039

Picking up the pieces

Jaeha had almost forgotten about Yugyeom at some point. Her family and best-friend had done a very good job at keeping her busy when she wasn’t on her side with classes for example. So when he suddenly showed up at the apartment on Monday evening, Jaeha was really stunned.

 

He was soaking wet since it had been raining for a few hours in Seoul, he was shivering and had a runny nose. He truly looked pitiful and all Jaeha wanted to do when seeing him was wrap him in a huge towel and lend him her dad’s clothes.

 

But seeing him actually reminded her he was her still boyfriend who had completely ignored her for days, almost weeks now, and she got really mad real fast and wished for him to be sick.

 

What are you doing here?” she asked him. She didn’t even ask him to come further inside, she let him stay still in the entrance.

I… I want to talk to you.”

 

Jaebum and Youngjae were in the living room and threw each other a glance. Youngjae mouthed “kitchen” and Jaebum nodded. As silently as possible they stood up and went in the other room to hide and let Jaeha and Yugyeom alone.

 

Go ahead, talk.”

 

*

 

Let’s do it,” Jaebum sighed and folded his arms over his chest, glaring at Jinyoung. “Tell me.”

Jaebum I’m… I’m sorry but we can’t carry on like this… I’m sick and tired of living the way we do, it’s not right for us and it’s not right for our daughter. She doesn’t deserve to live a life like this...”

Whose fault it is?”

Mine. It’s my fault, I take full responsibility for that, Jaebum.”

 

Jaebum furiously nodded. He was burning with rage and anger, he was so mad at his husband at the moment – but then again he had been for the past year. There was no point in pretending they were a happy couple, they were not. There were not even a couple anymore since Jinyoung was basically living abroad now for his job while Jaebum and Jaeha were in Seoul.

 

*

 

I’m sorry Jae but… I needed time for myself, time to think about me, about my life and… about us eventually...”

 

Yugyeom couldn’t even look at her while talking, he kept looking around but never straight at her. But she was, Jaeha was barely even blinking as she stared at him with anger.

 

I… well… we’ll be done with our first three years of university in barely two months and next year I’ll be going to the States to study. I received the acceptance letter two weeks ago and I’ll be spending the whole year in Washington DC… we… I know you won’t be following me since you haven’t applied to the program to study abroad… we won’t be able to spend time together and it scares me because… because I’m scared you’re going to find someone more interesting and you’re going to dump me through text message… I can’t have that happen after three years of relation… that’s not possible.”

Are you kidding me Kim Yugyeom? Don’t you dare lie to me! You are scared you’re going to find someone more interesting in America!”

That’s not it Jaeha...”

 

*

 

We should… we...”

Say it, Jinyoung,” Jaebum encouraged him to speak out. “Just say it.”

We should divorce...”

Yes,” he said back bluntly. “We should. But not only we should, but we are going to divorce. I don’t want to live this life anymore, I don’t want this for my daughter either.”

 

Jinyoung nodded and looked down at his feet. He had known this moment would come eventually but now that it was happening he didn’t feel like he was ready.

 

Jae and I are going to move away from here, you’ll do whatever you want with the house. And I’ll take full custody of her, since I don’t want her to go to the States with you and live with a nanny since you’re never home anyway.”

I… I believe that is the right thing to do...”

We both know it is.”

 

*

 

You’re not breaking up with me Kim Yugyeom. I am breaking up with you. I hope you’ll have fun in the USA. Goodbye.”

 

Jaeha went to close the door but he stopped her.

 

Wait, I don’t want us to be over like this. I don’t want us to end our three years of relationship in bad terms. I want us to stay friends.”

Yeah, friends, of course,” she rolled her eyes. “I’ll have fun listening to you telling me how much fun you’re having, how great your new friends are and how many girls you’ve slept with. Sure.”

Jae you know what I mean… You’re still a friend no matter what and you’re still my first love, that won’t ever change.”

