Scars and Bruises

Spartace: School Love Affair

Ji Hyo has just entered the school early in the morning with a happy heart.

For the first time in a while, her aunt did not come to their house to drive her to school, and she loves the feeling of freedom.

"Your walk is too bouncy for someone who has been slapped three times yesterday. ", someone suddenly says next to her, making her flinch.

It is Jong kook, walking right next to her.

"Yah! How can you sneak up on a person like that?! "

"I did not sneak up on you. And why are you yelling at me? ", he asks.

"I am not! ", she denies.

"Yes, you are! "

"I told you, i'm not! "

"Ye---"

"Yah. Why are you two shouting so early in the morning? ", Jae Suk says as he joins them.

"Oppa. ", Ji Hyo greets.

"She's yelling at me. ", Jong Kook tells Jae Suk.

"I told you, i'm not! "

Jong Kook points at her as he looks at Jae Suk. "Hear that? She's yelling at me! "

"No----! "

"That's enough, both of you. ", Jae Suk says.

Jong Kook gives her a piercing look, and she simply rolls her eyes uncaringly as Jae Suk goes ahead of them.

Then she spots another bruise just under his left eye.

"Did you get hit again? ", Ji Hyo asks.

He turns away to conceal his bruise. "No, i did not. "

"Yah, Kim Jong Kook. Where have you been getting all those bruises? ", she asks.

"Nowhere. ", he says and walks fast.

But she tries to catch up. "Is someone bullying you? ", she asks as she tries to take a look at his face. "Can somebody even bully you? ", she adds as he turns away from her.

"Stop it. ", he says as he keeps turning his face away from her direction, but she keeps following him. "Yah! "

"It looks bad. ", she says.

"You look bad! "

She stops, unable to believe what she had just heard.

"No one has ever told me that. ", she says.

"Glad to be the first. ", he says as he looks at her through the corner of his eyes.

"Your vision must have been affected when you got hit in that eye. ", she says.

"No, it did not. It's crystal clear. ", he insists.

"Then maybe you just have a bad taste for girls. ", she concludes and walks ahead of him.

"What did you say? ", he asks after her, but she does not stop to answer. "Yah! "

She pretends like she did not hear anything.

"That girl, seriously. ", she can hear him mutters to himself.

"Noona. ", Joong kI calls as he catches up to her.

"Yes? "

"What did you do to Jong Kook hyung? He looks annoyed. ", he asks, glancing back at his hyung.

"Nothing. ", she says, his brows furrowing.

Kwang Soo is walking next to Joong Ki, being unusually silent.

"Yah.. ", she calls. "So you're still upset? "

He pretends not to hear anything and just continues to look straight ahead.

Joong Ki gives her a questioning look, as if asking what is wrong with Kwang Soo.

She just smiles and moves toward Kwang Soo, clinging her arms into his elbow.

"Yah. Noona is sorry. ", she says, keeping her temper in.

He keeps walking.

She shakes his elbow. "Kwang Soo-yaaaaahhhh... ", she singsongs, her twmper slowly rising to danger point.

But Kwang Soo remains unmoved.

"I SAID I'M SORRY! ", she yells out of annoyance, making Kwang Soo, Joong Ki and some students who are passing by to jump in surprise, and the rest looks to their direction.

She composes herself as the other two stares at her fearfully.

"Noona. ", Joong Ki says, his voice still wavering.

She glares at Kwang Soo and marches toward their classroom.

By the end of their classes, Ji Hyo walks home, happy that her aunt did not come to pick her up.

She is passing by the park when she caught sight of Jong Kook.

"Kim Jong Kook! ", she calls.

But he is walking too fast to hear her.

She follows him with her gaze and sees that he is hastily heading to an older guy walking hand in hand with a child.

From her place, she can still see the guy's mischievous gaze as he watches Jong Kook take the child from him and carry her in his arms.

Her brows furrowed at the sight.

Jong Kook looks annoyed but afraid as he holds the child close in his chest.

"What is that? ", she wonders.

Then she realizes something.

That she has gotten nosy of other people's business lately.

She looks away and tries not to care about it.

She continues to walk home.

On the next day, she meets the others at lunch time again.

"Where's Seok Jin Hyung? ", Kwang Soo asks while they eat.

"Why do you ask that kind of question? It's obvious that he's with her girlfriend. ", Jae Suk answers.

"Ahh, right. I still had not wrapped around my head the fact that Hyung succeeded to find himself a girlfriend."

"You should be thankful. In that case, there's still hope for you, too. ", Dong Hoon jokes.

"What is that supposed to mean? ", Kwang Soo asks.

"It means there is still a possibility that a girl will be really unfortunate and fall into your charms.", Ji Hyo explains meanly. "Though i doubt if you have even have any charms."

"Noona!"

"What?", she asks, daring him to disagree as the others laugh.

"What about Jong Kook hyung?", Gary interupts before Ji Hyo and Kwang Soo can argue even more. "Have you guys seen him?"

"No.", Joong Ki answers.

"There.", Jae Suk points.

They follow his gaze. Jong Kook has just gotten his food from the counter. He looks so dark, though. His lips are in a straight line, and his brows are in a furrow that seems to be getting permanent.

"Over here, hyung!", Gary calls.

For a moment, Ji Hyo can see that he is planning not to join them. But he must have changed his mind, for he heads over to them.

As he sits down next to Gary and starts eating his food, Ji Hyo sees a fresh wound. This time, it is in his knuckles.

She looks up at his eyes and catches his gaze. He immediately hides his injured hand under the table as he realizes that she saw it.

Her mind is going crazy now as she thinks of the possibilities.

Is he in a gang or something?

Or maybe he is bullied by thugs?

Or maybe that child yesterday is his child?Maybe he became a dad earlt?

Whatever it is, she is itching to find out.

And she know she can not ignore it now. Her interest is totally piqued, and there is no way she is gonna stay still until she satisfies it.