Family Meeting

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I keep playing with my fingers while waiting for the guidance counselor to arrive. I let my eyes roam within the four walls of the white-painted room. To be honest, i'm kind of nervous right now. I don't know the reason why the guidance counselor had called for me. Am i in trouble?

"Good morning." A woman in her late tweenties enters the room. She has short, brown hair and a lean figure. She puts her stacked folders on the table then reaches out to shake my hand. "Hi, i'm Go Joonhee. I'm the new guidance counselor. You must be Kim Jennie."

I swallow before shaking the woman's hand. The guidance counselor smiles at me before taking her seat on her swivel chair.

"Please, have a seat." Teacher Go tells me. "And you can call me Dr Joonhee. I'm also a psychiatrist aside from being a counselor here."

I try to smile but i think it will look awkward coming from me so i just nod and purse my lips.

"Now, you must be wondering why i called you here." Dr Joonhee leans forward. "Usually i provide counsel to those who need it; students who are having a hard time adjusting to this school, to those who doesn't have anyone to share their concerns with and..." The doctor pauses. "To those who are getting bullied."

I stiffen. My hands begin to tremble and i can't seem to bring myself to look at the guidance counselor's eyes. My eyes are glued on my hands resting on my lap.

"Kim Jennie-ssi." The guidance counselor calls my name. "Hiding it won't help. I have a video here proving that you're being bullied."

My head shoots up. Dr Joonhee gets her laptop and starts pressing the keyboards.

"That's odd." The counselor frowns. "I swear the video was posted here at the school's website." Dr Joonhee finally pushes the laptop away. "It's gone."

I feel my eyebrows crease. Our new guidance counselor eyes me suspisciously and i immediately lower my head, biting my lower lip.

"It doesn't matter." Dr Joonhee says. "The main concern here now is you. You know you can always talk about it with me right?"

I can feel my hands ball into fists on my lap. Talk about it to someone i barely know? Even my brothers and sister don't have an idea of what's really happening to me at school maybe except for Hanbin. That guy always knows whenever i'm in trouble.

"I heard you have brothers and a sister." She says. "Do they know?"

I shake my head.

I hear the guidance counselor sigh. "Well i guess it's really hard to talk about it to someone you barely know."

There's a long pause.

"Alright then, let's just do this instead." Dr Joonhee smiles at me. "Let's take our time to get to know each other. You don't have to force yourself to tell me everything just yet."

I nod.

"Okay." Dr Joonhee claps her hands together. "How about meeting up twice a week? Same time?"

I smile and nod.

"Do you want to start now?"

I fidget around my sleeve before nodding.

"Okay then." Dr Joonhee sighs. "But before that, i want you to look at me."

I blink.

"We can't converse properly if you're not going to look at me."

I swallow and try my best to lift up my head. Our eyes finally meet and i see the doctor smiling at me.

"That's better." Dr Joonhee winks at me. "Remember, the first step of having good communication is eye contact."

I nod towards her. Just then, we hear a knock on the door. We all turn our heads to the door where a man in his late tweenties enters. I hear a frustrated groan from Dr Joonhee. I look at her but she only gives me an apologetic smile.

"Sorry Jennie-ah but i think we'll have to continue this session some other time."

"It's okay." I tell her and actually give her a reassuring smile.

I move to stand and head for the door. Dr Joonhee also stands to accompany me to the door.

"You must be one of the Kims." The man suddenly speaks up with his baritone voice.

He's quite tall and fair actually. He also looks intimidating with his sharp jaws. I pause to look at him and nod. The man smiles knowingly and chooses to sit on the sofa.

"Sorry about that." Dr Joonhee whispers behind me. "He can be rude sometimes."

I shake my and try to smile at her. I'm finally out of her office. I catch a glimpse of the man earlier who is now curiously looking at the painting hanging on the wall.

"Well then, i'll see you the day after tomorrow." Dr Joonhee smiles.

I bow my head and start walking away but not before noticing the troubled expression on the kind doctor's face.

*****

"Where did those kids went off to now?" I grumble as i put my tea down on the saucer lying on the coffee table. "It's late and they're still not back yet."

We have just finished eating dinner and are now having our tea time at the living area. Jinwoo-hyung is sitting across from me who is calmly sipping his tea while reading a medical book. Donghyuk and Jennie are hovered together on the floor and are busy answering their homeworks.

"Relax hyung." I turn and see Bobby munching his chocolate bar. As usual, he's on his laptop again while sitting cross-legged beside me. "We already received a text message from them saying they're going to be late and besides, Hanbin is with her so everything should be fine."

I sigh but i still have my doubts. Yes, we have received a text message from Jisoo saying they're going to be late tonight but she didn't state the reason why. We finally hear the d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter