C. 26

Poison bites

 

Mr. Kim?“

No response.

Mr. Kim??“

 

Huh?!?“, Jongin startles immediately, ripping his eyes open in slight shock and surprise.

W-W-What happened?“

 

It's just now that he realizes they're still in the hospital.

His body had been covered with a dark leather jacket up until now and his neck feels slightly stiff.

He rubs it a few times before looking over, only to find Sehun still slumbering.

 

He had been staying with me the whole time, Jongin thinks to himself, taking a quick look at the clock on the wall across.

 

He doesn't really remember the time they had arrived at the hospital but it must've been something around very early morning.

 

Now it's completely bright and sunny outside and the clock sais three in the afternoon.

 

His eyes fall back to the seeming doctor infront of him, which smiles a little under his white facemask.

I've got good news for you.“

 

Having been sleepy before, Jongin now fully awakes with the fluttering feeling of hope inside his stomach.

R-really?“

 

The doctor smiles again, squeezing his eyes in the process.

Your mother is out of risk of death so far. Still very very weak, but out of risk.“

 

Every cell in Jongins body that had been filled with worry so far now completely lights up with immense joy and relief.

He holds his breath for a moment, not quite able to believe what he had just heard.

Really?? Can I see her??“

 

The kind features of the doctor smile apologetically and he shakes his head.

I'm so sorry boy, but she's still much too weak and fragile for any visitation. It might take up to a couple of weeks or month for her to decently recover from that. If everything runs smoothly, you could go visit her in a week.“

 

Deep disappointment now spreads in Jongins body like a sticky acid he couldn't soothe.

A … week?!? I've been dying of worry for her and now I'm told I can go see her in a WEEK??“

 

The intense volume of Jongins raging voice now wakes Sehun, who blinks a few times before trying to grasp the situation.

 

As I said“, the doctor apologetically continues, „I'm so sorry we can't do much more at the moment, really. But you have to give her some time now. She was very strong, now she needs to rest a little.“

 

Almost bursting into tears, Jongin stares at the doctor in disbelief and disappointment.

The overwhelming sorrow about his mother now should be rewarded with another week of … waiting?!

Hadn't he been waiting for much too long right now anyway??

 

Goddamnit“, he hisses, clenching his fist into the dark leather jacket of Sehun while desperately trying to supress his tears.

The doctor politely bows out before heading off to work again.

 

W-What happened?“, Sehun sleepily asks, still infused with drowsieness. He yawns once before looking for his cold coffee.

Is your mother ok?“

 

Jongin, still enraged about the doctors order continues to clench his fists but nods with gritted teeth.

She made it. But I'm only allowed to visit her in a week, citing the doctor 'If everything runs smoothely'.“

 

He releases the jacket. Damn that's a fine one by the way.

After letting out a frustrated sigh, Jongin continues: „It feels like the whole waiting now was all for nothing.“

 

Now being a bit more awake, Sehun inches a little closer to Jongin, looking him directly in the eyes. Oh holy hell those eyes were so intimidatingly dark …

 

Don't say that. You almost died from panic a few hours ago and now you know your mom's alive huh? That's great news so far.“

 

He takes Jongins hands loosely as the younger doesn't respond.

I bet this surgery was more than stressfull for both sided. Give her some time to rest now, ok? I don't doubt she'll be fine and above all willing to see you.“

 

The look on Jongins face suddenly changes from unnerved into a more fearful, sad one.

He lowers his head, still not taking his hands out of Sehuns.

 

„ … You know what actually scares me about that?“

 

That's when it dawns on Sehun like a thunderstruck.

Holy … You don't wanna go home do you?“

 

Jongin quietly nods.

Nailed it. What if the police doesn't know about this bastard being involved in the shooting? I bet they can't question my mom as long as she's still recovering from surgery and I don't have any evidence as long as my mom doesn't talk.“

 

He buries his face deep in his hands.

What am I gonna do now??“

 

Sehun groans deeply in frustration. „, I didn't think about that actually. I was so happy your mom has made it that I totally forgot about that.“

 

Jongin shakes his head. „No it's ok. Didn't think about this until now as well. But I gotta come up with a proper solution as fast as possible.“

 

For a brief moment, Sehun seems to contemplate, the he looks at Jongin again.

 

Hey, what about we grab a bite somewhere and talk about this? I'll treat you.“

 

First, Jongin wants to refuse. Being treated by his teacher feels like being belittled in the most inappropriate way now.

But then his empty stomach reminds him of the massive amount of take-away he had left on the common room table and the hours of emptieness within his insides.

 

More reluctant than happy, he agrees, heavily getting up and stretching his ladden limbs.

Alright, let's go“, Sehun smiles, already heading off towards the parking lot, „I'm starving.“

 

 

 

 

Goddamn why aren't you answering?“, Baekhyun curses for the fourth time in a couple of minutes as he tries to call his best friend yet again.

 

The minute he had heard about the shooting, instantly recognizing Jongins area, he had been trying to call his best friend nonstop.

 

But Jongin isn't picking up the phone only once.

 

What Baekhyun doesn't know is, that Jongin left his phone at the youth club together with the leftover take-away by accident.

 

So now Baekhyun sits in his room completely devastated and ready to call up every ing hospital in town to check up if Jongin is there and if something had happened to him.

 

A last time he tries to call, without success.

 

With a frustrated growl he smashes his phone onto his bed.

!! Jongi please answer!!!“

 

He looks outside the window.

Everything seems sickly quiet outside as if nothing ever happened.

 

Sure those rich bastards wouldn't give two s about the crowd in the poorer areas.

He bets those pricks are happy that they could enjoy their afternoon tea in the fastiduously made up garden as if they had nothing else to worry about.

 

Angry about all the seeming ignorance, Baekhyun takes his jacket and storms out of the house, unable to bear the sight of his neighbourhood anymore.

 

He blindly walks past well dressed pedestrians with their groomed dogs, past their superficial little world until he turns into the street leading towards the nearby bus station.

To lazy to take his car, Baekhyun decides to hop on the just arriving bus heading towards the city center.

 

As he falls into his seat, his mood slowly begins to lift.

Getting away from his house and this sickly neat and groomed neighbourhood makes him feel a dozen times better.

 

Now he only has to find a way to reach Jongin.

Let's see …

 

Who could probably know about his whereabouts? Or if he had been involved in the shooting above all?

His mom? No, if Jongin had been there, she'd been too probably and both would've been caught in the fire.

 

Had Jongin been off to work for that day?

 

Actually yeah, but according to his plan only til late afternoon. Most likely he wouldn't stay any longer afterwards, merely because he hates Sehun.

 

But Lay had been working with him that day hadn't he?

 

Perhaps he knows something that Jongin had told him.

A party to attend or someone to meet?

 

Baekhyun decides to call up that little puppy in an instant.

He dials his number, impatiently waiting for the younger to pick up.

 

Baek?? What's up? I've heard about the shooting, do you know if Jongin is safe? I can't reach him.“

 

A little sting of disappointment and worry makes his way into Baekhyuns insides.

You couldn't reach him as well?“, he asks, already slightly panicing but trying to keep his calm around the mass of people.

 

The bus turns sharply into the left street and Baekhyun almost drops his phone as he grabs the nearest pole.

 

No, I tried to call him countless times but he just wouldn't answer. You know I've seen him only yesterday. I feel so guilty for leaving him like that.“

 

First Baekhyun wants to ask what Lay means by his words but the immense fear Jongin might have been injured overpowers his thoughts quickly.

Has he talked to you if something was up this evening? A party, a meeting, anything?“

 

He could basically hear Lay shaking his head and his his heart rapidly drops into his knees.

You really haven't got a clue where he might have been that night?“

 

Lay huffs on the other end. „In the worst case he was at home.“

 

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Lay“, Baekhyun groans, rubbing his face in agony.

Only one more stop until the city center.

 

I'm sorry Baek, I'm just as worried as you are, believe me. If I hear anything, I'll call you instantly. Promise you'll do the same.“

 

Promised“, Baekhyun assures before hanging up and getting out of the bus.

 

, that didn't get him any further.

What to do now?

Perhaps he should start with the place that he probably left before going home: The youth club.

 

 

Walking down the streets had never seemed so slow now that Baekhyun is eager to reach his destination.

He walks as fast as his feet could offer, ocassionally jogging down the street but as much effort as he puts in he never seems to get even an inch closer to the club.

 

that“, he hisses and waves over a taxi with wild gestures.

The taxi immediately stops and Baekhyun hops in.

 

To the local youth club ASAP!“, he commands a little harsher than intended but heck, he's in a damn hurry right now and seriously doesn't have the time to focus on a drivers emotional build up.

 

The driver frowns a little but hits the gas with full force, passing several cars in the process as if some pregnant woman in the back is about to give birth.

Satisfied with the speed, Baekhyun leans back for a short moment to organize his thoughts.

 

Ok what exactly does he expect to find at the club?

Perhaps some hint or a certain teacher that might know a little more?

Perhaps, with much much luck, Jongin had been staying longer that day and hadn't been home when the shooting occured.

 

With more questions than profound theories in his head, Baekhyun impatiently awaits the arrival at the club.

As the taxi finally stops he hastily fumbles out some money, spitting a quick „Keep the change“, on the go before he bolts out of the car towards the building of the club.

 

No one is outside and the inside seems empty as well, but maybe someone happens to be there by any chance.

Baekhyun knows all to well himself how busy Sehun could bury himself in his office.

 

He grabs the door to find it open.

Cautiously, he enters, finding two familiar figures sitting on the sofa with some food at hand.

 

To say he's relieved is more than an understatement right now.

With overwhelming joy he darts towards Jongin, who is completely clueless and hugs the life out of him.

 

Oh my God Jongin, I thought you were in hospital or one of the dead victims of the shooting.“

He takes a stern, serious look into Jongins eyes which are still wide open in shock and question.

Don't.do.that.ever.again, YOU HEAR ME???“

Unintentionally he shakes his best friend by the shoulders, causing him to spill some of the food on the floor and himself.

 

W-W-What the hell Baek?? What's wrong with you??“

 

The second Jongin spits that sentence, Baekhyuns face falls off and he stares at his best friend with a weird mix of psycophatic calmness and pure anger.

 

What's wrong with me?“, he starts off dangerously quite and Jongin knows 'd be going down the next half an hour.

 

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!? Hell Jongin I thought you were dead or in hospital at least. I couldn't reach you for ages and now you're sitting here with Sehun casually munching on some chinese food while I worried by guts out over you asking me what the hell is WRONG???“

 

That's when Jongin notices the phone still resting on the table and he slaps his forehead.

 

Holy “, he whispers, squeezing his eyes in unbearable guilt.

I forgot to take my phone with me …“ He looks up at Baekhyun with an apologetic frown.

Baekhyuns face softens and he kneels before Jongin taking his hands.

 

Jongii what happpened? You' never forget your phone unless havoc breaks loose.“

 

The latter sighs exhaustedly, embracing Baekhyuns warm, comforting hands and the safety they radiate.

So so much“, Jongin whispers, shaking his head in disbelief at the past day.

 

How's your mother? Is she one of the victims? And why are you here?“

 

Jongin takes a quick look to the right where Sehun is sitting.

Uhm … could we … perhaps talk for a while alone?“

 

Sehun immediately nods understandingly and leaves for his office.

 

Baekhyun eyes the situation warily.

Those two never seemed very cose what had happened now that they suddenly appear so familiar.

 

You know“, the latter starts, guiding Baekhyun back to reality, „I wasn't there when the shooting occured. Actually …“, he looks down in a guilty manner, „my mom had warned me. Telling me that my stepdad was probably up to something fishy. She saw the guns and heard them talking and then she called me and told me everything.“

 

He takes a deep breath as if supressing the upcoming tears.

 

She told me to stay away from home as far as possible because she believed that that spineless bastard would try to blame everything on me later. So I stayed at the club with Sehun and then …“

 

He couldn't speak any further and falls quiet.

Baekhyun understands and takes Jongin into a tight hug.

I know what happened … How is your mom, what happened?“

 

Small, glistening tears begin to stream down Jongins face as he remembers the previous events. He sobs into Baekhyuns shirt.

S-She … is ok b-but …“ Jerking sobbing interrupts his speech and he needs a couple of minutes to calm himself again.

Baekhyun gently his body still being tightly embraced as Jongin continues muffled sobs into his shirt.

 

She almost died. Multiple bullets have struck her and the doc said she almost didn't make it. But the worst part is …“, he detatches himself from Baekhyun to look his best friend in the eyes, „the worst part is I'm not allowed to see her for at least a week.“

 

Oh Jongi …“, Baekhyun softly mumbles, hugging his best friend even tighter.

I'm so sorry, I knew this bastard was up to no good. Why didn't you call the police earlier?“

 

Jongin shakes his head laughing bitterly. „To which effect? That rat is a former gang member, they know how to deal. And my mom would've got the beating if not worse … Hell I can't even say something unless they are able to question mom and maybe get some evidence against that ing hole.“

 

As Baekhyun is busy trying to figure out everything Jongin had told him right now, the latter grabs his food again, poking it rather sluggishly before putting it away again.

 

Ok? So … where the heck are you staying then? I doubt you wanna go home after that.“

 

Jongin nods with a bitter smile. „Damn sure I won't. That's what I've been discussing with Sehun up until you came.“

 

Between all the drama, Baekhyun manages to wiggle his eyebrows suggestively. „Oh now he's Sehun after all?“

Baekki …“, Jongin warns him in a threatening tone.

I'm serious what happened between you two? You seem so close now. I thought you hate him?“

 

Jongin sighs deeply as if to admit something with the next sentence.

Well he was there when everything went down. He gave me a ride to my apartment, to the hospital and he was there for me after all … I'm not sure if i could've done this without him.“

 

Although a sharp, witty comment is right on the tip of Baekhyuns tounge, he holds it back.

Instead he flashes Jongin the warmest, most comforting smile he could offer.

I'm glad you weren't alone in that. And I'm sorry it wasn't me that supported you.“

 

Now Jongin vigorously shakes his head.

Don't even start like this! I should be the one apologizing for not letting you know where I am.“

 

C'mon Jongi you know that's stupid. You were worried to death about your mom. I understand.“

 

He takes a quick look at his friend's phone.

But perhaps you should call up Lay. He was at least as worried as I was.“

 

That's when Jongin startles in his seat.

As fast as he could, he grabs the phone, looking for Lays number.

 

Lay?“, he calls out after a few beeps, „Lay you there?“

 

Jongin??? Is that you?“

 

Yeah I'm safe don't worry. Baekhyun just arrived at the club and I realized I forgot my phone here.“

 

He hears Lay sighing in relief at the end of the line.

Thank God you decided to stay at the club. I was worried sick about you.“

 

A small smile appears on Jongins lips. A grateful one.

I'm sorry I got you two worried so much but I'm fine.“

 

That's all I need to know. Mind if I join you at the club? I think we still gotta talk after everything that happened.“

 

Jongins smile widens. „Not at all. I'd be happy to have you here.“

 

Great see u in a minute.“

Bye.“

 

Just as he wants to put his phone down, it vibrates again.

 

Hm?“ Without looking at the display he answers.

Jongin?“, a raspy, sensual voice calls out on the other end.

 

Luhan??“, Jongin answers, not quite sure what to make of this.

 

Jongin you're ok?“, he asks with the most genuine concern Jongin had ever heard in his voice.

A little taken aback by this amount of compassion he answers: „Y-Yeah I am, I wasn't there when the shooting occured.“

 

On the other end, he hears Luhan mumble a hugely relived „Thank God“.

Where are you? I wanna see you.“

 

What the heck was happening now? Jongin couldn't be that important that everyone suddenly cares about him that much.

 

Uhm … I'm at the youth club right now near school.“

Oh I know this one, I'll be there in a minute. See you.“

 

Before Jongin could, Luhan hangs up and Jongin is left with pure disbelief.

What the hell?“, he mumbles, holding his phone stiffly in his hand.

 

Who was it?“, Baekhyun asks curiously.

Luha-“, Jongin starts but is cut off by the vibrating of his phone again.

 

What the-?“, he exclaims incredulously but picks up nonetheless.

 

Who's there?“, he asks genuinely curious.

 

Uhm … it's ah … Chanyeol.“

Chanyeol?!? That lil motherer??

 

I … just wanted to ask if you're ok, Baek still hasn't answered.“

 

Completely thrown off track, Jongin first couldn't answer.

He stares into distance with his mouth agape.

 

Jongin?“

 

Y-Yeah? Oh yeah I'm ok. I wasn't home that night. Baek has found me just minutes ago don't worry.“

 

Although he still despises Chanyeol because of his actions, the small gesture of compassion and empathy truly warms his heart.

Mind if I join you? Jimin and Namjoon are here as well. They've been asking about you too.“

 

Ok enough for today! This has definetely been the craziest display of affection that he had ever recieved.

Sure he had always been the popular guy and the heartthrob but never had he been so important to someone to call right after him to make sure he's ok, let alone wanting to meet him afterwards.

 

It's something Jongin doesn't know at all and it stirrs feelings within him that he can't quite figure out yet.

 

Uhm … s-sure yeah. I'm at the youth club right now.“

 

Alright see you in a minute.“

 

Baekhyun, who attentively observed the whole situation now wears a huge smile on his face.

Watch out, our Jongi is now a certified V.I.P.“

 

Oh come on Baek.“

 

What? You know I'm damn right. Look, all these people came to see you because they're worried about you. I mean the situation is more than crappy but in the end you've got people who care about you.“

 

The warmth radiating off of Baekhyun almost makes Jongin shrink back into his seat.

Goddamn, so much love at once.

 

Jongin is deadly sure he doesn't deserve to recieve that love but now it's too late.

Everyone is already on their way to the club to see Jongin.

And behind all the humble questions about why, Jongin, for a moment, is truly happy about everyone being so kind and caring.

 

 

The whole group spends the late afternoon and evening together at the club, talking, playing, laughing.

 

As for Jongin, it's the strangest get together of people he knows under God knows more than strange circumstances.

 

Still he feels like being trapped in a bubble full of safety and love as they ramble on about silly stuff while playing games and listening to music.

 

He's by far not the most affectionate person on earth and hell he despises cheesy displays of feelings but this is different.

 

Sure, they had talked about the terrible events and about Jongins mom but no one had dared to probe any further once the topic had been discussed.

 

Instead, everyone seems to try to cheer up Jongin now in their own special way, such as Luhan bringing their favorite tequila with a charming wink of his own, Lay cuddling up to Jongin with a bag of candy he feeds the elder or Chanyeol telling hilarious stories.

 

Baekhyun meanwhile sits besides Jongin quietly holding his hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze every now and then.

 

After a while, Sehun emerges from his office, probably curious about the sudden noise and finds the colorful group in the common room happily chattering, Jongin right in the center.

But most important with a wide smile on his face.

 

A small grin makes it's way to his full lips before he joins the group, greeting everyone with a casual wave.

 

Oh so you're the mysterious teacher Jongin had to call?“, Luhan bluntly blurts out as Sehun introduces himself.

 

Jongin immediately blushes hard, throwing Sehun a pleading look.

 

To avoid further snickering about this delicate topic, Sehun answers with his deep, calm voice: „Well I promised to drop the topic for good, so I'm afraid I can't tell you anymore about it.“

 

Luhan smirks dirtily: „But you don't deny it either. Ok well let's leave it at that.“

 

While Sehun joins another part of the group, Luhan leans over, whispering into Jongins ear: „Definetely wouldn't have minded you to him that night. That guy's sizzling hot.“

 

Oh my God Luhan!!!“ Jongin almost jumps in his seat as he hears Luhans raspy voice whisper those suggestive words.

 

The blush that had been subsiding until now kicks in again harder than before.

Thanks to Luhans words, Jongin now couldn't shake off the memories about calling Sehun while random pictures of him half in the bathroom pop up in his head.

 

His face now burns hot with shame and disgust as he just couldn't manage to get rid of those images in his head.

Goddamnit, sometimes you're really a pain in the Luhan.“

 

Oh I hope so“, another suggestive grin finds it's way to those lucious lips, „otherwise it wouldn't be fun teasing your tight hole.“

 

Ok, that's definetely too much for today.

Jongin grabs a nearby pillow and buries his burning face as deep inside as he could, ignoring Luhans dirty laugh and Baekhyuns snickering besides him.

 

you two“, he muffles out of the pillow huffily and tries to push his face even deeper into it.

 

But before he could successfully suffocate himself, Sehun appears before him, talking with his deep, husky voice: „Got a minute?“

 

Huh?“ Jongin jolts up from his former position, looking at Sehun with a questioning look. That's when he first notices his dark eyes and the small amber ring surrounding his iris.

 

U-Uhm yeah sure, what is it?“

Let's go talk about this outside“, Sehun answers while getting up, „I need a cigarette anyway.“

 

Had this been the first time he hears his teacher admitting to smoke for real?!

Holy hell, what other surprises would this day include yet?

 

Alright.“

Jongin joins the tall frame as they walk outside, greeted by soft, drizzling rain.

 

Didn't notice it started to rain“, Jongin wonders while rummaging his pockets for his pack of cigarrets.

Before he could find it, a dark package is being held right before his chest.

 

Surprised and shocked at the same time he looks at the package, then Sehun who already lit his up.

Hesitantly, he takes one and lights it up as well.

 

Soo … What is it you couldn't discuss infront of the others?“

Sehun casually blows out his smoke into the rainy sky, admittedly looking like some smug bastard right out of an action movie after he killed his target.

 

But before his brain could ramble on any further about stupid stuff like that, the smug bastard starts talking again: „We still didn't come to terms with your current living situation, remember?“

 

Oh yeah, Jongin remembers too well. Just right the second they had started talking about the difficult topic, Baekhyun had bolted inside the room, looking for Jongin.

Now they are eactly as cunning as before.

 

Jongin takes a deep drag, blowing out the smoke in little circles.

Perhaps I can stay with Baekhyun. There's enough room for everyone definetely, at least until things are cleared out. I still don't know how everything will turn out in the future though. Maybe if that bastard has really shot her on purpose then living with him is definetely not an option anymore and I really don't know what to do then.“

 

Sehuns gaze falls into the distance, a thoughtful look on his face.

Not much longer and you might have the chance of getting into college.“

 

Jongin takes another deep drag. „Yeah, given that I really make it into college and what about my mom then? I suppose she can't live with me in the dorms.“

 

I know“, Sehun replies while exhaling his smoke, „that's something I thought about as well. I might have an idea.“

 

Now Jongin looks at the elder curiously. What could he have in mind Jongin handn't already thought of?

 

Perhaps she could live in my house.“

 

Hearing Sehuns words, Jongin almost drops his cigarette.

 

W-W-WHAT??“

 

Sehun casually relights his cigarette, taking another drag. „As I said, it's just an idea but you might think about it. I've got this big house to myself and only share it with a dog. There's plenty of room for her to live and maybe … maybe even you if you don't make it into college first hand.“

 

Jongins heart starts beating rapidly at the thought of living with Sehun, his teacher, his ing teacher!

Above all his mom living with a man she doesn't know as much as of rare meetings.

That plan is so heavily absurd, that Jongin think's it's definetly doomed to fail.

 

You don't have to answer to this right now“, Sehun husks as he puts out his cigarette, „just consider this a serious offer I made.“

 

His lips want to form something in the likes of „Ok“ but Jongin just couldn't get himself to form any words as he's still shocked to the bone.

 

Had this crazy get together been considered crazy, then Jongin needs to correct himself right now: This has definetely been the most insane twist of the day he had experienced so far.


Ohhhhhh my goodness :D Another chappie right on board my lil cupcakes ^__^

I guess the crappy weather has taken it's toll on me in the best way possibe, snuggling up in bed with my fav tea and my precious laptop to get productive and write >:D 

So here you go, really hope you like it ^__^ 

P.S.: I was DEFINITELY overwhelmed with the great response to the last chapter <3 Thanks for everyone commenting, subscribing and votig up, it really made my day in the best way possible <3

I wish you a great weekened with much much sun and fun ^^

Love you <3