C. VIII

Poison bites

The warm breeze wafts through the spacious practise room, filling it with the scent of the upcoming summer.

The temperature was constantly rising during the last couple of weeks and now Jongin sits on one of the benches across the instruments only wearing a white T-shirt, that charmingly fits his lean figure. The girls were already dying as they saw Jongin sauntering his way through the hallways looking undeniably good in fitted jeans and a plain white shirt his hair wildly messing around his head.

 

It's one of those days were everything seems to fall right into place for once.

Jongins stepfather was out for a weekend with some shady friend of his, so he and his mom were able to spend time with each other, enjoying the apartment without the obnoxious sting of alcohol mixed with sweat from the last week.

 

The first thing both did was to yank open all the windows to let in some fresh air and get the unpleasant smell out of the apartment as much as possible.

Then they'd sat down on the kitchen table enjoying a delicious meal his mom had cooked for the special occasion while the warm wind wafted through the room comfortingly, accompanying their happy chattering.

 

It was precious time both needed for so long and they made the most out of it.

 

I hope that bastard gets so faced that he won't remember to come back here.“ Jongin grins while happily chewing on some savory meat. His mother returned the grin, cutting her food mindlessly.

 

Well it'd be more likely for him to stumble inside asking why dinner isn't ready yet although it's only midday.“

 

Jongins grin widens as a malicious idea comes to his mind.

Ever thought about serving some … you know upgraded food to him? One that's so good it'll keep him up at night?“

 

His mother seems to grasp quickly and she chuckles lightly.

 

Well if we're talking the same language then I'll get some laxatives from the medical box to prepare a special dinner tomorrow night.“

 

Jongin is already in love with the idea of his stepfather ting his bowels out all night.

Drunktard he is, he probably wouldn't even think of something like laxatives when it came to the final round.

 

You know what?“, he smirks playful, „Let's do this. He deserves it more than anyone I've ever known.“

 

His mothers expression slightly changes but Jongin can definitely make out an approving smile. „You're right. Let's do this. I know it won't be fun to clean up afterwards but I guess this'll be worth it.“

 

Maybe you're not as stuffy as I thought you'd be mom.“ Jongin playfully nudges his mom's side.

 

Come on Jongi I was young as well“, she smiles whimsically, „although it's been one or two years by now.“

Jongin waves it off casually. „Just about two at the very most.“

 

Now it's his moms turn to nudge her son.

Oh you silly flatterer. Just like your father used to be when we met back then.“

 

Her eyes take on a nostalgic look mixed with a little hint of sadness.

I wish he was still here …“

 

Jongins expression softenes as he lays an arm around his mother, cradling her gently.

I know“, he whispers, „me too.“

 

You know Jongi I still have an old photoalbum somewhere hidden in the bedroom. Let's look for it what do you say?“

 

It didn't take Jongin very long to figure out an answer and so moments later his mom was playing havoc inside the bedroom with Jongins help.

 

There we go“, she exclaimed happily, holding up a dusty, dark brown book with a leathery cover that already started to peel off slightly.

 

But why's this in the socks-box of all places?“, she mumbled before turning to Jongin beaming with excitement.

 

Both headed into the kitchen again, grabbing a bottle of wine on the go.

 

Look that was on Yeju island when I was pregnant with you.“ She taps a small photo on the right. „Oh my lords, all the amazing cocktails I've missed carrying you full term Jongi.“

 

Jongin couldn't hold back a laughter.

Yeah sure it's 2012 because you've missed out on Pina Colada for once. How tragic mom.“

 

You wouldn't believe how good these were in the resort we were staying in.“ She lowers her voice maliciously. „Maybe that's why you came in so soon.“

 

MOM“, Jongin exclaims irritated to the most as his mother breaks out into a laughing fit next to him.

 

They spend the whole afternoon looking at old pictures, drinking the sweet wine until Jongin felt tipsy the slightest bit. It was as if time had stopped to enable both to spend just a little more time together, reminiscing old stories or talking about the latest ongoings, just like Jongin joining the arts club.

 

You won't believe how similar you've become to your father“, his mother said with a gentle, proud smile lighting up her face.

 

Wait, he was an artist?“

 

The most talented I've ever seen. Wait here I'll go look for something.“ She ruhes off, returning with a huge canvas in her arms.

 

Jongin takes a look. His eyes widen in astonishment as he takes in the portrait infront of him.

 

It was a picture of two persons playing in the sand of a beautiful beach, the crystalclear water right behind.

