The Second Clue

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Jisoo's POV]

I'm currently watching my favourite movie when i hear Jinhwan-oppa's phone rings. My brother is in the middle of peeling me an apple but stops to check the caller id. He frowns before turning towards me.

"Sorry, Jisoo-ah. Let me take this call first." Jinhwan oppa smiles before retreating to the farthest corner to answer his call.

I just raise my eyebrow before turning to my bedside table. There, lays my favourite book although it's actually a children's book but i don't care. It was given to me by the boy who i believe is my first love.

Just then, i remember the 'SMH' initials i saw in my memory. I snatch the book away from the table and start looking for the mysterious writing but instead of finding the three letters, i see a gold wax seal with an initial 'K' on it.

I frown. Was it just a dream? I shake my head. Ani, i'm pretty sure there were these initials 'SMH' in my book. I even brought it with me when Bobby and i went to live with Aunt Yejin in ia.

I see Jinhwan-oppa coming back. It seems like he just finished talking over the phone.

"Oppa, i need my phone."

Jinhwan-oppa frowns. "Yah, it's already late. You still have your tests tomorrow so you need to take a rest."

"Just for a short while, please? I won't be long." I pout and my eyelashes.

My brother smiles at me and hands me my phone. "Alright."

I grin before getting the phone from him. "Thanks."

I scroll my contacts in my phone until i find the number i'm looking for. I press the call button and by the third ring, someone finally answers.

"Hello? This is Yejin Im, speaking."

"Auntie!" I squel and Jinhwan-oppa has to cover his ears.

"Jisoo, is that you?" I can picture Aunt Yejin furrowing her eyebrows.

"Neh, it's me."

"Omo! Jisoo-ah!" Aunt Yejin laughs. "How are you and your siblings?"

"We're fine, thanks for asking." I smile. "And you?"

"That's good to hear then." There's a short pause. "And I'm doing okay here, don't worry."

"Good." I pause, hesitating. "Um~ Aunt Yejin?"

"What is it, dear?"

"I actually called you because there's something i need you to do for me."

"Of course, what is it?"

"Can you go to my old room and scan my study table for any children's book?" I bite my bottom lip, feeling embarrassed.

"Ah! You mean that book?" Aunt Yejin laughs again. "The book that my brother, i mean your grandfather had always read to you when you were little? Just give me a minute and i'll look for it."

"Neh, thank you so much." I look at Jinhwan-oppa and he keeps giving me this look that i'm doing something wrong.

I try to smile at him and clear my throat. This is getting awkward. Jinhwan-oppa keeps checking the clock hanging above my hospital bed.

"Jisoo?" Aunt Yejin calls again from the other line.

"Yes, Auntie. I'm still right here."

"Oh my. What do you want to do now Jisoo, dear? Your book is still here." Aunt Yejin tells me.

"What? Are you sure?"

"Yes, dear. Do you want me to deliver it to you via fedex?"

I shake my head. "No, that won't be necessary Auntie but let me ask you for something else."

"Sure, darling. What is it?"

"Can you check if there's something written on my book?"

"Hmm~ oh yeah!" Aunt Yejin exclaims. "An 'SMH' initials is written on the back of the cover."

I bite my lower lip. My guess is right. There are two copies of my favourite book. One which was given to me by the boy from the psych facility and one which i assume was bought by grandpa himself. But the question is why would grandpa bought another copy?

"Jisoo, dear? Are you still there?" Aunt Yejin asks.

"Yeah, i'm still here." I answer. "Anyway, thank you so much and please take care of it for me. I'll call you again sometime."

"Of course, anytime." I can see Aunt Yejin smiling from the other side. "You and your siblings take care of each other. I'll come and visit you when i have time."

"That would be great." I smile. "I'll hang up now, Auntie. You take care of yourself too. Bye."

As soon as i hang up, Jinhwan-oppa reaches out his hand. I roll my eyes before handing him my phone.

"You're such a party pooper, oppa. Do you know that?"

"I don't care." He glares towards me. "Now, sleep."

*****

[Hanbin's POV]

"Alright, i'm done." Jennie wipes away the sweat forming on her forehead.

Our sister finally closes the lid on the back of the giant clock. I hand her a clean cloth and she gratefully takes it to clean her dirty hands.

"Is it fix now?" Bobby asks. "How do we even know if its already working?"

Donghyuk walks to the front and checks whether the clock is now working. He moves the hands of the grandfather's clock and sets it to 11:59. We all gather around him and wait until the clock strikes midnight. Just then, a melody comes in. It's Vivaldi's Spring.

"Whoa!" Jennie exclaims when a horde of dwarves has suddenly show up out of nowhere. "They're so pretty and cute."

"They're not actually real gems in there, right?" Bobby gawks.

I'm not actually paying attention to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter