Stranger in the Night

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wake up, confused when i hear Jennie screaming. I hurriedly get up from my bed and put on my shirt, not bothering if it's soiled or not. By the time i open my door, i see Hanbin already on his way downstairs. He doesn't have his shirt on.

"What's going on?" Bobby opens his door, yawning.

I roll my eyes before following Hanbin downstairs. Bobby follows after me since i can hear his footsteps just behind me.

"Jennie-ah!" I see our sister trembling while trying to stay upright. "What's wrong?"

I reach out and Jennie automatically wraps her arms around me. I look around and notice that Hanbin isn't around.

"Where's Hanbin?" I ask particularly to no one.

As if on cue, Hanbin appears from the hallway leading to the main foyer. He looks like he's ready to murder someone. His eyebrows are knitted together and he keeps cursing under his breath.

"Where did you come from?" I ask him.

"Where do you think?" Hanbin suddenly kicks the nearest chair. "I came to look for whoever's responsible for this."

That's when i realize what's really happening. I look around and just notice that the whole place is a total wreck. I open my mouth to gape at the horrifying sight of our house. No wonder Jennie is trembling so much.

"What the hell?" Bobby passes by us and takes all the image in. "What happened here?"

All the furniture are turned over. There are also broken glasses all over the place. I move to head towards our grandfather's study since all the important papers and documents are stored there. I pause when i feel Jennie, gripping my shirt even tighter. I look down at her and smile. I guide us towards the study area and find the whole place in a total mess too.

"That bastard!" Hanbin curses behind us. "What was he after anyway?"

I scowl. "I don't know."

"Do you think it was a thief?" Bobby asks beside us. "Maybe he was trying to look for something expensive to steal."

I sigh. No matter what it is, it left me feeling uncomfortable. There's something inside my head that doesn't click. I look around and find our grandfather's treasured pocket watch. That watch is actually worth ten million won so why didn't the thief steal it?

"First, tell the ahjummas to take a break from their work." I sigh before turning to Bobby. "Something tells me that we can no longer trust anyone here except for ourselves."

Bobby nods. "But who's going to clean all these mess?"

"Who else?" Hanbin crosses his arms and leans against the door frame. "I guess we'll have to skip school for today."

I let out a small growl and i feel Jennie flinch under me. She breaks her hold of me to look up at me.

"It's nothing Jennie-ah." I assure her. "Everything's going to be fine."

Both Bobby and Hanbin grimace towards Jennie. They somehow feel sorry for her that she, out of all people had to see this horror first. Bobby tries to give her an encouraging smile.

"Well then, i'll go and call the ahjummas." Bobby leaves.

I turn to Hanbin. "You go and wake the others. We need all the hands that we can gather with the cleaning."

Hanbin also leaves without saying anything. I turn my gaze back at Jennie. She's still trembling and hugging herself to prevent herself from shaking.

"It's okay, Jennie-ah." I reach out to pat her head. "You're safe. We'll be safe. And i'll make sure of that, i promise."

Jennie nods. "I'm sorry oppa, for making you worry. It's just that there's a lot going on inside my head right now. To tell you the truth, yesterday, unnie and i--"

"What's with all these mess?" Jisoo appears behind us making Jennie stop. Donghyuk is behind her, yawning and scratching his stomach. "Did someone let their dogs out?"

"We don't have a dog Jisoo-ah." Bobby suddenly appears with Hanbin at his side.

"I think it's about time for us to have one now." I cross my arms and lean against the desk.

"Ooohhh~" Jisoo exclaims. "Can i choose what kind of dog we'll have?"

"Guys!" We hear Jinwoo-hyung scream.

We turn and see our eldest running towards us. He looks tired but he doesn't care. He's just worried about his siblings.

"Are you all alright?" Jinwoo-hyung asks us. "I saw the living room and it's a mess. I thought something bad happened to you. You're all alright, right?"

"We're fine hyung." I say. "But Jennie here is really freaked out. She's the first one to see all of these."

Jinwoo-hyung scowls but grimaces after seeing Jennie looking away.

"We sent the ahjummas away for now." I add. "I feel like we can no longer trust anyone."

"Okay." Jinwoo-hyung nods. "I think that would be for the best." He sighs. "Now, what are we going to do after this? What about your school?"

"Skipping school for a day won't hurt." I tell him. "And besides, Jennie can't actually go to school with her current state right now."

"And you can't actually clean all of these on your own." Jisoo smiles. "We know you're tired from your first day of work oppa."

Jinwoo-hyung smiles back. "But who could do something like this? Did you check if the thief took something valuable?"

I shake my head. I pick the gold pocket watch lying on the floor and show it to my siblings.

"I don't think it was a thief." I tell them. "It was just probably a trespasser but the question is, what was he doing here last night?"

We all fall into s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter