The Suspect

Spartace: School Love Affair

Jong Kook just stares down at Ji Hyo, who is desperately crying in Eun Hye's shoulder. 

The others are just as dumbstruck as him. They'd known Ji Hyo as someone tearless and uncaring, so seeing her cry is such a strange sight. 

And something is making Jong Kook even more irritated. He still has to confirm his suspicion later. 

For now, he runs back down to the hallways and the others follow. 

He tears off every poster about Ji Hyo off the wall, and the others starts to do it, too. 

But Kwang Soo comes and catches up with him as he runs. 

"Hyung. ", he calls. "Why don't you just tell the truth and end the rumors?"

"What rumor? "

"That you and Noona are dating! "

"YAH!", he yells at him while they're running, making Kwang Soo swerve away from him. "We're not dating! "

"But you two seem to be hiding something. ", he insists. 

"No. We're not! Now shut up and just get rid of all these annoying posters! ", he says as they stop and tear of some posters. 

"Who in the world can do this to Ji Hyo Noona? ", he asks as if he can not believe it. 

Someone who is closer to her than you think. , he wants to say. 

When he gets back to the rooftop, Ji Hyo has calm down a little. 

She has now silenced, but her tears are still falling down her face, and Eun Hye is sitting next to her, soothing her back. 

"You can go to your class now. ", he says to Eun Hye, who looks up at him with a questioning look. 

"I can skip class to accom--! "

"You don't have to. ", he says, cutting her off. 

Eun Hye seems to be surprised at his annoyed tone, making her hug Ji Hyo ine last time and walks back inside. 

Jong Kook stares down at Ji Hyo, who is now staring blankly at nothing, her face still wet with tears. 

He wants to hit her in the head for being so gullible, but he decided to save it for next time. 

He squats in front of her and takes out the handkerchief that Ji Hyo has offered to him back when he has spilled choco frappe on his pants. 

Fortunately, he is able to bring it today. 

He wipes her tear-stained face with it. 
The gesture seems to snap her back ti reality, for her eyes widen and her blank pupils come into focus at his face. 

"I did not know you were a cry baby. ", he says as he continues wiping her face. 

"I'm not!", she says, her brows furrowing. 

He runs his finger in the crease in her forehead, as if forcing to smoothen it out. 

She glares at him, which seems to be uneffective when her face looks so weak from crying. 

"That was all the tears i saved up for months, you know! ", she says defensively. 

"Fine. Fine. ", he says in surrender. 

"Now get uo and stop being a loser. ", he says, standing up and offering a hand. 

She just stares at it for a while. 

"You take it, in case you don't know. ", he says. 

She glares at him but still take his hand, then he pulls her up. 

"Now get to class and ignore anyone who says anything bad. "

"I know. "

"Ji Hyo-ah.. ", Gary, who has just arrived in the rooftop, calls. 

They both turn to his direction. 

"I'm sorry. ", he says. 

Jong Koom gets intrivued as he is reminded with the photos though. 

One picture is with Joong Ki. It seems to be taken when they are in the amusement and enjoying the rides together. 

Another one is with Dong Hoon, and is just obviously taken during one of the break times where Ji Hyo and Dong Hoon happens to sit next to each other. 

In another picture, Ji Hyo can be seen casually holding on to Kwang Soo's arm, which seems to have become a habitbof Ji Hyo, for he has seen her do it a lotbof times before. 

And the last picture is the only one Jong Kook can not explain or figure out when and where it was taken. 

Ji Hyo and Gary are smiling to each other while they hold something like an mp3 in their hands, as if Gary is giving it to her. 

The smile in Ji Hyo's eyes in the picture looks so genuine. 

Whatever happened, he is sure someone has been tailing jI Hyo just to plant rumors on her and make her look bad. 

And he has just the slightest idea who it is. 

Still, he is hoping he is wrong. He desperately hopes he is wrong. 

"It's okay, oppa. ", Ji Hyo says to Gary. 

"Are you okay now? "

She nods simultaneously as if to assure Gary. 

"That's good to know. "

They separated ways as they go to each of their classes. 

On dismissal time, Jong Kook immediately goes to a hallway where he is sure his suspect will pass. 

He leans against a wall and pockets his hands as he waits. 

He ignores a few girls who stares at him as they pass. 

"Hyung! ", Ji Hyo calls as she passes by the hallway he is in. 

"Ou, Ji Hyo-ah..are you going home already? ", he asks. 

"I want to see Jong Han. "

He pauses to decide. Surely, his sister will be very happy to see her, but he still can not leave his post. 

He has to do this today, before it can get worse. 

"I can't go home yet. Just see her tomorrow. "

"Why? Are you seeing someone today? "

"Ou. "

"Really? Who? "

"Just.. someone. "

"Can't i wait with you? ", she asks annoyingly. 

"No. ", he says firmly. 

"But---! "

"Just go, Ji Hyo-ah. ", he orders, making Ji Hyo stare at him for the sudden change of his tone. 

"Fine. ", she says, stares at him for a while before turning around. 

"Grumpy old man. ", he hears her whine. 

"I heard that! ", he says as she walks away. 

She glances at him in surprise and then continue walking. 

"Tss. Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy! ", she yells instead as she gets away. 

He glares at her disappearing back. "That annoying girl. ", he says. 

He looks back in the hallway and sees Eun Hye coming to his direction. 

"Oppa! ", she greets as she smiles. "Are you here to wait for me? "

"Ou. ", Jong kook answers seriously. 

Eun Hye smiles widen. "Really?", she asks cheerfully. 

"I want to talk about the what happened to Ji Hyo. ", he says as she starts walking. 

He sees a pause in her walk before she walks straight again. 

Looking at her back, he can see the way it slump in discomfort. Something that only someone who is close to her can notice;  the way her body moves within a tiny sense of discomfort. 

"Ahh. Too bad, isn't it? ", she asks without looking at him. 

"Yeah. Who can do such thing? ", he asks cautiously. 

"Right. ", she simply answers. 

But within that single word, he confirms hus suspicion. The tiny bit of tremble in her voice is enough for him to believe his suspicion. 

So he blocks her way and stares at her straight in the eyes, where enthusiasm and empathy is trying to conceal the guilt hidden in those eyes.

But there is no way he can be fooled by it. He had stared and been captured by those eyes before, and he was able to guess the emotions he had seen in them, far better than he can with his. 

"You.. 

Why did you do it? "