Dream a Little Dream of Me

That Day in Spring

 

***This one is a bit of a filler so it's kinda short!! Mianhe! P.S. Notes by the end of this chapter. (^__~)/**

 

 

GD's POV

 

 

Three days.

 

She's been gone for three days and no one seemed to care.

 

"What if she fell off a cliff?" I had asked Mino while shoveling the snow from the driveway.

 

"She's too uptight to go frolicking in ravines," had been his curt reply.

 

"What if she got attacked by wild boars?" I voiced out as I handed the wrench to hyung that afternoon. "What if they ate her?"

 

From under the hood, I heard Jae Suk snort before he went, "Boars don't eat humans, punk."

 

"What if she slipped from the roof and hit her head?" I asked this in the middle of playing Hwatu cards with Dong-Gil.

 

He looked thoroughly confused. "What would she be doing in the roof, sir?"

 

I shrugged. "Could be anything. Do you think she's okay?"

 

Apparently, he didn't have any response to that either. 

 

 

            ~~~~++++++~~~~

 

 

I must be going crazy. It's five in the morning and the sound of Dara's door opening and closing echoed in my ears.

 

"Ah, jinjja."

 

I lifted myself from the floor and decided to do some lunges. I've been up since freakin' two and I practically did everything from counting sheep to banging my head on the wall, but sleep just wouldn't come. It would've been good use of my time if I was able to write songs within those hours I'd been awake, but alas, my brain was as useless as a tumbleweed rolling in the Sahara desert.

 

Picking up a rubber band from Dara's bowl of whosits and whatsis galore, I brushed a portion of my hair and pulled it into a bun as I grabbed the notebook and pen from the bedside table. I might as well start the day early now that I've exhausted all of my options. I found myself staring at Dara's closed door for a few minutes before I ambled my way down the stairs.

 

In normal days, Jae Suk hyung would usually be the first one to rise so I only had to pour myself a cup of coffee when I arrive for breakfast. Judging from the eerie silence that enveloped the house, I'm certain they were all still asleep in bed. Maneuvering on autopilot around the kitchen, I retrieved the kettle from the cupboard and filled it with water before putting it in the stove to boil.

 

My eyes felt heavy, but the rest of my body seemed adamant to stay awake.

 

Grabbing a mug from the pantry, I padded silently to the living room where I placed it on the coffee table along with the notebook and pen before taking a seat on the couch. It would probably take a few more minutes for the water to boil so I wearily leaned back and draped an arm over my head as I closed my eyes.

 

Tick. 

      Toc.

            Tick. Toc.

 

I dont know how long I sat in there listening to each swing of the grandfather clock around my disjointed sense of reality. All I know was that I faintly heard the shrill whistle of the kettle which went on for a few minutes before dying down. I was also pretty sure I'd been half-awake when I heard water flowing into the mug, a plop of something being dropped, followed by the dipping of the couch beside me.

 

Willing myself to move, I slightly turned my head to the side and waited for my tired eyes to gain focus. 

 

And there she was.

 

Her gaze settled on mine, mild curiosity reflected on those bright brown eyes. Her hair was kept in braided pigtails today, some of the loose curls framing her small face. There was a healthy rosy color to her cheeks and I vaguely wondered how and when my dreams got so vivid. 

 

Even in my sleep-addled state, my brain could still come up with such life-like details. 

 

"Couldn't sleep again?" 

 

Daebak. Now I can hear her voice too? This was way off the charts, even for me.

 

"I'm going crazy, aren't I?"

 

Dara frowned, obviously not comprehending the quarter-life crisis I'm going through as of the moment. "Why do you say so?"

 

I lazily waved my hand toward her general direction. "Coz you're not real. And this is probably another dream."

 

"You...think you're dreaming?"

 

A sardonic laugh bubbles up my throat. "Am I having a nightmare then?"

 

Dream Dara didn't speak and I couldn't blame her. My brain must've used up all its resources to even come up with this visual imagery.

 

I'm so damn tired. I peeked at her from under my lashes. She looked so...cuddly.

 

I forcefully closed my eyes and exhaled a mouthful of air. Well, if this was a dream, I might as well make the most out of it.

 

"What the heck do you think you're doing?"

 

"Right," I scoffed while crawling my way toward her. "The real Dara would say that." 

 

She glanced around in panic and started slowly backing away. Which of course didn't make sense whatsoever since this is my dream and she is my figment of imagination, therefore she shouldn't be doing the opposite of what I want her to do.

 

"W-What do you mean the real Dara?"

 

"Aigoo. She'd say it like that too, you know. All cold and haughty," I murmured, my voice hoarse from lack of rest. When I was merely a few inches from her, I gently lowered myself so I could place my head on her lap. "Ya, stop fidgeting." Grabbing her hand, I draped it over my neck and held on to it tightly. 

