Peace Offering

That Day in Spring

 

 

Dara's POV

 

He's locked himself in his room. Like a sulking teenager, he stomped his way out of the car, got on the elevator as fast as he could and made sure to slam his door the moment I came in. And I'm certain he did that to let me know he's upset with me. I'd like to point out that this is his apartment building we're talking about, not the eighth floor suite provided to him back in YG. He's staying at the penthouse.

 

I took the stairs to his penthouse. He took the elevator. He basically waited fifteen minutes just to slam the in' door in my face.

 

Honestly. It's like taking care of a toddler. 

 

I removed my shoes and placed them neatly beside Jiyong's before slipping into a pair of furry pink slippers. He purchased it during one of his weekly shopping sprees, claiming that the slippers reminded him greatly of me since it had bunny ears on top. I learned to appreciate his thoughtfulness for ten seconds tops until he ruined it by adding, 'Don't want your stinky feet sullying my carpets, ahjumma.' Suffice to say, he had firsthand experience on how much damage my throwing arm could do.

 

With the knowledge that Jiyong's door will remain close for an indefinite amount of time, I decided I might as well restock his fridge. I do this twice a week. Sometimes when he's dead-tired from practice and meetings for the upcoming concert, he goes straight to his bedroom and collapses on the bed, fast asleep. Most days, he only makes it as far as the couch. I've taken it upon myself to remove his shoes, occasionally his socks when I'm feeling generous. It wasn't part of the deal when I acquired the job, but seeing as he's too lazy to cook for himself, the task ultimately fell on my shoulders. Although with the way he's acting up right now, I'd rather let him starve.

 

Something soft curled its way up my leg. I looked down and immediately broke into a smile. "Annyeong, Iye-ya!!"

 

Jiyong's abyssinian cat purred and flicked its tail from side to side. Carefully picking him up from the floor, I hugged the little furball to my chest. Since the living room had been recently vacuumed and I didn't want Iye to go clawing on the sofa again, I quietly padded toward my go-to spot in Jiyong's apartment. Sliding the glass door open, I went out the balcony and found my favorite nook by the railing. I sat Indian style and placed Iye on my lap.

 

"How's your day, little guy?" Iye's tabby coat was very similar to Tam-tam's. It made me sad thinking about the troublemaker left at the hotel with Jae Suk. He produced a trilling sound as I petted him. "Yeah, me too. Your dad's being a complete diva right now." Iye seemed to purr in agreement. "I know. He refuses to talk to me. What do you think, Iye-ya? Should I kick his door down?" As if able to sense an underlying threat to his precious master, Iye's yellow eyes turned to slits under the muted light. "Arasso. I won't do it. No sense in making my debt even bigger." I sighed. "Come on. Just because the boss is on a hunger strike doesn't mean you have to be, too."

 

Opening the pantry, I took out some cat food and poured his favorite chicken and salmon shreds on a silver bowl. Iye immediately leapt from my arm. "Mashiso?" He purred and started eating. "Aigoo. Jalhanda, Iye-ya."

 

I left him to his own devices and returned to my sanctuary. The night breeze helped clear my mind as I tried to rationalize Jiyong's petulant behavior. In all fairness, he might have some grounds to be angry at me. I did hoodwink him into meeting someone he was purposefully avoiding. Not only that, but as an assistant, I failed to inform him about the existence of his ex-girlfriend's messages. I did tell him eventually, but the damage had already been done. 

 

"You got to fix this, Dara."

 

I tucked my chin and sighed. But how? Jiyong won't even open the door. And I don't want to go home knowing he's mad at me. Iye rubbed himself against my leg again. My worries instantly lessened. Cats were therapeutic that way. Must be why Jiyong—

 

Chakaman.

 

Iye his paw. Paused. Tilted his head to the side and looked at me. I can't believe I didn't think of it before. "Iye-ya, you're such a life-saver!" I grabbed my phone from my pocket and opened my Line App. I then placed the phone on the floor before lying on my belly so that I was hidden behind Iye. When I was finished setting up the camera, making sure the angle was right and the lighting good, I pressed the record button. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, appa!" I moved Iye's paws so it would look like he was waving at him. "Dara-ya says she's sorry for upsetting you. She didn't mean to. She just wanted to help." I put his paws together. "Open the door, jebal."

 

I crawled and hit send. A few seconds later, the message was delivered. No reply. I got seen-zoned. No matter. I'll try again.

 

"Ya, Kwon Jiyong! If you don't open the door, I will abduct your cat and you'll never see him again! I'll feed him to—No! Iye, hajimaaaa!" 

 

Too late. Regardless of the non-existence of opposable thumbs, Iye managed to poke the screen and send the unfinished video to his master. My face looked ridiculous in the cover image. I glowered at the culprit. "Tsss. I should've known you were as impulsive as your owner." 

 

Read. 8:10 pm

 

Aigoo. This jerk's really ignoring me. I grabbed my phone and sauntered to the kitchen to get some tissues. Expertly ripping it into two strips, I dabbed it with water before sticking it under my eyes so it would look like I was crying. I then took a selfie with the caption: Flooding the apartment with tears for you. Forgive me, Jiyongie. 

 

Sent. 8:15 pm

Read. 8:15 pm

 

At that point I just kept sending him selfies of myself and Iye with captions using wordplay from Bigbang songs. He kept reading it. I don't even know if it's working or I'm literally wasting my precious time wooing Mr. Pain-In-the-. I only stopped when my stomach growled. I checked the time. 

 

9:15 pm.

 

Ah jinjja. No wonder I'm starving. I basically spent an hour typing on my phone. Wait a damn minute. What if he's asleep? Then I'm the biggest idiot in history. Exhausted, I searched for Iye and found him curled up under the coffee table. At least one of us got the gratification he deserved.

 

"You did well today, Iye-ya," I weakly mumbled.  "Gomawo."

 

Trudging forward, I stopped in front of Jiyong's door. Thoughts of kicking it from its hinges passed my mind. In the end, I settled on leaning my back against it as I slid to the floor. 

 

"Ya, Jiyong-ah. Bammoekja?"

 

Nothing. 

 

"Open the door, juseyo. I promise I would never put you through something like that again. Scouts honor." I sighed. "Mianhe." I heard something rustle. Or maybe it's my intestines trying to digest itself. Ah mola. I tried one last time. "Come eat with me, Jiyong-ah."

 

They say silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. They're right. I was about to give up and leave when the door suddenly opened. I toppled backwards.

 

"We're going out," he casually announced before putting his mask on and stepping over my prone body. "Palliwa, ahjumma."

 

 

GD's POV

 

Dara insisted we not take any of my cars. When I asked her why, she said they were too conspicuous. When I told her I'd call Tae Hee to drive us, she scowled and refused to bother someone when she's perfectly able to do that herself. 

 

"Then what do you suggest we do?" I frowned and crossed my arms. "We're not in Hwagae where I can just walk on the streets without being recognized. This is Seoul. Paps are everywhere."

 

"And that is why we're taking this. Ta-daa!!" She brandished her scooter. 

 

Oh hell no. "I'm going back in." Her hand shot out to stop me from leaving.

 

"Aigoo. Come on, Ji. This is the perfect disguise! They'll never know it's you!"

 

"Once I crash into a tree and my face gets ruined then yes, they'll never know its me." I pulled on my arm again. "I'm not going to get myself killed tonight, Santokki. And neither are you."

 

"But—"

 

"Geumanhae," I sent her a warning look. "We're taking the old Rover." She seemed to deflate. "I'll let you drive so stop pouting."

 

It worked. On the way to the restaurant, Dara asked me why I was angry. I don't even know what the I was so mad about. Okay fine. Scratch that. I have an inkling why. It's because of that stupid Jung Hae In. Kiko's words barely even registered in my brain and with the way I was fidgeting in my seat earlier, of course she noticed. 

 

'Do you have somewhere you need to be, Ji?'

 

'Huh?' I was trying to see if I could get a glimpse of the two by craning my neck.  

 

She laughed. 'We're friends now so you don't have to make excuses. Ka. I have to go meet up my stylist anyway.'

 

I didn't want to look too eager to leave. 'You sure?' I asked.

 

Kiko smiled. 'Yes. Put your mask on when you come out. I'll use the back exit just to be careful. We don't want you getting into any scandals again.' I laughed and thanked her. We exchanged a hug. 'Don't be a stranger, arasso?' She whispered before giving me a peck on the cheek. 

 

The owner happened to be an old acquaintance of mine and had been kind enough to grant me access to their kitchen where I sneaked out without getting noticed. As soon as I reached the building's edifice, I was about to put my mask on when I overheard Dara and Hae In's conversation. 

 

'...produce movies.'

 

'Ah, geurokona.'

 

'You never know. I might even get you as the lead actress.'

 

Dara flushed in embarrassment and smacked his arm. 'Aiisht! Stop being a wise-crack.'

 

'I'm being serious. You're pretty, noona.' Then the punk smoothly tucked Dara's hair behind her ear. What kind of dip move was that? Most importantly, why was the little tokki just standing there? Kick him in the balls, goddamit.

 

'You've always been pretty to me.' 

 

Pfft, okaaaay. Whatever. You just had to add that in, didn't you? Oh and look. The ahjumma actually fell for it. If would open any wider, she'd be drooling. When he started questioning why Dara would ever want to be an assistant, I made my decision to hate him then and there. He's making it sound like it was such an inconsequential job. 

 

'...to whom?'

 

'To me.' Motherr. His eyes grew wide as he realized who I was. Yeah, that's right. I'm in' G-dragon, . You mess with my friends, you mess with me. 'Got a problem with that?'

 

Dara, who by now had become so attuned to my moodswings it was borderline creepy, quickly hopped to my side and started assessing the situation. I don't even remember what I said. All I know was that I was too pissed off to even talk to her till we got home.

 

Then she sent me those pictures with Iye. My resolve didn't even stand a chance. Part of her charm, really. She was doing all sorts of aegyo poses that I had to stifle my laugh, afraid she'd hear it through the wall. She said she didn't care if she looked weird or ugly, she's even willing to dress herself as a hotdog if it would make me forgive her. I was laughing my off the entire time. 

 

"We're here!"

 

I looked out the window. We were parked in front of a four-storey building, a small restaurant named MA KOREAN BBQ. It was nondescript. Nothing fancy. I finally understood why the tokki refused to bring the Lambo. It would look utterly out of place and would definitely arouse suspicion. Dara hopped out of the car and I followed. She then circled around to grab my sleeve. 

 

"No matter what you do, don't talk to anyone. Just follow my lead and don't raise any attention to yourself. Just walk over casually. You got it?" She looked dead serious.

 

"Wae?? Are we going somewhere illegal?"

 

"Much more dangerous,  juinim." She pulled my cap lower on my face and made sure my mask was secured. "Okay." She exhaled. "Be cool."

 

When we took a step inside, I automatically gripped the back of Dara's shirt, expecting to witness a brawl or a gunfight or some extreme mafia and all that. No such thing happened.

 

"Halmeoni, one more samgyeopsal, juseyo!!"

 

"Neh!"

 

"Two bulgogi, four bottles of soju, and one saeng galbi."

 

"Is that for here?"

 

"Aniyo! That's for take out, hyung!"

 

"Aiiiish! I told you to be specific, Mino!"

 

"Seunghoon-ah, pack those up. They're for take-out."

 

"Neh, samchon." 

 

The whole place still had a number of customers despite the late hour. Most were wearing suits so I guess they all came to eat after a hard day's work. There were families, too. I quickly searched for anyone wearing a school uniform or those screaming-type teenager girls who are always typing on their phones. Those scare me the most. Volatile creatures I tell you. When I found none, I visibly relaxed.

 

"Oi, Dara!" A huge guy suddenly called out from behind the small window leading to what I suspected was the kitchen. "Eomonni, it's Darong!!"

 

A few heads turned to glance our way. They all knew the little tokki if their wide smiles were any indication. 

 

"How's it going, gongjunim?" A red-faced ahjussi shouted, tipping his glass of soju toward her. 

 

"Pretty swell, Mr. Ahn. How's the wife?"

 

"Shhhplendid," he slurred. "Still talks me ear off. I'd be wishing I was deaf, ya know? Why'd ya think I'm here?" His colleagues laughed and helped him up since he fell down his chair in the middle of his speech. Dara sauntered over to their table while I followed closely behind. 

 

"Stop drinking. Go home, kiss your wife and make up. She's probably worried sick wondering where you are." Dara looked at the man across her. "Don't make him drive, Sehun oppa."

 

"Neh. I'll take him home, don't worry about it."

 

She nodded and squeezed the man's shoulder. A woman passing by suddenly grasped her arm, "Dara-ya, when are you going to drop by the house? Little Yuri misses her noona."

 

She looked regretful. "Omo. I'll try to visit him this weekend. Does he still cry at school?"

 

"That child is attached to me by the hip."

 

Dara smiled. "Maybe because you baby him too much, Mrs. Do."

 

"Neh. I do that a lot, don't I?"

 

"All mothers do. I'll make sure to talk to him."

 

"Komawoyo, Dara-ya. Good to see you." She lovingly cradled her face then squeezed her cheeks. "Aigoo, you get prettier each day." 

 

As usual, Dara brushed the comments off. I probably looked weird tailing her like a shadow. No wonder they're sending furtive glances my way. I tugged her sweater. "Ahjumma," I whispered near her ear. She turned sideways to look at me. "Hate to break your mini reunion, but stopping at every table is kind of the opposite of lying low."

 

Her eyes grew big at the realization. "Ah, mata!" She excused herself before grabbing my hand. "Kaja." We passed through a narrow partition that led to the kitchen. Dara peeked under the curtain. "Samchon, I have a guest! Can you send some food upstairs?" 

 

"Who is it?" The guy he referred to as uncle appeared from behind the fridge. "Is that dukkeobi?"

 

"Ani. It's my boss!"

 

"What?! Why didn't you say so? Ya, you punks! Dara's boss is here! Come and help me prepare!"

 

I heard a series of yeses. Dara laughed. "Thanks, Samchon. You're the best!" She pulled my hand and we ambled our way up three flights of stairs before we stopped in front of a metal door. "Welcome to Ma's residence, juinim!"

 

I found myself standing in the restaurant's rooftop. Potted plants and fairy lights adorned the whole area. Walking a few steps further, I was amazed at the panoramic view of a nearby shoreline. I didn't even know we were near the ocean. "Where are we?" I leaned over the railing. The sea breeze felt nice. Reminded me of our home in Jeju.

 

"Little ways south of Seoul."

 

"I didn't know we drove that far."

 

She shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a sick driver."

 

I raised a brow. "Is that why you crashed into my car?" She scowled then punched me in the shoulder.

 

"It was an accident. Besides, I told you. It wasn't my fault."

 

"Yeah, right."

 

The door suddenly flung open and Mino came out, a tray on each hand. "Here's the food, noona! Hyung is just finishing up downstairs and then we can have dinner together. Is that okay?"

 

"Neh." She helped him arrange the plates on the platform. "Where's halmeoni?"

 

"Hoonie went to fetch her." It was then that he noticed me perched on one of the stools. I waved my hand. "Oreunmaniya, Mino."

 

He looked at Dara curiously. "Um, do I know him?"

 

I chuckled. I was about to answer him when three more people came out the door. 

 

"Dara-ya."

 

"Halmoeni!!" She ran and hugged her grandmother. Her hair which was kept in a bun had streaks of white. Her face, though wrinkled near the eyes, held a different level of kindness especially when she smiled at the little tokki. "How are you? Are you still having difficulty breathing? You're not even supposed to be helping out in the kitchen! Are these punks giving you a hard time?" Dara narrowed her eyes at the four guys who quickly held their hands up in defense.

 

"Oh, give them a break. These boys have been nothing, but helpful."

 

They gave each other a pat on the back.

 

"And who might this young man be?" Her eyes seemed to twinkle when it landed on me. "Is he your boyfriend?"

 

Dara shook her head adamantly. Was the thought of being my girlfriend that repulsive to her? "Aniyo. Why do people keep saying that? He's my boss. We're just here to eat."

 

I'm not sure, but her grandmother looked mildly disappointed. "Very well. Let's not make the food wait." She gestured for everyone to sit on the platform. "What do we call you, dear?"

 

Dara looked shaken. I chuckled. How does she think I'll be able to eat with my mask on? Besides, we were in the company of her family. I trust they won't freak out around me. I squeezed her hand under the table before removing my cap and mask. Everyone gasped except for Dara's grandmother who remained smiling. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo." I bowed my head. "Je ireumeun Kwon Jiyong-imnida. Mannaseo bangapseumnida."

 

*crickets crickets*

 

The door slammed as Dara's uncle arrived.

 

"What did I miss?"