Superstar Jiyong

That Day in Spring

 

GD's POV

 

"I can't believe you'd hit someone you just met." 

 

I winced as Taehee pressed the ice pack on the growing bump in my head.

 

"And I can't believe you just barged into someone's room without permission." She coolly countered across the table without looking at me.

 

"I told you, I have my own key! How do you suppose I got in?"

 

She snorted. "So what, you didn't hear me in the shower?"

 

I swatted Taehee's hand away from my face. "I was sleeping! Besides, you're the one who didn't lock the door."

 

"Because I was supposed to be alone in my room, remember?"

 

"Ahem..."

 

We both turned to see the landlord standing at the end of the table, a flowery apron tied to his waist as he held a huge platter of short ribs in his hand.

 

"I don't know if you guys noticed, but some of us just came from a rescue mission." He gestured to the rest of my crew cramped around the small table. A feeling of remorse crept up on me as I noticed the driver sneeze repeatedly. "We'd like to get our energy back without having to listen to you two bicker like an old married couple. I suggest you postpone your argument until everyone's done eating."

 

"Good suggestion, hyung," Mino exclaimed as he poured hot tea on my cup. Carefully placing chunks of meat on top of my rice, he then went, "Here you go, GD sunbaenim. Don't be shy and eat well, okay?"

 

"Since when did you become the doting wife, Mino?"

 

"Noonaaaa..." Mino sheepishly answered, his eyes shyly darting toward my direction.

 

"Aigoo, Dara. Let him be." The landlord whose name was Yoo Jae Suk sat beside me. "Mino's just overwhelmed that he finally saw his idol in person. I know I would."

 

"Oh really?" She crossed her arms and shot him a dubious look. "You know that's actually funny because I distinctly remember you telling me that celebrities were way too tacky. In fact, you also added that the only thing they care about are their looks and mmnnmph—"

 

Her words were cut off by the huge piece of lettuce Jae Suk suddenly shoved in .

 

"What did I tell you about talking with your mouth full? Tsk, tsk. Here." He piled a tower of string beans on her plate. "Eat up."

 

I'm contemplating whether to feel appalled or downright impressed on how she managed to swallow that much food without chewing it. It was like witnessing a snake divulging its prey whole. Both astounding and creepy at the same time.

 

"Whereshmypishofbeepf?" She garbled.

 

"What?"

 

She pounded on her chest and tried again. "I said I want two more strips of beef."

 

"Aiiish. I already gave you your share!"

 

"Do you want me to tell them what you think of singers?"

 

A chunk of beef instantly appeared on her plate.

 

"Shall I give you a can of soda to push all that beef down, your excellency?" Jae Suk hissed between clenched teeth.

 

"No thanks, I'm good." She shot him a sardonic smile.

 

"Hyung, can I have more abalone?"

 

"Ya! Do you know how hard it is to get a supply of seafood during winter? I had to bribe the market vendor for that. You know the rules, Mino. Every person gets only two of each dish and that's that."

 

"Here." I placed mine on his plate.

 

"Sunbaenim..."

 

"It's okay. I'm not that hungry."

 

Jae Suk clicked his tongue in admonition and shot a disappointed look my way. "Aigoo, GD-ah. You're not helping me reinforce the rules here."

 

Instead of feeling apologetic, I only chuckled and started digging in like everyone else. "Please call me Jiyong. GD's my stage name."

 

"Thank you, Jiyong-sunbaenim!!"

 

"Why don't you drop the formalities while you're at it, yeah?" I said with a smile. "I mean, you can treat me as your brother if you want to."

 

Mino suddenly became unresponsive. I'm not even sure if he's still breathing. I looked at Jae Suk in panic. "Is he okay?"

 

The landlord didn't appear the least bit alarmed. "Give him a few seconds to digest what you said. He'll come back eventually."

 

True to his word, Mino did get his bearings back which I'm not entirely certain was for the best. He kept staring at me with a grateful expression as if I've handed him one of my kidneys when in truth, he was literally doing me a favor since I was deathly allergic to seashells.

 

Within the first hour of meeting him, Jae Suk proved to have the makings of a great entertainer. He was casually roasting everyone with his quick-witted jokes. In fact, it was my first time seeing my bodyguard laugh that loud in the whole time I've known him. After all, Dong-gil was known to be emotionless. Even TOP hyung couldn't get a hoot out of him.

 

Then there's Dara and Mino. If I hadn't known they weren't related, I'd mistake them for siblings. The way Dara treats Mino is how my sister treats me and by that I mean something along the lines of hard-core bullying. As I sat there listening to them squabble over petty things, I suddenly missed my members.

 

I wonder what they're doing right now.

 

The thing is, I've spent so much time under the limelight that it felt kind of surreal to be just sitting at a stranger's home, surrounded by both old and new faces and not worry about how I should act or what I should say. For the first time in my life, I don't feel like a deer caught in the headlights.

 

"Samchon, I think there's something wrong with the thermostat," Dara announced as we were having dessert.

 

"Aigoo, that old thing must be acting up again."

 

"Mino, go check it out."

 

"Aiiish, why don't you do it?"

 

The sound of utensils clinking immediately ceased as a cold breeze seemed to blow through the table. Dara slowly looked up, her eyes narrowed at his direction.

 

"Come again?" She asked in an eerily calm voice.

 

I felt Jae Suk kick Mino under the table.

 

"Hahaha!!" He nervously laughed. "Gotcha, noona! I can't believe you fell for that." When Dara started tapping her fingers on the table, he immediately scrambled to the kitchen.

 

I moved my head a fraction so I can conspiratorially whisper to Jae Suk. "Is she always this scary?"

 

He chuckled. "You think that's scary? Imagine how worse it could get when she's actually pissed off."

 

Yikes.

 

Putting the bowl away, I pushed my chair back and stood up. "Thank you for the lovely dinner. I'll rest ahead if you don't mind. It's rather a long day for me."

 

"No problem, Jiyong. I'll send in some new sheets later."

 

"Thanks."

 

"Dara will prepare the room for you."

 

She choked on her drink, some of the water dribbling down her chin. "W-what?"

 

"You heard me," Jae Suk replied as he started collecting everyone's plates while Mino cleared the table. "Your room offers the best view in the house, ergo, our main guest should sleep in there. Besides, he already paid a handsome amount for it." Dara seemed to protest, but he clicked his tongue and swiftly muttered something under his breath.

 

I couldn't hear what he was telling her, but it must have been pretty solid. Dara heaved a sigh and stood up. Momentarily leaving to get something from the kitchen, she then came back carrying a few linens and a brown paper bag.

 

"Let's go," she mumbled as she passed by me.

 

I sent Jae Suk a worried look before following the living embodiment of indifference. I kept a considerable distance behind her as we walked, not because I was trying to be a gentleman, but because I'm scared that she might decide to ditch the good girl persona and finish what she started by pushing me down the stairs.

 

Sigh. I wish TOP hyung had gone with me. At least he made for a better company.

 

The short walk toward her room felt like a decade with neither one of us taking the initiative to break the awkward silence. I pride myself for being a good reader when it comes to people, but for some reason, Dara was a tough one to crack. It's probably because she hardly talks, though it's still too early to tell.

 

Right now, my gaze was transfixed on the movement of her ponytail, the nagging feeling that I've seen her somewhere before becoming stronger with each swing. Problem was, I can't remember when and where.

 

Dara suddenly halted her steps and I almost bumped into her. My hands flew out to grip the wall in a risky attempt to decelerate. Whew, that was close. She whirled around, raising an eyebrow as soon as she saw the position I was in.

 

Out of panic, I started doing wall push-ups in front of her.

 

"What in the seven levels of hell are you doing?"

 

"What, this?" I flexed my biceps and heaved like I was really putting in some effort. "Oh you know. I kinda ate a lot tonight. Thought I should burn some of the extra carbs. Sweat it out and all that."

 

"Don't worry, you don't need it."

 

A smile formed on my lips. Did she just give me a compliment?

 

"You look like a walking stick. I'm actually surprised you managed to brave the snow without getting blown by the wind."

 

And there it is.

 

I restrained myself from retaliating with a kick to her flat behind as she opened the door to her room. Silently wishing she'd trip and fall on her face, I sullenly followed her in. She the lights and started changing the sheets without preamble. Since she didn't give me any particular task to do and I'm technically a guest here, I decided to roam around, picking up random things on the way and fiddling with them.

 

"I noticed that you have very few furniture here."

 

*silence*

 

"I'm not really the type to hoard, but when I see something that I like, I have this drive to purchase it." I started shaking the globe in my hand and watched the snow float inside the glass. "Nothing haunts us than the things we don't buy, right?"

 

Still no response.

 

I could be talking to a tree for all the silent treatment I was receiving. Putting the snow globe back on the shelf, I went to sit at the corner and decided to open the drawers to fight off my growing boredom.

 

Jackets...colorful socks, oversized shirts...tasteless trainers......

 

??!!

 

The drawer rattled as it closed with a bang. I stiffened at the sight of Dara's foot hovering just inches from my face. Slowly turning around, I locked eyes with a very red-faced, very angry killing machine.

 

"Kwon Jiyong," she seethed, uttering my name like it was some ancient curse. "Are you seriously trying to piss me off on purpose?"

 

I can safely say that Mino had every right to whimper in the presence of such evil entity.

 

"I...I w-was just—"

 

"Just because I let you stay in my room doesn't give you the right to go through my belongings."

 

"Okay, I'm sorry! It won't happen again, I promise."

 

She leaned forward without putting her foot down. I swallowed. Her breath was hot on my ear and I involuntarily shivered. "Touch my stuff again and I'll cut your fingers off in your sleep. Arasso?"

 

I couldn't nod fast enough. Dara finally removed her foot from the cabinet behind me and shot one last glare at my direction before storming out the room. I slipped down to the floor, my heart beating so fast I thought it would rip out from my chest.

 

Jesus, what is wrong with that woman?!

 

My legs wobbled as I approached the sink. I turned the faucet on and splashed my face with cold water. This has been by far the longest day in my whole existence. Just this morning I was exchanging punch lines with TOP hyung and doing my usual routine. Now I'm in a hotel, miles away from home and with a psychopath on the loose. Couldn't get any weirder than that.

 

I finally changed into my comfy pajamas and turned off the lights. The moment I snuggled into bed, my eyes shut from exhaustion as I waited for sleep to come.

 

 

Dara's POV

 

 

G-dragon? Pffft. More like G-panda to me.

 

He was leaning over the balcony with his arms crossed as he watched the truck disappear into the curb. Mino took the rest of the guys with him to the service center to get the car fixed while Jae Suk left for the market. As for me, I was packing my lunch in the kitchen when I saw him come down the stairs, his hair wet from the shower. The dark circles under his eyes explained the annoying ruckus I heard at the middle of the night.

 

Because I was kicked out of my own bed, I had to relocate to the room adjacent to it. The extension of the hotel was built back when dinosaurs roamed the earth so it's quite understandable that the walls were thin. For that very reason, I could hear every squeak and every goddamn noise Jiyong had been producing the entire time. Even if you were gifted with a good voice, no one should be singing at freaking two in the morning.

 

I pushed the door with my foot. He was still preoccupied with his own thoughts when I placed the steaming mug in front of him. He looked at it curiously.

 

"What's this?" He asked, picking it up.

 

"What does it look like?"

 

He shrugged. "Coming from you, I'm guessing it must be poison."

 

"Ah, humor." I nodded and snapped my fingers before sitting on the stairs to tie my boots. "That's a good sign. Means your brain is still able to function despite a sleepless night."

