Firsts

That Day in Spring

 

GD's POV

 

I removed the mask from my face and waited for Dara to bring our drinks. The seat she chose was on the second floor of the cafe which provided some privacy from the rest of the customers below. It had a clear view of the street. In fact, I could even see Dong-Gil waiting by the curb.

 

"Ji?"

 

I looked up and was surprised to see Kiko standing before me, dressed in a yellow top and denim pants that flaunted her long legs. What was she doing here?

 

"You actually came." She smiled as she took a seat across the table. "I'm glad you did. I thought you're going to brush me off again."

 

I frowned. "Were you expecting me?"

 

"Well yes. I mean, I did send you a text."

 

Text? What text?? Just then, Dara appeared from the stairs, slightly out of breath. She placed my Iced Americano on the table. "Sorry, I kind of forgot to tell you earlier." She held my phone up before handing it to me. "You have a text." Glancing surreptitiously at Kiko, she then covered my ear with her hand and whispered, "I'll be up front if you need me."

 

Still confused to what was going on, I watched her give me an encouraging smile before leaving.

 

"She seems cool about this," Kiko said as soon as Dara disappeared. I looked at her questioningly. "Your girlfriend." She clearly meant Dara. "Doesn't she mind that we used to be lovers?"

 

I shook my head. Took a sip of my coffee before answering her. "She's not my girlfriend. And if I remember correctly, we were never lovers."

 

The guilt in her eyes was obvious. Kiko clasped her hands together as she took a deep breath. "Ji, I'm really sorry about what happened between us. I was confused and lonely. And..." She tucked her hair behind her ear. "...I was stupid. I felt miserable with my life and I unknowingly dragged you into the mess. I didn't even consider how you felt. Just assumed that you were okay with us playing around and being—"

 

" buddies?" I bluntly provided. It was true, though. No point in sugarcoating it. 

 

Kiko pursed her lips. "Yes. And for not doing anything to help you when..." she regarded me with profound shame, "when you got into that drug scandal."

 

I crossed my arms. "They came up with a lot of creative names, you know."

 

"Ji..."

 

"Let's see. There's junkie GD, crack-head dragon—"

 

"Stop it, Jiyong," she acquiesced. Reaching out, she touched my hand. I don't know why I even let her. Well, maybe I did. The resentment I held for a long time was eating the out of me. I knew my members were also getting the brunt of my pettiness. Even got to the point that I made them choose sides. Maybe this would help. Maybe this closure was what we truly needed. "I can't express how sorry I am. For everything. I really want us to be friends, Ji." She squeezed my hand. "Forgive me?"

 

Memories of our time together suddenly flashed through my mind. Reckless partying, wild bonfires by the beach, crazy sleepovers in their private villa. And drunk . Mostly drunk . I couldn't see it before, too caught up in the moment as I was, but now that I look back at it, maybe the breakup was a blessing in disguise and not the curse I made it out to be.

 

I looked at Kiko and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Sitting up straight, I squeezed her hand back. "Apology accepted. And it's not entirely your fault. I'm sorry, too."

 

The smile on her face was radiant. Made me remember the reason why she caught my eye in the sea of dancing bodies the first time we met.

 

"I really missed this." She studied our entwined hands. "I missed our random chats."

 

"Yeah. Me, too." I ran my fingers through my hair, suddenly feeling shy around her.

 

"Does this mean you won't ignore my calls now?" A playful smile graced her features.

 

"Depends. I usually have Dara do that."

 

"Dara?" I absently nodded as I sipped my coffee. "Oh. You mean the girl from earlier?" She looked thoughtful. "Is she your assistant?"

 

"Something like that." I laughed at the notion. She didn't even feel like an assistant. Dara was more a close confidant than anything. I glanced out the window and saw the little tokki sharing her fries with Dong-Gil. My bodyguard made a face and she laughed. I found myself smiling. "I'd be lost without her."

 

"No doubt you'll need all the help you can get with how busy you are," she agreed.

 

I wanted to tell her that that's not what I meant, but her phone rang and she excused herself to answer it. Returning to my drink, I looked out the window again as I waited for Kiko to finish her call. Dara and Dong-Gil were still in the same spot as before. Only, someone was talking to the little tokki. When I squinted my eyes to see, I realized who it was.

 

The same guy we saw during the fundraising concert. The one who made Dara blush like a ing school girl. That Hae In guy.

 

What the was he doing here? And what the was she talking to Dara for? 

 

Dara listened to whatever he's saying and then she giggled. ing giggled. How do I know? She was covering with her hand and acting so demurely when not a minute earlier she was knocking her head off laughing at my bodyguard. What were they talking about? I drew closer to the window, even going so far as to put my ear directly on the glass.

 

I know, it's stupid. How the would I be able to hear their conversation when I'm this far? I was about to choose a more convenient vantage point when Kiko came back. She was smiling, unaware of the internal turmoil going on in my head.

 

"Oh, you want to change seats?" She laughed and pushed me to hers while she took mine. 

 

Well, this was great. Now I can't even see anything. She continued chatting while I tried my best to look interested. I mean, I was telling the truth when I told her I want to be friends again. But I also really want to know what's going on down there. 

 

Ah .

 

 

Dara's POV

 

He's smiling. Good. That means progress. I continued muching on my fries and offered some to Dong-Gil. He took one and instantly retched. "Omo. You don't like it, oppa?"

 

"Tastes like cat's piss," he hissed and proceeded to wipe his tongue. I burst out laughing. 

 

"Aniyo!! Jeongmal mashisoyo!"

 

"Blegh!!" He exclaimed.

 

"HAHAHAHA!! Oppa!!" I smacked him playfully on the shoulder. "Aigoo, you're just like your boss. You're both picky eaters!" I stuffed my mouth with more fries to prove my point. 

