "No? Okay! Three million, going once! Going twice..."

 

Please please please...

 

"...SOLD to the gentleman on the back! Congratulations!"

 

Uttering my thanks, I hurriedly stepped off the stage. The host was saying the closing remarks when Seungho appeared out of nowhere. He grabbed me to the side. I gave him a questioning look, but he merely brought his finger to his lips and gestured for me to follow him. We passed through a couple of hallways in a hurry, my shoes creating a squeaky sound on the linoleum floor. He only stopped when we reached the basement. 

 

"Seungho, you just donated three million won to charity. I don't think they'll take it against you if we leave the event early, you know." I hit him playfully on the shoulder. "What are we even sneaking around for?"

 

He shrugged. "I don't know. Ask him."

 

I scrambled behind Seungho when a dark figure suddenly stepped out of the shadows. Except for the distinct angel tattoo on his nape, Jiyong was almost unrecognizable in his black ensemble. He pulled his mask down to reveal that adorable gummy smile. "Annyeong, ahjumma."

 

I openly gawked at him. "W-what are you doing here?"

 

"I'm here to claim my prize."

 

I glanced at Seungho. He rubbed his neck and sighed. "He's actually the one who bid on you. I merely acted as his emissary."

 

"Mianhe, Santokki. I wanted to be down there, but Seungho insisted it wasn't a good idea." He glared at his brother.

 

"Because it isn't, you idiot. What do you think will happen if people saw G-dragon attending a charity date auction? It'll be pure chaos!"

 

"Okay okay. Geez." Jiyong turned his attention to me. "Speaking of. We better leave now, ahjumma, before the press gets a whiff of my presence here." He took hold of my hand and started dragging me to the waiting car. 

 

"Wait!" I crossed my arms. "Since when did the two of you become friends? And you." I narrowed my eyes at Seungho. "You've been avoiding me for three days! No texts, no calls. I was worried sick!"

 

He looked guilt stricken. 

 

"You didn't contact her?" 

 

"I needed time to think."

 

"What are you, a ing girl? No offense, love."

 

I glared at Jiyong. 

 

"Dara, I'm sorry. But now's really not the time and place to explain." 

 

"Seungho's right." 

 

I was adamant to stay rooted to the spot, but Jiyong leaned in to whisper on my ear, "I'll tell you everything in the car."

 

Heaving a sigh, I decided to let this one go. Seungho opened the passenger door for me while Jiyong circled around to get to the driver's side. I held his hand before he could close it. "Seungho—"

 

"You're lucky to have me, I know." He grinned and ruffled my hair. "Stop worrying and try to have fun tonight. Arasso?"

 

I nodded. "Thank you." 

 

He secured the seatbelt around me before closing the door. I rolled the window down and waved at him. He glanced at Jiyong. 

 

"Take care of Dara...hyung."

 

Jiyong looked startled at the honorific, but he quickly hid it with a smile. It must be the first time Seungho ever referred to him as his older brother.

 

"Neh. I will."