 

*

 

I don’t want our divorce to be mediatized, I don’t want paparazzi at my door or anything. I want it to be private, for Jaeha’s well-being.”

I agree with that, don’t worry. I won’t involve her.”

I’ll have my lawyer send you the papers, until then don’t contact me, unless it’s Jaeha related.”

Jaebum… listen,” Jinyoung sighed. “I want us to stay in good terms, for our daughter. She’s going to be deeply hurt and affected by this divorce, I don’t want her to hurt even more because we’re mad at each other.”

Everything for my daughter.”

 

*

 

I don’t want to talk to you right now,” Jaeha said in all honesty. “Go. Leave me alone.”

Jaeha...”

We’re done, Kim Yugyeom.”

Please, I don’t want us to end like that...”

Well, you should have thought about it earlier.”

 

This time she closed the door right in his face and she locked it to make sure he wouldn’t get in. She then leaned against the wood, staring at an invisible point in front of her with nothing but anger in her eyes. There was not even a tear, they would probably come later which she would realize the situation she was in.

 

Her dad walked out of the kitchen and slowly came forward, a worried frown on his face.

 

Are you alright?”

 

She looked up and slowly nodded her head.

 

I was expecting it,” she said. “I’m not surprised.”

 

Jaebum knew her, he knew by the way her hands were tightly clutched into fists she was furious, but he didn’t want to take the risk to anger her even more.

 

I’m tired, I’m going to bed,” she said and rushed to her bedroom.

 

She had not eaten and he wanted to tell her to at least grab a plate but he knew better. He let her go. Youngjae joined him soon.

 

Is she going to be alright?”

She will be eventually.”

 

*

 

So appa doesn’t love us anymore?” ten-year-old Jaeha asked with furrowed brows.

He loves you, don’t worry. He loves you very much -”

Then why is he leaving us? Why is he going to live another country?”

Jaeha...” Jaebum sighed and scouted down in front of her. He put his hands on each side of her face and swept away the tear that had escaped her eye with his thumb. “Love fades at some point. Your father and I we are not in love anymore, we don’t want to stay married. But you know what will never change? The love your father and I have for you.”

I don’t get it daddy...”

Don’t try to get it, okay?” he smiled gently. “It’s fine if you can’t understand, even I don’t understand much. Just know that I love you, alright? I love you so much Jaeha.”

I love you too dad...”

 

He felt his heart tightened into his chest and held her close. He cried silently that night as he held his precious daughter close to him. Love was a complicated matter, it hurt people, it shattered them. He knew the day would come Jaeha would suffer too, but he hoped that day would come the latest as possible.

 

*

 

Let’s go eat,” said Youngjae as he grabbed his hand.

I’m… I’m not very hungry,” he said. “I’ll go take a shower, alright?”

Jae...”

I’m sorry, I’m not feeling well,” he simply said and reached the bathroom. He walked to the sink and threw some water on his face. That way, tears wouldn’t be seen as he cried, reminiscing of the pain he had felt during the whole divorce process. Ten years had gone by, he had no feelings whatsoever for Jinyoung, and he had his little family now, he was very happy. But he could remember the pain and all the anger he had felt. And knowing his daughter felt it too now was just too much for him.

 

Dad...” he turned around suddenly, startled to see Jaeha there, in tears. He threw her a knowing smile and welcomed her into his arms, holding her as tightly as possible as she burst into tears.

I know...” he whispered. “I know Jaeha.”

 

 


Hey guys! How are you? I'm so sorry it took me so long to update this story, but I've been busy for the past two months, my mind was elsewhere but now I'm back :)

Here's the 39th chapter. So yeah, Jaeha and Yugyeom have broken up. This chapter is a mix of the break-up scene between Jaeha and Yugyeom and Jinyoung and Jaebum. It might be weird to read, I don't really know, I'd like to have your opinion about it! Do not hesitate to comment!

The next chapter is going to be happier, I promise ^^

Thanks you for reading, commenting, subscribing and upvoting! This story is comming to an end, so thank you for staying till this point :)

xx

Mae