My Girl

That Day in Spring

 

 

 

 

"Cut it out," she snapped at Jiyong. The bastard was clearly enjoying this. He was trying so hard to keep a straight face, but when he saw her struggling to get on the bike, he finally exploded.

 

"HAHAHA! , my sides are splitting! HAHAHAHA!"

 

Dara flung the water bottle in his direction and it bounced on his chest before falling to the ground. He was still grinning when he looked at her, but at least his laughter went down a few notches. "You're such an ." She glared at him and stomped her way back to the barn, dragging the pink bike beside her with a prominent scowl etched on her face. "I'll ask Mr. Dong to drive me back to the beach house."

 

"Ahhh ahjummaaa..." Jiyong ended up clinging to her arm like a toddler and started doing baby talk, an underhanded tactic he resorts to whenever she's in a foul mood because he thinks that acting all cute would miraculously solve any worldwide crisis. When spouting gibberish didn't work, he finally laid his head on top of her shoulder in defeat. "Aigoo. Is it really that bad?"

 

Bad?? Bad would be putting it lightly. Dara was so sore she couldn't walk without limping a little. After failing to outrun him earlier, Jiyong kept his promise and joined her in the shower, stripped her clothes off like his life depended on it and proceeded to bang her brains out against the wall. She swears his insatiable drive would be her undoing. It's not like she doesn't enjoy making love to him because she does—if her extremely loud moans were any indication—but there's only so much pounding her petite body could take before it breaks. What made the situation worse was that Jiyong liked whispering dirty things in her ear, the kind that should never be said out loud in public because it could drive a person insane...or extremely . Whichever comes first. Her pissed off expression probably triggered warning bells in his head because the next thing he said was, "You know what, let's just ditch these bikes and go by foot. I'm sure it's gonna be fun!"

 

Fun, my , bitterly thought Dara after thirty minutes of trekking.

 

Tourists from all over the world liked to visit Korea's little 'Hawaii,' mostly couples who wanted to spend their honeymoon in a place with a scenic view that radiates a romantic atmosphere and of course Jeju happens to offer just that. She knew Jiyong had done his research well when he told her their next destination was one of the island's greatest treasures. And Seopjikoji definitely looked as marvelous in reality as it did in the picture. Its shores were paved with volcanic rocks in various shapes and sizes, green fields beyond wooden fences that lined along the road where you can watch the sun set on the horizon, bathing the cliff side in orange hues. Her aching muscles were instantly forgotten as soon as she saw the view on top of the lighthouse. Dara couldn't help but feel amazed, her eyes twinkling with wonder as she took in the whole scenery. "Uwaaaa. It's so beautiful."

 

"I told you the climb's worth it," he smugly said and hugged her from behind. Dara leaned back before sighing in contentment, feeling the contrast of the cool breeze on her skin and the warmth of Jiyong's embrace. Stretching his arm, he pointed at something below them. "You see that stone pillar over there?"

 

"Mmm...the one jutting from the bedrock?" She felt him nod against her head. "Yeah. What about it?"

 

"You know, legend tells the story of a fairy descending from the heavens to bathe along the waters of Seopjikoji. They say that the son of the Dragon King fell in love with her at first sight." Dara's shoulders shook as she giggled. "Eh? Why are you laughing?"

 

"Really, Ji? The Dragon King?"

 

"Aiiisht, I'm not making this up. That's really how the story goes," he hissed and playfully pinched her cheek. "Now shut up and let me finish."

 

"Arasso, arasso." 

 

"As I was saying, his love for the her grew stronger each day and the fairy in turn, fell in love with him. However the Dragon King didn't approve of this and so on the day of their marriage, the waves rose high and the winds blew hard enough to stir up a storm that the fairy was unable to come down. He waited for her, but she never came. The man soon died from too much grief, his body turning into stone."

 

Dara grew silent for a few moments. "That's so sad, Jiyongie." She suddenly sniffled, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

 

He chuckled. "Aigoo, my girlfriend is such a crybaby." Cradling her face in his hands, Jiyong lovingly kissed her nose before bringing her head to his chest. "There's no need for tears, love. I for one think it's a happy ending."

 

"But he died," she mumbled into his shirt.

 

"Well if you really think about it, maybe it was the man's choice to die so he could finally reunite with his lover in heaven. Maybe he sacrificed himself to be with her. At least no one would be able to separate them anymore, not even his father, the King."

 

She raised her eyes to meet his. "You think so?"

 

"Tss. I know so." He gently flicked her forehead. "I would've done the same thing if it was your life on the line." Unbeknownst to Jiyong, the weight of his words grew heavy in Dara's heart, almost to the point that her emotions seemed to choke her. Blinking away her tears, she smiled up at him. Standing on her toes, she kissed him softly on the lips.

 

"What was that for?" He asked, his ears turning red from her sudden show of affection.

 

"Nothing," she answered with a smile. "I'm just glad I went on that date."

 

His brows furrowed. "Date? What date?"

 

"You know, the one with that chaebol's son."

 

Jiyong's face drastically soured. "And the reason you're bringing that up now is because...?"

 

"Well, if I didn't go on that date, I wouldn't have ended up sulking by the bar. You wouldn't have saved me from getting assaulted and I would never have met you." She brushed his hair away from his face. "I guess it all worked out in the end."

 

"That it did," he replied with a grin. "So does that make me your Knight in shining armor?"

 

"Hmm...more like my tipsy, silver-haired Prince, actually."

 

"Don't forget the dashingly handsome part," he added with a wink that made her giggle. He smirked before leaning down to kiss her, the beautiful sun setting in the background.

 

**********

 

Despite acquiring an apartment building in Jeju, Jiyong rarely steps outside without his security team to protect him from the paparazzi and usually opts to just do everything in the comforts of his home. But since Dara was with him, he wanted to create good memories with her that they'd be able to remember for the rest of their lives. Which was why with the help of his parents, who arrived on the island a day before them, they were able to organize a small barbecue by the beach. Mr. Dong and his family, who were very grateful for the invitation, spearheaded the cooking while their adorable grandkids, Yumi and Sehun—aged nine and seven respectively—helped out in setting the plates on the table before scurrying down the shore to build sand castles. During dinner, they received a video call from Dami who was currently in New York for her friend's wedding. 

 

"Omo, I'm so jealous!" She shrieked into the phone, a plate of garden salad lay untouched before her. "I can't believe you guys scheduled an impromptu vacation without me!"

 

Dara glanced at Jiyong who remained unperturbed by his sister's deathly glares and gave Dami an apologetic look. "Mianheyo, unnie. It so happens that this is Jiyongie's only free weekend before he flies back to Fukouka to continue the tour."

 

"And it's not like you'd be able to come anyway," he said while making a face. "You're too busy with your own work you don't even have time to check up on your brother."

 

"Oh really now?" Dami crossed her arms and raised a brow at him. "Need I remind you mister that I've already got what you ordered. Be nice to me or I'll change my mind and give it to someone else."

 

Jiyong wordlessly grabbed the phone and got up from the table before sauntering his way to the kitchen. Dara glanced curiously at him over her shoulder. "What the hell, noona?!" He hissed and hid himself behind the fridge, stealthily peeking through the glass doors to see if Dara was watching. She was talking to his parents at the moment and not paying any attention to him. "Yah, you almost spilled my secret in front of her! Aiiish."

 

"Aigoo. Relax, dongsaeng," she scoffed. "I didn't even mention anything."

 

He scowled. "Is it really finished?"

 

"Yep. Wanna see?" Dami reached back to grab something from her bag.

 

"Are you in the hotel?"

 

"Yep. We're having breakfast right now."

 

"How's the weather?"

 

"A bit sunny," she muttered while rummaging through her stuff, "but it gets pretty cold at night." 

 

"Ah."

 

"Eo! Here it is!" She raised the signature blue box wrapped with a silver bow. "Tiffany's had it customized just like the way you wanted it." Dami removed the cover and opened the black box that contained the pendant. "Ta-daaa! Ya, isn't it pretty?"

 

Jiyong's face broke into a smile. "It's everything I imagined it would be."

 

"I'm sure Dara will love it," she told him. He nodded, still staring at the silver piece on his sister's hand. "Let me know if you want to add more while I'm still here."

 

"More?"

 

"Yeah." Dami cheekily grinned, her eyes glinting with mischief. "Perhaps a specific type of ring?" She wiggled her brows to get the point across. And it certainly did. Jiyong understood exactly what she was talking about.

 

"I don't know, noona," he mumbled and leaned back on the wall behind him. "I don't want Dara to think that I'm rushing her into anything."

 

"Omo." She regarded him with wide eyes. "I was only joking, but it looks like you really had plans!" She leaned forward and brought the phone closer to her face. He could see how excited she was at the prospect of him getting engaged. "But honestly, Jiyong. Have you ever thought of settling down?"

 

He ran his fingers through his hair and shot her a sheepish look. "Serious answer?" She nodded. Jiyong tilted his head to glance at Dara. She was cleaning Sehun's hands with a tissue and the little boy was laughing as she tickled his sides. When she finished, she placed him back on the ground and gave him a kiss on the cheek. A passing thought entered his mind, a scenario he had dreamt of once or twice ever since his own mother brought the topic up. In the dream, he was standing on the beach and looking out into the ocean. He turns around and sees Dara walking toward him with a bright smile on her face while holding a small girl who had her brown eyes and his own gummy smile.

 

"Noona..."

 

"Neh?"

 

"I...I think Dara's it for me." He shyly grinned, his whole face becoming red from his confession. "I think she's the one."

 

Dami looked like she was on the verge of tears. "Aww. My little brother is all grown up."

 

"Aiiish, mwoya."

 

"Okay, okay. I know," she said, rolling her eyes at him. "It's too early in the morning for all this drama." 

 

"Actually, it's already past eight in the evening around here." 

 

"You know what I mean, loser."

 

"Whatever, halmeoni."

 

"Yah! You bastard!" They both stuck their tongues out like a pair of bickering five year olds. "Alright. Send my regards to Mom and Dad. And don't forget to hug my future sister in law for me," she added with a wink. 

 

"Tss. Fine."

 

"And if you really want those rings, send me your design, arasso?"

 

He nodded. After blowing kisses to the camera,  Dami finally disconnected the call. Jiyong grabbed a bottle of beer from the fridge and headed back outside. "Where's Dara?" He asked before taking a swig. His parents were busy talking to Mr. Dong and his wife so his mom merely answered, "She's with the kids." Letting the older folks have their quality time, he swiped a can of Coke from the table and quietly approached the trio. Dara scooped some sand in her hands and helped Yumi form her own castle while Sehun was busy throwing rocks on the water.

 

"Omo. What do we have here?" He sat beside Dara who automatically smiled up at him as he handed her the drink.

 

"It's a castle!" The little girl happily informed him with a toothy grin.

 

"Ah, keurae?" He crossed his arms and started inspecting the finished product. "But if this is the castle, where's the princess?"

 

"She got kidnapped!" Yelled Sehun who plopped on the sand beside his sister.

 

"Who took her away, Sehun-ah?"

 

"A dragon!"

 

"A dragon?" Dara mused, smirked at Jiyong who in turn, chuckled at the little boy's story. "Why would the dragon take her?"

 

"Because he's lonely!" Yumi exclaimed.

 

"Ani. He snatched her away because she's pretty," added Sehun.

 

Jiyong leaned forward and pretended to whisper something to them. "Pretty like Dara noona?" The kids giggled before nodding. "Well, that's because she's an actual princess."

 

Yumi gasped, "She is?" 

 

Dara found it amusing how the children were hanging on to Jiyong's every word.

 

"Yep. She really is."

 

"But where's her castle?"

 

"She doesn't need one."

 

"But princesses live in castles."

 

"Most of them," he replied seriously. "But Princess Dara lives in a special place."

 

"Eodi?"

 

He pointed to his chest. "Right here." The expression on their faces were so candidly perplexed that Dara had to stifle a smile.

 

"Aaah! He's a dragon! He ate her!" Grabbing his sister's hand, Sehun pulled her up and they scurried back to the house in a hurry.

 

"Yah! Come back you guys! I meant my heart! She's in my heart!" He leaned back on his hands and watched them hide behind their grandfather. "Aigoo. I can't believe my joke ended up scaring them." Dara laughed and bumped his shoulder playfully.

 

"Looks like someone needs a crash course on babysitting," she teased. They grew silent for a while. Content on just sitting side by side and listening to the waves crash to the shore.

 

"Ya, ahjumma."

 

"Mmm?" She stared at the darkness stretched out before them while sipping her drink.

 

"Let's have five kids." 

 

Dara instantly choked, the Coke almost spurting out of her nose. "Too much?" He reached out and rubbed her back. "Hmm...how about three?"

 

"Where is this even coming from?" She managed to say in between bouts of coughing.

 

"I just wanted to know what you think. I mean, we're heading to that direction anyway, so might as well lay out our options. I personally want a little girl. But if it's a boy then I'll love him just the same." 

 

Dara paused to study his face. It didn't look like he was kidding. She swallowed. "You...w-want to have kids?"

 

"Yep. Don't you?"

 

She blushed. "Uh...Of course I d-do."

 

He grinned and swung his arm over her shoulders. "I want a big family. Like five or six kids so we can play in teams anytime we want to. It's going to be so cool!"

 

She elbowed him in the ribs. "Yah, Kwon Ji Yong. I'm not some baby factory, you know. I mean, look at me!" She grimaced. "You think my body can handle six human beings? Aiiish."

 

He laughed and squeezed her. "Ai, gwenchana. We'll just have to practice everyday then."

 

"Yah!"