Blushes and Smiles

Spartace: School Love Affair

"Waaah! Song Ji Hyo! ", Jae Suk exclaims as they settle around a table for lunch. He gazes at Ji Hyo in amazement. "We really saw what you did with that girl! "

 

Ji Hyo's eyes widen as she looks around, the guys looking at her knowingly. 

 

She knows they are talking about her blocking that girl's hand from grabbing her. 

 

"What?", she asks innocently. 

 

"This noona is scary. ", Kwang Soo says, earning a glare from Ji Hyo. 

 

"I wonder how the boys in school see her as graceful. ", Joong Ki adds. 

 

"Hey! ", she yells at them. 

 

"Eeeehy, that's what makes her even more charming, don't you think? ", Gary says with a grin. 

 

The others look at him, finding his statement a bit weird. 

 

"He's fallen in her trap. ", Suk Jin says to the others. 

 

"Ah, why~~~?! Look at her! ", he insists, gesturing Ji Hyo. 

 

Their gazes turn towards her, and she immediately feels embarassed. 

 

"She's undeniably pretty! ", Gary adds. 

 

"Hey! ", Ji Hyo exclaims madly as she leans closer to Gary to hit him. 

 

But Kwang Soo points her with wide eyes. "She's blushing! She's blushing! "

 

"She is! ", the others agree in chorus. 

 

She closes her eyes, containing her annoyance. She's being bullied by seven guys. Great. 

 

"Hey, Ji Hyo-ah. We didn't know you also blush. "

 

She throws dagger looks at them. "All of you,  shut up! "

 

They just laugh. 

 

She looks away from them and catches the gaze of the girl that she had hit earlier. She is glaring at her so piercingly that she thinks she might collapse in her seat any minute. 

 

Just to fuel her annoyance more, Ji Hyo looks away as if she did not even notice her. 

 

"Hyung, look at her! She's so good at making enemies! ", Haha tells Jae Suk as he points Ji Hyo. 

 

Jae Suk rests an elbow in the table and chuckles. "Ji Hyo-ah.. I know you're uncomfortable in this setting, but that doesn't mean you can make everyone in here your enemy. "

 

"I'm not! ", she denies. 

 

"But you're doing it right now. ", Jae Suk teases. 

 

She grits her teeth, stopping herself from yelling unearthly words towards Jae Suk. 

 

"Excuse me. ", she says and gets up. 

 

She leaves the Dining Hall and heads to the room. Specifically, the boy's room. 

 

She is never going back to that room she is assigned in. She really feels bad on the girl who had a nosebleed yesterday. 

 

She lays in the bed that she had slept in last night. She is pretty sure it had been Kim Jong Kook's, before she came and claimed it. 

 

She stares up at the ceiling, trying to figure out what she is really doing in this kind of place. 

 

She did nothing good ever since she got in the place, and all the boys are annoying her so much. 

 

She badly wants to go home. 

 

Her annoyed thoughts are cut off with the sound of the door opening. 

 

She sits up and sees Kwang Soo backing a step back when their eyes met. 

 

She gives him a piercing glare and he walks across the room taking the way farthest from her reach. 

 

Kwang Soo stiffly sits on his bed and hesitantly looks at Ji Hyo. "I'm just gonna take a nap since the program is resuming in 1pm. ", he explains. 

 

She does not say a word. 

 

He lies down with his back facing her direction. 

 

She crosses her legs in the bed, suppressing her grin. 

 

No matter how annoying this guy is, she somehow finds him funny. Why is he even afraid of her when he's, like, two times taller than her? 

 

The door opens again and this time, it is Kang Gary who enters. 

 

"Ji Hyo-ah~", he says in a teasing tone as he sits in front of her. 

 

She stares at him blankly. 

 

"Are you mad? Come on! The guys are just teasing you. ", he says. "Hm? Hm? Hm? ", he says, showing him weird faces that are supposed to be cute for him. 

 

This guy in front of her.. Is another funny guy that she can not figure out. 

 

He looks so serious from faraway, but when he gets to know someone, he turns into this weird, funny guy. 

 

Her lips starts to curve without her intending to, and he points at her face. 

 

"You're smiling! Hahaha! You're smiling. ", he says with a wide smile in his face. 

 

That is when she really smiles, just because she finds him funny. 

 

But then she catches a glimpse behind Kang Gary, where Kwang Soo is still lying, his body twisted for him to see her and Gary. 

 

Her smile immediately banishes. 

 

"Just pretend i'm not here. I'm invisible. ", Kwang Soo says and turns their back towards them again. 

 

"What a weird guy. ", Gary says. 

 

"Hark who's talking. ", Ji Hyo says and he just laughs. 

Later.. 

Jae Suk has been noticing some guys stealing glances to their table. 

 

Unless those guys are sneaking a peek of him, or Jong Kook, or Kwang Soo, he is pretty sure they are checking Ji Hyo out. 

 

Ji Hyo, on the other hand, has no idea about this and is just frowning at some jokes that Gary has been bothering her with. 

 

It is such an amusing sight for Jae Suk,  watching a girl being oblivious that some guys finds her attractive. 

 

Of course, he is not surprised with that at all, with Ji Hyo's looks and all. 

 

Yet he still feels kind of responsible to keep those hyenas away from the doe, not that Ji Hyo is the complete gentle-as-doe type, though. He and the others dragged her into this, so they might as well take care of her. 

 

Though he is well aware that Ji Hyo can definitely take care of herself. 

 

"Yah! Where are you going? ", Gary asks with a grin as he watches Ji Hyo marches towards the buffet table during snack time with an annoyed expression in the face. 

 

"Such a short-tempered girl. ", he says, chuckling, as he faces the others. 

 

"And a big eater. ", JoOng Ki adds, his eyes focused on Ji Hyo's direction. 

 

They follow his gaze and see what he meant. Ji Hyo is taking out her annoyance by stuffing whole pieces of macaroons into , one after the other. 

 

"She's really a strange brat. ", Dong Hoon states. 

 

But then, Jae Suk spots a guy deliberately standing next to her as if he is getting himself some macaroons, too. He is one of the guys who are glancing at Ji Hyo though. 

 

From his position, he could still see that the guy is attempting to make some conversations with her. 

 

"They're completely attracted to her. ",  Suk Jin says, seeing what he's seeing. 

 

"Yeah. Like beetles being drawn into the light. ", Kwang Soo says. 

 

"We can't deny the fact that she really is good-looking, though. No matter how strange she is. ", Gary states matter-of-factly. 

 

The others might have agreed with that, too, considering that no one dared to argue. 

 

"I'm gonna go get myself a drink. ", Jong Kook says as he gets up and heads towards the buffet table. 

 

He goes near Ji Hyo and the guy but does not even attempts to interrupt the conversation, disappointing Jae Suk. 

 

"Gary-ah. Go and bring Ji Hyo back here. ", Jae Suk says. 

 

"Why? "

 

"Guys might crowd around her. ", he says. 

 

Gary did as he was told. 

 

The strange thing Jae Suk figures out is that Gary may look stupid most of the time, but when he gets fpcused on one thing, he could also appear as someone who should not be taken easily. 

 

He calls Ji Hyo with a stern face and looks at the guy bravely before he follows Ji Hyo back to their table. 

 

"Tssss.. Look who's trying to be friendly. ", Kwang Soo says, staring at Ji Hyo. 

 

She gives him an innocent look and says,  "What? I did not go and talk to him first. ", she says defensively. 

 

Jong Kook comes back to their table after getting a glass of juice. 

 

"Are you saying that i'm a flirt? ", Ji Hyo frankly asks Kwang Soo, whose eyes went wide with surprise. 

 

"No! I wasn't. ", he defends. 

 

Ji Hyo turns to Gary. "And you. Why do you have to call me like you're some kind of an older brother who sees her sister flirting with some guy? "

 

Gary shrugs, not knowing what to say. "Because you are? " He immediately covers his head with his arms, bracing himself for the impact of Ji Hyo's lifted hand. 

 

But she does not hit him and turns to Jong Kook instead. "And you.. ", she seeths with clenched teeth. 

 

"What? ", he asks, with an innocent expression that he surprisingly pulls off despite of his strong, dominating figure. 

 

"Sneakily getting close, pretending to get himself a drink..,", Ji Hyo says with a piercing glare. 

 

Jong Kook's expression looks trapped, as if he had been caught doing something embarassing. 

 

"I--i wasn't! ", he denies. 

 

"Ji Hyo-ah.. ", Jae Suk joins in. "We just don't want you to be abused by those guys. "

 

"I don't need that, i can take care of myself! "

 

Gary pats Ji Hyo's back out of the blue, and then says, "Ji Hyo-ah. I'll still protect you even if you don't need it. "

 

It is so sudden that it caught Ji Hyo off guard and speechless, totally losing her hot head. 

 

The sudden change of atmosphere makes everyone laugh, even the only girl in the group. 

 

"She's laughing! ", Ha Dong Hoon points out. 

 

Ji Hyo tries to stop but fails. "Gary.. He often says these cliché things out of the blue.", she says, still laughing. 

 

"Waaahh. So Gary can turn you that way, huh? ", Suk Jin asks. 

 

"Do you, perhaps, like me? ", Gary asks in a joking aggressive manner. 

 

"Yah! ", Ji Hyo complains. 

 

"Hyung, i think that's a bit overboard. ", Kwang Soo suddenly butts in. 

 

"Why? "

 

"I mean, how can a beautiful girl like someone like you? ", he says with a serious face matter-of-factly that makes everyone laugh again, except for Gary. 

 

"There's more chance that she laughed upon seeing your face. ", Joong Ki adds. 

 

"Yah! ", Gary scolds the two. 

 

"Either way, we still made Ji Hyo laugh. Yeey! ", Ha Dong Hoon yells loudly.