Falling in Love

That Day in Spring

 

 

Dara's POV

 

To say that it was a disaster was an understatement. I couldn't believe how fast a harmless meal turned to a full blown interrogation.

 

*Flashback*

 

'How did Dara become your assistant again?'

 

'I applied for the job.'

 

'Surely there were other applicants suited—"

 

'I passed the preliminary interview and met all qualifications.'

 

Samchon crossed his arms and tilted his chin up. It was a stance meant to induce fear. Honestly, he didn't even had to do anything. His massive size and height was intimidating enough.

 

'So you always take your assistants to dinner?'

 

I can't help but roll my eyes. 'We just came from a photoshoot and since we were near the vicinity, I asked him if we could stop by the restaurant.'

 

'I'm curious," he said as he leaned forward, narrowing his eyes at Jiyong. 'Can you talk? Or does my niece do that for you, too?'

 

'Ma Dongseok,' warned halmeoni beside him. 'I rarely get to see Dara because of her father's obstinacy and now you plan to ruin a perfectly good meal with all this pointless badgering. I've no care what you do outside, but in here, within these walls we are a family. And in this family, we respect each other.'

 

After receving an earful from his mother, samchon finally relented. "Arasso. Mianhe, eommonie." Filling his glass with soju, he offered it to Jiyong. "Sorry about that kid."

 

"I-it's no problem...hyung." He bowed his head respectfully. "Thank you."

 

Samchon nodded. 'You have to understand, I made a promise to my brother I'd take care of her daughter. That includes grilling her potential suitors."

 

"Samchon!"

 

He looked innocently at me. "What?"

 

'Forgive Dongseuk's brash words, my dear boy," halmeoni intervened. 'It just so happens that this is the first time Dara brought a guy to a family dinner. She's always been a very shy girl and meeting new people isn't easy for her. I'm glad to see that she's learned to overcome that." She gently clasped Jiyong's hand over the table. 'You must be a very nice young man to gain her trust.'

 

'A-aniyo, halmeoni. If anything, your granddaughter should be the one getting your praise. Dara's a great assistant and an even greater friend.' He turned and smiled at me. 'She has the kindest heart. You raised her well.'

 

It was the first time I've heard Jiyong openly compliment me. Him saying that in front of my family only made it more special and for some unexplicable reason, I couldn't meet his gaze after that.

 

In hindsight, I should've known it was the major turning point when everything started to go wrong.

 

Days after that whirlwind dinner, Daesung and Jiyong were in the studio, recording one of their songs. The latter was casually sitting on top of the table with his eyes closed and arms crossed over his chest. He kept bobbing his head as he listened to the ongoing track. I liked watching him work. He gets very pensive. A slight furrow to his brows as he taps his fingers on the table. He also has this habit of cracking his neck when he's about to give a comment. It was always direct to the point. Music was his passion and it bled through the lyrics of the songs he writes. Jiyong never sends out work that's half-done which is why if he doesn't like the outcome, then he's going to redo it as many times as necessary.

 

'Our fans sacrificed money and time just to support us. The least we can do is give them our all-out performance. It's what they deserve.'

 

He was a perfectionist, sometimes even to a fault. But then again, that's what makes him a great leader.

 

When I saw him roll his shoulders, I knew he was tired. Grabbing a plastic cup, I filled it with water from the dispenser then walked over to where he was. "Here." Without looking up from the control panel, he took the cup from me and emptied it in one go. "You want more?" I asked. He absently nodded. I was about to head back when he grabbed my hand.

 

"Hold on—" Jiyong pressed a button and said something about changing the chorus. He flicked his pen in the air, probably showing Daesung how to properly hit the high notes. I was barely aware of what they're talking about because it was in that precise moment when my heart started palpitating. My gaze fell on our entwined hands. The room suddenly felt stifling despite the air conditioning in full blast.

 

"Got it, hyung."

 

"Okay, let's do it again," Jiyong muttered. The song started to play. He was still holding my hand.

 

"Um..." I focused on my breathing. What's happening? I'm not going to collapse here, am I? "Uh...J-Ji??"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Um...shall I g-get that water for you now?" My voice sounded shaky.

 

"Oh, sorry. Yeah." He grinned and squeezed my hand before letting go.

 

At first, I blamed it on the side effects of my medication. I even tried lowering the dosage like what Bom's sister suggested. However, it only got worse. The next day, I slipped on my own shoelace and landed on the floor with a twisted ankle. Bigbang was rehearsing on stage and they all stopped to watch me pathetically tumble down the stairs. It had four steps. Four! Any toddler could've walked down unscathed, but noooo I just had to roll over like a stupid hamster on a wheel. I got so embarassed that I couldn't even get up. My legs felt like jelly. Then Jiyong had to make it worse by shouting into the mic, "Do you need a wheelchair, ahjumma?" The whole crew laughed. From the corner of my eye, I saw Hae In hurriedly come out the control room, headphones still around his neck.

 

"Noona, are you alright?"

 

I nodded and pushed myself up. As soon as my foot was planted on the ground, my knees buckled and I lost my balance. Luckily, someone caught my waist before I could fall. I thought it was Hae In since he was the one nearest to me, but when I looked up, I was surprised to see Jiyong. How did he get here so fast? I was still pondering over this that I had no time to react when he placed his arm under my knees and picked me up, bridal style.

 

"Aigoo. You really need to eat more. I can feel your bones sticking out." I was too stunned to say anything and merely stared at his face. He pulled me closer. "Loop your arms around my neck, ahjumma. I don't want you falling midway." Dazed as I was, I still did what I was told. Jiyong smirked and was about to head toward the exit when Hae In blocked his way.

 

"You don't have to do this. I'll take Dara to the infirmary." He tried to pry me from Jiyong's hold, but Ji took a step back and glared at him.

 

"I already said I'm taking her."

 

"You can't just leave in the middle of rehearsals. You're the leader."

 

"Exactly," Jiyong growled. "I'm the leader and such, I trust my members would be able to manage without me. Now can you let me pass so I could take care of Dara here?"

 

Hae In's jaw clenched. "I hope you're aware that we're on a tight schedule."

 

"Then I suggest you quit wasting my time and move, Sherlock. The sooner you do, the better."

 

Call it a woman's intuition, but I had a feeling they'll start ramming each other's heads if I don't do something. "Hae In-ah, I'll make sure Jiyong comes back as soon as he drops me off the clinic. I'm sorry for giving you any trouble."

 

His eyes softened as he looked at me. "Aniyo. It's no trouble, noona." With shoulders dropping, he hesitantly moved to the side to let us pass. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

 

I nodded and sent him a smile. Jiyong remained silent as we made our way to the clinic. Was he angry again? What's his issue with Hae In? Ever since they started working together, they've been constantly at each other's throats. I mean, seriously. Men and their egos.

 

"Stop staring, it's creepy."

 

"Sorry." I smiled sheepishly.

 

"That guy still bothering you?" I frowned in confusion. "Jung," he spat out. "Is he bothering you? Do you want me to have him replaced?" His voice hinted that he was not messing around. "I can talk to sajangnim if you like."

 

"No! D-don't do that!" I stuttered. "Hae In didn't mean to sound rude. I'm sure he was just concerned about my injury. He's not usually like this."

 

Instead of going to the clinic, he made a sharp turn and headed to studio 4 where Bigbang usually hang out when they're not working. Out of the many rooms in YG, this was Seungri and TOP's favorite place to nap. Jiyong opened the door and placed me carefully on the table. "Wait here." I watched him retrieve the first aid kit from the cabinet before pulling up a chair so he could sit in front of me. Taking hold of my foot, he removed my shoe and socks. "Tell me which movement causes pain." He lifted my foot up and down. I shook my head. He then turned it to the side and I hissed. "Seems like you've sprained it." He clicked his tongue. "You need to rest. I'll go get some ice."

 

"Wait, Jiyong—"

 

He dashed out of the room and came back a few minutes later, ice pack on his hand. He went straight to work and only spoke when he wanted to know if it hurts or if the bandage was too tight. "Have you done this before?" I asked him as he was finishing up.

 

"I once twisted my ankle at a concert in Osaka. I carried on with the show while limping and having the back up dancers assist me during my performance. At some point it got so bad, I needed a wheelchair to be able to move around." He chuckled at the memory. "It's hard pretending to be cool when you're grooving to the beat with a ing cane in your hand."

 

"Omo. You did?"

 

"Yep. Pretty much."

 

"Kekeke. That's so funny! Um, I mean, I'm sorry to hear that. Must've been painful." I grinned. He laughed and placed my foot over his thigh.

 

"I guess this means you're on house arrest for a few days." Jiyong tilted his chin up and pouted like a child. "What will I do without you, ahjumma?"

 

My heart raced. My palm's sweating. I feel like there's something in my stomach. 

 

Ah jinjja. I don't know anymore. 

 

 

 

BOM's POV

 

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

 

Chaerin was right. I should've nipped this in the bud from the beginning. I was so convinced that she wouldn't end up like the others. Dara was the paragon of all things rational. She basically survived this long because of it. But it's probably true what they say. You don't know love until it hits you.

 

*beep*

 

CL: Unnie, I'm parked in front of the address you sent. Whose house is this?

CL: . Dude appeared from nowhere.

CL: He's got a fckn gun!!

CL: Dude wth fckn gun told me to go inside. Should I? Txt me ASAP!!

Bom: Calm down, chaerin-ah. That's just Hong. He's harmless.

CL: Can't be sure. Gun looks pretty real.

Bom: that's because it is.

CL: Is this your parent's house? Man, it's huge. Hong told me to wait in the 'receiving area'  like whatever.

CL: why is Santa Clause here?

Bom: Give some respect. That's Mr. Kim, the house butler.

CL: U got a fckn butler?!

Bom: Text it don't shout it. I can hear you all the way up here.

CL: WRU?

Bom: Look up.

 

"Unnie!!"