It seemed so lively that Jongin was afraid the water would burst out of the picture anytime. „Wow …“, he whispers breathless, tracing his finger over the fine lines and details.

With every detail he took in, his throat constricted more and more until he had to fight back a tear.

 

He painted this one after our honemoon on Yeju. It was the most beautiful time I've ever had so I like to look at this portrait every now and then and reminisce in the lovely memories.“

 

I see …“ Jongin smiles absentmindedly, still tracing the outline of the picture in awe.

 

His mother looks up at him and smiles.

You wanna take this up to your room? Maybe you could place it above your bed?“

 

Jongin nods happily.

Wonderful idea, I'd love to.“

 

And so come Jongin now sits on the bench with a blessed smile on his face, absentmindedly watching the band practising infront of him.

 

Baekhyun is singing his lungs out, carelessly whipping his head along to the music played by the rest of the band.

He has a faint aquaintance with these guys and barely knows their name but Baekhyun seems to be incredibly comfortable with them.

It makes Jongin happy to see his best friend living his passion: singing.

 

Ever since Jongin could remember, Baekhyun has always had a huge passion for singing: In the shower after sports, during breaks when he feels unwatched or simply when hanging out with Jongin.

 

He clearly remembers a classic two-man-one-Vodka night when both asked the other to confess the most stupid thing that one could think of.

 

For Jongin it was making out with Baekhyun as he'd never lay hands on his best friend in a wrong way.

 

Although Baekhyun huffed a little due to his injured pride he quickly agreed and thought about his confession.

 

Jongin clearly rememberes how Baekhyun had lowered his head shyly and the faint blush that was painting his cheeks as he mumbled not quite clearly: „I want to become a singer.“

 

Back then Jongin had laughed the whole thing off but watching Baekhyun now performing infront of him almost in a professional manner makes Jongin think twice.

 

Maybe this wasn't such a stupid idea after all?

 

He definitely has to give Baekhyun credit for his angelic voice that's booming through the spacious room. And while performing Jongin senses the undeniable charisma he's oozing, almost as if he imagines himself singing on top of a stage, Jongin being one of a million in a wild crowd.

 

And just as everything started to become real in his imagination, the song ended and Baekhyun happily hopped off the microphone over to Jongin.

 

Now tell me honestly, how were we?“

His face is beaming with genuine happieness, the smile stretched out wide enough to reach his ears.

 

It was contagious. Jongin can't help but grin back.

 

Maybe you're not such a stupid er after all.“

Baekhyuns smile falls off into a huffy pout. „Hey what's that supposed to mean? We practised so hard and everything I get is-“

 

Shut it Baek“, Jongin laughs, hearing Baekhyun shriek as he puts him in a headlock.

 

S-Stop it Jongi you're messing up my hair“, Baekhyun whines while Jongin carelessly ruffles through Baekhyuns hair.

 

Baekhyuns bandmates watch the scene with clear amusement on their faces.

 

Yah! I'm serious let me go!“

 

Never in hell would I think of it.“

 

Come on what did I ever do to deserve such a jerkass as best friend now let me-“

 

Shut that face. Imma let go whenever I like. Hey that waterbasin looks great let's move over.“

 

DON'T YOU DARE KIM JONGIN!!!“

 

As Baekhyun is dipped into the water, the band breaks out into bellowing laughter, cringing hard from the waves of laughter that wash over them.

 

Baekhyun evily glares at them all with a stare that probably could've murdered an innocent puppy but nobody cares.

 

Everyone's still guffawing with no intent to stop anytime soon.

Jongin almost drops as he couldn't hold himself steady on his own two legs anymore so he reaches for Kyungsoos shoulder to support himself.

 

Gosh Baekki you should see yourself right now. A drowned rat's nothin' compared to you.“

 

Oh I swear Imma drown you're ing face if you don't stop laughing RIGHT NOW!“

 

But that makes everything even worse as no one could take the drenched huffy Baekhyun no where near seriously.

 

Oh Baekki come over, gimme some of your liquid genius“, Jongin pants apologetically waving Baekhyun over who thankfully throws his drenched shirt onto Jongins chest.

 

Bastard“, he growls maliciously while ruffling his wet hair to get some water out of it.

 

That's when a recognizing whistle turned every head around and Baekhyun went crimson read in a split second.

Leaning against the door frame is Chanyeol, eyeing Baekhyuns chest with a sly grin on his face.

 

Nice performance sweetheart.“

 

Baekhyuns mouth opens as if to say something.