 

"How did you—"

 

"Didn't know you liked singing ballads. Aren't you supposed to be a rapper?" I straightened and turned around to look at him. "That's green tea, by the way. Drink it. It'll help you boost your energy." He still looked at me with a confused expression. I hiked my bag higher on my shoulder. "Consider it a peace offering for my behavior last night."

 

He hesitantly glanced down at the mug and then back at me.

 

I sighed in annoyance and stomped my way back to where he's standing. Tilting the mug that was still enclosed in his hands, I took a generous sip of his tea.

 

"There, you happy?" I wiped my mouth with the sleeve of my jacket. He nodded and shot me a toothy smile, his dimples showing as he drank. Aigoo. What a baby.

 

"Where are you going?" He asked in between sips.

 

"Work," I simply replied and donned on my beanie to complete what I liked to call as my protection detail. I hated the cold. My body's just not built for winter, among many others. 

 

"Can I come?"

 

I looked at him like he just spoke in pig Latin. "Why?"

 

"I've got nothing to do here. I'll be bored."

 

"Not my problem." I whirled around and descended the steps in a rush. "Jae Suk will be done in an hour so just wait until he comes back."

 

"Wait!!"

 

Naturally, I didn't. I just kept walking until I reached the main street. I've got about ten minutes before the shuttle arrives. Last time I missed it, Mino had to rush me to the emergency room. Lying in a hospital bed for two weeks was enough to teach me a lesson about punctuality.

 

"Dara!!"

 

I looked up and saw Bom waving from the bus stop. I waved back.

 

"You're late," she admonished with a pout.

 

"I'm not. You're just early." I took a seat beside her. "How's the audition?"

 

"I got in!!" She shrieked into my ear and excitedly pulled my arm.

 

"That's great news, Bom! Congratulations!!" I enveloped her in a hug. "When are you going to start?" Her smile instantly disappeared. "Why? What's wrong?"

 

"I'll be moving to Seoul in two weeks."

 

"That soon?" She nodded. "Where are you going to stay?"

 

"The company provides accommodation for the trainees so I'm covered."

 

"How did your Dad take the news?"

 

She crossed her arms and scowled. "What do you think? He's still mad about it. You know how much he wants me to run the family business. I mean, I can't be stuck in here for the rest of my life, Dara. I got dreams too."

 

I clasped her hand. "I'm sure your father only wants the best for you."

 

"Yeah, I know." Bom sighed. "I really wish you'd come with me though."

 

I glanced at the people passing the streets. "I don't know, Bom. Seoul's too..."

 

"Complicated?" She provided.

 

"Noisy," I said with a smile. "I like it here. It's serene, peaceful."

 

"I take it things didn't go well when you visited?"

 

I hung my head in response.

 

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find one soon," she encouraged, squeezing my hand.

 

I wanted to tell her not to get her hopes up, but I stopped myself. It was too early to be pessimistic. "Thanks, Bommie."

 

The bus finally arrived. We both stood.

 

"I won't be going with you today," Bom said as she took out her phone. "Dad wants me to drop by his office."

 

"Okay."

 

"Are you going to the meeting later?"

 

"Um..."

 

She clutched my shoulders in a death grip and gave me a pointed look. "Sandara Park, you promised you'd help me organize the fundraising."

 

I wanted to decline, but there was nothing more dangerous than Bom's sharp colored nails. "Okay okay! I'll be there."

 

"You swear?" She pouted and held up her little finger.

 

"Yes, I swear." I sealed it with a pinky promise.

 

"Yay!!" She then planted a kiss on my cheek before waving goodbye. "See you later, Dara!!"

 

Sigh. I was really hoping I'd weasel my way out of that meeting. I got on the bus and chose the seat nearest to the back. There were about fifteen people around, most were teenage girls in uniforms.

 

"Kyaaaah!! He's so hot!!"

 

"I know right?! I wonder if he has a girlfriend."

 

Aigoo. Kids these days. Don't they have anything better to do than fawn over boys? I tuned out their incessant squealing and focused on looking out the window. We barely made it to the corner when the bus screeched to a stop again. The door slid open and a guy clad in a long dark padded coat entered. I would've ignored his presence when I noticed the scarf around his neck. It was the exact replica of the one I knitted for Jae Suk last Christmas. The guy made his way towards the back, keeping his head low, his face totally hidden by his cap.

 

I kept my gaze on him as he stopped right in front of me.

 

"Move."

 

I frowned. "Excuse me?"

 

"Scoot over," he whispered.

 

That voice. Wait a minute. My eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Is that you Ji—"

 

A hand descended over my mouth as he pushed me to the side so he could take a seat beside me. My shoulder was practically glued to the window. I slapped his hand away. "What are you doing?"

 

"What does it look like?" He slumped against the seat and tugged the scarf up to cover the lower half of his face. "I'm trying to hide."

 

I cocked any eyebrow at him. "From who?"

 

He rolled his eyes and pointed at the bunch of girls in front of us.

 

"What about them?"

 

He looked at me like I was asking a stupid question. "They might figure out who I am."

 

"Looking like that? I don't think so. How are you so sure they even know you?"

 

As if on cue, they started squealing again.

 

"GD is totally my bias."

 

"Oh my God, did he get another tattoo?"

 

"Kyaaaaah!!!"

 

The bastard looked pretty smug when he turned to wiggle his brows at me. I rolled my eyes. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

 

"I told you, I was bored."

 

"So you decided to come along?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Did you forget the part where I told you to stay at the hotel?"

 

He shoved something on my face. I had to move back to see what it was. He pointed to the bottom part of the pamphlet. "A free tour will be provided to VIP guests." He then pointed at himself. "VIP." He pointed at me. "Tour guide."

 

I sighed audibly. "Let Jae Suk tour you around."

 

"He declined. Said something about his back."

 

"Then choose Mino. I'm pretty sure he's more than happy to oblige."

 

He made a face. "That kid scares me."

 

"And I don't?"

 

He peeked under his cap, his eyes studying my face intently. "Mmm...no, not really," he finally answered.

 

I scoffed and turned my attention to the road. The silence lasted for about five seconds before he started talking again.

 

"So...where are we going?"

 

"Why are you asking?"

 

"No particular reason."

 

"Will you shut up if I tell you?"

 

He crossed his arms over his chest. "Are you always this cranky?"

 

"Are you always this annoying?"

 

"You mean annoyingly perfect, right?" He kept bumping my shoulder. I fought the urge to punch him in the face.

 

"You're hopeless."

 

"Nope, I'm one of a kind," he declared with a wink my way. Ugh. "You know, you should be happy I decided to hang out with you today. Not many people get the chance to spend the day with a superstar."

 

"Wow. I'm deeply honored," I said with utmost sarcasm. The bus skidded to a stop as we reached our destination. The rest of the passengers started getting out. "We're here," I told him. He looked out the window, but did not show any signs of getting up. "Hey." I poked his knee. "Aren't you going to stand?"

 

"Is it normally crowded here?" He asked, his eyes scanning the street outside.

 

"It's a flea market. Of course it's crowded."

 

I stood up and squeezed my way out of the seat. I successfully made it to the center aisle when I felt someone grab me. I turned around and found Jiyong looking uneasy, his other hand repeatedly clenching and unclenching at his side. I've spent so many years in and out of private clinics that I'd recognize a sign of anxiety when I see one. Standing in front of me with his hand clutching my jacket, he looked like a little boy who had lost his way. I inwardly sighed. I can't believe I actually feel sorry for the guy. Aigoo. I opened my bag and fished something out. 

 

Without a word, I reached out and pulled his scarf down. He stayed still as I secured the straps of the black mask behind his ears. I took a step back and smiled. "There. You look like a cute bear. I'm sure GD would never be caught dead wearing that." 

 

Jiyong tentatively touched the mask. "Is this even clean?" He cried out as I kicked him in the shin before heading out. "Dara, wait!!" 

 

 

God, I hope this day ends fast.