Childhood

Spartace: School Love Affair

Ji Hyo sits in one of the beds in the clinic as she stares at Gary, who volunteered on treating her wound. 

She's finding it awkward, though, for he is holding her hand so gently and tapping the alcohol stained cotton on her wound in a very light pressure. 

"You should've just left those broken glass for the janitor to clean up. ", he scolds in a gentle way. 

"I.. sort of acted in a rush. "

"The hands is the most delicate part of a pianist, you know. "

"I forgot. "

"Tss. I did not know you had this careless side. "

"I did not know, too. ", she answers calmly, making Gary look up at her. 

"I gotta admit, you're good at answering people back, though. "

"Thank you. ", she says, teasing him. 

"But Ji Hyo-ah..", he says, settling her hand down on her lap. "Do you have any idea why Jong Kook hyung did that to Eun Hye? "

"No. ", she says, her irritation to Jong Kook coming again because of the reminder. "I'm gonna kill that guy. ", she says. 

The dpor swings open, and Jong Kook steps inside. 

"Hyung. ", Gary greets as he looks at him. 

"Speaking of the devil. ", she mutters, goggling. 

"Is her hand okay? ", he asks, not meeting her eyes. 

"Yes. What are you doing here? ",she answers snobbishly. 

"Why? Am i banned in this clinic? ", he argues. 

"No. But i don't want to see you. ", she says and looks at Gart. "You, too, Oppa. You guys leave me alone. "

"What? Why am i included? ", Gary asks. 

"Just go. ", she orders them. 

"But Ji Hyo-ah.. ", Gary says in disappointment. 

"Go. ", she repeats. 

"Well.. i'll see you next time. You take care of your hand, okay? "

"Yes, Oppa. ", she says. 

With that, Gary leaves. She also gets to her feet, ignoring Jong Kook who is still in the room. 

She retrieves her bag and gets ready to go. 

"You wanna see Jong Han? ", he asks before she can get out. 

She stops in the doorway and looks at him over her shoulder. 

She almost says yes, but then she remembers that she is annoyed with him. 

"I'm not going to take that bait. ", she says and goes out. 

"She wants to see you! ", he yells after her as he catches up. 

"Yeah, but i don't want to see his brother. "

"But you were supposed to go yesterday. "

"Yeah until his brother shooed me away just so he can wait for a girl. "

There is a pause before he speaks again. 

"What do you mean? ", he asks cluelessly. 

"Nothing. ", she says sarcastically. 

"I just had something to say to Eun Hye. ", he admits. 

Her brows furrow as she looks at him. "Why would you explain that to me? "

"Because.."

"I don't even wanna know. "

"Yah, don't you think you're being too harsh? ", he asks. 

"I'm not."

"Why are you acting like this? ", he asks. 

She pauses to think of an answer. 

He's right. Why is she acting like this? 

Because he's unpredictable. He sent her away yesterday without telling her the reason, only to find out that he met Eun Hye, and then sent Eun Hye away this time. 

She hates not knowing and feeling stupid, and Jong Kook's unpredictability is making her feel that way. 

But no way she is saying that. 

She just hasten her steps even more, but his long strides just helps him catch up easily. 

"Let's go. ", he says, suddenly grabbing her wrist again and dragging her along. 

This time, he hasten his strides, making her half run just to be able to catch up and not fall to the ground. 

"Yah. ", she says in a warning tone as she glares at his back, but he doesn't stop. "Yah! Aren't you letting go? "

"No. "

"Let go of me! ", she orders while they are passing the school porch and heads out to the school gate. 

"Your aunt's gonna be back tomorrow, right? You won't have this kind of freedom again, so you have to see Jong Han. "

"But we still have classes. ", she states. 

He halts and faces her, making halt, too. 

"Have you ever cut class before? ", he asks. 

She shakes her head. A mischievous smile spreads across his face, making Ji Hyo unfamiliar with the sight. 

"Well, there's a first time for everything. ", he says and drags her to hiding as they furtively heads to the school gate. 

They come hiding behind a tree nearest to the school, peeking to the guard house. 

"Yah, what are you trying to do? ", she asks as she stares at his back. 

It is then that she gets to observe how tall he is. He is crouching to hide, but he is still taller than her. 

His white school uniform seems to hug his shoulders tight, showing how it is slowly forming into a manly shape. 

Then her gaze looks down, seeing his hand holding her wrist tightly. 

It is another unfamiliar sight for her. 

She has never had anyone so close before, even if it is just a normal physical contact. 

"The guard is not here. He's probably walking around the school to check any suspicious acts. ", he says. 

She looks up at him, and sees that he is looking at her looking down at his hands. 

"What? ", he asks. "I'm only holding it to make sure you won't run away. "

"I will if you won't tell me what we're doing. ", she says blankly. 

"We're cutting classes. ", he says and pulls her towards the gate.

Her eyes widens at the ridiculous idea. 

"Are you crazy?", she blurts out. 

"I always am. ", he says and yanks her up in his arms, making her yelp. 

"Yah!", she yells at him in irritation. 

"Sssh! ", he says and looks around cautiously. "Climb up, quick! "

"No way! "

"We're gonna get caught and be sent to the principal's office if we get caught! "

"No way! "

"Climb! ", he says urgently. 

She reluctantly reaches up as Jong Kook lifts her up. 

"I'm gonna kill you after this. ", she says as she steps her toes into the gap in the gate, and then crosses over when she reaches the top. 

Then she climbs down the other side. 

"Woah. You're a natural, Song Ji Hyo.", he says. 

"Hey! ", the guard, who is on his way to their direction, yells. 

"Quick! ", she yells at him urgently as he hastily climbs up, hauls his body over and jumps down in one quick movement that would have made her stare at him in amazement if they were not in an urgent situation. 

But he immediately grabs her hands and they run away as fast as they can. 

They can still hear the guard's yell as they ran, as if he has gotten out and chased them, but sooner, his voice becomes faint, as if he has just given up. 

But both of them continues to run, feeling the air against their faces. 

Ji Hyo has never felt this free before. She should have been tired of running by now, but she isn't. All she can feel is the nice sensation in her chest as it starts to tighten, catching for breath. 

It's a strange but exciting feeling. She thinks she has experienced something like it before, whenever she pours her heart out on the piano without really limiting herself in the music score, or whenever a lesson is making her a bit confused, which is so rare. But this is better, stronger, more emphasized that it makes her don't want to stop. 

The way they hurtle among the traffic of people coming to and fro along the street is also exciting for her. 

They stop when they reach the park, where they throw theirselves in the grassy ground, desperately catching for breath. 

She lay flat on her back, the sky right above her, beautiful and clear that feeds her mood even more. 

Jong Kook lay diagonal to her head, and she can hear his pant right next to her ear. 

They fall in a silence, then a few seconds later, when they are already catching their breath and what they just did dawns on them, they start laughing. 

She can see no humor with anything, but there is something beautiful with the scene that seems to tickle her heart and makes her create this unfamiliar sound from . 

She looks up at Jong Kook, whose laugh is also rare to hear. 

The feeling of freedom is addiciting that she forgets her irritation to Jong Kook. 

She sits up when their laughter subsides. 

She looks around the place. Children are running around, playing tags. Mothers and girls sits on benches, taking. Couples are huddled in pairs, smiling and talking sweetly. 

"The park is a happy place. ", she says. 

She sees Jong Kook sit up through her peripheral vision. 

"Have you never been in a park before? ", he asks. 

"I must have been in one, only i can't remember. "

"You speak of happiness as if it is far away. What do you have in your memory? "

"Books. Student ranking boards. Music scores. ", she enumerates. "The smell of my aunt's perfume, bringing memories of being slapped, of feeling dread and disappointments.. "

"You sure have quite a childhood, Song Ji Hyo. "

"I don't know.. did i even experience childhood? ", she asks, doubting. 

"Right. I doubt it. And there's only one thing i can do about that. ", he says and stands up. "Come on. "

She looks up at him as he heads somewhere. "Yah, where are you going? "

He gestures her to follow. So she gets to her feet and runs to his direction. 

He stops right in front of an ice cream truck, where children are holding out their money to buy first. 

Jong Kook, who is twice or thrice taller than those kids, simply leans forward to reach the vendor. 

"2 Chocolate flavor, please!", he orders. 

"Yah, ahjussi! Let us,children, buy first.. ", a little boy says to him. 

"Right.", Ji Hyo, who is behind him, agrees. "You're being childish. ", she says to him. 

Jong Kook just looks at her and then the kid. 

"Just let me do this one time, kid. I have one pityful child over here. ", he says, pointing Ji Hyo over his shoulder. 

"Yah. "

"She has never tasted ice cream before. ", she hears Jong Kook say to the child. 

"Really? ", the innocent little boy asks in surprise and looks at her. "That noona haven't tasted ice cream before? "

Jong Kook nods with a pout in his mouth. Ji Hyo wants to hit him in the head. 

"Yah! Let this ahjussi buy first! His girlfriend hasn't tasted ice cream before! "

"What? ", she and Jong Kook asks in unison at the sound of the strange word. 

But the children are too distracted making way for them to hear their confusion. 

They just head together near the vendor, who immediately gave them chocolate flavored ice cream. 

"Good job tricking the kids. ", the vendor says as he hands each one of them. 

Ji Hyo just receives the ice cream and walks away with Jong Kook. 

"Enjoy your ice cream, Noona. ", the kids yell after her, making her grimace in embarassment as Jong Kook chuckles. 

"Yah! ", she yells at him when they get into a safe distance. 

He is smiling widely, though she can not figure out if he is enjoying the effect of his lie or the sweetness of the ice cream. 

"I've eaten this thing before! I'm not as ignorant as you thought i am, you know! ", she yells. 

Jong Kook just nodded. "I know. I know. Justbeat your hard-earned ice cream. " He pushes her hand which is holding the ice cream closer to , leading it to be pressed against her lips. 

"YAH! ", she yells even louder. 

But he also laughs harder. 

"You, come here! ", she says angrily and approaches him but he runs away. 

"Just wait till i get you, you deceiving scoundrel! ", she yells after him. 

But he just keep laughing at her temper. 

..
..

Their chase ends when Ji Hyo's half eaten ice cream falls into the ground, making her whine over it. 

She bends over it and looks at it with regret. 

"Aaaaahhh, i did not even get to taste the cone. ", she whines. 

"Aawwee. Poor Ji Hyo-ah.. ", Jong Kook says as he bends over across him. 

"It's all your fault. ", she blames. 

"No, it isn't. ", he says and swallows the remaining cone he has. 

She glares at him and stands uo, walking away from him. 

"At least you get to play tag like a child. And eat ice cream. At least, half of it, anyway. ", he says, catching up on her. 

She just glares at him. 

"By the way.. is your hand alright? ", he asks, looking at her bandaged hand. 

"Yes. ", she says, hiding it in her pocket. 

"Psh. Careless. "

"I never had that nickname before. ", she says. 

"Because you never had a friend who trully knows you before. "

"Friend? ", she repeats. "Are you saying that you're my friend? "

He looks at her with arched brows. "Of course. Aren't we? "

"Well.. ", she just shrugs. 

She knows they are, but it is still strange hearing it directly from him. Especially when they argue almost everytime. 

"Song Ji Hyo.. ", he says while they are walking to the direction of his house. 

She is walking a few steps behind him, staring at his back but is completely inside her own thoughts. 

Calling her name makes her snap out of it. 

"Mm? ", she answers. 

"You.. ", he beginds with a doubtful tone. "I want you to stay away from Eun Hye. "

She stops, her temper slowly rising again. 

She just can't understand him. Why is he pushing her away from Eun Hye? Doesn't he like her hanging out with someone who is more importan for him? 

He stops and turns to her when she does not answer. 

"Did you hear me? ", he asks. 

"I won't. ", she says stubbornly. 

"What? ", he asks again, his brows furrowing. 

"I said i'm not staying away from Eun Hye. I don't care what you two have, i'm completely out of it. But she is the only girl i have as a friend. I'm not letting her go just because you told me to. "

He sighs, as if he has expected this. "But you don't understand. You just---!"

"I don't want to understand. Just let me be with Eonnie. "

"You'll be hurt in the end. "

"Why would i be? ", she asks, her brows furrowing. 

"Just.. ", he stops and sighs in frustration. 

She stares at him, knowing that he has something he wants to say but can't. 

"Did you perhaps get back with Eonnie? "

"What? No. ", he says. 

"Why won't you tell us? We're not against it. "

"It's not like that. ", he says. 

"Then what? "

"Just forget it. ", he says and turns his back on her, resuming to walk. 

"This weird guy. ", she mutters and follows him. 

When they reach Ji Hyo's house, both of the contentment that is caused by their recent rebellion has drained out at once at the sight of the black car parked in front of the house. 

Ji Hyo feels like she has awaken from a dream. And she gets ready to face reality, even if she doesn't want to. 

She turns to Jong Kook, whose face has gone even serious, too, and anxious. But she shows no hint of anxiety, or dislike. 

"I have to go. ", she says flatly to him, and turns around before her irritation of getting back to being grounded again shows on her face. 

And she enters the gate of their house without looking back at Jong Kook, whose shadow is still visible in the gate of their house as she goes inside.