041

Picking up the pieces

When Jaeha came home from uni that day, she was both physically and mentally exhausted. Final exams were just around the corner and her teachers had spent the day talking about it when she just wanted to forget what was coming for her. She was still not really over her break up with Yugyeom and was having serious mood swings basically all the time. So the stress of the exams plus her current mood made her even more susceptible. At the moment, all she could think about was taking a nice and long warm bath and just lay in bed for the whole evening.

 

However the moment she heard what her dad and Youngjae were taking about, she had to stop and listen for a while and curiosity took over. She listened from one ear and went to the fridge to grab a can of coke and slowly but surely made her way to the living room where the couple was having a seemingly heated conversation.

 

We are not calling our baby Daeho,” Jaebum said. “No way.”

Why not?” Youngjae sighed.

Because I don’t like this name. I’m Jaebum, you’re Youngjae, she’s Jaeha,” he pointed at his daughter. “We’re all ‘Jae’, our baby shall be one too.”

Don’t be like this...”

Is it a boy?” Jaeha asked.

 

Both men froze for a brief second and Youngjae shook his head.

 

We don’t know, we’re just trying to figure out names for both genders.”

 

From the look he shared with Jaebum, which Jaeha obviously saw, she could tell something was up. But she didn’t insist.

 

Why not Jaeho?” she sat down next to Youngjae on the sofa, slowly sipping on her coke.

No, it’s too similar to your name, I don’t want that.”

And what do you want exactly?” the pregnant man asked.

I want a ‘Jae’, source of wealth and fortune. I want my kids to have a prosperous life you see?”

I don’t see how a name is truly going to affect one’s life though...”

I agree on that,” Youngjae backed Jaeha up.

Don’t say that!”

I mean I know a guy whose name mean “humble” yet is he very selfish in my opinion,” Jaeha couldn’t help but say very bitterly, thinking about the guy who was once her boyfriend.

And why not Minjae?” Youngjae suggested suddenly to change subject.

No way,” Jaebum shook his head. “Just go in a crowded place and scream ‘Minjae’, believe me you’ll have at least five guys answering you.”

 

Youngjae rolled his eyes and this time Jaeha could understand him.

 

How did you and appa come up with my name?” she inquired.

We chose Jaeha because it was cute, and well you know what ‘Jae’ stands for and ‘Ha’ stands for toad, which really suits you.”

 

It was meant to be a joke but she didn’t get it and sent him her most annoyed look ever.

 

I’m joking Jae,” he scoffed. “At first we wanted to call you Jaehan, ‘han’ from rare, but your father thought Jaeha was prettier and was more fitted for a girl.”

Then let’s call the baby Jaehan if you like it,” Youngjae simply stated.

 

Jaebum scrunched his nose and shook his head once again. Jaeha was sure he was going to end up with a migraine by the time this conversation would end.

 

Why not?”

I don’t want to consider the names we had chosen with Jinyoung, it’s weird.”

He is not wrong,” Jaeha acknowledged. “You should choose a name together.”

That is what we’ve been trying to do but your dad is one stubborn man.”

Tell me something I don’t know,” she chuckled and emptied her coke.

And if it’s a girl?”

I don’t want a sister...”

 

The couple immediately turned their heads in her direction and looked at her with the same expression of astonishment. They were probably surprised to see her referring to the baby as a sibling.

 

And why is that?” Jaebum was the first one to dare to ask, his lips curling into a slight smile despite the situation.

I don’t know, I just don’t want a sister. I think I’ll like a brother better.”

Yeah, because a brother won’t steal your stuff, right?” Youngjae playfully elbowed her in the side.

I wouldn’t let a sister steal my stuff anyway” she assured.

Then do you have a name in mind?” Jaebum jumped on the occasion.

 

She thought about it for a while. There were a few names she liked but she had never thought about naming a kid before, it was a weird experience.

 

Well I like Jaeho. Because I’m Jaeha, so the two names fits great together.”

I’ve already said no,” her stubborn dad answered and carried on pacing back and forth in the living room.

 

Together they went through a bunch of names, from a lot of nationalities. The main issue remained Jaebum who kept disagreeing with his boyfriend and daughter’s choices. At some point he even had to take a break and rushed to his bedroom, living a very blasé Jaeha behind him.

 

Why the fuss? I know a name is important, but we’re not offering swears or anything like that. Our names are cute.”

It’s a lot of pressure actually, to make sure you’ve chosen the right name for your child,” Youngjae calmly explained her.

You don’t seem as bothered as dad though...”

I am, I am just not showing it as much as him. He already knows which names I like and dislike, we’ve been talking about it for a few weeks now. But our baby is growing bigger and bigger and in a few months he should be with us, and we still don’t have a name. it’s getting stressful.”

Is it a boy?” she asked once again, having caught up his little mishap.

W-What?” he blushed and waved it off. “No it’s not, we don’t know. We want to keep it a surprise.”

Yeah, of course, a surprise...” she tsked. His answer had not managed to convince her in the slightest. “I hate surprises, you know that, right?”

 

He suddenly stood up and stretched his arms above his head and then his back.

 

I’m hungry, we should order something. I’m craving fried chicken.”

Let’s call the baby fried chicken then,” she joked.

Well I wanted to call the baby Cherry, but apparently it’s not a… a good name.”

Well it’s not a boy’s name, I agree with dad,” she scoffed. There was no need to hide it anymore, she was convinced she was having a brother. And she was not bothered by that at

all. In fact, just the thought of it managed to make her forget about the ty day she had had. Instead of thinking about the exams, she was temporarily busy browsing names in her head.

 

Why not Jaejoong then?”

No we’re not calling our baby like your favorite singer,” her dad suddenly came out of the room.

Well it has ‘Jae’ and it’s a nice name.”

It’s a no, Jaeha,” he said strictly and she pouted angrily.

 

As Youngjae went into the kitchen to order their food, she remained alone with her dad in the living room. She crossed her arms over her chest and cleared .

 

You should let me choose a name. Girls are better when it comes to naming things.”

First of all it’s not a thing, it’s a baby,” he very gently flicked her forehead. “And I do not trust your girly naming capabilities.”

That’s mean.”

Remember how you named your first goldfish?”

Of course I remember Loo, he was so cute.”

Exactly, you named your goldfish ‘toilets’.”

Back then I didn’t know what it meant and you and appa let me call him like this. It’s your fault.”

From that moment I promised myself I would never let you name anyone or anything on your own. I’m still sticking to that rule.”

But Jaejoong-”

No.”

As a sister I believe I should take part of the naming process.”

You’re totally right. We’re listening to your options, but that doesn’t mean we agree with you and that we’re going to let you name our baby the way you want.”

Well let me tell you once again as a sister I truly believe-”

 

She was suddenly cut by Youngjae rushing to their side, with the brightest smile ever on his face. He wrapped his arm around Jaeha’s waist and looked at his lover with so much glee, like he just had a sudden revelation.

 

I know the name. The right name for our boy,” he said.

 

Well, one thing was sure now. She was having a baby brother.

 

 


She's having a brother~~ 

Hi guys! How are you doing? I'm very sorry for the long wait, but work kept me busy and exhausted. Honnestly I didn't feel like writing when coming back home. But now my inspiration is back, I've got more spare time so expect another chapter soon :D

Don't forget to tell me what you think of this chapter, only fourremain before the end of this story. I'm very thankful to all of you who has subscribed and upvoted, I hope you'll enjoy this chapter.

Until the next time, take care of you!

xx

Mae