 

Oh, for the love of God. "Don't run, Chaerin-ah! You'll hurt yourself! Ah jinjja." Living up to her title as the baddest female, CL didn't listen to me and reached the top floor in no time. 

 

"Ya, Bom-unnie!" She catapulted herself and enveloped me in a bone-crushing hug. I felt my ribs crack, I'm not even kidding. "Your house is amazing!" She kept looking around in avid fascination. "We should totally have a sleepover right now!"

 

I struggled to release myself. "I don't know about that. You'll  have to talk to the owner."

 

"Eh?"

 

I beckoned her to follow me through the open door. "That is if she returns to earth and listens to us." Dara didn't even notice our presence. She was busy staring at her phone like it was going to blow up any minute. "It's been like this since I arrived. I'm tempted to just throw her phone out the window along with her."

 

CL's eyes grew wide. "Dara unnie lives here?!"

 

"Yes. Watch this. Dara-yaaaaaa~~"

 

"Hmmm?" She didn't even lift her eyes.

 

"I'm going to get some ice cream, you want some?"

 

"Neh."

 

"I'll throw in some nuts, would that be okay?"

 

"Neeeeeeh..."

 

"Can I post on SNS that you snore when you sleep?"

 

"Uh-huh. Sure..."

 

I crossed my arms and raised a brow at CL. She looked lost. "I don't get it. Is she high or something?"

 

"Oh how I wish," I scoffed. "That'd be easier to fix."

 

"I still don't know what I'm looking at."

 

"She just agreed to everything I said. Dara is allergic to nuts and she absolutely hates social media! You still think that's normal?"

 

"Okay. I sort of get the problem now."

 

I scowled. "I'll have your friend to thank for." 

 

"Which friend are you—" CL's mouth fell open when realization hit her. "You're kidding."

 

"Wish I was, but the signs are all there. That's why I called you so we can pound some sense back to her. You know GD more than I do so it's going to be best if she hears it straight from the horse's mouth. Not that you're a horse...Ack! You know what I mean!"

 

"Arasso arasso!" Chaerin marched with purpose toward the couch and grabbed Dara's phone from her hand. This woke her up from her daydreaming. 

 

"Wha—" she was shocked to see CL standing in front of her. "Ch-Chaerin? How?? Why are you here?"

 

CL crossed her arms. "Bom unnie called. Said she needed my help. What's this I heard about you liking Jiyong oppa?"

 

The color drained from her face. "W-what are you talking about? Who told you that?!"

 

"The fact that you didn't admit nor deny the allegation more or less confirms it." She plopped down Dara's bed and twirled the phone in her hand. "Your room is so aesthetically pleasing to the eye, unnie. It's like being in a princess room. Oooh. That your guitar?"

 

"Chaerin-ah, focus!!" I snarled from my post. 

 

"Okay, okay. Sorry!" She righted herself at the edge of the bed. "Let's start with you telling us what's going on."

 

Darong hugged a pillow to her chest protectively. "I don't want to waste your time, Chae—"

 

"Nonsense! This is like the best news that I received today. Now, first order of business. When did you start having feelings for Jiyong oppa?"

 

She visibly panicked. "I-I don't! I'm not—"

 

"Drop it, Dara-ya. I always know when you're lying."

 

"Am not!'

 

"Are too!"

 

"Am not!"

 

"Are too! If you deny it one more time, I'm going to call Jiyong right now and tell him the truth." She immediately shut . "It's so obvious. You obsessively check your phone every five seconds. You told me that when you see Jiyong, your heart goes 'Do-doong!' and that you get nervous as hell around him. I mean, c'mon. That's not flu, Darong. That's love!"

 

The truth shocked Dara to the core that she slid to the floor like melted candle. "That...that's not possible."

 

"Hate to break it to you, unnie, but there's like a million girls out there who'd fight you to death to prove it. We're talking about G-dragon, here. His face is probably every girl's wallpaper." I hit CL with a pillow. "What?? It's true though!"

 

I rolled my eyes. Dara's apple hair was sticking out from under the blanket she's thrown over herself. Aigoo. "Yah, Darabbit! Stop wallowing in self-pity! Yah!" I unearthed her from the makeshift barricade. "So what if he's dated models? You look way prettier than them!" I mean, she would be if she'd just get rid of those disgusting tracksuits. The stupid girl looked on the verge of tears. "Wait. What am I talking about? I'm not supposed to encourage you—"

 

"I..." she started to say. 

 

"Neh? You what?"

 

Dara raised her head and looked at me, her nose slightly red. "Bommie...I think...I think I like Jiyong." A tear rolled down her cheek. "Otokkae, Bommie-ah?! Waaaaaah!! I hate that annoying jerk, but I can't stop thinking about him!!" Then she burst out crying. Oh . I turned to CL. She was now crouched behind Dara and was her hair. 

 

"I don't know about you, unnie," she said and started typing on her phone. "But this is making me hungry."

 

I nodded. "I'll get the chicken. You get the beer."

 

"Are we having a sleepover?" She glanced at me excitedly while holding a weeping Dara on her arms.

 

"Oh, totally."