Freedom and Frenemies

Spartace: School Love Affair

Ji Hyo is bouncing up and down on her way to school. 

Her aunt did not get to drive her to school nor will she fetch her from school later for she has a business to attend overseas. 

"Ji Hyo-ah! ", a female voice calls when she is about to enter the school gate. 

She stops and turns to see who it is. 

It is Eun Hye, heading towards her direction, still looking dashing even in her school uniform. 

"Hello, Eonnie! ", she greets. 

Eun Hye curls her arms into hers, just as she usually does whenever they are together. Ji Hyo likes it, anyway. It makes her feel that she is close with Eun Hye. 

"You seem so bright today. ", Eun Hye says. 

"Yeah. I got about three days of freedom for now. ", she says as they walk together towards the school. 

"Really? Your aunt went somewhere?"

"Mm. She went overseas. "

"Then we can enjoy the three days without thinking of restrictions? ", Eun Hye asks brightly. 

Ji Hyo nods. 

When they arrive in the school building, Ji Hyo spots Jong Kook ahead, heading somewhere. 

He reminds her of Jong Han, and her mood even goes better. 

She plans on going to Jong Han later. 

For now, she heads to the direction of her classroom. 

"Good morning, Noona! ", Joong Ki greets when she arrives in their classroom. 

"Ou. Hello. What happened to that guy? ", she asks, referring to Kwang Soo whose face is slumped on his desk. 

Joong Ki simply glances at him and says, "He got busted."

Ji Hyo's eyes widens. "Really? "

"Don't feel sorry. It happens quite a lot. ", Joong Ki says. "He easily falls for any girl he finds attractive. "

"Ahh. ", she says, nodding. 

By lunch, she joins the others as usual. 
Eun Hye is sittung next to Jong Kook tgis time, reminding her of the afternoon that she saw them together. 
They must have been doing good lately, she thinks. 

She just focuses on eating her food. 

But Jong Kook suddenly starts eating the beans from her veggies, making her look at him. 

He archs his brows as he asks, "What? You hate beans, right? "

She did not expect that he remembers that. She just nods and let him eat it. 

She catches sight of Eun Hye, and sees that her brows are somehow in a straight line, which is a strange sight from her cheerful face. 

On dismissal time, she is about to search for Jong Kook when Eun Hye sees and joins her. 

"Ji Hyo-ah, are you going home now? ", she asks. 

Ji Hyo hesitates. Should she tell Eun Hye that she is going to Jong Kook? 

Well, why would she not, right? It's not like they have an affair or something. 

"I'm looking for Jong Kook hyung, Eonnie. ", she says, creating an unreadable look at Eun Hye's face. 

"He's in the Tae Kwon Do room. ", she says. 

"Oh. Thank you! I have to go, Eonnie! See you around! "

"Ji Hyo-ah----! "

Ji Hyo runs before Eun Hye can finish what she is saying. 

She passes through students and dodge some who are surprised to see her running in the hallway. 

When she arrivesnin front of the Tae Kwon Do club's training room, she halts in front of the door. 

For it is so eerily quiet and some srudents who are passing by seems to feel the tension and cuts off rheir conveesation, too, whenever they are talking. 

Ji Hyo peeks at the tgresgold and sees the source of tension. 

None other than Kim Jong Kook himself, standing tall and proud in front of about fifteen members who are at attention. 

They are all wearing those white tae kwon do pajamas, and looking at Kim Jong Kook, whose posture is a new sight for Ji Hyo. 

She is so used to seeing him looking affectionately at his sister that she almost forgot that he is also the fierce and strict president of the tae kwon do team. 

He tells something to them in a loud voice, and then he dismissed the form. 

Only then does she steps under the doorway. 

"Hyung! ", she calls. 

All eyes in the room falls in her, making her freeze. 

She looks at Jong Kook, who calmly heads to her direction after drinking from his water bottle. 

"What are you doing here? ", he asks as he comes in front of her. 

Her smile spreads across her face with the good news. "I want to see Jong Han. "

"What? But she'll--! "

"Hyung! ",she cuts him off before he can say no. 

When she looks over his shoulders, she sees that all the other members are standing and looking at them as if they are watching a very interesting drama. 

She looks at Jong Kook, now with an uncomfortable expression in her face. 

He must have got tge reasonable n for her discomfort, for he immediately looks over his shoulder with a Pierre ng glare. 

A single look from him and everyone in the room goes back to what they were doing. 

He faces her, his piercing glare turning calm. 

But she is just staring at her, amazed by how he can set command in a room with just a piercing look, and then change into the soft-hearted guy she used to know in an instant. 

"Ji Hyo-ah.. you don't know how i suffered for days comforting Jong Han not to worry about you for she babbles and chatters about you. It's so hard! ", he says with a whining tone. 

"Eehy! I miss her!"

"Well, she doesn't.", he says. 

"Yes, she does! ", she insists. "I know she does! Now come on! ", she urged, grabbing Jong Kook's arm and pulling him out. 

"Yah! Yah! ", he says as he resists her pull. 

"What? ", she asks. 

"I can't go out wearing this. ", he says, looking at his Tae Kwon Do uniform. 

She lets go of his arm and looks at him fully. "Ahh. Right. You can't go out wearing your pajamas. "

"What? ", he asks, his brows furrowing at what he had heard. "Pajamas? "

"Mm. Now go and change out of those pajamas. "

"Yah! This is not a pajama, this is---! "

"Okay. Okay. ", she cuts him off as she makes him turn around and push him to the direction of their locker rooms. "Change your pajamas! ", she teases when he is halfway to the locker rooms. 

He looks at her over his shoulder and gives her a piercing glare, but she just chuckled at his short temper. 

As Jong Kook disappears in the locker room, the others in the room starts staring at her and talking low to the others. 

She hides on the wall next to the door just to avoid seeing their glares. 

Later, Jong Kook comes out of the room wearing normal clothes. 

"Come on. ", he says as he passes by her. 

She catches up and just walks beside him. 

"Don't mind what those guys are talking about. ", he says in their silence. 

"What did they talk about? ", she asks, looking up curiously. 

He glances at her, sees her questioning expression, and looks straight ahead with discomfort in his eyes. 

"Nothing. ", he lies. 

"Yah! Tell me. "

"I told you, it's nothing. "

"Then why did you tell me not to mind it in the first place?! "

"I thought you heard it. "

"Hyu~~ng! Tell me! "

He glares down at her again. "Don't you think it's time to stop calling me that? "

"What? ", she asks cluelessly. 

"You keep calling me hyung! "

Her eyes widen with cluelessness. "Did i? ", she asks, recalling what she has just said. 

"Tss. I never thought you were this dumb. ".

"I'm not dumb! "

They walk along the hallways of the school and out, ignoring the stares of the students. 

As they came in the road out of the school, Ji Hyo remembers whatbshe saw the other day. 

"It seems like you are doing good with Eun Hye eonnie lately. ", she says. 

"Mm? ", he answers, looking at her with a questioning look. 

"Do you still like her, hyung? "

"Tss. ", he says. "That was years ago. "

With his answer, she is able to find the real one. She nods knowingly. "Ahh. So you still do. "

He jerks his head facing her direction upon hearing it. "I did not say that! "

"But you are. ", she insists. 

"Yah, Song Ji Hyo! "

"You could have said, no, i don't like her anymore. But you said another thing, like you can't say yes or no because you can't end it like that, nor inspire any feelings. "

"Don't you know you're overthinking?", he asks. 

"Don't you know you're in denial? "

He scoffs without humor. "She's really good in arguing. ", he says to particularly nobody. 

"It's okay. People tends to love their first love until they get old. "

"And now she's advicing me about love, as if she knows anything about it. ", he continues to talk to his self. 

She suddenly pulls her towards a convenient store that they are about to pass. 

They bought lots of food before heading to a direction that seems foreign to Ji Hyo. 

"Jong Han's not in her school anymore?", she asks. 

"Ou. "

"Then where is she? "

"I let her stay in my aunt for a while. "

They arrive in front of a house better than the one Jong Kook and Jong Han is staying. 

"Aunt Hae Ri. Jong Han-ah. ", he calls as he getsbin the porch and opens the door. 

"Oppaaaa! ", she hears Jong Han's voice from the pathwalk oloutside the house where she waits. 

Jong Han appears and hugs his leg as soon as the door opens. 

"Oh, Jong Kook-ah.. come inside. ", she hears a woman's voice say. 

"Later, Auntie. ", he says and looks down at Jong Han. "Jong Han-ah.. look who's here. ", he says and looks at Ji hyo.

Jong Han follows his gaze and her eyes brightens at the sight of Ji Hyo. 

"EONNIE! ", she yells as she runs to her direction. 

They hug each other and Ji Hyo holds her at arm's length. "Did you miss me?"

The child pouts and nods. "Mm. Oppa said you're not coming back anymore."

She piercingly looks at Jong Kook upon hearing this, and he simply looks away guiltily. 

She looks at Jong Han again. "Of course i'm coming back. I just got busy of school, so don't worry next time, okay? "

Jong Han smiles and nods. 

They settle in the porch and starts to eat the snack that Ji Hyo bought. 

"Eonnie. Does Jong Kook oppa have a girlfriend? ", Jong Han asks while biting at her jelly stick. 

"Yes. ", she answers, making Jong Kook choke on his waffle. 

"Really? Is she beautiful? ", Jong Han asks. 

"Yes. She's ve~ry beautiful! ",she says despite of Jong Kook's warning look. She just ignores him who is sitting on the other side of Jong Han. 

"As beautiful as you? ",the child asks. 

She hesitates on answering in that, making Jong Kook beat her up to it. 

"Yes. More beautiful than Ji Hyo Eonnie. ", he says to piss her off. 

"What? ", she asks with a frown, but Jong Kook simply sticks out his tongue at her. She scoffs at his childish behavior and just bites at her hotdog. 

"Too bad. ", Jong Han says. 

"Why, Jong Han-ah? "

"I want Ji Hyo eonnie to be your girlfriend."

They fall in an awkward silence as Ji Hyo and Jong Kook glances at each other and then look away. 

"Jong Han-ah, try this one. It's really yummy. ", Ji Hyo says, passing Jong Han a big lollipop to change the subject. 

"I'm gonna go get your water. ", Jong kook says and goes inside the house. 

"It's yummy, right? ", she asks Jong Han, who cluelessly takes the bait of the older ones. 

"Noona? ", a male voice suddenly calls. 

She looks at the owner of the voice and sees Kwang Soo, standing right in front of the pathwalk.

Her eyes widen at the sight of him. "Kwang Soo-ah.. ", she says in surprise. 

"Here you go, Jong Ha---! ", Jong Kook comes out of the house with a glass and pitcher of water in both hands. 

He freezes at the sight of Kwang Soo. 

.

.

.

Kwang Soo blinks, as if he is trying to get his focus, but his mouth is still hanging open as he stares at the two of them together with Jong Han. 

"I.. I think i have to go. ", Kwang Soo says blankly and walks away as if in a trance.. 

..leaving Jong Kook and Ji Hyo in an even awkward atmosphere.