 

"Let me sleep for a while, arasso?"

 



Dara's POV

 

He actually did it. 

 

I glanced down at the person sleeping on my lap, his soft snoring the only sound heard in the otherwise quiet room. I couldn't figure out the physics of how he's able to keep my hand in a vise grip when he's clearly knocked out.

 

Well, this was an interesting turn of events.

 

Once I was released from the hospital, I instantly called Samchon and demanded that I be taken home which was why I arrived in the middle of the night when everyone was fast asleep. I made him park the truck a block away so we wouldn't cause any noise and disturb them. The plan worked and I managed to squeeze in a few hours of rest before I was awoken by relentless banging on the other side of the wall. 

 

"Stupid jerk," I had muttered under my breath. 

 

And now this happened. Terrific.

 

I mean, it's not the first time I've watched over someone as they slept. I do babysitting for a living after all. It's just that, the person I'm guarding was neither a crying toddler in need of motherly affection nor a family member who has the right to receive this kind of familiarity from me.

 

This was a full-grown man who's popularity rivaled—and probably even surpassed—the President's.

 

Jiyong suddenly shifted and I got so flustered that I almost pushed him off my lap had he not been holding my hand. I shudder at the thought of someone walking in on us, especially Jae Suk. Oh God. What if he sees us like this and arrives with a different conclusion? Aigoo. I really need to get him off of me. Taking a deep breath, I started lifting his head. Once. Twice. The bastard didn't even move an inch. For a lanky guy, he sure was heavy. I tried wiggling my captured fingers when I felt it.

 

Omo. His cheek. It's so...soft. Like a baby's.

 

My mind was still reeling from that minuscule discovery when Jiyong started to whimper in his sleep, his brows creating a furrow.

 

Is he having a nightmare?

 

Though in retrospect, he was kind of acting weird earlier, like he genuinely thought I wasn't real. And maybe he really did think that. If he's looking a bit worse for wear then I can safely assume that his insomnia had returned with a vengeance. My hunch was right. He was indeed in the kitchen to make some tea.

 

Without warning, Jiyong's grip on my hand got tighter as he squirmed, his other arm flailing around to swat something that wasn't there. 

 

Naturally, I panicked.

 

The next thing I know, my free hand was on top of Jiyong's head to calm him down the only way I knew how. With gentle to his hair, I started singing.

 

One step, one step
One step with you
Not too close, not too far
The memories get beautiful once it passes
Just when I’m about to forget
If I fall behind a bit
I’ll hold onto you
Two steps, three steps, I’ll run
If I get ahead a bit
I’ll fall back to your pace and walk
I’m still taking the first step with you
If I fall behind a bit
I’ll hold onto you
Two steps, three steps, I’ll run
If I get ahead a bit
I’ll fall back to your pace and walk
I’m still taking the first step with you

 

 

His thrashes finally abated and to my extreme surprise, Jiyong cuddled closer to my hand. 

 


One step, one step
One step with you
Not too close, not too far
The memories get beautiful once it passes
Just when I’m about to forget
It comes to me again...

 

At this point, his breathing came out even, the steady rise and fall of his chest indicating that he was again sleeping peacefully. I heaved a sigh of relief. Out of mild curiosity, I slowly leaned forward, careful not to disturb him as I tried checking if he was really alright. The tiny uninhibited smile on his face reassured me more than anything. With the tousled brown hair, chubby cheeks and his curled up position on my lap, Jiyong looked years younger.

 

Aigoo. What a small bean.

 

It was when he groaned in protest that I realized I was staring—blatantly and without reservation, I might add. Shaking my head to dispel any unwarranted thoughts, I returned to his hair as I leaned back, convincing myself that I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm only trying to be a gracious host, after all. 

 

'I'll wake him up in a few minutes...' had been my last thought as my eyelids flutter shut.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

++++++++++++

 

Annyeong, chingu!! 

 

Madhatter here.

 

To those who are not aware (though I highly doubt it) the lyrics mentioned above was taken from Dara's movie, 'One Step,' which also happens to be the title of the song itself. I don't have any rights to it, all credits belong to the composer. I just thought it fits the atmosphere I had created in my mind when I wrote this chapter. I'm sorry if I'm not that active when it comes to giving out updates and replies, but I just want you guys to know that I read all of your comments and I'm deeply thankful for it.

 

On a slightly embarrassing note, you may have noticed that I haven't got any illustrations or even a book cover for that matter. Well, that's because I'm absolutely useless when it comes to photoshop. Huhuhu. IKR? Such a shame. 

 

So if anyone could throw me a bone here? I'd be thrilled to see any artwork juseyo.

 

Anyway, I hope you stay tuned for the next chapters. ❤️