C. 24

Poison bites

 

The dazzling rays of sunlight cause Jongin to wake up the next morning.

Literally piercing through his eyelids, they're making him realize just how much of a headache is about to kick in the next few minutes.

 

With a tired groan, he rolls over, lazily grabbing his phone on the nightstand.

He heavily pulls his lids apart until his Iris is struck with the lurid brightness outside, causing him to flinch back and blink rapidly.

 

It takes him a good minute to get used to the daylight before he is finally able to take a look at his phone.

11 am.

Not actually a time to get up, especially not on weekends.

 

Another sleepy groan slips past his lips.

 

He rolls back into the sheets, putting one hand on his pounding forehead to soothe the pain.

Goddamnit, if Luhan hasn't thought of painkillers for the next morning he damn sure's gonna kill that beautiful brat.

 

Speaking of which, Jongin suddenly wonders where on earth he might be anyway.

 

Summoning all of his consciousness, he drags open his eyes another time, lazily turning his head to the other side of the bed, only to find it empty.

 

Well, not just empty but completely and neatly made as well.

All the clothes that had been scattered all over the floor last night seem vanished into thin air or more likely onto that perfect body again.

 

To be honest, Jongin had never been a huge fan of the cuddling and cutesy-stuff afterwards but he at least had expected to get some breakfast together with Luhan the next morning.

 

He hadn't seen this boy in ages and thinking about it, they hadn't talked much yesterday except for what the evening might turn out like.

 

For a moment, he internally debates about getting up and into the shower or simply turning round and shut his eyes tight again.

 

He's about to lean towards the second, when the bathroomdoor flys open, releasing a dense cloud of steam in the process.

 

Being covered in the misty fog and still quite dizzy with drowsiness, Jongin could only make out a tall frame which continues to rub his hair with a towel, another one tightly wrapped around his hips.

The figure trotts closer towards the table and chair on the other side of the bed.

 

Jongins eyes instictively move over to find one chair covered with clothes, carelessly thrown above.

Just as he starts to wonder to whom these clothes belong, a familiar voice hits his ears.

 

I see, you're finally awake.“

 

For a brief moment, he closes his eyes, inhaling very slowly.

No.

Oh God please no.

 

He opens his eyes again, feeling his heart hitting his throat with rapid beating.

 

Lay?“

 

Yep, that's my name. Come on get up I'm starving.“

 

Within a split second he is about to ask what the younger is doing here but the blatancy of the situation hits him harder than a truck.

 

What the hell“, Jongin whispers to himself as he rubs his forehead in agony.

 

Got a headache? Haha, hardly surprising by how drunk you were last night. Here“, he grabs something from the table, handing it to Jongin.

 

It's a small, white pill, that looks like a regular painkiller.

 

Take it, that stuff does wonders. Oh crap you need some water right? Wait there, let me get you some.“

 

Still dazed with drowsiness and a heavy headache, Jongins lips aren't able to split apart by any means, so he watches quitely as Lay pours him a glass of water while he heaves his ladden body up into a sitting position.

 

That's when the headache shoots up from his spine, directly into his skull, leaving his vision black for a moment.

 

Crap, what did I drink last night?“, he moans in pain, more to himself than to Lay. He rubs his forehead slowly, massaging the aching part with no success.

 

You don't wanna know actually“, Lay chuckles, handing over the painkiller and water.

Jongin immediately grabs it in a greedy manner, drinking the glass of water hastily.

Oh Jesus, just what I needed.“

 

He takes a quick look around.

Where the hell is Luhan? Did he leave already?“

 

A slight wave of disappointment imprints itself into Lays features but disappears just as quick.

 

He left already an hour ago but said that he'd pay for breakfast and stuff afterwards. I'm not sure but he said, he had some important appointment to keep.“

 

A pained groan crawls out of Jongins throat and he sets his feet down to the ground, his head captured in both hands like a bowling ball, feeling equally heavy.

 

You really like him do you?“, Lay asks, pulling over his shirt.

 

Ye-What? Lay, really? That's the last thing on earth I wanna think about right now. I'm so damn hungover that you're lucky I'm not vomiting right infront of your feet.“

 

Gathering his leftover willpower, Jongin gets up slowly, scuffing towards the bathroom.

