Blood, Sweat & Tears

Seoul City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After dropping Chaeyoung off at the HIV clinic, Taehyung drove to a remote location in Seoul’s east end – aka Griffin territory. The Parks had recently expanded their food factories and were developing buildings to facilitate this investment. As part of Taehyung’s normal, professional job as vice-president of Park Industries, he was overseeing some of the building construction; but, as part of his underground role as the Griffins’ most capable member, he was also supposed to meet with one of the other, smaller, gangs in Seoul: the Pharmacists.

The Pharmacists controlled the majority of the drug trafficking business in Seoul, an industry the Griffins had no intention of adopting since they had a respectable image to maintain. Although the Griffins owned most of the East side, the Pharmacists were granted a small area to run their business many years ago. It just so happened that this area was the same one Park Industries was now invading by constructing buildings there for the past couple months. The Pharmacists had expressed their frustration to the Griffins about the inconvenience of their business and breech of the mutual comradery between the two groups. Taehyung was responsible for appeasing their concerns and mending their relations.

 He spent a couple hours overseeing the progress of the construction, wearing a hard hat and being guided through the basic structure of the new building. Construction and architecture were two of Taehyung’s speciality areas as he was very detail-oriented and creative in project planning. Mr. Park had said he “was a natural” at it and had given him full control over the department last year. While Jimin attending business meetings and completed his president duties, Taehyung was in charge of the more practical elements, conducting most of his work outside the constraints of the Park Industries building.

After providing instruction and encouragement to the site workers, his next task was attending the meeting with the Pharmacists. It took him a couple minutes to find the hidden building that was their headquarters. He parked his Mercedes-Benz on the gravel outside the building and unclasped his seatbelt. Opening the hidden compartment underneath his seat, he grabbed his gun, placing it in the waistband of his slacks. No matter how non-threatening the situation appeared to be, a gun was a necessary form of insurance while conducting any type of business for the Griffins. Better safe than sorry.

The building was in a small, clean area, tucked away on the far edge of the East side. There were no lights outside, making the dark bricks blend in with the black night and adding an extra layer of secrecy. Taehyung could see why this area would be advantageous for running a drug business as it was also near all the major highways leading into the city.  Taehyung was slightly curious as he casually yet cautiously entered the building.

He was immediately greeted – if you could call it that – by a large, towering man who almost pummeled him against the wall as he searched his body for hidden weapons. The gun was immediately found and tossed in a dusty box, causing Taehyung to curse under his breath. So much for self-protection.

“ID,” the man demanded, sticking a large, beefy palm out towards Taehyung.

Taehyung was used to this type of rough treatment from gangs, but it never failed to annoy him. As a slight form of revenge, he took his ID out almost painfully slowly, enjoying the frustration he was invoking.

“This way,” the man growled after snatching Taehyung’s ID and quickly scanning it.

He led Taehyung through a winding, cement stairwell that was longer than he expected. The lower the stairwell brought him, the more evident the scent of drugs became. The overpowering stench assaulted his nose when they finally reached the bottom of the stairwell, making Taehyung yearn for a mask.

The basement of the building was huge, almost as large as the Parks’ backyard. Neatly organized rows of plants were growing into tall branches that made them appear more like small trees rather than single plants. At the back of the room, he spotted four doors that appeared to be laboratories for chemical processing of the plants. Although Taehyung expected such precision and organization from a drug business, he couldn’t help being a little impressed.

“You must be Kim Taehyung,” A large man, a couple inches taller than Taehyung greeted with a stone-cold expression and offered him his hand.

Taehyung shook his hand firmly, “and you must be the leader.”

The man let out a short, dry laugh, “we don’t really follow a hierarchy here but I am the one who deals with business matters. My name is Junho.”

Taehyung nodded at him and took a quick glance around, noting 7 other men with bulky builds and guns tucked in their waistbands. He suddenly missed his gun and hoped he’d get it back eventually.

“Pleased to meet you, Junho,” Taehyung smiled, although the genuineness never reached his eyes, “as I understand, there have been some concerns about the construction occurring near your business?”

“No need for the ing formalities,” one of the men standing behind Junho growled.

Junho threw him a warning look before turning to face Taehyung again, “Wooyoung is a bit impatient, but he’s right. The Pharmacists have worked here peacefully for the past 10 years and the business from Park Industries is restricting our business.”

Taehyung pursed his lips, already being able to predict the outcome of this meeting, “Park industries has no intention of stealing or restricting your business, we are simply making use of the land we own.”

Junho narrowed his eyes, the fierceness brewing behind his hazel irises, “you Parks are so entitled. Just because you have money doesn’t mean you own anything. The only way to possess anything is to fight for it with your blood, sweat, and tears. You guys don’t know the first thing about-“

“Look,” Taehyung interrupted by holding out his palm, starting to lose his perfectly controlled temper, “I’m not here to listen to your rants about how we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter