Go Away

That Day in Spring

 

 

Dara found herself in front of his door. Red stilettos dangling from her hand, she considered if she should ring the doorbell. It was late.

 

I shouldn't even be here.

 

Just when she was about to turn around and leave, she heard the locks clicking and the door opened. Seung Ho stood in the entryway in a pair of pajamas, his hair slightly damp from the shower. A towel was draped over his shoulder. He took one glance at Dara's disheveled look and opened the door wider. No questions asked. She took a step inside. Slipped her cold feet into the warm gray slippers he always kept ready for her when she visits. Without a word, he grabbed her red heels and placed it on the shoe rack. He took her hand and guided her to sit on the stool behind his immaculate granite countertop. Filling a glass with some water, Seung Ho then handed it to her.

 

She took a tentative sip. Then another. She didn't even realize how thirsty she was. Dara tipped her head back and drank it all. She wiped with the back of her hand before putting the glass down. 

 

"Better?" Seung Ho asked. 

 

She nodded. They fell into a comfortable silence. A few moments later, she heard him sigh. 

 

"Dara, why are you here?" 

 

She focused on the tiled floors. Yes. Why was she here? Great question. Because I got stood up? Because I felt so heartbroken I couldn't breathe? Because I didn't want to go home and end up feeling ten times worse. Because I knew I'd be safe with you.

 

"Um...I just wanted to talk."

 

"You're all dolled up for such a simple conversation that could've been done over the phone," he deadpanned. Removing the towel from his shoulder, he draped it on the back of the chair. "Why are you really here? Is there a problem?"

 

"No," Dara murmured, her bangs falling over her eyes as she shook her head. "Nothing's wrong. I'm fine. Everything's fine."

 

He knew she was lying. He just doesn't understand why. Reaching out, he gently caressed her cheek. "I won't force you. If you don't want to tell me, it's cool." Her lower lip started to quiver. "Just know that I'm here. You're not alone."

 

She raised her head. The dam broke. Dara began to bawl like a child, her hands clawing on her ruined dress. Seung Ho felt his heart breaking. It hurt to see her this way. He pulled her to his chest and let her soak his shirt with tears as he her head. "Shhh...I'm here. I got you."

 

"I'm so stupid!" She sobbed loudly. "I should've l-listened to Bom..."

 

He didn't know what was going on, but the last time Dara cried this hard, a guy was involved. Granted, it was initially her father's fault, but he knew it's something to do with getting her feelings trampled on. They stayed locked in each other's arms for a long while. She gripped his shirt tightly and he rubbed her back in a soothing manner. The clock struck twelve when her sobs finally turned to muffled sniffles.

 

"Why do I always end up getting hurt?" She asked in a small, dispirited voice. "Is something wrong with me?"

 

"Shhh. Nothing is wrong with you. It's the people who reject you that has a problem." He slowly pulled back so he could wipe her tears away. "You're value doesn't decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth, Dee. Never ever forget that."

 

Her nose was red from all that crying. Clutching his hand that cradled her face, Dara gazed at Seung Ho with sadness reflected in those beautiful brown eyes. "Why do you always know what to say?"

 

He chuckled. "Only because you never know what you want to hear."

 

She sniffled, but her tears finally stopped. "Why can't he be like you?" She spoke it so softly that he thought he was imagining it. Her thumb lazily traced the back of his hand. "You'd never hurt me."

 

Seung Ho swallowed. Contemplated if he should take the risk or lose the chance. He stared at Dara. The girl who captured his heart the moment she smiled and offered to crawl under that swing to retrieve his pencil. People wondered why an eligible bachelor like himself never joined the dating pool. The answer was sitting right in front of him. His resolve strengthened. No matter the outcome, Dara was the risk he will always take.

 

"Let's go out," he blurted. 

 

She wiped her nose. "Where?"

 

Seung Ho shook his head. Taking a step closer, he took both of her hands and held it between them. "I meant, go out. Like, start seeing each other."

 

His words didn't quite register and it took her a few seconds to get the drift. "You mean, like...on a date?" He nodded. Dara frowned. "Seung Ho, you don't have to go this far to make me feel better. I'm—"

 

"Who says I'm doing this for you?" She looked confused. He loudly exhaled. Maybe it was time to come clean. "Dara, I'll be completely honest. I've always liked you. Not as a friend and certainly not as a sister. I never acted on my feelings because I know you only see me as the scrawny kid you met in the park all those years ago. And believe me, I respect that. But—" He tucked her hair behind her ear. "—I'm no longer going to stand by and watch people continuously disappoint you. You're everything to me. And I want to prove it to you if you'll let me."

 

Dara remained silent the whole time he gave his speech. She started to fumble with her bracelet. "What if it doesn't work out? I don't want to make you feel like you're a push-over—"

 

"If you decide that I'm really not the guy for you, I'm going to be hurt." Her eyes widened and she opened to speak but Seung Ho cut her off. "It might take a while. I may need to recover from my bruised ego. But know that I will always come back. I will always be your friend. Love is love. No matter what form." He gave her a hopeful smile. "So what do you say? Will you take that leap of faith with me?"

 

She looked down at their entwined hands. Seung Ho had always made her feel secured. And it was what she needed right now. Jiyong was so used to receiving love that he's forgotten how to give it. Her forehead creased. She couldn't believe how low she's stooped and all because she wanted him to see her worth.

 

That's it.

 

She was Sandara Park. She wasn't one to beg for scraps. Not when her own mother left her in the care of her bestfriend's family because she couldn't handle seeing the fruit of her forced marriage. Not when she turned eleven and found out the father she knew wasn't her real one and that her real one only wanted her because he needed an heir. This made her question humanity. Why trusting someone was a big issue for her. The only reason she refused her father's decision to officially announce her as his successor was because people tend to abuse power. She wanted to be treated like everyone else, for others to recognize her not because of her status, but because of her own potential. 

 

Enough is enough. She had a choice. And she's going to choose right this time. Dara squeezed Seung Ho's hand and nodded.

 

 

I deserve happiness, too.

 

 

 

GD's POV

 

 

I'm losing my . 

 

Almost a week has passed and I still have no in' clue where Dara is. I've tried every possible way to find her. I tried asking Bom. No luck with that. If looks could kill, I'd be floating in the River Styx right now. She'd glare at me every opportunity she gets. Once, she 'accidentally' stepped on my foot with her six-inch heels and only feigned remorse when the other members asked me what was wrong. The red-haired girl was a walking psychopath. 

 

Then I tried bribing Mino. Told him I'd help them through the elimination round if he can give me any information about Dara's whereabouts. Like a loyal dongsaeng, he kept his mouth shut and strongly—but still politely—refused my offer. Said he wants to make it to the industry without cutting corners. I may not have achieved what I wanted, but I was proud of how he stood up for his friend. Truth is, I didn't even have to do anything. Last time I spoke with sajangnim, a rookie boy group had been in the works and they were the top pick. 

 

"Yoboseyo? Ji, you still there?"

 

"Yes."

 

"The show's about to start," Dami noona reminded me for the nth time. "And for the love of God, no matter how much you think it's cool, don't be fashionably late, Jiyong. If you do, I'll personally kick you out."

 

"Yes. I'm already on my way as we speak. Aigoo. Your worse than mom."

 

"Whatever. I have to go. I'll see you in a few minutes, arasso?" 

 

"Neh."

 

The call ended and I put my phone back on my pocket.

 

"That Dami noona?" asked Tae Hee from the front.

 

"Yeah. Are we near?"

 

"About a few blocks away."

 

"Good."

 

I don't want her to go bat crazy on me again. No one knew I was coming. She elected not to announce it on social media when they were handing out invitations because she wanted the audience to come check We11Done's newest collection and not wait in line just so they could catch a glimpse of her younger brother. Noona had always hated the paparazzi and the web of scandals I get myself into. If it were up to her, she'd make me quit and help her out with the business instead. When we finally arrived, the driver parked it near the building's extension so I could slip inside without getting noticed. But as it turned out, even with utmost secrecy, people still managed to find a way to ambush me. The moment I stepped out of the car, shouts emanated from up above and I was momentarily blinded by all the cameras flashing in my face. Dong-gil covered my head with a cap and acted as a human shield so I could run toward the back door. 

 

"," I cursed as soon as we got inside. "How insane are these people?"

 

Tae Hee chuckled. "Dude, you're acting like this is the first time it's happened. Dami's your sister, of course they're expecting you to come."

 

"That's why I told you guys to take my car." Dami stood near the wall, her arms crossed over her chest as she glared at me. "When will you ever listen, you idiot?" 

 

I opened my arms and she rolled her eyes before enveloping me in a hug. "Can I be forgiven? I mean, I still made it didn't I?"

 

She pulled back and flicked me on the forehead. "Seung Ho arrived twenty minutes before you." She then brushed some of my hair to the side. "At least one of my brothers know how to be punctual."

 

I snorted. "So the squirt finally decided to show himself."

 

"And guess what," she said, smirking. "He brought a date."

 

Oh? Didn't even know he could ask a girl out, much less talk to them. Psssh. This must be the one who gave him that shirt. 

 

"Come on. There's a few people I'd like to introduce to you." 

 

I spent the next five minutes mingling with noona's business associates. Some of them asked if they could take a picture with me and I dutifully obliged. The venue was spacious and very well-lit. A runway was propped up on the center surrounded by rustic benches where some of the guests were talking and just chilling out. Official photographers keep roaming around to take everybody's picture.

 

"Care for some champagne, sir?" A waiter stopped to ask me. I nodded and took one. I was taking a sip when Dami noona tugged on my arm. 

 

"Look, there they are! Seung Ho!" She yelled out. I turned around and instantly froze.

 

Standing beside my brother, her arm casually looped around his, Dara shyly smiled as one of the photographers took her picture. Her hair was kept in a ponytail that curled at the ends. She was wearing make-up, but it didn't change any of her features and only enhanced her beauty. Her porcelain skin was glowing in that white dress and I can't help but compare her to an angel. Seung Ho finally noticed us and he leaned in to say something to Dara. I felt something stir inside me as I watched her move closer. She looked at him curiously before he pointed to our direction. Dara turned her head and our eyes met. 

 

I don't even know who's more shocked, me or her. I was so out of my element that when Dami noona pulled my hand to meet them halfway, I almost stumbled. 

 

"Noona, congratulations." Seung Ho removed his hold on Dara so he could hug Dami. "The place is really nice."

 

"Thank you," she smiled and patted his cheek. "Are you enjoying yourselves?"

 

He nodded before looking at me. "Um, I still haven't introduced my date. This is—"

 

"Dara," I breathed out. She sent a nervous glance at Seung Ho before pursing her lips.

 

"Mr. Kwon," she acknowledged in a clipped tone. "It's nice to see you again. Have you been well?"

 

Have I been well?! The was she asking that? And why the am I Mr. Kwon?

 

"You two know each other?" Dami asked beside me. 

 

Dara quickly answered, "Yes. I used to be his intern." She didn't even blink. How was she lying so smoothly right now?

 

"You were his intern?" Seung Ho's brows furrowed. "How come I didn't know that?"

 

She softly laughed. "It was nothing. I just spent a month doing administrative work for Mr. Kwon  here. All boring stuff, I assure you."

 

WAIT. A. GODDAMN. MINUTE. 

 

It was nothing? Boring? Administrative work? And again with the Mr. Kwon. Before I can demand what the was she playing at, Dami gestured for us to take our designated seats. 

 

"Go on! You guys can catch up later."

 

I didn't want to move, but Seung Ho already placed his hand around Dara's waist and whisked her away. I was about to follow them when Dami noona took hold of my arm. "Your seat is there." She pushed me toward the other side. I scowled and she raised her brows at me. "Behave, Ji. I don't know what's going on with you and Dara, but I don't want any trouble tonight."

 

Was I that obvious? She shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. "You're such an open book, little brother. Be grateful Seung Ho didn't notice you ogling his date." With a final look of warning, she turned around and entered the backstage.

 

I glanced back at Dara who sat with her legs crossed. She was showing too much skin for s sake. Was she trying to punish me on purpose? I emptied my glass. Taking my phone out, I typed a message.

 

 

J: We need to talk.

 

 

I hit send. The lights suddenly dimmed, but I still saw her open her purse and retrieve her phone. She checked it. Then put it on her lap with the screen down. She was blatantly ignoring me. All this time she knew I was trying to contact her. With my temper rising, I sent her another text.

 

J: We will talk. One way or another.

 

Dara flipped her phone and read the message. She scowled. After a second I received a reply.

 

D: Need I remind you that I don't work for you anymore? Stop texting me.

J: I won't stop. Not unless you talk to me.

D: Then you'll be waiting for a very long time.

 

I looked up and she was already in a conversation with Seung Ho. She was laughing. Fine. If she wanted to play, I'll play.