Poles Apart

That Day in Spring

 

 

 

Jiyong stretched his arms over his head and yawned. Bigbang had just wrapped up the two-week North American leg of their tour, ending it with the last show in Los Angeles. They still had a few hours left before boarding the plane en route to Australia. Due to the limited time, they decided it was best to just roam around the mall so they can shop and buy some souvenirs for their families. In fact, Daesung was already eyeing a pair of shoes displayed at one of the storefronts. "Yo, let's meet up here after thirty minutes, okay?" Youngbae announced to the group. The rest of the members nodded in agreement.

 

"What are you buying, hyung?" Seungri immediately asked as soon as they started splitting up.

 

"Mola," he replied in a bored voice. Shoving his hands inside his pocket, Jiyong picked up his pace and headed toward the opposite direction.

 

"Hyung."

 

"Wae?"

 

"Hyung."

 

"Ai, waaae?" Jiyong whined, whirling around to glare at Seungri.

 

"You're going the wrong way."

 

"No, I'm not."

 

"This is the women's section. Men's are over there," the maknae pointed to the other side.

 

"And so?"

 

"And so that's where we should be heading. Besides, what are you even going to do here, try on women's clothes?" he chortled at his own jab.

 

Jiyong's stoic expression didn't falter as he answered him in a deadpan tone, "Yes."

 

Seungri paused for a good five seconds before lightly shoving him. "Aiiish," chuckling at what he perceived was an elaborate jest from his leader. "Come on, hyung. Stop messing with me."

 

"I'm really not." He then started flipping throught the clothes that hang from the closest rack. "These actually fit my body type better than those displayed in the men's section. Plus they're more my style."

 

The maknae could only gape at him in bewilderment. He knew G-dragon was known to the world not only as an idol, but as a fashion icon as well, but in all the years he's spent with him, he never thought his wardrobe came straight from the womenswear. Jiyong had always made it look so effortlessly chic and cool that whatever he wears instantly becomes a trend the next day. Heck, he possessed so much swag that one could probably dress him in a trash bag and he'd still pull it off. "Fine. Whatever you say hyung," he finally yielded, slightly feeling sorry for the red leather jacket currently under Jiyong's heavy scrutiny. He started to leave, but not before he belted out the lyrics to GD's Crayon song, "My credit card is BLACK, swipe it infintely—" Without looking up, Jiyong flipped him the bird and Seungri bellowed with laughter, knowing that his hyung isn't the type to hold a grudge against him.

 

Taehee materialized at Jiyong's side as soon as the maknae left. He doesn't say anything and dutifully waits at the corner with Jaeho, one of the personal bodyguards who accompanies him during international events when Dong-Gil is assigned with another task. He moved on to peruse through a set of baubles when something caught his eye—a daisy pin. He picked it up and was reminded of the day they arrived back in Seoul from their short trip to Jeju.

 

 

*flashback*

 

 

"Where are we going?"

 

Instead of answering the question, Dara just pursed her lips before glancing out the window, "There's someone I want you to meet."

 

Right after they exited the airport, she asked her driver to go to the usual place without mentioning where this 'place' was exactly. She seemed adamant not to give him any clues and he spent the whole ride guessing where they were going. He soon realized who she was talking about when they finally stood in front of a small gravestone, a bunch of fresh daisies already placed at the side. Dara got down on her knees and bowed in respect. He looked at the name engraved on the stone and put two and two together.

 

"He's your adoptive father isn't he?"

 

"Neh," she answered, her voice mixed with a tinge of sadness. "Every year on his birthday, someone leaves a bouquet of daisies here."

 

"Do you know who it's from?"

 

"Ani, but I have an idea." She hunched forward and religiously traced the epithet on the marble slab, "I...think it's from her."

 

He raised a brow quizzically. "Her?"

 

"Eomma," she wistfully replied as she straightened. "Appa told me it's her favorite. I used to cry a lot when I was a baby and the scent of daisies was the only thing that made me smile. He said I looked so much like my mom when I smile. Though I don't know if it's true since I've never met her in person." Jiyong reached out and held her hand. "It's alright," she smiled up at him, but he knew deep inside she was still hurting at the fact that her own mother abandoned her. "You can't really miss someone you've never met, right?" It would be prudent to tell her that everything's going to be okay and that it's not as bad as it seems, but he knew it wasn't what she needed to hear so he pursed his lips and nodded. "Besides, we're here because I made a promise."

 

"A promise?"

 

She took a deep breath before glancing up at Jiyong. "I promised I'll introduce him to the guy I'm going to marry someday."

 

Jiyong turned to stare at her. Did he hear her correctly? Did she say she wanted to marry him? Out of the group, he and Youngbae were the only ones who wanted to get married in a few years. He even joked around about wanting kids as soon as the tour ends. Hearing Dara mention the future and not just any future, but her future with him on it...it felt like his heart was going to jump right out of his chest.

 

"Jiyong?" She tilted her head to the side and glanced at him with worry. "Are you—" her breath got knocked out of her when he suddenly grabbed her by the waist and enveloped her in a tight hug.

 

"Gomawo."

 

"Why are you thanking me?" She asked when they parted, her brows in a furrow.

 

"For bringing me here," he whispered and tucked her hair behind her ear, pulling her closer. "And for not breaking up with me."

 

"Tss. Paboya," she hit him lightly on the head. "You really think I'm going to do that in a cemetery?"

 

"I don't know," he shrugged. "You always do the weirdest things."

 

"Yah!"

 

He chuckled and kissed her temple. "And I'm the guy, ahjumma. I should be the one proposing not you."

 

"Who ever said I was proposing?"

 

"Didn't you just say you wanted to marry me?"

 

"I did, but I wasn't—" Jiyong cut her off with a kiss. Her lids slowly fluttered open and he grinned. "I hate you," she grumbled.

 

"Nope," he smirked. "You love me."

 

"Abeoji, I changed my mind. I'm not marrying this jerk."

 

"Yah!" He hissed and glared at her. "You can't go back on your word!"

 

"I just did," she snapped and crossed her arms. "Besides, my Dad always wanted me to marry a farmer anyway."

 

"Mworago?"

 

"He says with my appetite, I'll give anyone a run for their money so better marry a farmer who can feed me for the rest of my days."

 

"Aiiish. I'll buy you a farm then!"

 

"That still doesn't make you a farmer."

 

He narrowed his eyes. "Will a farmer make love to you the way I—" Her hand immediately covered his mouth.

 

"It's not true, appa! We didn't—"

 

"Yes, we did!" He managed to pry her hand away. "In fact, your daughter said that I ooomph—"

 

"Yaaaah! You bastard!!"

 

*end of flashback*

 

 

Jiyong chuckled at the memory.

 

"Is anything to your liking, sir?"

 

He nodded and handed the pin to the store clerk, "Pack this for me, please."

 

"As you wish."

 

While he waited, a couple stopped at the stall across him and he silently watched as the guy bent forward to fix his girlfriend's shoelaces. She smiled when he finished and they continued to walk while holding hands. Jiyong sighed and raked his fingers through his hair. This totally , he thought bitterly. It's been three weeks since he last saw Dara. He missed hugging her. He missed eating her homemade food. He missed their random movie nights wherein he would lay down his head on her lap and she'd play with his hair until he falls asleep. Most of all, he missed her laugh. Dara's birthday was fast approaching and even if he wanted to be there, it just wasn't possible because of Bigbang's tight schedule. They were set to do their Tokyo concert on that very day and even if he takes the last flight back to Korea, he still wouldn't make it on time. The little tokki was aware of this and wasn't the least bit upset, a far cry from what he expected. 'It's fine, Jiyongie,' she had told him, sounding quite blasé about the whole thing, 'we can celebrate when you return.' To which he responded with the mentality of a two-year old. 'But that's not the same! I want to be the first one to greet you!' She only laughed and patted his head in a patronizing manner. 'Aigoo. Then call me, genius. It's not that hard.' Needless to say, she totally didn't get the point. Jiyong's phone suddenly buzzed in his pocket. He fished it out and checked the caller. It was Dami.

 

"Wae?"

 

"I miss you too, carrot top."

 

He rolled his eyes at the apparent dig on his bright orange hair. "What do you want?"

 

"Yah mangchi," she hissed through the phone. "Is that how you speak to your older sister?"

 

He sighed. "What do you want, noona?"

 

"There. That's better. I called in to tell you that I already dropped your precious gifts at your apartment and—"

 

"You did what?!" he shouted in panic, making Taehee and Jaeho turn their heads at his direction. He raised his hand to let them know he was fine. His eyes darted to the clock overhead. "What time is it in Seoul right now?"

 

"Hmm. About twelve noon. Why?"

 

"Noona, run back to my apartment and take them away now!"

 

"Mwo?"

 

"Aiiisht, just do it! Pali, jebal!"

 

"Ai waaae?" 

 

"Because Dara's coming home to feed Iye! Where did you even put the boxes?"

 

"In your bedroom."

 

Ah . "Noona, go and grab it while she's still not there!"

 

"Dara-ya knows your password?"

 

"Of course she knows. She's my girlfriend." Dami surprised him by laughing. "What?"

 

"Aigoo. You're so cute."

 

"What are you even talking about?"

 

"Come on Jiyong, you never tell anyone your password. The only reason I knew about it was because you needed me to get your phone when you left it on your way to a photoshoot. And I'm your sister!"

 

The store clerk returned with his card and gift bag. He thanked her before focusing back on their conversation. "I'm serious. She might not find it now, but she's definitely going to notice it tonight when she goes to sleep."

 

"Chakaman. She's staying in your apartment?"

 

"Only on Tuesdays and Thursdays and whenever I'm on tour," he casually answered. "Sometimes I sleep over her place when I'm not busy."

 

"Daebak. You're pretty serious, huh?"

 

"I thought we've already established that." He rubbed the back of his neck in frustration. "Noona, the gift box—"

 

"Aiiish, arasso. I'm entering the lift as we speak."

 

"Text me when you got it, okay?"

 

"Neh."

 

"And hurry up."

 

"Yah! Don't boss me around, you little punk."

 

"Okay okay. Just go." 

 

 

+++++•••••••+++++

 

 

Dami froze when she heard the door click. She had just retrieved the evidence and was about to leave when Dara entered the kitchen. Moving in lightning speed, she stuffed the boxes into her bag and casually walked out of her brother's bedroom. "Dara-ya, annyeong!"

 

"Eo! Unnie!" she exclaimed in surprise and dropped the groceries on the floor before running to hug Dami. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Oh I was just getting some stuff that Ji borrowed," she lied effortlessly. "Did you just get off from work?"

 

"Neh. I stopped by the supermarket to do some groceries." Dara picked it up and started placing the food inside the fridge. "Was there anything more that you needed, unnie? I can help you once I'm done putting these away."

 

"Ani. Gwenchana." Dami made sure her bag was zipped before sitting on the couch and petting Iye on her lap. "Do you have any plans for tonight?" When Dara shook her head, her eyes immediately lit up. "Oh great! Come with me then. I'm meeting up with Chaerin to discuss the layout for the this weekend's shoot. You can join us." Dara looked like she wanted to refuse, but Dami wouldn't take no for an answer and even goaded her by saying, "Just because Jiyong's not here doesn't mean you can't have a little fun with your friends."

 

Twenty minutes later, they were seated at a private table in one of the restaurants that Dami frequented. She noticed how the staff had been shooting furtive glances at them when they arrived, specifically at CL who was busy talking to Bom on the phone. While waiting for the food, Dara excused herself and went to the washroom. When she came back, she was stopped by a tall shadow looming over her petite form. She tried to step to the side to make way, but the figure blocked her every move. "Uh...can I help you?" she squeaked. When she looked up, the guy's face was already inches from hers as he studied her through narrowed eyes.

 

"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

 

"N-no...I don't think so—"

 

"Nah, I think I do," he tapped his chin. "I'm usually good with faces. I'm sure I've seen you before. Where did I—ah!!" He clapped his hands and pointed at her with wide eyes. "Majayo! The girl in the white dress!"

 

"Mwo?" She took a step back, suddenly wary at the man before her. With her luck, she might have just crossed paths with a lunatic—a good looking one at that. 

 

"Aiiish. Don't you remember? We met at the beach!" He was smiling brightly now. Dara squinted. He did look familiar. "I was at a wedding pissing myself off and you started following me around. Then we got talking and you gave me an advice." He cleared his throat. "I quote, 'sometimes good things fall apart so that—'"

 

"Better things can fall together," she finished.  "It is you!" 

 

"Neh! It's me!"

 

"Kyaaaah!"

 

~~~

 

"Aigoo. What's taking Dara unnie so long?"

 

"Maybe you should check up on her," suggested Dami.

 

"Alright." CL got up from the table to search for Dara and found her bouncing up and down with some freakishly tall guy in a red bomber jacket. "Yah!" She marched between them and grabbed Dara away from him, placing her friend behind her protectively. "Hands off, loser. She's—"

 

"Oi Chaerin-ah!" he jovially waved at her. "It's been a long time!"

 

"Omo," CL blinked in surprise before standing on her toes and hugging him. "Seojun oppa! What are you doing here?"

 

"I came to eat with my manager," he gestured to the pudgy man in a black shirt who's currently flipping through the menu. "I just finished shooting for an adverisement."

 

"Ah, I see. Do you have anyone else with you?" He shook his head. "Well, why don't you join us then?" She dragged him by the arm before he could give an answer. The food was already served when they got to the table so after doing a swift round of introductions, they all started digging in. "Oppa, how do you know Dara unnie?" CL asked in between bites of her steak.

 

"Funny story actually." He chuckled and smiled at Dara who looked slightly alarmed by the sudden inquiry. "We met at a beach in Jeju. I was at a wedding reception and she happened to be strolling around the beach. We bumped into each other, started talking and well, the rest is history." He glanced at Dara, his forehead in a crease. "You never gave me your name though."

 

CL not so subtly elbowed her in the ribs. "Itsh Dara," she said with a mouthful of food. "Shandara Park."

 

"Shandara?"

 

She shook her head and quickly swallowed, thumping her chest to get all the food in. "S-sandara," she clarified. "Sandara Park."

 

"Ooh. Nice name."

 

"I can't believe you didn't recognize him when he introduced himself," CL muttered, her eyes dancing with obvious mirth. "I mean, he's a very famous actor. Surely you've seen one of his dramas on TV before."

 

"Um, I don't exactly watch TV nowadays," she awkwardly confessed. "Sorry."

 

They all laughed. "Looks like you're losing your touch, Seojun-ah. Dara's apparently not into actors," his own manager .

 

He made a show of clutching his chest in feigned hurt. "Aigoo. Her boyfriend must be a freaking idol then." From the corner of his eye, he noticed CL and Dara exchange a look. Omo. Was he right? Could it be someone he knows? 

 

Dami cleared before raising her wineglass in the air. "A toast. To old friends and newfound ones."

 

"To long lasting friendship," added CL and clinked her glass with Dara's. "Cheers!!"

 

"Cheers!"