His Melody

Spartace: School Love Affair

"Ji Hyo-ah.. ", Gary calls her when she is heading towards the library. 

She stops and turns to him. "Ou, oppa? "

He smiles at her and they enter the library together. 

"Are you doing well? ", he asks. 

"Mm. ", she says as she nods. 

He follows her towards a table, where she puts her things and then heads to the aisle of shelves. 

"Our Ji Hyo's studying well, i see. ", he says as he watches her, leaning against one of the shelves.

"Well, i have to. I might get grounded by my aunt again. ", she says, pulling out a book from the shelf. 

"I keep forgetting that you're the top student ", he says, closing his eyes tight as if forcing the information in his brain. 

"I like it better though. At least you see me as a normal being other than a robot who knows nothing but study. ", she says, flipping some pages in the book as she search for some title. 

"Eehy, they don't see you like that. ", Gary disagrees. 

"Really? ", she asks without lifting her gaze off the book. "Then what did you think about me before you knew me?"

There is a long pause from Gary, confirming her suspicion. That is when she looks at him. 

"That is exactly what i'm talking about. ", she says, seeing the guilt in his eyes. Then she heads to another aisle and continues searching for books. 

"Oh come on, you can't really blame people. ", he says as he follows behind. "You barely talk, your face is always expressionless and you always keep the top spot like it's so easy for you. "

"I can't even figure out if it is a compliment or not.", she says flatly. 

"It's not a criticism. ", Gary says safely. 
"So.. why did you come to me? ", she asks. 

Gary pauses as if he did not expect that question to come out. 
But then he answers. 

"Because you're.. interesting. You sleep a lot and eat a lot. No one expected you to be like that. And despite your prim and proper image, you seem to not care about what everyone else has to say. "

Ji Hyo closes the book she is reading and looks up at him. She stares at him for a while, and she can spot the red tinge of blush in his cheeks as he looks away. 

Seeing that, she starts to get embarassed herself. She blinks twice just to compose herself. 

"Oppa.. ", she says. "I don't mean to be rude but.. that's not what i meant to ask. "

He looks at her, his brows arching. "Then what? "

"I was asking about why did you come to me, like right now. Do you have something to say in particular, or need any help? "

"Uuggh! ", he groans in embarassment. "Why do i have to say those? ", he whines, covering his face. 

She can not help but smile though. What Gary had said made her feel good. 

"Yah! Oppa! ", she calls when Gary suddenly walks away. 

She tries to chase him but he runs out of the library without looking back. 

Staring at his humble, retreating back, she tries to suppress her laugh. 

When she enters the cafeteria after, she spots the others already gathered in a table. 

Eun Hye is there, too, enjoying and laughing with the guys. 

She heads to the counter to get her food. 

She is still half way to punching her Student ID for her meal when Joong Ki spots her in the line. 

"Noona! ", Joong Ki yells over the noise of the cafeteria. 

She looks at his direction and sees him and the others look at her. 

Kwang Soo gestures her to go to them. 
She sets her tray on the table when she gets to them, and Dong Hoon immediately inches nearer to Kwang Soo to give her space. 

She sits next to him and can not help but smile when she looks at Gary sitting right across her. 

He is eating and trying to ignore her. 

But her teasing mood is just kicking in. 

"Oppa! ", she says with a mischievous smile. 

"Agh! Stop it Ji Hyo-ah! ", he says, embarassed. 

"Why? What happened? ", Seok Jin asks. 

"Gary oppa likes the fact that i sleep and eat a lot! ", she says brightly to the others. 

Jae Suk, who is sitting next to Gary, looks at him. "Yah, do you happen to like Ji Hyo? "

She laughs teasingly as Gary denies the accusation. 

Then her gaze reaches the other side of their table, where Jong Kook is eating silently across Eun Hye. 

She remembers what Eun Hye said on the weekend, that she still likes Jong Kook. 

She can not forget how Eun Hye smirked that night, as if she was someone else rather than the sweet Eun Hye they all knew. 

Since then, she got cautious around her, although they still hang out a lot of times. 

Eun Hye treats her as if that never happened, and  Ji Hyo is somehow relieved with that. She does not want to lose a friend. 

On that afternoon, she has piano lessons without Gary, making her wonder what happened. 

Did something happen? 

He did not take what i said earlier seriously, did he? 

She later finds out when she gets out of the music room after the session. 

"Ji Hyo-ah.. ", Gary calls when she is about to head out of the building. 

She turns to him and sees him come out from a corner of the hallway. 

"What are you doing there, oppa? ", she asks as he draws near her. 

"Uh..i just happened to pass by. I has something to do so i have not attended your lesson. ", he explains. 

But as she stares intently at him, she notices that he can not meet her gaze for long. 

Ji Hyo has been past that stage where she has to look away whenever she is lying, and she discovered long before that other people does that, too. 

She guesses that Gary seems to be still in the guilty phase of lying. 

She does not want to let him know that she busted him, though. 

If he does not want to tell her the reason, then she is gonna give him some space. 

"Are you going home now? ", she asks as they descend the steps of the school porch. 

"Ou. ", he answers. "Oh, right. " He pulls out something from his pocket and holds it out to her. 

She stares at it, confused, for he is handing her a white tube-shaped mp3 player with black earphones connected. 

"What is this? ", she asks, hesistantly receiving the thing she is given. 

"It's for you to listen whenever you're sad or stressed. They work effectively on me, so i hope you listen to it. "

She stares at him, trying to interpret what he is doing. But Gary is just smiling as usual, making her puzzled. 

"T-thank you.. ", she says hesitantly. 

"Listen to it well, okay? "

She nods and smiles at him. 

Then they hear a honk of a car, making them turn to its direction. 

It is her aunt's car, parked just a few meters away, the window rolled down to reveal her aunt's displeased face. 

"Oppa, i have to go! ", she says and hastily goes to the car. 

Her aunt rolls up the window the moment she gets in the car, concealing her from Gary's sight. 

But he keeps on waving his hand to her direction, making her unable to suppress her smile. 

But her aunt just turns even more displeased. 
She stares down at the white mp3 player in her hand, grateful for the thought that comes with receiving it. 

"Is that one of the boys that came to out house?", Aunt Ma Ri asks while they are on the road. 

"Mm. ", she answers, her eyes still on the gadget. 

"So you still hang out with those guys?"

"No, i don't.", she denies. 

"Or was that your boyfriend earlier? "

She jerks her gaze up to her aunt with a frown. "No, he isn't! ", she snaps, surprised at the sudden suspicion. 

"You better not have a boyfriend, Song Ji Hyo. I already told you before that they are up to no good. They just ruin ypur concentration to study and.. "

"I know. I know. ", she cuts off before the lecture can even stretch out longer. 

She has heard the same lecture a thousand times already that she can even recite it by every word. 

To avoid being scolded again, she places the earphone of the mp3 on her ears and plays the music. 

Instantly, loud music fills her ears. She has to admit Gary has a good taste in music. 

She leans back, her gaze focused out of the window. 

She has just become so focused on the wonderful melody in her ears when she spots someone's familiar back in the side of the road. 

She sits up and leans closer to the window to confirm her suspicion. 

She sees right. 

It really is Jong Kook walking at the side of the street. And the girl next to her is Eun Hye. 

She just stares at them through the tinted glass window as the car passes by them, who are too focused on their conversation to even look at the car that has just passed by them.