Imma take a shower“, he states, before slamming the door shut.

 

Lay stands there in the middle of the hotel room, utterly confused just staring at the shut door, before proceeding to put on his clothes.

 

Jongin lazily drags himself into the bathroom.

Without thinking about it, he undresses himself, stepping into the generously large shower.

 

The moment the cold water hits his body, reality hits him harder than before.

Goddamnit, he hadn't possibly slept with Lay last night, had he?!

 

To be honest, he couldn't quite remember every detail of the previous night, which now scares him to the bone.

 

He couldn't remember asking Lay to come with them nor could he remeber taking the latter with them to the hotel room.

 

“, he curses under his breath, slamming the tiled wall hard.

, , , mothering !!!“

 

He isn't exactly picky when it comes to ual partners but Lay is a different cup of tea.

He's Jongins precious lil puppy, the one he'd always feed candy, the one who could easily budge him with the blink of his innocent eyes.

 

A valuable friend he's closest to among Baekhyun.

 

Not someone to when drunk.

Above all not even remembering.

 

!“, he shouts angrily, careless of Lay possibly hearing it.

This can't be!!“ He pulls his wet hair painfully, eyes tightly shut as the now hot water traces his skin continuously.

 

How the hell is he supposed to tell Lays pretty, innocent face that this had been a huge mistake?

And what if Lay had taken this whole one-off too seriously?

 

What if … What if Jongin is the person he was talking about when being asked with whom Lay'd wanna make out?

 

No no no no no! Jongin just refuses to think about it from the moment on this poisonous thought hits his mind.

 

It's not that he doesn't like the other.

Nor is this about his attraction because hell, Lay is ing cute.

 

All he's able to think about is that maybe, maybe a small part of Lay wants more than just this friendship.

 

And exactly at that point, Jongin freaks out because he doens't wanna lose that precious friendship with the most warmhearted person he'd ever met.

 

No, he just can't bear the thought of losing Lay like this.

 

But perhaps he's overinterpreting right now.

Perhaps Lay had been just as drunk as Jongin.

And perhaps this is all as meaningless to him as to Jongin.

 

Whatever is the case right now, he wouldn't find out standing inside the shower any longer.

 

No, he has to talk to Lay as soon as possible.

 

Perhaps having breakfast is not such a bad idea after all. They can talk things out while Jongin satisfies his craving for scrambled eggs and some greasy bacon.

 

With a long sigh, he turns off the water and steps out of the shower.

 

Hopefully, Lay is being honest later on, otherwise there'd always be some kind of weird feeling lingering between them. Something Jongin wants to avoid at any cost, now having ed up already.

 

He rushes to get dressed and out of the bathroom.

 

As he finds Lay still walking around the room, a slight wave of relief spreads inside him. He's still there. Now everything they've gotta do is grabbing some food and talk things out … quick!

 

At the thought of discussing that awkward topic with Lay, Jongins heart instantly speeds up. The unobstrusive feeling of panic slowly crawls up his spine, proceeding to strangle his throat uncomfortably tight.

 

Everything's ok?“ The soft voice slowly calls him back to reality.

 

N-No-I mean-Yes, I mean …“ A frustrated sigh finds it's way out of Jongins lips.

 

Lay looks under his lowered head, frowning.

You sure? You don't look that well actually.“

 

Jongin just shakes his head in denial.

 

N-No, it's ok. Let's just … Let's just get something to eat, I'm pretty hungry actually.“

 

Still wearing a doubting expression, Lay agrees and grabs his leftover stuff on the table.

Ok I'm ready, you've got everything?“

 

Jongin takes a last, quick glance around, before joining Lay on the hallway, quitely closing the door behind him.

 

The pastel colored carpet on the floor swallows every sound their feet create while walking down the hallway past countless doors with numbers, written in dark letters, pinned upon.

 

The hallway splits up into two paths, one leading to another corridor with more hotel rooms, the other providing a staircase, leading down towards a busy lobby where several people mingle around, chatting about random stuff.

 

All the voices blend up into a nondescript jumble as if listening to a swarm of bees humming around.

 

Lay and Jongin enter the lobby, walking across to a certain room labled as restaurant.

As Lay opens the door, multiple pleasent scents hit Jongins nose, including scrambled eggs and bacon.

 

His mouth instantly starts watering and his stomach signalises him once more just how hungry he actually was.

 

Lay and him quickly grab a plate and start piling one delicious piece of food after another on it.

As they sit down, both start to devour the contents of the plate greedily. No one says a word.

Until both plates are empty, they just continue to eat in silence, only the sounds of them chewing and swallowing is heard among the busy chattering around the restaurant.

 

After a good ten minutes, Jongin sets his plate aside, grabbing his steaming coffee to take a generous sip.

He's still overly tired and prays for the caffeine to kick in fast, so that he could at least talk to Lay on a normal level.

 

As he sips quietly, Lay eventually sets his plate aside as well and searches for Jongins eyes the first time this morning.

Still, Jongin refuses to make eyecontact.

He's afraid looking into those innocent orbs would stirr up feelings even worse than those he already has.

 

But things need to be talked out, so he awkwardly clears his throat.

Uhm … you know I …“, he starts, face already blushing hard, „I wanted to … to talk, uhm, to talk about …“

 

What happened last night?“, Lay ends the awkward stuttering with a surprisingly stable voice. He sets his cup aside, piercing Jongin directly with his large doe-eyes.

 

Listen Jongin, I know this is super awkward but I really don't want this to be between us like a nasty disease.“

 

Surprised by Lays words, Jongin looks up for the first time, finding Lays warm, gently smiling eyes.

 

A strong feeling of guilt and shame instantly fills up his insides, making the scrambled eggs in his stomach rumble dangerously.

 

I-I-you know …“, he starts again but utterly unable to produce anything useful.

 

Lay smiles warmly, taking Jongins hands.

I know what you wanna say. I should've never done this. I'm such an idiot and I can't spoil my precious puppy like that.“

 

Jongin is mildly shocked. Those are almost the exact same words he was going to say to Lay. Damn it, that boy already knows him much too well.

 

But lemme assure you, this was something completely meaningless. I was drunk, you were drunk and hell Luhan was. He asked me to come with you and hammered as I was, I agreed. I mean you can't shake off the freaking appeal that blonde guy has and you are …“, his eyes trail down. Jongin could see his cheeks slightly tinting red.

 

You are not as bad either so we just went back to the hotel and … well you know what happened.“

 

Not in detail but yeah …“ Jongin purses his lips, sharply inhaling.

He dares another look into Lays eyes.

 

The latter had put on a feisty grin, snickering like it's nothing.

Lemme assure you, all the rumors about you are damn true.“

 

W-Wait, WHAT?“ Jongins eyes fly open, his cheeks beginning to feel very hot.

R-Rumors? How-Whe-Why?? What the hell?!“

 

Lays snickering increases with every outburst Jongin has.

You've had with so many people that naturally, some start to talk about it, maybe even brag with it.“

 

Jongin's still confused, his whole face burning hot.

For s sake! Why can't every ing prick I know just keep their face shut?! Gosh I wish you never had to listen to this …“

 

But Lay just continues to laugh even louder. „C'mon Jongin, those are just rumors. Don't pay attention to those needy short-skirts. What I actually wanted to say was, it was damn good. So don't worry ok?“

 

Hearing Lays words, Jongin drops his head onto the table in defeat, sighing loudly.

After a while, he looks up into those dark, huge eyes again, still feeling bad about the whole situation.

 

You sure that's ok with you? I-I mean I don't want to hurt you or maybe-“

 

Now finally zip it Jongi. You act like I'm madly in love with you.“ At the thought of Lay actually being, Jongins heart begins to pound hard with panic.

 

Lay casually leans over, looking Jongin straight into the eyes. „I'm not. And I probably never will, so calm down ok? This was a one-off, not more and not less. Get over it.“

 

Now Lay is telling Jongin everything the elder actually wanted to tell Lay in the first place.

 

Is Lay really that jaded? Where on earth could this be coming from then? Lay is one of the most innocent peeps Jongin had ever met but now he's acting like a goddamn player.

 

Jongin refuses to even think about the possibility that this cute lil puppy has ever been having before, let alone with … him.

 

The fact that he might have, no most likely touched his skin, it, bit it just wouldn't get through to his head, let alone the fact that Lay might have been off by either him or Luhan before getting penetrated.

 

The whole thought seems so unreal that Jongin just stares at his scrambled eggs blankly, not able to take another bite.

 

His whole insides suddenly just feel nauseous and he puts down his fork slowly.

 

Jongi?“, Lay softly asks with a small attempt to look under Jongins lowered head.

Is … everything ok? You look damn pale.“

 

Jongin remains silent, eager on keeping the inside of his stomach where it belongs.

 

Uhm … should I get you a glass of water maybe? Or some tea?“

 

Just right when Lay is ready to get up, Jongin shakes his head, muttering a silent „No, it's ok“.

 

Perhaps you're still a little hungover“, Lay concludes, getting back to his seat and proceeding to eat.

Yeah … must be it.“

 

Lay stops the movement of his fork. „You don't sound convinced at all.“

 

He puts down his cutlery. „C'mon what the real matter here? Is it me and you having been together on the same bed?“

 

Just … please don't say it like that“, Jongin retorts immediately, slightly cringing at Lays words.

 

Then how?? We made love? Oh surely not.“ He leans forward, looking Jongin straight into the eyes. „That was pure, raw, humiliating .“ With a sly grin he leans back, watching Jongins agonized reaction.

 

But you probably don't even remember a single minute so why bother? It doesn't change anything between us, does it?“

 

As Jongin doesn't answer, Lays expression suddenly changes into raw panic.

It … doens't change anything, right?“

 

No answer.

 

Right?“

 

The more Jongin remains silent, the faster Lay begins to breathe, hands nervously playing around on the table, already covered with a thin layer of cold sweat.

 

Uhm … yeah. It doesn't … change anything“, Jongin finally speaks up after what had felt like forever.

 

Lay quietly sighs in relief but still glancing at Jongin who doesn't seem to believe his own tounge.

 

You know“, Jongin speaks up, a little more lighthearted, „let's finish eating and then get to work with that stupid convention. There's still so much to do and we don't have that much time left. Sehun probably already freaks out about the whole crap.“

 

A little disappointed, Lay looks down on his plate again, pushing the remaining food around halfheartedly. „Yeah, you're probably right. Let's finish.“

 

With nothing more said, both finish their breakfast and head out the hotel into the bright, buzzing streets of the city.

 

Jongin couldn't help the feeling that something is off between the two of them as much as he wishes the feeling away, always telling himself that he doesn't remember anyway.

 

But somehow he couldn't shake off the tension that had been lingering between them since morning.

 

Lay hadn't said a word either until now, which doesn't really add up to solving the situation.

He should probably talk to him, explain things, talk it out.

 

But he couldn't.

 

His lips just refuse to form any words other that „Hey Mr. Oh“.

 

To say this is frustrating is more than an understatement right now.

Working with Lay on a base like that turns out to be the most awkward situation he had ever gotten himself into.

 

Neither of them sais a word, nor looks at each other if not necessary.

Even Sehun watches the situation from a distance, frowning.

 

The usually teasing power-duo now seems as if it's been appaled by a massive argument.

Perhaps he should ask Jongin about it later.

 

For now, there's still way too much to do to worry about something like that.

With a deep groan he thinks about the stack of paper that needs to be finished by tomorrow to get every permission needed for the upcoming event.

 

Stupid convention, he thinks to himself, swiftly turning around to get inside.

 

If it wasn't for the money they get for hosting that event, Sehun would've never thought of allowing something so goddamn stupid. Even the thought of girls in outfits much too short for Sehuns delight and the boys in stupid nerdwear drooling over them freaks him out already.

 

Hopefully he doens't need to dress up as well, the whole hosting had already claimed much energy from everyone, especially him than needed.

 

Looking at the stack of paper, he let's out a deep sigh.

 

Perhaps he'd pull an all-nighter today.

 

 

 

 

After Jongin said his goodbys to Lay, he proceeds to cleaning the club before heading home.

Holding the broom in his hand, he feels the pocket of his jeans vibrating.

Slightly startling he puts the broom away to check who's calling.

 

Hey mom. What's up?“

 

Jongin? You hear me?“ Her voice sounds strained and quiet, almost as if she had been crying just a minute ago.

 

With his brows furrowed in sorrow, he answers: „Yeah I do. What happened? You don't sound well at all.“

 

Listen. If you can, please stay over somewhere else tonight.“

 

The crease on his forehead deepens as he listens to his mothers desperate request.

Would you finally tell me why?! Mom I'm pretty worried right now. Is he being aggressive again? Has he hurt you?! You bet I'm coming home to-“

 

No Jongin please.“ She pauses for a brief moment before continuing. „He's got some really weird pack over and I don't want you to get involved in those shady shemings. I saw them examining guns earlier that night and heard them talking about finally getting some pay-back. I know your stepfather. He'll have his way talking him out of this. I pretty much assume he'd go as far as trying to lay all this at your door later on. Please be careful and stay out of this as much as you can today ok?“

 

Floored by his mother's slightly paranoid explanations, Jongin holds his phone stiffly to his ears.

You promise Jongi?“, his mothers voice finally snaps him out of his trance.

Y-yeah, I'll do but mom?“

Yeah?“

Please be careful, lock yourself up if he tries anything shady ok? I love you.“

I love you too my little rabbit.“

 

Holy , this evening is just about to get interesting, Jongin thinks to himself cynically while putting his phone away.

 

With a long, deep sigh he grabs the broom again, cleaning the club half-heartedly.

 

As much as he tries, he just couldn't get his mind away from his mother being potentially in danger. He'd love to go home and take her with him but he knows she wouldn't want it anyway and after all, he promised to stay away from home tonight as far as possible.

 

Perhaps it'd be best to stay at the youthclub tonight, getting some work done for the upcoming convention.

 

The minute he decided, Sehun comes trotting out the office, looking extremely tired and exhausted.

As he spots Jongin, his eyebrows jump up in surprise.

 

Shouldn't you be home by now?“

 

Jongin avoids his intense gaze, focusing on cleaning the floor.

Actually I thought about staying the night. You know, there's still so much to do and we couldn't get things done properly today either.“ He sighs, putting the broom away.

 

Sehun frowns slightly. „There's still enough time for everything to be accomplished. Go home get some sleep. At least one of us wouldn't have to pull an allnighter then.“

 

Jongin an eyebrow at Sehun in surprise. „You're staying as well?“

 

Sehun nods casually, heading towards the kitchen. „I just saw the stack of documents that need to be done by tomorrow, maximum the day after, so I don't really have a choice.“

 

Jongin sighs, heading after Sehun. „Then I'll better get the coffee maker ready huh?“

 

At first, Sehun wants to protest, instisting on Jongin heading home but something about Jongin is different today.

 

He doesn't wear his usual, casual facade. His movements seem distracted and preoccupied. Even a look into his eyes tells Sehun something is fishy today.

 

He knows Jongin when being worried about something and today is definetely one of those rare occasions.

 

As he takes out two mugs, his mind carefully contemplates on how to get him talking about the issue but he pretty much instantly concludes that it wouldn't be a good idea to go like a bull at gate.

 

So he stays quiet, waiting for Jongin to get comfortable to start a conversation.

 

Want some milk?“, Jongin asks after a while of dripping and roaring of the coffee machine. Both hadn't said anything, only enjoying comfortable silence while waiting for the coffee to get ready.

Sure. And take out some sugar as well.“

 

Jongin turns around with a slightly mocking expression on his face. „Never thought you had such a sweet tooth.“

 

Well I got a thing for sweet stuff actually“, Sehun replies, smirking nonchalantly as Jongin hands him the steaming mug.

 

He notices the slight shift in the yougers expression and the faint tint of red that creeps up his neck.

 

Barely able to hold his laughter in, Sehun hastily takes a sip of the hot beverage to sooth his nerves. The milky, sweet flavor mixed with the delicate bitterness of the coffee runs down his throat, making the stack of documents ahead seem way less intimidating.

 

Hey Jongin“

 

Hm?“

 

If you're not busy with planning the convention, perhaps you could help me with the stacks of paper in the office?“

 

Jongin looks up from his coffee, a genuine smile on his face.

 

Goddamn, that boy is being strangely inoffensive today. What the heck had happened?

 

Yeah sure, after all we've got the whole night to pass. Perhaps we start right now, planning the con doesn't take that much of energy after all but I guess those scraps of paper do.“

 

A deep chuckle emitts from Sehuns lips. „Good to see we're of one mind regarding the paperwork. Alright I'll go get it. We'll just do it in the common room, I can't stand any sight of an office anymore for today.“

 

Sure. Suit yourself.“

 

With that said, Sehun turns on his heels, heading to his office while Jongin gets comfy on the generous leather sofa, placing the coffee and their mugs on the table along with some snack that are leftover.

 

Minutes later, both exertedly brood over the never ending stack of paperwork spread out infront of them.

 

It's only been half an hour and Jongins head already feels like exploding.

 

He falls back into the sofa with an unnerved groan.

Goddamn how do you manage this ing pain in the everytime? I can barely feel my face anymore.“

 

A warm, amused laugh echoes through the room and Sehun refills their cups.

That's the perk of being the head for almost six years now. You eventually learn to manage. You have to.“

 

He carefully takes a sip before talking on. „Can't imagine how I started back then.“

 

Jongin curiously his eyebrows at Sehun. „Just like me now being all ed up?“

 

A deep, roaring laugh shakes the room, causing goosebumps all over Jongins body.

 

Yeah, you could say I was pretty ed up. The first year was horrible. Everyone thinks they can act up with you, every person that's been vain of themselfs tried to tell you how to make it right and don't even get me started on all the mistakes I've made.“

 

His eyes take on a thoughtful look.

You know, compared to me, you're a downright genius. Never have I experienced things running so smooth.“

 

Jongin leans back, eyeing Sehun for a moment with a wary look.

You're not planning on shifting off your work on me do you?“

 

Another incredibly deep laugh bolts out Sehuns lips.

Hell no. I'm being serious. I'm glad you decided to work in my club. You and your friends have made incredible progress and already left a huge imapct on everyone. I don't wanna sound like a typical teacher but I'm very proud of you. You're developement is something I really do respect.“

 

With burning hot cheeks, Jongin looks down on his feet.

 

Damnit, why is Sehun always being such a nice- er??

One more compliment and Jongin is about to believe the whole sugarcoated crap.

He really does sound like his mom everytime he sais something like that.

 

That's what my mom told me as well“, he voices his thoughts out loud unconciously and instantly regrets it.

Y-You know, just like moms are. They gotta be proud of their kids or not?“, he tries to joke away the sudden heaviness miserably.

 

Sehun already noticed that something is definetely wrong.

With a soft, caring voice he asks: „You don't look so well today, is something wrong maybe?“

 

As Jongin refuses to answer, Sehun smiles at him genuinely. „You don't have to answer. This is your very personal descision and a pretty delicate topic I guess.“

 

For s sake, why was Sehun always being such a ing … teacher?! Those pedagogues are never up to something good and neither is Sehun, Jongin assumes.

He uses Jongin and his problems to cover up and make up to the problems he has himself. To make him feel better about himself.

 

As if Sehun really cared about Jongin.

 

With a scornful huff, Jongin gets back to do some more paperwork, avoiding Sehuns questioning look at all cost.

 

As Sehun realizes there's no chance to reach Jongin, he sighs inaudibly and helps Jongin working out the documents.

 

Perhaps there'd be another chance later on.

 

Almost done“, Sehun groans, as the stack of paper slowly but surely finds an end.

Both faces are painted with deep shadows and tiredness.

It had taken up an incredible amount of time to reduce the mountain of documents and now both are more than exhausted and completely strained.

 

Let's get some booze if we're done with this. That's the least I can do to make up for the immense amount of nerves being destroyed by that crap.“

 

Agreed“, Sehun moans with his eyes closed and his head leaning against the sofa.

But first, let's finally finish up the last document.“

 

Agreed“, Jongin groans, already looking forward to the burning sensation of Vodka down his throat.

 

So both quickly finish the stack, literally throwing it into the office, locking the door hastily.

 

Please never make me do this again“, Jongin moans as Sehun gets a large bottle out of the fridge.

Can't promise now you're working for me. You'll have to deal with all kinds of paperwork in the future as well. Maybe even by yourself if I'm not available.“

 

Oh don't make me even think about it right now.“

 

A sly smirk appears on Sehuns lips as he hands Jongin a small glass with clear liquid in it. Jongin eyes it warily.

You didn't put some drugs in it did you?“

 

Hey, YOU were the one to try to seduce me, remember?“

 

At the sudden, witty response, Jongin could only blush even harder than before, downing the whole glass in one go.

Fine, I won't try to do it ever again if you kindly stop reminding me about it yeah?“

 

An amused chuckle echoes through the room. „Oh you try to never do it again. That's the nicest thing I've ever heard from you.“

 

Glaring daggers at Sehun, Jongin begins to protest but is quickly cut off by Sehuns roaring, deep laughter.

If you're being so incredibly nice to me then I'll gotta drop the topic for good.“

 

Thanks“, Jongin mumbles huffily, downing another glass, enjyoing the burning sensation down his throat that keeps his mind off the awkward situation he's gotten himself into.

 

I guess drinking with your teacher could get you into some decent trouble as well actually“, Sehun starts after a while of awkward silence.

 

Oh now you're really lifting my mood“, Jongin replies sarcastically, downing his next shot quickly.

 

Sehun chuckles. „You know, not much longer and you won't be my student anymore anyway so I don't really care.“

He downs his glass as well.

 

Besides, you really kicked my over here and that's something I'd never expected from some random highschool student.“

 

Woh, woh, woh, don't you dare to call me random yeah?“

 

Again, that oh so deep chuckle of Sehun floats through the room.

Oh I forgot you've got some fragile ego. My apologies.“

 

Staring at Sehun in absolute disbelief, Jongin couldn't manage to come up with a witty answer to this shot.

 

Not that he hadn't worked his damn balls off in this ing club and now he had to endure some kind of cheap teasing from a teacher that's even drinking with him?

Something's seriously going wrong here.

 

Jongin shakes his head and grabs a few snacks to get some distraction and fill his admittedly empty stomach.

 

You hungry?“, Sehun immediately concludes, eyeing Jongin devouring the handful of crisps he has.

Goddamn, I already told my stomach to turn down the volume. You bet I'm hungry.“

Sehun sighs, exhausted and stressed.

 

Let's get some take-away. I'll be right back, you'll take care of the club ok?“

 

Jongin nods, feeling his mouth already watering at the thought of fried chicken and salty soysauce. He hopes with all his heart Sehun wouldn't take as long but knowing his fancy car, his hopes manage to be up throughout the time waiting.

 

 

Fortunately, he hears the roaring engine soon enough and minutes later, both happily munch on some chinese take-away.

 

Jongin doesn't bother about anything else until his phone vibrates, showing some notification.

He curiously looks it up and almost chokes reading the caption: „Shootings near apartment-complex.“

 

That's when his mothers words eerily crawl back into his mind, raising a painful premonition.

 

He puts away the food to read more.

 

Multiple injured people, it reads, one probably dead. Shootings inside and outside the apartments just where he lives.

 

With every line he reads, his breath becomes more and more shallow, tears forming in his eyes as the worry about his mom almost becomes unbearable.

 

He dials her number as fast as his fingers could, waiting for her soft voice to speak to him.

But he could only hear the agonizing beeps of the phone connecting.

 

No one picks up.

 

Panic constricting his chest makes him breath shallow and fast.

Everything around him seems to start spinning.

 

God, please no“, he whispers almost inaudibly.

 

Sehun notices the rapid change of Jongins mood and slowly puts a hand on his shoulder.

What's wrong, you look terrified.“

 

His dark orbs look at Jongin gently and genuinely worried.

I'm ed“, he hitches out under his shallow breath, his face buried deep in his hands.

 

Sehun tightens the grip around his shoulder. „What was happening? Tell me.“

 

But Jongin shakes his head desperately. „Holy , that . If he hurt my mom Imma kill him with his own ing gun.“

 

Sehuns eyes widen in shock as he tries to make sense of Jongins words. „A-A gun? Jongin what the hell is going on here?!“

 

The younger wordlessly points towards his phone with the news still open.

Sehun hastily scans the report, figuring the proximity to Jongins home.

 

He puts the phone down as calm as possible, trying to make sense of what Jongin had been telling just now.

 

He was talking about his mom and someone probably hurting her. A gun is involved as well.

The shooting clearly didn't target only one person so his mom being in the center of this all is probably a little unrealistic.

 

Still, Jongin couldn't get his mom on the phone, so something might have happened after all.

 

Jongin, do you want to go check on your mom? The police is probably already on it. If anything had happened to her, they'd probably be calling anyway. I doubt she's in danger.“

 

Jongins body, shaken with trembling tenses up at the thought of his mom being injured.

He grabs his stuff, looking at Sehun with pleading eyes.

 

He nods, grabbing hold of his belongings as well and both head to the black car in the back.

 

On their way to Jongins home, the younger couldn't manage to utter a single word.

Uncomfortable nausea is rumoring all around his stomach, making his mouth become dry and somewhat sickly sweet tasting.

 

He lets down the window a bit to get a peak of fresh air to calm down his messy insides.

 

Are you alright Jongin?“, Sehun asks as he notices Jongin rolling down the window.

Yeah, I'm just a little …“ He doesn't continue, instead he lowers his head in slight embarassement.

 

Sehun twigs quickly and doesn't probe any further.

If you're not feeling well, just tell me. I'll stop for a moment.“

 

Jongin nods, not sure if the elder has seen it but he doesn't care as much anyway.

All he could think of is getting his mom out of the apartment safely.

 

The actually short way up to the apartment-complex now seems to stretch into infinity before his eyes and he couldn't help but impatiently fumble his fingers, shifting in his seat every now and then.

 

The moment both arrive at the aprtment, Jongin couldn't get out of the car fast enough.

He bolts out, desperately looking to find any hint on what had happened.

 

As he scans the area, he notices police officers standing on various spots of the street, talking to people.

 

But none of these seems to be his mom.

 

Tears start to well up in his eyes. His heart beat accelerates fastly and his hands take on a layer of cold, uncomfortable sweat.

 

Sehun who stands behind Jongin notices him forming fists with his hands, the body trembling ever so slightly.

 

Hesitant at first, he slowly approaches the student until his body towers directly behind the younger. He gently puts his hands on Jongins shoulders, rubbing his thumb across the collarbone.

 

He surely notices Jongin flinching at the sudden touch but quickly, he feels the younger slowly slacking into the supportive grip.

 

It seems as if the lack of sleep and the strainig desperation take it's toll on the young body.

 

Deep, painful compassion suddenly washes over Sehun as he feels the weakness of his student. If it wasn't for the people watching and the weird situation, he would've liked to take Jongin into a tight embrace to soothe his fear and exhaustion.

 

Sehun just feels so sorry for Jongin, for him living in such miserable circumtances, for him now fearing for his mother, for him being so hard and bitter already with just merely eighteen years.

 

What he could've been if things had worked out differently?

 

A silent sigh crosses his lips and he softly speaks up to Jongin in his deep, barritone voice: „Do you want me to come along to talk to the police?“

 

To Sehuns surprise, the younger nods and starts to head towards an officer nearby.

Sehun, close behind, still keeps one hand on Jongins shoulder to encourage him.

 

With a stuttering, strained voice Jongin asks about his mother, explaining his situation as detailed as possible being in a state of dizzying fear.

The officer quickly checks something then calls over another cop.

 

While they discuss something Jongins ears don't notice at all, Sehun continues to slightly rub his hands along Jongins shoulders.

 

It'll be fine“, he whispers gently, hoping his statement would prove itself as true.

 

Mr. Kim?“, one of the policemen suddenly catches his attention back.

Y-Yeah?“ Jongin desperately tries to make something of the weird look in the police officers eyes.

I think we've got some quite unpleasant news for you. Your mother seems to be hospitalized by all appearances. But we don't know in detail how bad it really is.“

 

Jongin ignores the talking of giving his data to the police for further investigation.

 

All he could think of right now is heading to the hospital to look after his mom.


Wassup peeps? 

Long time no update but being honest I wasn't really in the mood to write since there was no reaction to the other two chapters. 

I don't wanna sound needy but putting in so much effort for you guys and recieving quite nothing is fairly disappointing :( 

You know I'm wriing this to make you happy and knowing it makes you happy or even knowing it doesn't make ME happy ^_^

So if you like please leave a comment, vote up, anything that's signaling me you like what I'm writing ;)

 

I hope you had a great week so far and wish you much much love and sunshine for the rest of it ;) Remember if life just put some glitter on it :D

Love you <3