Friends or Foes

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I can't help but squirm on how Lee Sungkyoung is trying to wrap a bandage around a dummy patient. The dummy already looks like a mummy. I look around and notice that even our fellow interns are staring at us.

I see Kiyong stands from his seat to grab them a few more bandage rolls. When he passes by our counter, he leans in towards me and whispers.

"I told you she's not cut out to be here." Kiyong smirks before walking back to their own station.

I sigh. Kiyong really got lucky getting paired with Ji Esuu. She happens to be the last intern that got assigned in the same department with us. She's supposed to be a brilliant med student back when she was still in school. We got the same admission test results which is a very impressive score for a student who came from an unknown shool.

"Hyung!" Jin calls, whispering. He raises his hands. "Fighting!"

I smile. At least someone's having a good time. It's pretty obvious Jin likes Irene and i'm happy they ended up getting paired together.

"Aish." Sungkyoung growls.

"Aigoo. Here, let me help you." I take the bandage roll away from her but she suddenly pulls away.

"Don't!" Sungkyoung glares. "I can do it myself."

I sigh once again. "Lee Sungkyoung-ssi, i know you don't want people butting into your own business but this is supposed to be a teamwork. If you don't let me help you then all of these will be for nothing."

Sungkyoung scoffs. "That's all you care about isn't it? You're afraid that you'll get a flank because of me."

I scowl. "I don't care about my evaluation results. I came to this hospital to learn. Aren't we all?"

I see her swallow. She also starts to bite her lower lip. I move to take the bandage roll from her and this time she lets me. I smile at her but she ignores me by looking away.

I show her the proper way of wrapping a wound with the . She finally gets it after three tries. We are both so happy about it that we begin to celebrate by giving each other a high five. Sungkyoung looks surprised and immediately pulls herself together. I just laugh. I turn to Jin and Irene who are giving me their thumb's up sign.

"Kim Jinwoo!"

The six of us turn to our Department Head, Dr Gang Dongwon who is scowling while holding his record book on his hand. His suspecting eyes are lock with mine.

"Director Kang wants to see you in his office." Dr Gang tells me.

I can feel all their eyes staring at me. I try to remain calm and keep my face neutral. I still haven't told our team leader of my true identity yet. The last time we had that conversation, i made an excuse of having a very good reason for hiding my family background from the hospital's administration. Dr Gang Dongwon didn't push me any further and decided to just let it go but i still can't shake his suspiscions away.

"Chief, are you sure it's not me that the Director wants?" Kiyong asks.

Well, to be honest, people who're working here at the E.R. won't be surprised at all if the Director will start asking or calling for Jang Kiyong every now and then since everybody know he's his son.

The doctor raises his eyebrow. "Nope. Unless you're Kim Jinwoo." He points at Jang Kiyong. "Is your name Kim Jinwoo?"

I notice Kiyong biting his lip, feeling embarrased. He shakes his head and looks at my direction before scowling at me. I just swallow hard, feeling uncomfortable.

I can't actually blame Kiyong. Since the day he came to this hospital as an intern, uncle Hyunsung never called or came in here to check on him. I actually feel sorry for him. To tell you the truth, this is now the third time that the Director had asked for me since i came here and i'm pretty sure, some of the staff and interns are starting to wonder now why someone like me was able to grab the Director's attention. I have to warn uncle Hyunsung about this later.

"What are you still waiting for Kim Jinwoo-ssi?" Dr Gang points the way out of the E.R. "Don't make the Director wait."

"Yes chief."

I hastily leave and head to ride the elevator going to the Director's office in the uppermost floor. I'm almost at the door of the Director's office when i hear him talking to someone. I feel myself scowling when i notice that he's actually talking in a hushed tone manner. I lean in closer to listen.

"I already warned you about them." Uncle Hyunsung sounds frustrated. "You should've been more careful. Are you alright?"

There's a long pause.

"You're right. There's no doubt, it's them." Uncle Hyunsung pauses. He may be talking to someone over the phone. "And do you know what that means? They're finally making their move and they know we have our eyes on them so we need to be more vigilant and careful."

Just who is the Director talking to and who are they talking about? I suddenly feel this ominous feeling creeping into my stomach.

"And what about the kids?" Uncle Hyunsung continues. "Are you sure they still haven't found out you're watching them?"

I almost stumble forward. If it isn't for the marble statue displayed near the door, i might've already been caught eavesdropping. I try to control my breathing. What was that even mean? Those kids that they were talking about just now aren't us, right?

"Just continue watching them and report everything back to me." Uncle Hyunsung finally ends the call.

I hurriedly compose myself before knocking on the door and pretend like everything's okay.

"Come in." I hear the Director say.

I enter his office. Uncle Hyunsung immediately smiles at me. He stands from his high chair and heads towards one of the sofas and gestures for me to sit with him.

"You called for me?" I return the smile.

"Ah! Yes." Uncle Hyunsung crosses his legs. "There's actually something important i need to talk to you about."

I scowl. "Okay but samcheon you have to stop doing this."

It's time for uncle Hyunsung to frown now. "What? What did i do now?"

I smile before rolling my eyes. "You can't keep calling me here to your office, samcheon. Everyone's starting to wonder now why someone like me frequents your office."

"Really?"

"And you also need to talk to your son." I add, making the older man to scowl even more. "You're always asking me if my siblings and i are okay at home but you won't even visit Kiyong, your own son in the E.R. Tell me, are you two still even talk to one another back at your own house?"

"Of course!" The Director gapes at me. "I can't call myself a father if i don't do that much. I've always supported him since the day he was born, telling him he's free to follow his own dreams knowing the fact that he has the higher aptitude to be a successful model like his mother but i didn't expect he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter