020

Picking up the pieces

 

 

Jae baby, appa is going to come up on stage and he is going to be busy for a quite a while, so you're going to wait for him with daddy, alright?” Jinyoung asked his daughter who was busy looking at all the people going crazy around them instead of concentrating on whatever he was saying.

Is it going to be over soon?” the four-year-old girl asked.

It will last a moment, but daddy will be with you.”

And uncle Bomsoo and Yoonha unnie, are they going to be busy too?”

They are going to stay with you and daddy, don't worry.”

 

Jaeha nodded and stuck her thumb back into while she brought her teddy bear closer to her face too. They had woken up really early in the morning and she hadn't been able to take a nap in the afternoon so now that it was soon to be six pm and that his press conference was about to start, obviously the little girl was tired. The problem was that if she were to fall asleep at this hour, she wouldn't be able to sleep correctly during the night and both Jinyoung and Jaebum wanted to avoid it, so they were keeping her busy as much as they could which meant she was spending a lot of time with Jinyoung's manager, Bomsoo, and with his stylist, Yoonha, which Jaeha loved a lot. Jaebum was obviously there to support his husband but also to keep a close eye on their daughter yet the little girl didn't even seem to remark his presence and only wanted to be with her uncle Bomsoo and her Yoonha unnie.

 

Now, Jae, you're going to go and sit into the room at the first row where not only you'll see me but where I'll also see you and daddy will sit next to you.”

You're not coming?”

I can't, because I will have to answer the people's questions, but you'll be able to see me don't worry.”

Why can't I stay with you?” she mumbled.

Because this is for my work. Do you want appa to come and show you were you'll be sitting?”

 

She nodded and grabbed his hand to hold it tightly. When they left the backstage with silent but slightly nervous Jaebum in tow, the few fans and reporters who were already there started cheering and applauding when they saw their favorite actor, but they also cooed when they saw his little princess wearing a beautiful light blue dress with her long jet black hair tied in a high ponytail with a white ribbon. Jaeha hid behind her father's legs when people waved at them and called her name, and Jinyoung suddenly lifted her in his arms and told her to wave the people to greet them. She first shyly hid her face into his neck and he told his fans “she is really shy you know?” which made them laugh a lot, and then with more arguments, he managed to make Jaeha finally looked at the strangers and she cutely waved before hiding again when people cooed and squealed even louder than the first time at her cute gesture.

 

When it was time, he sat on her one of the very comfy seats and Jaebum automatically sat at her right with one hand curled around her to keep her close and also to be able to hold her back if she suddenly had the idea to run away during the press conference.

 

You know where appa is going to be, right?”

There!” Jaeha pointed at the stage which was right in front of her and he smiled.

You'll be nice, right? You won't try to run everywhere, will you?”

I'll stay with daddy,” she said and rested her head against her dad's chest and behind them, some fans who saw the whole scene 'fangirled' like crazy and couldn't help talking about how cute Jaeha was. There were even some flashes and Jinyoung guessed there would be a lot of pictures of them but especially of his daughter in magazines the next day.

Jinyoung oppa! Your daughter is really adorable!” one said.

She looks a lot like you!” another one added with a cute and shy giggle.

 

Jaebum whispered a few things in his daughter's ear and she turned around to look at the two girls who had spoken and she polity bowed her head.

 

Hello, my name is Im Jaeha,” she said, “nice to meet you.”

 

The two girls squealed at the cuteness overload and both Jinyoung and Jaebum couldn't help smiling too seeing their funny reactions. Jaeha just stood still and closely watched her dads as if she was looking forward to what to do. With one last peck on the lips for both Jaebum and Jaeha, Jinyoung left and went back alone to the backstage. He checked the last preparations with the managing team, with the movie director and the two producers, and once everything and everyone was fully ready, they went on stage, waving at the hundred of people who were now facing them. The room was barely illuminated and the spotlights above them were sending the white light right into their faces, so they couldn't really see what was going on in the crowd, however Jinyoung had a good spot and a perfect view on his daughter who was cheerfully applauding and smiling.

 

After they greeted the people and introduced themselves personally, they all sat down at a long table and took turns to answer the numerous reporters' questions. And whenever Jinyoung wasn't speaking, and sometimes even when he was speaking, he was pretending to look at the crowd in front of him when he was only in fact looking at his daughter to make sure she was not making a fuss or wasn't bothering her dad too much. But only about thirty minutes into the press conference, she was already dozing off and Jaebum was gently pocking her chubby cheeks to keep her awake.

 

When the official trailers of the movie and some extracts were shown on the big white screen hanging from the wall behind the table of actors and movie staff, among all the noise Jinyoung managed to hear a little clear voice saying “it's appa!” and he couldn't help but turning around to look at his daughter who was pointing at the screen and was looking at it with eyes wide open from amazement. Apparently a few people also caught her since there was a wave of chuckles and a bunch of people pointing at Jaeha.

 

And when the press conference was about to end after a good hour and a half, a reporter asked the main actor one last question or more precisely one last request.

 

We have all noticed your daughter and husband were in the room today, would it be possible for them to come here on stage with you so that we can have a few pictures of your family?”

 

Jinyoung chuckled shyly and nervously since he knew how much Jaebum hated this. He was himself often repeating he wasn't part of the entertainment world and would never be so he didn't want to mingle with it. So he knew there was no point in asking him. However, with Jaeha, even if Jaebum didn't want her to be too exposed to the media, Jinyoung didn't really mind as long as it wouldn't become potentially a threat for her well-being in the future. He didn't want people to spread rumors or anything like that about her but he didn't mind posing with her in front of the cameras. So he left the stage and went to his daughter and when he stopped in front of her with outstretched arms, Jaeha jumped into it and he easily lifted her. Back on the stage, she frowned and covered her eyes when the light hit her and the movie director who had met Jaeha quite a few times already and who was like a lot of people completely in love with the little girl, even asked the light technicians to lower the intensity a bit. Thirty seconds later, Jaeha was opening her eyes and froze when she saw all the people in front of her.

 

Introduce yourself,” Jinyoung told her, “don't be scared.”

 

She shook her head and pouted.

 

Baby please, don't be mean. People are waiting. Look.”

I'm scared...” she mumbled into his ear but since he had his mic around his neck, they all heard her and followed a long series of squeals and remarks about Jaeha's adorableness.

Do you want me to do it first? So that I can show you it's not scary at all. Should I do that?”

 

She nodded and he smiled.

 

Hello, my name is Park Jinyoung, nice to meet you all. See,” he added once all the cheering were over, “your turn now.”

 

One of Jinyoung's co-actor and also long-time friend Shin Wonho came closer to them and handed Jaeha a mic. She took a look at it and then looked up at Wonho as if she was silently asking him if it was really alright, and when he nodded, she leaned a bit closer to the device.

 

Hello, my name is Im Jaeha, nice to meet you,” she said and as soon as she was done, she hid her face into her father's neck as per usual when she was too embarrassed or shy.

 

All the cheering and applauds she received got her blushing but Jinyoung never let go of her to comfort her and together, they struck poses for the reporters which apparently Jaeha enjoyed doing since she was happily waving at the reporters or at the fans snapping pictures of them.

 

It was really funny!” Jaeha shouted when everything was done and they were in the car on their way back home, “really really really funny! Can we do it again someday?”

It'll probably happen again,” Jinyoung assured.

And daddy, can we take a picture together the next time?”

We'll see,” Jaebum shrugged off and smiled, “would you like me to be on the pictures with you?”

Yeah!” she exclaimed out loud, making both of her fathers smiled.

 

Turned out that it never happened again, because whenever Jinyoung had a press conference or a movie premiere Jaebum was busy with school related stuff or was too tired to come and except for two other press conferences, Jaebum refused to let Jaeha go with Jinyoung, pretending that the actor would be too busy to actually take care of her correctly.

 

And while thinking about it later, Jinyoung often ended up thinking that it would have been better if he had kept Jaeha away from the press and the paparazzi and that if he had done, maybe it would have prevented a lot of arguments between him and Jaebum.

 

But then again, he couldn't have known back then, all he wanted was to share important moments with his family.

 

 

 


I'm so late! I'm sorry! I was planning on updating this story earlier but a very unplanned back-to-school time happened and it kept me busy!

But I hope you are all doing well~

Here's the 20th chapter, which is approximatly the middle of the story. It's a flashback, cute four-year-old Jaeha and her fathers still together and happily married. I hope you liked this chapter, I personally loved writing it. Please leave a comment if you did, feedbacks are always so much appreciated (even though I don't always answer, I swear I read all your comments!)

I also would like to thank all of you who subscribed, it means a lot to me and also, special thanks to Stellarcollision9, choi_coco and Juliee_ for upvoting! This story reached the 10 upvotes which is incredible for me, I'm really thankful :)

I don't know when I'll be able to update again, but I'll try to do my best for you not to wait too long!

xx

Mae