Brother's Keeper

That Day in Spring

 

 

Seungho's POV

 

The moment I received his text, I knew something was off. Thing is, Jiyong never contacts me unless:

 

1. He's seriously wasted

2. Dami forces him

3. He has a favor to ask

 

I was strongly leaning toward the latter. Jiyong was fooling himself if he thinks I haven't figured it out yet. I'm not stupid. Certainly not gullible. Dara's strange behavior during the launch triggered my suspicion and as the night progressed, things just unfolded on its own. I didn't even have to do any digging. My painstakingly transparent brother who couldn't even hide his emotions to save his life solved that for me. His gaze never wavered from my date and despite Dara's efforts to act nonchalant, I still caught her sneaking glances at Jiyong when she thought I wasn't looking.

 

It genuinely hurt, to be honest. We were finally taking it slow and I thought things might actually work between the two of us. She was smiling ang laughing again. She even told me she had a wonderful night when I took her out to the movies last week. I should've known it wouldn't last long. I'm a very patient man, mind you, and I try very hard to understand the circumstances I'm dealt with. But I'm not a saint. I have my limits. And right now, I'm teteering dangerously close to it. 

 

"Good evening, sir! Table for one?"

 

I shook my head. "I'm with someone. I think he's—"

 

"Seungho-ssi!" I whirled around and spotted Seungri waving at me from the back. "Over here!"

 

I thanked the waitress and ambled my way to their table. Jiyong was there, along with his fellow Bigbang members.

 

"Orenmanya, little brother." Tabi offered me a pat on the back."You look great."

 

"Thanks, hyung. It's good to see you, too."

 

"Wassup, dude," YB waved with a smile while Daesung settled for a fist-bump. When I took a seat across Jiyong, he merely tilted his chin to acknowledge my presence. I did the same. Without a word, he started filling my plate with cooked meat before placing a bottle of beer in front of me. 

 

"Thanks."

 

"No problem."

 

We both stared into space. If this was a movie, you'd probably see a tumbleweed blowing in the wind around us. TOP hyung clapped his hands together. "Alright! Now that you're here, we better get going then." 

 

I frowned. "You guys are leaving already?" 

 

"Yep. We're really tired from our guestings today," explained YB.

 

"Plus, I have an early call time tomorrow," added Daesung as he yawned. "I badly need to get some shut-eye."

 

I glanced at Tabi. "Uncle duties," he answered, his hands raised in apology. My gaze fell on Seungri. "Um...I—" he started to stand, but Jiyong was fast enough to grip his shirt, pulling him down again. 

 

"You're staying." 

 

"But hyuuung—" Jiyong shot him a pointed look and he automatically kept his mouth shut. When the others finally left, I ran out of words to say so I picked up my chopsticks and started eating.

 

"So..." Seungri began, "what are you up to these days, Seungho-ssi?"

 

I swallowed my food before giving him a reply. "I'm currently working on a new project."

 

"That's...interesting." He tilted his head to the side. "Um, what is it that you do for a living again?"

 

I glanced at Jiyong. He's trying hard not to give anything away, but he definitely looked as clueless as Seungri. "I'm an architect."

 

"Ah, jinjjayo? What are you building?"

 

"My client has an affinity for amusement parks."

 

"Daebak. That's so cool, man! Is it almost done?"

 

I shook my head. "The plans are still underway, but we're hoping to get it started by the end of the year. You can't really rush a big project like this since this is going to be open for public use. Safety is our number one priority."

 

"Neh, majayo."

 

I didn't want to drag this on much longer so despite Seungri's presence, I decided to acknowledge the elephant in the room. Pushing my plate to the side, I turned my attention to Jiyong. "Is there any particular reason why I'm here?" 

 

He took a long swig of his beer before wiping his mouth. "It's about Dara."

 

My face remained impassive. Hidden under the table however, my hands were clenched into fists. "This is the reason why you wanted to see me? Don't you think you should be using your time for more important—"

 

"I'm in love with her."

 

I stared at him, not quite comprehending what I just heard. "Mworago??" I gave a sardonic laugh. "Are you kidding me right now?"

 

Please say that you are. Please. Not Dara. Not her. Anyone but her.

 

"No, I'm not." He steadily held my gaze. "I really am in love with Dara."

 

And there it is. My worst fears finally confirmed. The room started to spin and I felt my airways narrowing by each passing second. I need to leave. Grabbing my wallet, I procured some bills and left it on the table before standing up. "That should be enough to cover my share." Without further ado, I turned around and headed for the exit.

 

"Seungho-ssi!" Seungri called out.

 

I ignored him and quickened my steps, paying no heed to the complaints of those people I bumped along the way. I needed to get to my car. Breathe, Seung Ho. Just breathe. Unbottoning my suit, I reached into my pocket and retrieved my keys. By the time I arrived in the parking lot, my hands were already shaking.

 

"Ya, Seungho—"

 

"Get the away from me,"  I hissed menacingly right before shoving him. He stumbled to the ground.

 

"Hyung!!"

 

Jiyong held his hand out and motioned for Seungri and his bodyguard to stay where they are. He staggered as he pushed himself up. "Seungho, listen to me. I didn't plan any of this to happen, I swear. If only things had been different. If only she had been another girl..." He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. "If I could change what I feel, I would've done it already." He took a tentative step forward. "But I can't. Brother or not, I love her too much to let her go."

 

"Sshibal, kaesekki—"

 

He ended up on the ground again after my fist connected with his face. He didn't even have time to recover because I immediately grabbed him by the collar only to punch him again. I felt arms hauling me off of him, but I was too far gone. "Love?? You love her?! Do you even hear yourself?" I snarled and blindly elbowed the one restraining me. "Dara went to my apartment in the middle of the night, crying her eyes out because some jackass stood her up." Jiyong's nose and lower lip were bleeding yet he didn't flinch when I continued to kick him. "What's your deal, huh? WHAT DO YOU IN' WANT WITH ME?!" 

 

"Geumanhae, Seungho!"

 

"No, just let him." Jiyong coughed, spitting out blood before wiping his chin with the sleeve of his shirt. "It's my fault and I deserved that. You're my brother, I—"

 

"I was never a brother to you so don't even ing pretend like you care! Why do you always have to show up and ruin everything?! Y-you're such a...nghhh.." I wasn't able to finish what I was saying because the parking lot started to blur. Clutching my chest, I collapsed to the ground. 

 

 

GD's POV

 

Seungho started wheezing. 

 

"W-What's happening?!" Seungri yelled in panic. I pushed him to the side and called Dong-gil over. "Hyung, help me sit him up!" My brother's eyes were starting to roll back on his head as he gasped for air. "!" I dove toward the driver's side and flung open the door. Quickly grabbing his bag, I searched for his inhaler through his stuff. Where the is it?!

 

"Hyung, what are you doing?!"

 

"He's turning red, Jiyong!"

 

Muttering a series of curses, I forcefully pulled the latch on the glove compartment and finally found what I was looking for. I hurried to his side and removed the cap before handing it to him. "Here." I helped him place the mouthpiece between his teeth. With shaking fingers, he firmly pressed the puffer before deeply inhaling. "That's it, Seungho. Breathe." He took another puff, a few tears dripping down his cheek as he did. I repeatedly squeezed his shoulder and waited for a few more minutes until he was no longer struggling and his face slowly regained its normal color.

 

"Gwenchana?"

 

Suengho nodded weakly. 

 

I hugged him to my chest before crumpling to the ground in front of him. "You scared me to death, dickhead." We looked at each other—him covered in sweat and his knuckles bruised and me with my bloodied shirt, broken nose and busted lip. Just like two peas in a in' pod.

 

"You look like ."

 

He leaned his head back before smirking. "You don't look so great either."

 

"Well that makes two of us." I chuckled and he eventually joined in. We probably look like two idiots laughing with our dumb asses sprawled on the ground.  

 

"Ahem."

 

We raised our heads. Seungri looked at us, arms crossed over his chest and looking mildly disappointed.

 

 

"Aigoo. Does this mean I don't get to call the ambulance?"