 

"Dara?"

 

I turned around. And then choked, the fries getting stuck in my throat. Oh my God. I pounded on my chest. I can't breathe. !! Something hard hit me on the back and every little bit of my favorite food sputtered out of my mouth. In the street. In front of Hae In and his friends.

 

Okay God, you can take me now.

 

"Noona!" Hae In immediately ran toward me, his hand over my back in a second, rubbing it in circles as I contemplated on how to kill myself without them noticing. "Gwenchana?"

 

"Dara, are you alright?" Dong-Gil asked. He was looking worriedly at me. Ah jinjja. Why did I have to love food so much? It didn't even make any sense how I never get fat no matter how much I pig out.

 

"Neh, neh. Gwenchanayo." I wiped my mouth and assured them I was totally fine. My ego was bruised, but I was fine. 

 

Hae In laughed. "Aigoo. You still eat like a baby, noona." He suddenly cradled my chin and removed whatever dirt I had on my cheek with his thumb. On my peripheral vision, I could see his friends staring at us. I quickly stepped back with a nervous laugh, covering my face with my hand. In actuality, I was trying to hide my growing blush.

 

What was Hae In thinking?! What he did was so inappropriate...and so sweet at the same time. Dammit. Stop it Dara! Don't fall for him again! He doesn't like you that way! He just called you noona for s sake.

 

I shook my head to clear any more stupid ideas. "What are you doing here, Hae In-ah?"

 

"Oh, um," he gestured to the coffee shop. "We just came from a very long meeting this morning and as part of my initiation, I get to buy everyone a drink." He chuckled.

 

I nodded. I glanced at his companions who were now making their way inside. I was surprised to find a few familiar faces. "Aren't they from YG?"

 

His brows furrowed. "Yeah. How'd you know?"

 

Oh no. I shouldn't have said that. I tried to weasel my way out by diverting the question to him. "Do you work for YG Entertainment?"

 

He nodded with a smile. "Neh. I just signed the contract yesterday and this will be my first project with them." He slung his messenger bag higher on his shoulder. "It's a bit intimidating too. What with it being Bigbang and all." He scratched his head as he admitted this. "Don't laugh, but I'm a huge fanboy."

 

"Bigbang? As in, the Bigbang?"

 

"Yup. One and only."

 

Does that mean the chances of us seeing each other on a regular basis was high? Omo. Why am I getting excited? I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Wow, that's...that's—" Not happening. I should probably tell Jiyong I'm quitting. I'll just look for money elsewhere. Maybe take up Bom's offer. "—nice." I ended up saying.

 

"How about you?" He stared at me with that boyish charm I always had a thing for. "What brought you to these parts?" He glanced at Dong-Gil who was kind enough to give us some space. "Did you get a new bodyguard? I don't think I recognize him."

 

Oh . I forgot that Hae In knew about my real identity. I quickly formulated a lie. "H-he's a friend!" my voice rising to a few octaves. "I mean, I'm sort of widening my horizons. You know, trying out some field work before I get to the actual corporate." I don't even know what the hell I was saying. 

 

"That sounds like a good start." I can't believe he bought it. Was I getting good at lying? Seung Ho always saw through my lies. "Chairman Park knows about this?" he inquired.

 

"Uh, psssh. Yeah, totally."

 

He frowned. "Speaking of, I've yet to pay him a visit while I'm still here."

 

"You're leaving again?"

 

He shook his head. "Nothing's definite. You remember that film school I told you before?" I nodded. The one in New York. "Well, I plan to apply there next year. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, I just...I want to try new things. Improve my craft. Maybe produce some movies."

 

"Ah. Geureokona."

 

"You never know. I may even get you to be the lead actress, noona." He grinned. 

 

I slapped his arm. "Aiiisht! Stop being a wise-crack."

 

"I'm being serious. You're pretty, noona." He then reached out and tucked my hair. "I mean, you've always been pretty to me." He smiled. I think I just died and went to heaven. "So what are you working on?"

 

"I'm an assistant," I blurted out. He called me pretty.

 

"An assistant?" He sounded surprised. "Why would you want to be an assistant?  And to whom?"

 

"To me." Jiyong stood a few feet away, one hand on his pocket. . How long was he standing there? I'm not sure if he misplaced his mask inside the coffee shop or if he's being his usual reckless self again, but the idiot had his face open for the whole word to see. "Got a problem with that?" he continued in a snarky tone. 

 

What's wrong with him? I quickly walked over to where he was.  "Where's Kiko?" I whispered.

 

"She already left."

 

Eh? "But I didn't see her come out." Unless she was a ghost, I think I would notice her presence. I mean, that girl was freakin' tall.

 

"She went out the back door," his reply was curt. 

 

"What happened?" I touched his arm. "Are you okay?" 

 

Jiyong finally spared me a glance. I almost took a step back when I saw the anger in his eyes. Oh no. Did I misjudge the situation? I thought it was going well. He looked at Hae In again. Wait a minute. Could it be...Oh my God. Did he hear us talking? Ottokaeeee

 

"Let's go," was all he said before walking away. Dong-Gil had the door already opened for him. I slightly trembled. Jiyong just used his business voice. He never uses his business voice with me. Except when he's pissed. Like really pissed. Downtrodden, I approached Hae In and told him I had to leave. I knew from his expression that he had a million questions at the tip of his tongue, but when he noticed my shaking fingers, he chose to pat my shoulder instead.

 

"It's fine, noona. We should talk again sometime. Preferrably when you're not busy."

 

I told him I would like that. "Santokki!!" I almost jumped. "Coming!" Sending Hae In another regretful look over my shoulder, I scurried to the car.