Realizations

That Day in Spring

 

 

GD's POV

 

"Would you like it in a cup or cone, sir?"

 

"Cup, please. And could you put some sprinkles on top?"

 

"Yeah, no problem," the girl answered with a smile.

 

It was a good thing that the ice cream parlor wasn't packed. Right now, there were only three other people around—a lovey-dovey couple feeding each other with cake and a little boy perched on one of the stools, sipping his milkshake with complete abandon. I remember being his age and getting overly excited everytime my father takes me out for ice cream, much to my mother's chagrin. She hated it when I'm pumped up with too much sugar 'coz I tend to run around the house like a human tornado.

 

Ah, what fun times they were.

 

The little kid must've noticed me looking at him because he suddenly pulled his glass closer to his chest, almost as if he was afraid I'd steal it.

 

Aigoo. What a cutie.

 

"Here's your order, sir."

 

Taking the cup, I thanked the girl behind the counter before walking out the door. It was rather weird that the little Tokki suddenly craved for an afternoon snack because if I remember correctly, she just ate a bag of chips right after we made the deliveries. She had some serious appetite, that's for sure.

 

I was contemplating whether to go back and buy a tub of ice cream for later when I saw Dara running toward my direction. Raising the delectable treat above my head, I waved my free hand to catch her attention. She didn't seem to notice as she leaned forward to catch her breath. Glancing further up the street, I saw an incoming vehicle appear from the intersection a few blocks away. I returned my gaze at the tokki, certain that she'd be able to cross safely in time. I calmly waited for her to reach my side.

 

Why isn't she moving?

 

The No Walking sign finally blinked and to my confusion which abruptly turned to extreme horror, Dara merely looked at the approaching car then closed her eyes. 

 

What the actual fck—

 

When it was clear that she had no intention of saving herself, I recklessly threw the ice cream to the ground, sprinting toward the immobile girl and knocked her out of the way. We stumbled into the sidewalk, my hand automatically cradling Dara's head as my back hit the pavement. I heard a few panicked screams around us, but I didn't care. I was more worried about the girl in my arms.

 

"Are you okay?!"

 

She didn't say anything, but I felt her shaking in my grasp. With a groan, I pushed myself from the ground, bringing her up with me.

 

"Ya, tell your girlfriend to watch where she's going!" The driver of the sports car who almost hit Dara yelled over his window. "Crazy b*tch."

 

I let out a few expletives, words that would make the dead roll in their grave with every intention of pummeling it through the douchebag's ear canal. But before I could take so much as a step, Dara buried her face in my chest, her small hands clutching the front of my shirt.

 

"Ji..." She said hoarsely, her voice muffled as she shook her head.

 

I looked around at our growing audience, their curious eyes trained on us in silent speculation. Balling my hands into fists, I cursed under my breath. She's right. It wouldn't do me any good if I make a scene right here. In fact, this was the exact opposite of blending in. For the first time in my life, I wished I had my security team with me. Dong-Gil would have easily taken control of this crowd.

 

"Bunch of weirdos," the oaf mumbled, still loud enough for me to hear before rolling his window up and speeding away.

 

Still pissed at the missed opportunity to punch the d*ckhead, I placed my hands over Dara's shoulders to hold her at arms length. "Are you stupid?! Why didn't you move?!" I hissed scathingly, my voice hard with supressed anger. 

 

Her gaze remained fixed on the ground.

 

"If I hadn't pushed you out of the way, you would've been dead by now." Still no response. "Are you even listening to me?"

 

All of a sudden, her shoulders shook as tears fell down her cheeks like a steady stream.

 

What the...was she crying?

 

"Y-ya..."

 

She whimpered as soft sobs started racking her petite form. Oh boy. Here come the waterworks.

 

I'm not really well-versed on how to address a distraught woman so I followed my instinct and hugged her to my chest, both to calm her down and to muffle her cries which was drawing more attention by the minute.

 

"I'm sorry, Santokki. I didn't mean to shout at you." I patted her head in a comforting manner. "You had me worried, you know."

 

She sniffled. I really hope she doesn't get snoot on my shirt.

 

"There, there."

 

I'm actually surprised that she broke down in front of me. I wasn't used to this side of her. I didn't realize it until now, but in my head, Dara had always been a tough cookie who didn't take sh*t from anyone. It was odd seeing her this vulnerable. 

 

It took about ten minutes before she stopped bawling her eyes out. I offered her my handkerchief so she could clean herself and insisted that she need not return it. Quite frankly, I'm certain no amount of detergent could disinfect that amount of mucus secretions.

 

"Do you want to eat something?" I figured she'd be hungry. I could've given her the ice cream if it wasn't already a puddle of sticky goodness on the cement.

 

She shook her head, her eyes red and puffy from all that crying.

 

"Mmmm..." I scratched my chin. "Do you wanna go to the park?"

 

Another no.

 

I sighed. "Well, what do you want to do then?"

 

In retrospect, I shouldn't have asked. She had told me—more like commanded—to inform hyung that we went home ahead because she wasn't feeling well. And then right before reaching the bus stop, she dragged me into a convenience store and instructed me to purchase three bottles of soju. I didn't want to, of course, but her lower lip started quivering and I immediately got the hint. She then spent the next hour drowning herself in alcohol at the patio, totally forgetting my presence beside her. I talked her ear off multiple times for being overly dramatic. It's not like she died, after all. She just ignored me and continued drinking.

 

She didn't even share. Greedy ahjumma.

 

When she started swaying on her seat, I grabbed the half-consumed second bottle and pulled it away from her.

 

"Okay, that's it. You're done."

 

"No!!" She tried reaching for the bottle, but tripped on her own feet instead. I almost felt sorry for her. Almost. Shaking my head, I looped an arm around her middle and dragged her inside the house. "It's miiiine," she continued to wail.

 

"I paid for it so technically it's mine. Come on," I half-dragged, half-carried her up the stairs. "It's time to go to bed."

 

"I don't want to go to bed!"

 

"Well tough luck, coz we're going."

 

"You're mean." She pouted up at me.

 

"I'm actually surprised you're finding it out just now."

 

When we arrived at the landing, I momentarily let go of her to open the door to her room. I was caught off guard when I suddenly felt her warm breath on my neck.

 

"Tag, you're it," she whispered and bolted toward the next door, her melodic laugh echoing in the hallway.

 

God, give me the strength not to kill her.

 

"Ya, Dara! That's my room!" I managed to catch her by the elbow and she tried kicking me off.

 

"No it isn't."

 

"It really is. Come on, Santokki. I know you hate me, but right now you need to listen to what I say."

 

She stopped squirming, her brows furrowing as she looked up. "I like you," she blurted out.

 

It took me a few seconds to digest what she said before I snorted. "Pfft. Riiight. You're definitely drunk."

 

She blinked. "Why?"

 

"Because there's no way in hell you're telling me that sober."

 

She tilted her head to the side. Her expression that of pure confusion. "Why not?"

 

I raised a brow. "You hate me, remember?"

 

"I don't."

 

"Yes, you do."

 

"But I don't."

 

"Yes you do. You always call me bastard, jerk, or royal pain in the . I heard you tell Mino the other night that you wouldn't date G-dragon even if he's the last man on Earth. If that's not hatred then I don't know what is."

 

She pursed her lips. "I don't like GD."

 

"Gee, thanks. I got it the first time. There's no need to—"

 

"I like Jiyong."

 

I stared at her. How hard did she hit her head exactly?

 

"What?"

 

"I said I like Jiyong."

 

"I heard what you said, I'm not deaf." I crossed my arms, my brows knitting together. "How can you like Jiyong and not G-dragon? I mean, you do know they're both me, right?"

 

She shook her head violently, her hair whipping around her face. "GD not r-real," she said with a slight slur. "Jiyong-ah," she murmured, "Jiyong is." She then lost her balance and my arm shot out to catch her, but I wasn't able to right myself up in time so we both ended up falling on the bed.

 

"Aiiiish. Seriously," I grumbled. She was currently straddling me, her legs on either side of my body as she giggled like an idiot. "You're in my bed, Santokki. Go sleep on yours."

 

"But this is waaarm," she whined, burying her face on the crook of my neck. She was trying to get into a comfortable position when her left leg accidentally rode up on my hip and grazed that area.

 

Sh*t.

 

I swallowed, suddenly fully aware that there was a living breathing girl lying mostly on top of me. I mean I knew Dara was a girl, but up until now, I never really thought of her that way.

 

"Ya, a-ahjumma g-get off." I hate how strained my voice just sounded. I cleared my throat and poked her arm repeatedly. "Seriously, you need to go or I'm going to kick you out."

 

She groaned and looped her fingers around my neck, bringing us even closer. I could feel her softness pressed to my side which wasn't entirely helping the situation. Raising my eyes to the ceiling, I tried to think of random things that could distract me from acting on my urges, like visualizing Iye playing the guitar or my dragon vase coming to life and chasing my fellow Bigbang members so it could eat them. I even imagined Hyun Suk hyung dancing to the tune of Psy's New Face.

 

It actually worked...until I felt Dara's lips on my neck.

 

.

 

Holding my breath, I slowly turned to look at her. Dara's face was tilted up, her eyes closed, her pink lips parted a little. The drunken stupor gave her cheeks a lovely rosy tint and as the moonlight entered the window, it illuminated her face and I couldn't help but think how beautiful she looked right then. 

 

Hold up. Nuh-uh. Nope. Don't go there, Ji. 

 

I looked away and chewed on my upper lip, desperately erasing all lewd thoughts concerning the girl clinging to me right now.

 

This is Dara, we're talking about. You got no hots for her. She's not your type! You like tall, big busty women! 

 

I pinched the bridge of my nose, nodding in agreement with my conscience. I can do this. I'm anything but—

 

"Ji..." Dara muttered softly in her sleep. 

 

Who ever said I was honorable anyway?

 

Abandoning all voice of reason, I leaned down and gently brushed my lips against hers.

 

It was softer than I imagined. She tasted faintly of soju and something sweet that was entirely her. My left thumb absently drew circles at her side just below her ribs while I tilted my head to gain a better angle. She didn't stir and so I took the chance to run my tongue lightly on her lower lip.

 

God, she feels good.

 

I cupped her cheek, brushing my thumb against it as I continued kissing her, adding a bit of pressure this time. She softly moaned. I automatically stilled. Slowly lifting my head a fraction, I found her eyes wide open.

 

Oh, sh*t.

 

My hand froze as I realized the seriousness of what I did. Granted, she came to my bed in her own volition, but she was also clearly intoxicated and under the influence of alcohol. I guess I deserved whatever punishment she'll bestow upon me, probably either a bone-crunching slap or a punch to the gut. God forbid she'd cut my balls off. I mean, I do have plans on making a family of my own in the future. 

 

To my utter relief, Dara's gaze became unfocused and she blinked a few times before her lids fluttered close.

 

She was sleeping.

 

I waited a few minutes before slowly removing my hold on her. As my head fell back on the pillows, a feeling of guilt came crashing down on me. I knew what I did was wrong. The worse part was that, I wanted to do it again. 

 

This was going to be a long night.