 

Too bad I missed half of it. Maybe you guys could do an encore?“

 

S-Since when a-are you here?“, Baekhyun finally stutters, his face blushing even deeper and he desperately searches for something to cover his bare chest.

 

Ah no, don't do that Baekki you look gorgeous“, Chanyeol purrs as if reading Baekhyun's mind. He saunters closer, never taking his eyes off of Baekhyun.

 

I-I'm sorry I-I didn't know you we-“

 

Shhhh, it's ok sweetheart“, Chanyeol puts one finger over Baekhyuns lips to shush him, a lopsided grin decorating his face, „don't worry about that. I'm actually enjoying the view.“

 

Poor Baekhyun, that guy completely threw him off track.

The younger isn't able to utter out single word, a deep crimson blush painting his whole face up to his ears.

 

Jongin couldn't help but feeling the need to help Baekhyun.

He doesn't like Chanyeol and he can't shake the feeling that Baekhyun was just another conquest of his.

 

As much as he hates Baekhyun at times, the least thing he want's to wittness is him getting hurt by some jerkhole like Chanyeol. He unconciously clenches his fists while grinding his teeth until his jaw hurts.

 

Tao lays a comforting hand onto Jongins shoulder as he senses the tension emitting from Jongin.

He exhales audibly and looses up his clench.

 

There's no point in causing a scene right now, he'd just talk to Baekhyun later on.

 

Hey Jongi“

Jongin suddenly snaps out of his thoughts, looking over at Baekhyun who raises two excited eyebrows at him.

 

What is it? Why the stupid face?“

Baekhyun just shakes his head and grabs the microphone.

The rest of the band is already on their instruments, ready to play.

 

Baekhyung hands the microphone over to Jongin who just stands there gobsmacked.

 

I … don't really get it. What do you want me to do?“

Oh come on, you can't be that dense. I want you to sing.“

He beams with an excited grin. Jongin on the other hand is everything but excited.

 

It's not exactly his favorite hobby to spit into a microphone and to kindly avoid a cacophonies he denies the mic with a mere shake of his head.

 

Ah no thanks, really. I'm not prone to be a rockstar. I'll leave this to you Baekki.“ He shoves the mic back to Baekhyun whose eyes take on a disappointed look.

 

It evoques an unwanted wash of guilt to see his best friend like this and God knows what came over him but he suddenly grabs the mic, causing Baekhyun to get back to his excited grin.

 

Oh boy, what's gotten into him?

 

He really doesn't wanna do this right now but this. It was for Baekhyun.

 

So he calmly adjusts the mic waiting for the band to smash a catchy tune.

First accords pass and Jongin opens his lips to hit the first notes.

Quite fairly to his own surprise.

 

A wide grin spreads on Baekhyuns lips as he watched his best friend loosen up more and more getting comfortable with the stage with every note he was hitting.

 

Not thinking long he joined in, harmonizing with his voice and adding a little layer to Jongins singing.

Both get so lost in performing that the people around are forgotten. Baekhyun doesn't notice Chanyeol staring at him in awe, baffled by the passion he put into every song he's practising.

 

He doesn't notice how a soft smile finds it's way to Chanyeols lips as his eyes zoom in on Baekhyun.

And he doesn't notice how Chanyeol slowly turns to leave the practise room.

 

He suddenly feels like a fish out of the water.

 

Everything he always thought Baekhyun to be was knocked over in a split second as he saw the two performing together.

 

Chanyeol just had always assumed Baekhyun to be a spoiled little brat with no manners or decency when it came to basically everything, except for him.

 

He had always been awfully shy around Chanyeol and of course he knew why. The crush on him was more than evident, still Chanyeol couldn't take advantage of him as he used to with his former flings.

Sure he'd hit on Baekhyun countless times but now that he saw the passion that emitted from him, the high he was on while performing and his eyes sparkling with innocent excitement … No he couldn't do that.

 

He'd take his turn to leave, it'd be better for both of them if his innocence wasn't spoilt with his dirt.

He looks at Baekhyun one more time, taking in the view with a small smile. Then he turns around to leave into the hallway.


Hey my little cupcakes ^-^ How's it going? I wasn't all too busy this week but I'll surely be this weekend so Imma throw in a chappie or two today and tomorrow ;) Had the best week since forever, sunshine good friends some dancing and a glass of wine ;) what could one wish for more? 

I hope you also had a great week and will have an awesome weekend ;) 

As always leave a comment and let me know what you think :) 

Also a big hug to all the new subbies ^^ I'm always happy to the new ones popping up on my newsfeed :)