Lies

That Day in Spring

 

 

 

 

Jiyong glanced at the digital clock on the computer and instantly panicked. "Oh ! Is that the time?!" Grabbing his stuff from the table, he muttered a quick, "I'll see you guys tomorrow," before bolting out the studio.

 

Not even a second after, Seungri made a move to follow him. Before he could reach the door however, Youngbae's hand shot out to block his path. "Ah ah ah. Where do you think you're going?"

 

"Oh come on! Don't tell me you're not curious?" He glanced at his other members. "Jiyong hyung is totally hiding something. I can feel it!"

 

Daesung leaned back and scratched his head. "He did ask me to smell him earlier. It was weird."

 

"He keeps checking his phone every five minutes," Tabi filled in, his brows in a furrow. "Plus he giggles when he looks at the screen."

 

"Did you notice the amount of food he buys from the cafeteria? He even has it packed. Have you ever seen him eat it?"

 

YB tilted his head to the side. "Now that you mentioned it...I don't think I have."

 

"Exactly!" Seungri clicked his fingers like he was trying to solve a conspiracy theory. "I haven't heard a single complaint from him. Not even when I intentionally messed up that last track. TOP hyung was here. He heard it." Tabi nodded in confirmation. "Come on, guys. We need to get to the bottom of this."

 

YB being the pragmatic thinker in the group, crossed his arms in contemplation. "I don't think that's a good idea. You know how Jiyong likes to keep his personal life private and if he's not telling us anything then there must be a good reason for it."

 

"Remember the last time we 'respected' his decision?" The maknae gave his hyungs a pointed look. "That drug scandal almost ended his career! What if it's like that again?" He gasped. "Omo. What if he and Kiko got back together?!"

 

Daesung shook his head. "I don't think that's it. He seems kinda...happy."

 

"Hyung was also 'happy' when they started seeing each other. Look how that turned out."

 

"Heol. You sound like a sasaeng fan, Seungri-ah. It's creepy," Tabi shivered.

 

"Aniji. I'm just very observant."

 

"Nosy is more like it."

 

"Whatever the case, it's Jiyong's prerogative whether he wants to share that information to us or not. We can't just—ya, Seungri!!" The maknae had managed to silently creep toward the door without them noticing. By the time they did, he was already inside the lift. 

 

Daesung stood from the couch and sighed. "I guess we're all paying hyung a visit."

 

"Aiiish. I'm so going to kill that punk," Tabi grumbled on their way out. 

 

 

 

GD's POV

 

 

"Dara?"

 

I padded toward the living room and found her backpack on the couch. I went to the balcony. She wasn't there. I searched my bedroom. Still no sign of her. Iye was curled up on his cushion and merely swished his tail when he saw me. I swear the little traitor loves my girlfriend more than his own master. Since I didn't want to wait around doing nothing, I decided to get rid of all the sweat and oil in my body so that I would smell good by the time Dara comes back. Twenty minutes later, I stepped out of my room freshly showered in a plain white shirt and gray sweatpants. Santokki was in the kitchen, her apple hair sticking out in the air as she cooked. I wrapped my arms around her tiny waist before kissing the back of her head. 

 

"Gosh, you scared me." She lightly hit my arm.

 

"Where did you go? I was worried."

 

"Sorry. I had to go buy a few condiments from the store." She gave me a questioning look. "Why didn't you tell me you emptied out your pantry? I could've done some grocery shopping before coming here."

 

"Aiiish. It's not your job."

 

"I know," she replied in a huff, turning around to face me. "But what kind of girlfriend am I if I just let you starve yourself to death?" Her nose scrunched up as she scowled.

 

"Aigoo." I pinched her cheeks. "You're so cute when you're lecturing me." I leaned in and kissed her. "Geundae...if you're so worried, why don't you just move in with me? That way, you can be sure if I'm eating right."

 

Dara snickered. "Nice try." 

 

"What? I'm serious, babe!"

 

Disentangling herself from my embrace, she opened the pot and started stirring. "We already talked about this, Ji. Just because we're in a relationship, doesn't mean we're not allowed to keep our own space. And wouldn't it be stifling for you if we're always around each other?"

 

"Nope." I perched myself on the stool. "I don't even understand why you're making a big deal out of it."

 

"Are you kidding me, right now?" She crossed her arms and pointed the ladle at me. "You have Taehee deliver lunch to my workplace every single day. Now everyone thinks we're dating."

 

"M-mwo?!" I exclaimed, my lips curling in derision. "They think Taehee is your boyfriend?!"

 

"Yes. In fact, kyosunim even invited him to norebang on Friday."

 

"Forget it! He's not going!"

 

She chuckled at my petulant behavior. "Relax, okay? I made sure it's all cleared up."

 

"Really?"

 

"Dangyeonhaji."

 

"Well, in that case—" 

 

"I just told them I was single."

 

"You did what?!"

 

"Aigoo. Gwenchana. I'm basically doing you a favor."

 

"No, you're not. You know what you're doing?" I placed both hands on my hips while she looked innocently at me. "Your killing me, ahjumma. That's what you're doing."

 

She snorted. "You're overreacting again." 

 

"Overreacting?! You just handed an open invitation to all the men out there! Now they're going to think they have a chance with you."

 

She sighed. "Would you date other girls who hit on you?"

 

"What?" I scowled. "Of course not."

 

"Nobody knows we're together so if you date someone else no one will take it against you."

 

"A-N-D-W-A-E."

 

She raised a brow. "Not even if they look like Jun Ji-Hyun?"

 

"Even if both Jun Ji Hyun and Kim Taehee pay me to marry them, I'd turn down their offer!" 

 

"Jinjjaro?"

 

"Aiiish, of course!"

 

She beamed and resumed her task with a smile. I hopped from my seat and nudged her. "Ahjumma..."

 

"Mmm?"

 

"What if Lee Minho came in and asked you on a date? Would you say yes?"

 

"What kind of question is that?"--I started to smile--"Of course, I would. Lee Minho's like, the ultimate K-drama oppa. I'd be crazy to say no to him."

 

The ??

 

She burst out laughing. "I'm only joking!" She hit me on the shoulder. "Okay, okay. I'm going to give a serious answer now—"

 

"Ah dwaesso!" I harrumphed and stomped away from her. I was about to go sulk in the living room when the doorbell rang, followed by the evident sound of someone entering my passcode. The locks clicked. Before I could take so much as a step, Seungri and the rest of my members barged in without permission, their loud voices rendering me speechless.

 

"Hyung!!"

 

"I told him this was a bad idea—"

 

"Wassup bro!"

 

"We tried to stop him—"

 

What the are they doing here?!

 

"Ji, who's—"

 

If Dara looked shocked, it was nothing compared to how Seungri's mouth detached from its hinges. "Dara noona?! You're Jiyong hyung's mystery girlfriend??"

 

"Um..."

 

"Yes, Seungri. She is." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Now that you know, can you all get lost?"

 

"What are you talking about? This calls for a celebration!" He ran past me to envelope Dara in a hug. YB immediately raised the plastic bag he was holding. "Good thing we brought soju!"

 

"Andwae!! You're all going home!!" I tried barricading the living room. "Out! Out!"

 

"Aiiish. Stop being such a killjoy, hyung! Noona, is it okay if we join you for dinner?" The evil maknae was batting his lashes at my girlfriend. Naturally, it worked.

 

"I suppose they can?" She smiled sweetly at me. "I cooked enough food for all of us, anyway."

 

"Yes!!"

 

And that's how I found myself squeezed in between Dara and YB while TOP hyung sat next to her followed by Seungri then Daesung. Instead of eating at the dinner table, we decided to bring the food to the balcony. It was a bit cramped, what with all six of us sitting on the floor, but thankfully no one seemed to mind. "Here." Dara opened and ate the lettuce wrap I prepared. She then scooped some tteokbokki and fed it to me. "Mashiso?" I gave a thumbs up and she smiled.

 

"Jiyong oppa!"

 

We all stared at Seungri. He was making an aegyo face in front of me. "Seungri-ah want some wraps, too."

 

Michinom.

 

"Ah, geurae? Arasso. Jiyong oppa will give you one." I chose the biggest one from my plate. "Say aaah..."

 

"Aaah—Oww brgnhfp!!" He almost choked when I stuffed it all in his mouth. Everyone in the table exploded with laughter. 

 

"Ya, Seungri-ah. You liiike??" Tabi . 

 

Dara reached across the table and offered our maknae a glass of water. "You okay?"

 

I chuckled. "Don't fret over him, love. He's fine."

 

"Look at what you did, Ji," she pointed to the stain on Seungri's shirt. "Wait, I'll get some salt." She left before I could stop her.

 

"So..." TOP hyung began. "You've finally grown a backbone."

 

I chuckled. "Yeah. Guess I did."

 

YB slung his arm around my neck. "Congrats, bro. Proud of you."

 

"It's great to see you this happy, hyung." Daesung said with a smile.

 

"What did I tell you?" Seungri piped up, now fully recovered. "You two are perfect for each other!"

 

"Arasso." I grinned and ruffled his hair.

 

"Don't want to be a downer, but does sajangnim know about this?" YB asked.

 

I shook my head. "I badly want everyone to know I'm dating her so we could stop all this secret rendezvous, but Dara doesn't want our relationship to go public. She's worried what it'll do to me," I scoffed. 

 

"She does have a point, you know." TOP hyung sipped his drink. "It would be the best way to protect her from the media."

 

"Hyung's right. Besides, those sasaeng fans can get pretty aggressive."

 

"Don't worry, Jiyong-ah." YB clapped me on the back. "You can count on us. We'll all look out for her." 

 

"Thanks, guys. I—"

 

CRASH. 

 

 

Dara's POV

 

Jiyong looked at the shards of glass around my feet. "Don't move. I'll be right back."

 

I glanced at my hand. It was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't even remember what happened. One minute I was carrying a jar of salt and the next thing I know, it was already on the floor. Ji returned and checked me first for any injuries. "Gwenchana?" I nodded. He then started sweeping the debris while I watched.

 

"Everything okay, dude?" asked Tabi from the balcony. 

 

"Yeah," Jiyong shouted back. "Just give us a second." He then turned to look at me. "Dara, are you sure you're okay? You look pale."

 

"I...I'm fine." I hid my hand behind my back. "Sorry for being so clumsy."

 

"Don't worry about it." He caressed my cheek. "Are you tired? You can sleep in my bed if you want to."

 

"A-aniyo. I probably just had too much to drink."

 

"Jiyong-ah~~"

 

"Go. The guys are waiting for you."

 

"But I—"

 

"It's okay. I still have to pee." Without waiting for his reply, I made my way to bathroom. As soon as the door was locked, I sat down on the toilet seat cover and helplessly watched as my fingers tried to follow my brain's commands to no avail. 

 

'...watch out for some muscle weakness or paralysis...'

 

'...doing everything...better to try higher doses...'

 

'...seizures may worsen...'

 

I blocked the voices inside my head. A year ago, I was forced to take a break from playing music when my spasms got so worse I couldn't even lift a finger. I was informed of a partial remission, but after hearing Bom's father tell Jaesuk about the tumor's growth, I had been in denial ever since.

 

"Please," I whispered in despair. "Please just move. Please, please, please..."

 

My hand twitched. I tried again. Slowly, I was able to curl my fingers into a half fist. I bit my lip to stop myself from crying. 

 

"Dara?" Jiyong knocked. "Are you alright in there?"

 

I hastily stood and checked my reflection in the mirror. Flushing the toilet, I then opened the door. Jiyong looked at me with apparent concern. "What took you so long?"

 

"Girl problems," I lied. Luckily, he believed me. 

 

"Oh. Do you need me to buy some, you know..."

 

I shook my head and smiled. "I'm covered. Thanks."

 

He heaved a sigh of relief. "Good. Let's get back to the table, okay?"

 

I silently nodded and followed him.