Just Desserts

That Day in Spring

 

 

GD's POV

 

The truth is, I'm not perfect. I mean, I screw up more times than I care to admit.

 

I remember a few years back when I tried helping YB land a date with a girl he fancied back in high school. His irrational fear of talking to the opposite hindered him from having a potential love life. So I did what I thought was necessary. I went ahead and made dinner reservation for two at this diner where my aunt worked (I was just a trainee so a classy restaurant wasn't really an option), bought movie tickets with some of the money I saved from cleaning studios and finally, I asked the girl out on his behalf. You'd think my best friend would be overwhelmed with happiness, right? 

 

Wrong.

 

He basically spent the next twenty-four hours ignoring my existence. Didn't say a damn word. Considering that we lived together in a single dorm room, you'd think it'd be hard to make yourself scarce, but Youngbae made the impossible possible. To be honest, his silence was way worse than a million punches to the face. Found out later on that the girl thought that I was the one making moves on her and decided to explicitly demonstrate her disappointment when YB showed up instead of me.

 

Needless to say, my career as a matchmaker was permanently revoked from then on. 

 

Where am I going with this? Good question. Well, what I'm trying to say was that despite my predilection to committing errors when it comes to other aspects in life outside my music, my memory was otherwise sufficient.

 

That being said, I'm willing to bet my liver that Dara was the same girl who patched me up that night. I just don't get why she's denying it.

 

"You were wearing a pink scarf."

 

"I hate pink," she deadpanned.

 

We just came from the Song's residence shortly after dropping Haru home. The kids were exhausted from the outdoor activities they did earlier that they ended up sleeping during the whole ride. After making sure they were fine, we started walking toward the bus stop, giving me the perfect opportunity to put Dara under interrogation.

 

"You also gave me a bunch of plasters with fluffy bunnies on it."

 

"That's highly irrelevant," she surmised.

 

I quickly blocked her path. Let's see if she can dodge this next bullet. "You said I never notice it when I injure myself. How would you know? Unless of course you've met me before..." I shot her a knowing look. "Possibly in a club. Possibly -drunk. And most probably defending the honor of a young lady."

 

She skillfully side-stepped me, her face showing complete disinterest on the matter at hand. "When I hit you with a bar soap yesterday, you didn't even know you had a bruise until Tae Hee pointed it out."

 

Okaaay. Nice save. She was a lot smarter than I gave her credit for. 

 

"You were there. I saw you!"

 

She shot me an exasperated look. "You said it yourself, you were drunk. You probably mistook me for someone else. I mean, alcohol does crazy things to people's brains, you know."

 

I crossed my arms in defiance. "Not this brain."

 

She rolled her eyes. We've already reached the bus stop. I put the mask on again. There were less people around this time, but I didn't want to take any chances. 

 

"You go on ahead," she informed me with a tilt of her chin. 

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"I promised my friend I'd come to the meeting for the town's fundraising event. I'm not actually going to participate, but she said she needed my input," Dara explained, her brows scrunched up in a frown. "You can find your way back, right?"

 

I nodded. "What time will you finish?"

 

"Probably a bit late."

 

I glanced at the approaching bus and then back at Dara who almost toppled over when a guy who was trying to cut through the line bumped into her. Geez, how can I leave her by herself when she's this fragile? I decided to speak out before I changed my mind.

 

"Where is this event? I'll accompany you."

 

She regarded me with a confused look. "Why?"

 

"Because I'm bored. How many times do I need to reiterate that?" I huffed in annoyance and dragged her to the side by the collar of her jacket to avoid getting hit by the sudden rush of passengers wanting to get inside the bus. 

 

"You don't have to go with me," she grumbled as soon as I let go.

 

"You're absolutely right. But like I said, I'm not doing this because I'm concerned for your welfare. No, I'm doing this purely out of self-interest."

 

"Let me rephrase that. You can't come with me."

 

I crossed my arms. "And why not?"

 

She sighed again. Was she tired? Why does she keep sighing? 

 

"The organizers invited some special guests for the fundraising to attract a larger audience. It also serves as a platform to improve tourism for our small town. Anyway, tonight's the final dry run for the concert this weekend so it's bound to be chaotic. Even Mino's band is performing."

 

"Okay," I said, nodding my head. "I still don't see the problem."

 

"Did you hear a word I said?" She looked mildly pissed. Pfft who am I kidding. She's pissed alright. "It's the final rehearsal and the press are going to be there. Do you really want to risk being seen just because you're bored?"

 

"Um, hello? I'm wearing a disguise." I pointed to the mask and scarf. "No one's going to notice me as long as I have this on."

 

She looked skeptic. "I don't think—"

 

"Then don't," I interjected, swinging an arm over her shoulder and flashing her a confident smile. Not that she saw it behind my mask, but whatever. "Didn't you tell me to have a little faith? Besides, it's not like you're gonna draw attention with that drab outfit you chose for today. What did you do, raid your grandma's closet?"

 

"It was actually from the same pile where you got your shirt from," she counterattacked. 

 

"Touché. All I'm saying is that you're not the type of girl that ends up in a dating rumor with me, no offense."

 

"None taken," her swift reply came with a snort. "And FYI, you're not as attractive as they made you to be."

 

I clutched a hand to my chest. "That genuinely hurt."

 

She shrugged. "The truth always does."

 

What did I tell you? Major savagery.

 

"You're not going to ditch me when we get there, are you?" For some reason, the little tokki seemed to possess a vendetta against me so I have to take precautionary measures.

 

"Even if I wanted to I can't." Dara looked disappointed. The nerve. "Jae Suk would kill me if I lost a valuable client." 

 

"That's right," I said, sounding a little smug in the ears. "I'm valuable. You gotta protect me at all times."

 

The expression she was making clearly told me that she wanted to do the exact opposite. I wonder if she's ever killed someone before. I hope I never find out.

 

"When we get there, I suggest you let me do all the talking."

 

I frowned. "What am I supposed to do then?"

 

"I don't know. Just stand in a corner and look stupid. I'm sure it'll come naturally to you." She smirked and started walking.

 

Oh. This was so on. Payback's going to be real sweet.

 

 

Dara's POV

 

Just my luck. 

 

I made a quick detour as soon as I saw the back of his head. Why is he here? It's highly unlikely that it skipped Bom's mind to inform me that he's back in town. I'm going to kill her.

 

"Dara!"

 

Sh*t. 

 

I pretended not to hear him and power walked my way to the bleachers. 

 

"Dara!!" 

 

I felt him grab my wrist. Knowing that I coudn't ignore him any longer, I turned around and came face to face with the last person I wanted to see right now.

 

"Hey," he greeted with a timid smile, flashing me a row of perfect white teeth.

 

His dark hair had grown out ever since he had it shaved a few months back. Not that I was keeping tabs, of course. I don't have any social media account so I wouldn't know. And it's not like I asked Bom to show me how it works in case I want to have updates with the outside world. It was also purely by accident that I clicked on his picture and saw that he had indeed cut off his hair. I mean, I wouldn't do that on purpose, that's just creepy.

 

"I almost didn't recognize you." Hae-In's chocolate brown eyes roamed my face as if in search of something while mine eagerly drank the sight of him on its own accord. He's actually gained muscle judging from the way his clothes accentuated his body perfectly. I inconspicuously pinched my arm to dispel the unlady like thoughts that were starting to play out in my mind.

 

Aigoo Dara, have you no shame? Tsk.

 

His brows furrowed as the next words left his mouth in barely a whisper. "Are you doing well?"

 

"I'm f-fine." Great. Now I'm stuttering. 

 

"Your hair's longer now," he lightly commented, putting both hands inside the pockets of his padded jacket. "It suits you."

 

My brain momentarily short-circuited. I bowed my head to cover the stupid blush spreading all over my cheeks. "T-thanks."

 

This conversation was rapidly going downhill the moment it started. I can't even make eye contact, it's ridiculous. We both glanced at the stage; me pretending to find the strobe lights an excellent piece of human invention instead of just laser beams threatening to rip my sense of sight. Despite the numerous sound checks and scraping of chairs on the floor, the awkward silence between us was deafening.

 

After a long moment—in actuality it was only a few seconds—at which point I was already planning to just shrivel and die on the spot, he cleared his throat to which I was eternally grateful.

 

"Are you here to watch the rehearsals?"

 

I nodded, nervously tugging the cord of my bracelet. "I, uh, thought you were in Seoul."

 

"I was before Bom called me. Said she needed someone with experience to direct the concert and apparently I was highly recommended." He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, a simple gesture that never failed to melt the ice caps in my dormant heart. "Then again, it might've been because she's out of viable options."

 

I allowed myself to smile. "Give yourself some credit. You're good at what you do, you know."

 

This time, he beamed. Once again, a feeling of helplessness stirred inside of me as I looked at Hae In. Is it truly possible to forget that smile? A year stretched out far longer than I've ever wanted it to. There's a million questions hanging at the tip of my tongue, stuff that I desperately needed answered.

 

Are you okay?

 

Do you still hate me?

 

Have you found someone—

 

"Santokki!"

 

I only had ample time to turn my head a fraction when Jiyong's hand circled my waist and deftly positioned me to his side. I blinked up at him, momentarily confused on what he was doing. 

 

"Ya, I was looking everywhere for you! I left for about three minutes to buy some ice cream and when I came back you were gone." Jiyong was obviously talking to me, but his eyes were deadset on Hae-In who suddenly turned stoic under his silent scrutiny.

 

"What are you doing?" I asked in a voice only he could hear and tried to move away from him to no avail. His grip on my waist was seriously tight. 

 

Jiyong finally spared me a glance, his eyes crinkling at the sides. "Here you go. I got you your favorite." He then handed me the cup of strawberry ice cream with colorful sprinkles on top. 

 

Wait. As far as memory serves (and it does serve me pretty well), I don't remember divulging any personal information to him so how did he know I liked strawberry? 

 

"Anyway, we should go. Mino's up next." He sent a curt nod to Hae-In's direction before dragging me away. Eyes still glued to where Hae-In was standing, it barely registered in my brain that Jiyong had switched his hold on my waist to putting it over my head instead, gently maneuvering me through the chairs as we reached the far end of the bleachers.

 

"So..." He casually stated, absently playing with the collar of my jacket. "You and the director, huh?"

 

I whirled around so fast I'm almost positive I got a whiplash. "How did you know he was the director?"

 

Since we were covered by a huge pillar and he was standing with his back to it, Jiyong decided it was okay to discard the mask. He still kept the scarf in case someone would pop out and take pictures of him. As if.

 

"Mmm, let's see." He pursed his lips and made a show of tapping his chin. "Aside from the fact that his whole outfit screamed of business, the name tag hanging from his neck was a dead giveaway." He narrowed his eyes. "And don't think for a second I didn't notice your lack of denial."

 

Once again, my hormones felt it was their business to start flooding my cheeks with as much blood supply it needed. "He's not...I mean, we're n-not..." My stuttering only increased his grin exponentially. I mentally kicked myself in the ribs. "We're just friends."

 

He clicked his tongue and proceeded to poke me in the nose. "You're a pretty bad liar, Santokki."

 

"Thanks."

 

He looked at me questioningly. "I just told you you at lying and you think that's a compliment?"

 

"You called me pretty." I stuffed my mouth with ice cream. "You know, you should compliment people more often. Gotta put that mouth of yours to good use, once in a while."

 

A mischeivous glint shone in his eyes the exact second I realized the implication of what I had said. Before I can arm myself, Jiyong had already stepped closer, bothering my line of sight with his irritating gummy smile. 

 

"I can think of one particular use for it," he whispered in a husky voice I didn't know he possessed. "I normally don't give it for free, but for you, I'm willing to make an exception." His smirk grew when he noticed how uncomfortable I was with the sudden invasion of my personal space. 

 

Refusing to be one of those cliché flustered fans who swoon at the sight of him, I just went, "Oh grow up," before punching him in the stomach. 

 

He muttered an epithet of choice words. What a baby. It wasn't even that hard. "Ya! You have got to stop hitting people!! Geez."

 

"Can't. Force of habit."

 

"You're so violent," he grumbled as he nursed his 'aching' body part. 

 

"And you're obnoxious."

 

"Just so you know, your hair smells like a lonely cat just curled up and died there," he complained, making a disgusted face as if to prove his point.

 

"You're the lonely cat."

 

He snorted. "If I were, I'd think I'd choose a more sanitary place to rest in peace, thank you very much."

 

"You'd probably just come back to life again, what with cats having nine lives and all. You'd be the annoying cat that doesn't go away."

 

"Again, just like the smell of your hair."

 

I flicked a generous amount of ice cream on his face. It landed right on top of his nose and continued to drip down to his pristine shirt. He froze for a few seconds, his mouth forming a little 'O' before his eyes narrowed at my direction.

 

"You. Are. So. Dead."

 

I stifled a smile. "You know what, I take it back. I think I do like the color pink." He growled and I took it as a signal to start running for my life. 

 

"Come back here, you little rabbit!!"

 

I faintly heard Mino's voice in the background as I parkoured into the railings, laughing at the way Jiyong clumsily slipped over a bottle of soda and tumbled directly into the space between the bleachers, his head coming out on the other side. 

 

I deviously took out my phone and snapped a quick photo of him before slipping it inside the back pocket of my jeans. Wiping a stray tear from under my eye, I ultimately decided to help the poor bloke. He was our VIP guest, after all. It was when I tried hauling him up to his feet when realization dawned on me that it was probably the first time in months that I was reduced to tears from laughing hard—or just laughing for that matter. 

 

 

Huh. Must be the ice cream.