All Fun and Games Until ...

Seoul City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Football. Football was what Lisa had planned. As Chaeyoung followed Lisa towards the beach they were playing on, she felt anxious at the whole prospect of more than a dozen strong, athletic men tackling and invoking injuries on each other, with the excuse of ‘playing a game’. It was especially concerning, considering that she was the only medical professional on site to treat these injuries. However, the men seemed more than happy to be granted the opportunity to unleash all their built-up anger on each other. It was a nightmare in Chaeyoung’s perspective but a dream come true for the boys.

“Lisa, this wasn’t really what I had in mind for a team-building activity,” Chaeyoung said, watching with concern as Mark and Jackson whipped the football at each other on their way to the beach.

Lisa laughed carefreely, “sports are actually one of the best ways to build teamwork. I worked with delinquent teenagers in a juvenile detention centre for one of my class projects and by the time I was done, they’d all become the best of friends. Some of them got out and even live together now.”

“That’s very impressive, Lis, but these are grown men who kill people on a daily basis. Not to mention they hate each other. Some, if not all, of them are going to get hurt.”

“Let them,” Lisa said with a shrug, “men are different from women, Chaeyoung. If they have a problem with each other, it works best for them to unleash their anger immediately and get over it. Once they get their emotions out of their system, it’s easier for them to let it go – they don’t hold grudges nearly as long as women do. Plus, letting them play a game together gives them a common goal to work towards which will help prepare them for when they have to work together in the real world. They’re going to become a team without even realizing it.”

Chaeyoung nodded slowly as they reached the beach, starting to understand Lisa’s motive but still feeling slightly doubtful about the whole thing, “tell me that we at least get to wear helmets.”

Lisa pretended not to hear her and rushed towards Jennie instead of responding, which only added to Chaeyoung’s concerns.

Luckily, the thunderstorm had driven everyone away from the beach, leaving it completely unoccupied and free for them to use. Although the rain had stopped a little while ago, the sand was damp and squishy under Chaeyoung’s bare feet, its cool temperature oddly calming. The smell of freshly-wet sand and the feeling of a cool, light breeze felt rejuvenating after a morning spent indoors.

“Alright, gather around everyone, it’s time to make the teams,” Lisa announced with a wide smile.

“What do you mean?” Jin asked in confusion, “of course it’s going to be Phoenixes versus the Griffins.”

Lisa laughed, “you wish. I will randomly allocate each of you to a team.”

Jackson scoffed, “ that. I’m not playing, then.”

“I don’t really care what you do,” Lisa responded nonchalantly, “this trip will only be as fun as you guys make it. You’re all going to be forced to work together in the end anyway, so you might as well just give up your useless pride and enjoy this. The losing team will have to sleep outside tonight, sharing one tent. Whoever decides not to participate will automatically sleep outside with the losing team.”

That was met with a series of protests and outcries from the group, which Lisa just waved off, remaining completely unaffected.

“But, I have early-onset arthritis, so I really can’t sleep on damp surfaces,” Chanyeol complained.

“Well then, you better win,” Mark advised, a threatening undertone in his voice.

Eventually, the group settled down and agreed to Lisa’s rules, allowing her to finally compose the teams.

The first team consisted of Jungkook, Jimin, Chaeyoung, Bambam, Yugyeom, Yoongi, Chanyeol, and Jackson, and the other team consisted of everyone else: Taehyung, Jennie, Mark, Namjoon, Jin, Hoseok, Bogum, and Baekhyun. Lisa was the referee.

Chaeyoung didn’t think the situation could get any worse. First of all, she had been put on the same team as Jungkook which just gave them more opportunities to interact and bring them closer, when they were supposed to stay away from each other. To complicate things further, Jimin was also on the same team and would probably spend the entire game fighting with Jungkook rather than the opposing team. Also, they were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter