Operation J: Phase Two

Seoul City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Never underestimate the power of a kiss'. These were the words Mr. Park had told Jimin and Taehyung when giving them 'the talk' before their first day of high school. Back then, Taehyung had exchanged a wide-eyed look of complete mortification with Jimin and shuddered in horror. This quote became buried in a dusty, forgotten compartment of his memory as just another insignificant piece of information. Until he kissed Chaeyoung.

He finally understood how powerful one kiss could be when shared with the person you truly love. Everything clicks into place and your bodies mould together. Your eyes only see the beautiful person in front of you, even when you close them right before your lips touch. Time slows. You lose track of where you are and even who you are. Your heart beats exhilaratingly fast and you lose control of what happens next. It just feels ... right.

That's what it felt like to kiss Chaeyoung – something he should've done a long time ago. It was as if all his hidden feelings had been bottled up in a glass container for the past 12 years, becoming so full that it all spilled out at once. Taehyung's chest felt lighter, like he could finally breathe after confessing his feelings.

If he could have it his way, he would've stayed in that elevator all night and bared his entire soul to Chaeyoung. However, he could only bask in the bliss of their moment for a short while before having to confront reality again.

He walked out of the elevator, storing the memory of their kiss in the back of his mind as he tried his best to shift his focus to the task at hand: the mission. Still feeling like he was floating, he approached the group of Phoenixes and Griffins that were waiting for him. He noticed Chaeyoung take a couple minutes before slowly following him.

"Ugh, thank God," Jennie exclaimed in relief as she handed Taehyung a briefcase and a fake ID badge, "you'll need the ID to get through security and everything else you'll need for the rest of the mission will be in the briefcase."

"I'm going to quickly check to make sure your equipment is working," Namjoon said, adjusting the camera on his tie and speaking into a tiny, handheld microphone, "let me know if you hear something when I press this button."

Namjoon pressed a key on his computer, immediately causing a beep to sound in Taehyung's ears.

"I hear a beep," Taehyung answered and Namjoon nodded in approval.

"Then you should be all set," Namjoon gave a thumbs up.

"Your car is parked up front," Jennie said, starting to quickly lead the group towards the front doors of the hotel, "we'll be following you in 2 separate cars, one of which will be your getaway vehicle. When we're near the building, we'll be parking at a safe distance away to watch and monitor you. If at any point, you need any type of assistance, feel free to let us know. If we lose contact with you, we'll assume you're in danger and rush to your aid."

They came to a halt in front of a glossy, black BMW and Jennie held up the car keys for him.

"Everything clear?" she asked with a small smile that managed to peek through her professionalism.

"Crystal," Taehyung returned her smile before taking the keys.

His eyes met with Chaeyoung's – which were filled with concern – for a brief second before he rushed towards the driver's seat of the car.

"Tae!" Chaeyoung suddenly called out, causing Taehyung (and everyone else) to look up at her before he entered the car, "you better come back in one piece."

Taehyung grinned at her, "is that a threat?"

"Yes," she stated confidently. Taehyung smiled at her one last time before finally getting into the car and driving towards the challenge that awaited him.

~*~

Taehyung could feel his heartrate quicken when he pulled up in front of the towering Kantei (the Prime Minister's official residence). He always felt a surge of adrenaline before beginning a mission and this time was no different.

The parking lot attendant at the gate glanced at him a bit suspiciously because of his obvious Korean features, but let him in when his ID badge scanned through the system.

He was a little surprised when he entered the building and saw the security scanners that surrounded the entrance along with the five security officers that guarded it. It shouldn't have been a surprise, though, considering this was the most important government building in the country.

"Mark, Jimin, it's time," Taehyung heard Jennie's voice through his earphone.

Immediately after, Jimin and Mark's voices echoed through the building, drawing everyone's attention to the direction of the noise. Mark had 'accidentally' spilled hot coffee all over Jimin's white shirt in the lounge area of the building and Jimin was yelling at him in perfect Japanese. Eventually, their bickering turned into a full-on fight with swinging fists and kicks. It was a genius idea to assign Jimin and Mark to those positions, because if anything went wrong, two of the teams' best fighters were already in the building to assist him immediately. It also helped that there was still some animosity remaining between them from the camping trip, making the fight look more authentic and believable.

A couple of the security officers rushed to break up their fight immediately, but when the severity of the situation became apparent, all of them abandoned their posts to help resolve the issue. That left only the security scanners as the only obstacle for Taehyung to overcome.

"Is there any metal in the briefcase?" Taehyung asked in a hushed voice through his mic, before walking through the gates.

"Yes, but don't worry about the scanners and just walk through," Namjoon said through the microphone, "I already hacked into their security system and turned it off."

Taehyung nodded in approval when he passed through the scanners smo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter