Taking off the Mask

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm bored." I keep twirling my hair with my right forefinger as we remain seated on our chairs. I turn to my other siblings. "Who wants some snacks?"

"Jisoo-ah, you know you can't stray far away from us." Jinhwan-oppa reprimands.

"Gosh! I just want something to eat." I cross my arms and pout. "I'm starving."

"Let her go Jinhwan-ah." Jinwoo-oppa smiles. "Go on."

I grin before standing up. "Thanks oppa. Jennie-ah, you wanna come?"

Jennie looks startled at first but nods before joining me. The boys look at us warily, worrying that we may attract some unwanted attention.

I roll my eyes at them. "Relax. We're just going to get some food and will you please wipe that scowls off of your faces? You all look like you're going to murder someone."

The boys blink and immediately fix their expressions.

I smile. "That's better and while you're at it, try to mingle. This is a party for crying out loud, not a wake."

I leave, pulling Jennie with me. As soon as we leave the boys, men start to swarm around us. I feel Jennie tenses behind me. I look back at her and whisper.

"Jennie-ah, are you okay? Just bear with it for a while." I squeeze her hand. "We need to keep up this pretense for Jinwoo-oppa. We need to look good for our first impression."

I see Jennie bites the inside of her lower lip. She gulps before squeezing back my hand. I can see the determined look on my sister's face and i can't help but be proud of her. We turn to our admirers and show them our kindest smiles. They offer us some drinks and some food and we gladly take it. I glance towards Jennie and my gosh! She's talking to some of them.

"Well, well, well. Having fun, are we?"

Ah! I know that voice. I take a deep breath before turning towards the owner of the voice. I try to smile but i think it came out forced since i see my cousin's mouth twitches.

"Oh please, don't push yourself too hard." Heejeong smirks.

Argh! I really want to wipe that smirk off of her face. I catch Jennie looking at me with her worried expression. She's scared of Heejeong, alright.

"Just take it easy." Heejeong continues.

"Oh, we won't take it easy." I smile back just as hers disappears and a frown replaces it. "After all, we've been taking it all easy these past ten years. I think we had enough."

Heejeong's mouth twitches but she tries to hide it by smiling. She turns to the guy beside him.

"Kiyong-ah, these are my cousins." Heejeong introduces. "Jisoo and Jennie."

The guy smiles at us but there's something in his eyes that screams recognition.

"Nice to meet you ladies." Kiyong bows a little. "I'm Jang Kiyong."

I'm supposed to greet the man back but Heejeong interrupts me. "You still recognize him, right?"

I frown and Heejeong just laughs.

"He's your dad's bestfriend's son." Heejeong sneers. "Jang Hyunsung, remember him?

"Of course, i remember Hyunsung-samcheon." I try to sound as friendly as i can. "He's grandpa's doctor, yes?"

"Yes, and this is his son. Just like his dad, he's also a doctor and my boyfriend." Heejeong smirks again. "You can call him oppa if you want since we're going to get married someday."

I mentally scoff. What is she so proud about? The fact that the son of one of Kimshin's board of directors is her boyfriend or the fact that she has a boyfriend for a doctor? I sigh. I really hate this game she's playing with me right now. I face my cousin and and take a step towards her, leaning so i can whisper into her ears.

"Why would i call him oppa if i haven't even called you 'unnie' once before?" It's my turn to smirk now.

"Yah! You--"

I cut her off by turning to the guy beside her who looks kind of surprised by the sudden outburst of his girlfriend.

"It's nice to meet you Kiyong-ssi." I smile sweetly at him. "Please, take care of our Heejeong 'unnie'. She's family afterall."

I don't wait for his reply and turn around, facing Jennie. My sister flinches and blinks looking confused.

"Let's go Jennie-ah." I start walking away, excusing ourselves from our admirers.

"Wait for me unnie!" Jennie calls out after me.

We finally reach a place where there's not much of a crowd.

"You okay, unnie?" Jennie asks behind me.

I turn towards her and smile. "I'm fine, just irritated."

Jennie bite her lower lip. "I'm sorry i didn't do anything to help you."

I laugh before ruffling her hair. "It's okay. It's my job to protect my little sister. And besides, she already had her eyes set on me from the very start."

"You girls, okay?"

We turn and see Bobby smiling at us. I smile back. Bobby may be an annoying brother but he still cares and worries for us. Now that i think about it, the boys have their own ways of caring and protecting us.

Jinwoo-oppa is the kind of brother who spoils you, always asking us of our needs and wants. He's also the kindest and the most understanding among our brothers.

Jinhwan-oppa is the reasonable one. He doesn't tolerate us and scolds us if there's a need for it and tells us why he had to do it. He also makes sure that we understand our mistakes.

Bobby if may i say so, is the cool one. He's not that strict and just leaves us alone most of the time but it doesn't mean that he's not as caring as the others are.

Then, there's Hanbin. Let's just say, he's the impulsive one, the total opposite of Jinhwan-oppa. He does the first thing that comes to his mind. He's like a walking timed bomb.

And finally, our maknae, Donghyuk. He's the calculative one in the family. He likes to think and study the situation first before saying any unnecessary things that may hurt our feelings. He's very considerate of our feelings.

"We saw what happened between you and Heejeong." Bobby smirks. "Good job."

I smirk. "Of course. I won't let them hurt our family again."

"Wanna head back to the others?" Bobby gestures using his head.

I scrunch my nose. "Nah, i think i'mma stay here for a little while to calm my nerves down. I still feel a little bit agitated from that encounter."

"You sure?" Bobby asks, raising his left eyebrow.

"Yeah and bring Jennie with you." I turn to Jennie and give her a smile.

"Okay then." Bobby puts his hand behind Jennie's back and begins to usher her back to our brothers. "Don't take too long."

I wave at them before heading outside towards the balcony that's overlooking the city. I close my eyes and breathe the cool air.

"Aren't you cold?"

I flinch and immediately turn to my left to see a masked man leaning against the concrete railings a few feet away from where i am.

"Who are you?" I narrow my eyes.

The guy starts to walk towards me. I can now make out his eyes and it's the color of nature; soil, wood and trees. I catch my breath. I know those eyes from somewhere but i can't seem to remember well.

"Wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter