Exposition

A Game of Chaos

 

“I… How do I explain this?” SungMin sighed to himself; he glanced down at DongHae and shook his head. “I-I’m not sure how to start this…”

“Just start talking I guess…”  DongHae replied cautiously.

“I…”SungMin started, his memories flashing in front of his eyes; they began to play like a movie.

                Slowly SungMin allowed for the memories to surround him; they enveloped him and drew him into the past he had lived. His voice cracked as he began to speak softly, his words barely above a whisper and DongHae had to lean in closer to hear him. SungMin began to narrate his story, starting from the first of the many images that flashed into his mind: the night at the hospital.

                SungMin found himself completely entranced in the scene, he was reliving it as he dictated; everyone, every resident, surgeon, nurse and patient stood in their respective places, exactly as they’d been that night. Time began to move in his mind, the scene his mind had recreated began to replicate everything that had occurred that night; SungMin found himself falling into the rhythm as well. He approached the main desk and asked the receptionist, EunHee, if he had any patients to check on; she shook her head and gave him a sincere smile. SungMin sighed, EunHee had always liked him more than the other nurses and he’d often over heard her talking to her friends about him. Quietly he thanked her and headed towards the break room, he’d been on his third, fourteen hour night shift in a row and was beyond exhausted. He walked into the break room to find it empty, devoid of any of the chatty residents that usually stayed in there when not on call or in a patient; SungMin sighed in relief, he was not in the mood to deal with them. He shuffled over to one of the couches and flopped onto it, not caring about how he landed; all he cared about was getting to sleep and leaving the stressful world of being a trauma nurse behind him. Ever since he’d started the job he’d found his dreams filled with darkness, gunshot wounds, screaming, car crash victims and the occasional crying family; he hated being unable to divorce himself from the job like the other nurses.

                His eyes drooped closed as he inhaled the sterilized scent that surrounded him; in and out he breathed rhythmically, the steady rhythm of his breathing evened out and he succumb to sleep. In the recesses of his mind he could hear the tortured screams of victims of the modern world being rolled into the trauma center; slowly they got louder as SungMin dream he was attempting to assist Dr. Choi in surgery on an expectant mother who’d been stabbed. In his dream he and Dr. Choi were attempting to save both the baby and the mother but the odds looked slim; the screams drew nearer. Suddenly a gurgled scream tore itself from his own throat and he woke abruptly, tears streaming down his face; he looked up at the room, unable to see anything beyond the inky darkness that enveloped the room. Searing pain coursed through his body and he found himself unable to move, he looked downward and could see Dr. Choi’s smiling face. He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out; his throat became suddenly raw as the pain intensified, another scream left his mouth. Dr. Choi’s smile grew bigger, more sadistic as SungMin painfully realized what was occurring.

                Pain coursed its way through his lower back, tears streamed down his cheeks as he was held down; he screamed again and again as he struggled to break free. Even after the martial arts he’d taken, he found himself unable to hurt the man holding him down; Dr. Choi was too strong and he’d trusted him too much, his best friend had betrayed him in the most brutal way possible. He could hear his friend’s voice mocking him, taunting him as SungMin cried; he encouraged him to scream, told him that no one would hear him. SungMin looked at the ceiling of the room, refusing to look at the man pinning him to the couch; he found the darkness almost comforting as pain surged through his body both mentally and physically. It beckoned him, called to him in between his screams of pain and horror; he tried to struggle against the man’s grip, twisted his wrists in a vain attempt to escape. The pain continued even after Dr. Choi had pulled back, the tears continued to roll down his cheeks and broken sobs wracked his shivering frame; he could hear the smirk in the other’s voice as he was told he’d “been good”.  As Dr. Choi spoke to him he could hear the darkness calling him, begging him to try to save himself, to break free from the humanity that had always gotten him into trouble. SungMin shook his head, refusing the darkness; he couldn’t hurt the man that had hurt him. Suddenly there was a glint of shining metal in the other man’s hand; SungMin froze as he recognized the shape of a scalpel in the other man’s hands.

                Dr. Choi drew closer, scalpel poised to kill the helpless man lying on the couch as the darkness beckoned him to protect himself, to fight back. Dr. Choi’s arm shot forward, the scalpel aimed at SungMin’s jugular; the nurse pulled himself out of the away before the metal could make contact. Dr. Choi let out a low growl and began to taunt him as he tried to pin SungMin down; adrenaline pumped through SungMin’s veins with every stab of pain that coursed through his lower body. He managed to grab Dr. Choi’s wrist and land a kick to the man’s jaw, sending the homicidal man stumbling backwards. SungMin pounced on him as soon as the doctor was knocked off balance, his lower back felt like it was on fire but fight or flight instinct had taken over. He wrestled the scalpel out of the other man’s hands and without a second thought brought the surgical tool down onto the man’s chest. SungMin sobbed as he repeatedly pulled the blade out of the man underneath him and stabbed back down again; he screamed curses and obscenities as he felt the other man’s blood splash on to his form. SungMin felt a hand grabbed him, heard people screaming and crying as he swung wildly with the scalpel; his eyes focused as the blade caught in something, it was EunHee’s neck. She stared at him with terrified eyes as his hand moved on its own and it cut through her jugular; the tears barely had time to spill from her eyes before she’d fallen to the ground, dying in her best friend’s arms.

            SungMin’s tears rolled down his cheeks, sobs wracked his frame as he heard the scalpel clatter to the floor; his mind screaming at him for what he’d done. What had he done? He’d murdered two people, one of which used to be his best friend; the other a young nurse that had barely turned twenty two, she had her whole life ahead of her. A voice called out to him, pleading for him to snap out of it; SungMin shook his head and looked down at his hands, he saw the blood that coated them slowly beginning to drip off and on to the floor, none of it was his. The voice called to him again, SungMin sobbed in response. He felt a punch connect to his face and his brain snapped back into his reality, away from the memories that had haunted him; he looked up to see a sobbing DongHae. SungMin quietly raised a shaking hand to his jaw, it was wet and stung at the touch; he moved his hand upward and felt tears rolling down his cheeks. DongHae pulled him into a tight hug.

“I-I’m sorry Minnie-hyung…you started crying and you wouldn’t snap out of it and I…” DongHae sobbed, clutching at the older man.

“It’s okay Hae…” SungMin whispered, his voice cracked as he spoke.

            Against his better judgment SungMin reached for DongHae and pulled him closer; he clung to the younger man desperately, seeking comfort from the man he doubted was capable of giving any. DongHae held the sobbing man tightly as he felt sympathetic towards the former nurse.

“I-I killed them Hae… I killed them…” SungMin unwittingly whispered against the younger’s shoulder.

“Hyung…It wasn’t your fault, Dr. Choi he—“

“Don’t!” SungMin yelled, cutting DongHae off. “Just don’t…” 

`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sooo...this chapter did NOT turn out the way I wanted it to... but eh, it's probably the best out of the ten versions of this chapter so yeah... umm... although it isn't explicitly stated I think you guys can figure out what happened to Minnie in his back story... this is only about the first half of Minnie's back story so yeah... more to come~ and possibly a little bit of Hae's back story. Umm...let's see...what else do I have to address...umm...Oh! KyuHyunnie will be showing up again shortly and as will the rest of them, I have the next like 20 chapters mostly planned out and will set about on working on them shortly~! Merry Christmas guys! I LOVE YOU ALL~

~Key