Strangers

The Fools
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

07 | Strangers

 

***

 

It started so smooth - Seohyun is taking all notes about the blonde's instruction and is doing them well, like chopping the needed to be chopped ingredients, and Jessica will put them into the pan and cooks it. Whatever will the chef ask her to pass; she will hand it to her. She's just quiet, moving from left to right, like she's the student and following all the professors’ instructions for her to do. She somehow unconsciously loves what's happening. It feels like they're just at home or somewhere that's enjoying cooking. She's learning at the same time.

 

After another 30 minutes, their dish that Jessica calls as 'Sica Seafood Pasta' and 'Joohyun Crab Stuffed lobster tail' since the younger one was the one who dressed it after they cooked it together.

 

They stood with confident smile in front of the ten panel judges while they taste their food.

 

Jessica however couldn't stopped herself and reminisce the times she and her ex-girlfriend have this little competition for each other, which is for fun only. They end up cooking more and eating more of their own dishes. Despite recalling her good times with her ex-girlfriend, she keeps her smile, like it was nothing for her anymore.

 

Seohyun glances to the older and is glad to see her smiling like she is apparently. They've enjoyed cooking together for that first time, which matters most than their childish 'annoying' war for each other. Facing back the judges, her heart suddenly beats nervously upon seeing them now giving them points at each category. She can feel her legs are trembling slightly as well, as anxiety strikes. 'Please be good, please be good, please be good.' She's not into contests, but she has in television, every time the winner takes it all and the loser gets nothing, it always gives her a sad feeling for the loser. So winning is a must. Not only for herself, but for her sister, that she's supporting for her studies. It's always about her if she gets the chance to save money, ever since their parents’ death.

 

After a couple of comments about the dish, Jessica and Seohyun were asked to take their seats together with the other chefs. Since they're second to the last, they have to wait first before the last contestants finished.

 

"Unnie, thank you." Said Seohyun, touching the blonde's hand and give it a gentle squeeze of gratitude.

 

Jessica felt a little uncomfortable and quickly she put the younger girl's hand away. "Don't mention. I just did what I should do. I mean, Hara can't take the contest, right?" she tried to deny that she didn't like what happened up in the stage, but she failed miserably because of Seohyun's warm smile. "Aigoo, I love cooking too, so yeah, it's nothing." She ends up telling her the truth. "I'm glad to be a help." she added, hoping she doesn't sound awkward.

 

Seohyun thumbs up. "I am too. I mean, for your dish earlier. You did well."

 

Jessica scoffs. "Yeah, look who is praising me? You still owe me something." she quickly reminds her.

 

"Omo, I think I forgot that something." Seohyun playfully replied, earning a hit on her arm. She chuckles and was about to hit the blonde when it hits her - 'She just hit me without hesitations?' "Yah! Jessica Jung! Why did you hit me?"

 

"Wae? I have no right? You owe me something, you know."

 

"That doesn't mean you can hit me that normally!" Seohyun unconsciously yelled out of her frustrations.

 

Jessica almost immediately covered Seohyun's mouth. "Are you insane? We're still in the competition! You should quit that first. Aish! So annoying!"

 

Seohyun nodded politely as she pushed the older girl's hand away. "But still, don't hit me." She pouts cutely. "I don't like hitting you, so you should do the same."

 

Jessica was dumbfounded with the kind of request from the other girl. 'She's indeed-'

 

"I'm may be stupid, don't mind me." Seohyun mimics and stuck her tongue playfully.

 

"Aish!" The blonde girl tried to hit the younger, but couldn't continue it. She scoffs in disbelief as she shrugs her shoulders.

 

"By the way, Unnie. You're so good at cooking, where did you learn it?"

 

Sighing in defeat, Jessica opens again and replied, "Mom. She's a chef. She taught me at the age of 10."

 

"I did not ask for the age, though." Giggling, Seohyun once again finds another reason to annoy the older, which sent her cold gazes. She eventually moves a little away from her and hugs her arms that were having cold goose bumps. She rubs them continuously while the blonde is still staring at her.

 

Jessica drops her cold gazes after a while, but that's before she ruffles the girl's hair unconsciously.

 

Seohyun eventually fixed her hair. "Don't mess with my hair. We might go back to the stage once we win!"

 

"How sure are you?" Chuckled Jessica in amusement.

 

"I'm 100 percent sure."

 

"And why?"

 

"Because our dish is more than tasty to look." Seohyun exaggeratedly said with another thumbs up she showed to the older.

 

"Presentation doesn't have any count." Jessica reminded somehow. "The taste has more than the percentage. So don't be too confident. It might fail you hard."

 

"Chincha?"

 

"I've experienced it a lot of times." Jessica proudly shares.

 

"Wow, where? In your company? Cause you look like a manager or something in s big company." Said Seohyun, can't deny it from the first time she encountered her though.

 

"I told you, you don't know me."

 

"Well now I know you." Seohyun playfully replied.

 

Sighing, the older one rolled her eyes in the process. "I don't have anything to say sbout myself... "

 

"Why not?"

 

"We are not friends."

 

Seohyun dramatically hold her chest and acted like she was hurt. "Unnie, that hurts."

 

"Yah!" Without warn, Jessica unconsciously flicks the younger girl's forehead which once again stunned her.

 

"I can do that as well, right?" Seohyun tried to do the same but Jessica hastily moves away, avoiding her attempt.

 

"I only have the right to do that." Explained the older one almost immediately.

 

Seohyun was about to insist when she heard her name and the blonde girl's name being called up stage. She and the latter almost immediately stand up from their seats and climbed up stage. It wasn't only them; there are three more partners who went up stage.

 

Jessica couldn't help herself and felt a little nervous. She unconsciously took the girl's hand and hold it in place.

 

Seohyun looked down and smiled to their hands, which made her hold back as well. She herself is nervous and that needs someone to support her. Otherwise, she'll have a nervous breakdown.

 

A few minutes later, they are being announced one by one, to whom who places from fourth to second, until there's only two partners left up stage.

 

Jessica and Seohyun tightly hold into each other's hand, feeling like the world is watching them.

 

"If we will be called, don't blame me. But if not, let's celebrate." Whispers Jessica to the annoying girl that keeps on rubbing her hand like she's comforting her.

 

"Yes,Unnie."

 

"And quit calling me that. I told you I'm not your sister." Jessica said in command, earning a soft giggle only. "Here we go." But she ignores that as she hold on her breath, close her eyes and wait for the announcement of the first place.

 

Seohyun close her eyes as well, as she braces herself to know the result. Her heart beats are faster than ever. She barely could catch up. 'This is for you my sister.' But she's sure she will not fail when it comes to her sister. It doesn't matter if she wins or not, as long as she gets an opportunity to earn money for her studies. Being a winner is now a bonus for her.

 

From the moment the first place was called, both girls opened their eyes and looked into each other. As their eyes meet, they totally just throw their arms into each other and out of joy, Seohyun unconsciously have lifted Jessica up and suddenly spins her around and around, like they're the only one up on the stage.

 

Jessica'sarms are spread however, feeling like she's floating which made her so happy.

 

Everyone in the audience are amused and the same time taking pictures of their kind of celebration.

 

"Look at these two. I only left for a while, they're that close already." Hara who just came on time felt proud because her diarrhoea didn't come to waste. It's so fun to see them celebrating together without mocking or annoying each other.

 

 

***

 

 

Unfortunately, Seohyun was a little sad when she came to the table where she left the older for a while. She wasn't there anymore just when they are starting to celebrate the win. "I thought I owe her something?" She asked herself but she couldn't answer her own question.

 

Heck, she finds herself leaving the restaurant and searched for her, hoping to see her and bring her back to the place.

 

Out of the places she went, she spotted her at the ship's deck, where only few people are spending their night. Enjoying the night as it unfolds.

 

But unlike the others, the blonde is alone and is having a wine. Seohyun tiptoes towards her until she's one step away.

 

"Why did you left?" She asks her without giving acknowledgement. But she made sure her voice is soft, afraid to annoy the other girl.

 

"Aigoo, I knew you would search for me." Jessica wasn't surprised anymore. "Let's drink?" She offers the glass of wine she's holding in her right hand, but the latter refused to have a drink.

 

"You shouldn't have left and drink alone." Said Seohyun as she stood next to the older. "You know you can drink with me, Unnie. But thanks for the help earlier. I couldn't get the prize without you." She sincerely smiled.

 

"Aigoo..." Jessica only just sighs and takes a couple of drinks again. She's not in the mood to annoy Seohyun and so, she just ignored her.

 

"Fine, I won't call you, Unnie anymore. I'll call you Jessica from now on."

 

"That's even better." Jessica smiled a little and once again drinks her wine.

 

Seohyun sighs. "What brings you here, though?"

 

"I don't have appetite out of a sudden." Explained the older. She honestly had an appetite but she saw a couple earlier that made her want to leave the place and have her win instead. "It's all yours now."

 

"Do you mean, the celebration dinner? That was ours, Jessica-ssi."

 

"Ask Hara to accompany you. I'm good here."

 

For the second time of the night, Seohyun sighs in defeat and in frustrations. "Something bothering you, No?" She guesses. She decided not to push the topic anymore and wanted to stay with the older one. Because obviously, she wouldn't like her insisting it further. If there's one thing that she realized, it's about the girl that just the same as her, broken. She doesn't know why but she definitely can feel it's the same like hers.

 

"None of your business." mutters Jessica only.

 

"You know it's good if you share it. Because they say, it will make someone feel better."

 

Couldn't believe what she heard, Jessica faces Seohyun with an agape lips. "You're being nice now, eh?"

 

"Look, I may be annoying you sometimes, but that doesn't mean I am clueless. In fact, I've seen you crying." Seohyun decided it's time to tell the blonde that she knows.

 

"What do you mean, cry? I never cried." Jessica laughs out so loud, as she finds it funny and at the same time, she's denying it, because it means, she knows she's weak.

 

"Yeah, yeah, but that's not what I want to hear. I want you to share me what's been bothering you." Seohyun's tone sounds so serious that it stopped the blonde from laughing, awkwardly in front of her.

 

Looking away from the latter, "I've seen you, you cried as well." Jessica also confessed what she caught saw back then in the movie theatre.

 

"You... were there?"

 

"I was next to you and you keep on crying. For some unknown reasons, you can't even let go of me that time. Now tell me what is it about also?" Jessica strikes back, smirking at the younger, like mocking her also from what she saw.

 

Pouting her lips, Seohyun shrugs her shoulders. "That was because I have a reason."

 

"And so am I." Jessica instantly replied.

 

"Why don't you tell me then?"

 

"Ha! You should tell me first." Jessica demanded.

 

"I caught you first." However, Seohyun can't share hers without hearing the blonde's story first.

 

"No, you cried to me first." Heck, Jessica knew she saw the younger cried first.

 

"What the."

 

"Just spill it now." She smiled victoriously, knowing that the other girl can no longer counter back. She stuck her tongue and once finally finishes her wine.

 

Seohyun got quiet, as she takes time on how to start it first. She never shared anything personal to someone she barely know except her name. But she somehow can't also deny the fact that she needed someone to share everything she had been keeping ever since her ex has broken her heart. She took a little while however before she started sharing. "It's because someone broke my heart. The reason why I'm here is because I'm broken and I want to forget everything about that girl have done to me. I want to forget my feelings for her and move on, so the pain will go away. And so far, I'm forgetting that she exists." she exhales after she told her, but for some unknown reasons, it feels great to be sharing it. She then faces the older and wait for her to share hers.

 

Jessica is stunned and that makes her to feel empathy over the younger girl. "I... I... have the same reason." she replied hesitantly. She slowly put her hand over the top of her chest and continued, "The person who had been telling me we'll last forever, broke me up. What frustrates me, it was because of her dream. And who I am going to stop her from that, right? I can't also continue our relationship because it's going to be long distance, which actually doesn't work most of the time."

 

"My ex gives me a false hope too. I mean, after 5 years of LDR, she suddenly came back just to break up with me." Seohyun grit her teeth as the pain once again struck her chest. It's still feels like it will explode.

 

"Wow, that just stupid." Jessica commented. "I mean, you're stupid for allowing her to have a Long Distance Relationship with you."

 

"And you are stupid for not stopping her."

 

"Yah! If you really love that someone, you should support her, not stopping her."

 

"But that only hurt you, didn't it? If she loves you, she's willing to give up her dream and be with you." said Seohyun as she believes it firmly. "I think you guys can dream together and reach them together, can't you?"

 

Jessica could only nod. "But I sseriously can't stop her. Besides, we don't have the same dream. I mean, I'm into journalism which I am planning to pursue." and explained her side. "While she wants to be a doctor or a nurse."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter