A Waltz and a Tango

Seoul City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung exhaled nervously as she took one final glance in the mirror. She was wearing the dress she’d bought a week ago – a long, red, evening gown with a sweetheart neckline and a long slit on the left side which showcased her long leg. Her dark chocolate hair was curled loosely and cascaded down to her mid-back like a midnight waterfall. Her makeup was done by the talented Jennie and looked flawless. To accessorize, she was wearing long, crystal earrings and a couple silver rings on her slender fingers. Chaeyoung had to admit, she looked great.

Jennie was glammed up too, wearing a v-neck, deep-purple dress with black high heels. In contrast to Chaeyoung’s, her hair was paper straight.

When Jimin and Taehyung walked in, they were understandably mesmerized. Chaeyoung laughed upon seeing Jimin fawn over his girlfriend, but blushed when she saw the way Taehyung was gazing at her. His mouth was slightly parted in wonder, his eyes sparkling with admiration and, perhaps, a hint of longing. She’d noticed him looking at her this way on more than a couple occasions throughout their lives but always wondered why none of their hidden feelings ever came to fruition. A part of Chaeyoung wanted to maintain her boundaries with Taehyung to protect their valuable friendship, but another part of her dreamed of the day she could explore those beautiful lips with her own.

“Stop drooling,” Chaeyoung teased and used one long finger to close Taehyung’s open jaw. He looked just as mesmerizing as Chaeyoung, dressed in a black silk suit and hair professionally styled.

Taehyung chuckled, “you were right. I’m absolutely enchanted.”

Although Taehyung spoke with a light tone, Chaeyoung could easily pick up on the genuineness behind his compliment. She looked up to meet his chocolate-brown eyes, communicating a thousand emotions with just one look.

Eventually, Chaeyoung looked away shyly, “do you think people will bid on me?”

Taehyung smiled, “they’d be crazy not to.”

After that, it was time for the Parks to make their grand entrance down the stairwells. It was customary for the family hosting the ball to have a formal entrance along with an introductory speech to kick off the party. Mr. Park was walking down the grand staircase alone, while Jimin was escorting Jennie and Taehyung was escorting Chaeyoung. As they waited for their cue to enter, Chaeyoung felt both nervous and excited. She always loved attending these kinds of parties, but she’d never volunteered to be auctioned as a date before.  Her worst fear was standing on stage and no one bidding on her – not because it would lower her self-esteem, but because the children’s hospital needed the money from this event.

“Ready?” Taehyung asked when Jimin and Jennie began walking down, offering her his arm.

She took a deep breath and looped her arm through Taehyung’s just as the MC announced, “and finally, we have Park Chaeyoung escorted by the handsome, Kim Taehyung.”

As they walked down the staircase, it was hard to ignore the stares they were garnering. All eyes were on them – women staring at Taehyung with their mouths wide open and men smiling at Chaeyoung in approval. The slight sense of discomfort she felt with so many people watching her became much more intense when she accidentally made eye contact with Jeon Jungkook, causing her to almost trip down the stairs. Luckily, Taehyung’s strong arms were there to steady her.

She had completely forgotten he would be there. Come to think of it, she didn’t even know why he had requested an invitation in the first place. It didn’t make sense for a Phoenix to attend a Griffin party, so whatever his reason was, it couldn’t be good. Although she was thankful for what he’d done for her last week, she decided it would be safer to avoid him for the night.

“Thank you all for joining my family and I for our 12th annual charity ball and auction,” Mr. Park began his speech, pausing to allow a short set of applause before continuing, “this event is very close to our hearts as it has allowed our family to give back to the community we’re so fortunate to be a part of. Throughout the years, we have been able to raise millions of dollars for various charities, and this year we are hoping to do the same for the Children’s hospital of Seoul. We have a fun night planned, so sit back, enjoy, and remember to keep your cheque books handy.”

The crowd laughed and applauded as Mr. Park finished his speech, clinking glasses in celebration.

“Thank you, Mr. Park. The event will officially start now, beginning with the silent auction in the adjacent room. Feel free to mingle and dance throughout the night and take advantage of our speciality appetizer and dessert tables. Lastly, make sure to gather around the front stage later this evening to bid on your ideal date with your ideal woman,” The MC announced animatedly.

As hosts of the party, it was the Park family’s responsibility to mingle and build connections with the guests. Jimin and Jennie took responsibility for entertaining one side of the room, while Taehyung and C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter