016

Picking up the pieces

Jaeha did failed her tests she had on Tuesday but fortunately, since she hadn't tell her dad about it he didn't ask her how it went and she didn't have to tell him the bad news. She didn't really like to do this especially when it came to her education since he was the one paying for it but she didn't want him to get mad at her so she just acted as if nothing had happened and she told herself she would do a better job next time.

 

And to forget a bit about what was to her a disaster, she decided to go on a little run on the sides of the Han River before her meal. Jaeha wasn't really fond of sports but she used to be part of the basketball team back in high school and she was still playing from time to time with her friends and she was also running when she felt like it. Plus Seoul was really beautiful when the sun was slowly setting and when the city lights would on her way, she really liked it.

 

Dressed with a simple black tee and a pair of red shorts, she took her time and listened to some music while admiring the reflection of the city on the moving water. When she found the perfect spot, she snapped a few pictures of the sun setting above the skyline and she uploaded it on Instagram. She wasn't really a famous uzzlang or internet star, but obviously, because of her fathers' reputations, she had quite a lot of unknown people following her and liking or even commenting on her pictures. She was always surprised to see foreign people commenting or sending her messages. She was never answering but she was reading them all, whether it was criticism or positive comments. But truth to be told, she wasn't considering herself as an important person and no matter what they were sending her, she didn't care.

 

On her way home, she stopped by an ice-cream shop which she knew quite well and as usual, she ordered her favorite ice-cream flavor ever: watermelon. She didn't really know why she loved this ice-cream this much, but she knew that she was way too weak when it came to it. She had stopped counting how many times she had tried to stay mad against her dad after a little argument but that he had ended up threatening her of not buying her favorite ice-cream anymore to make her changed her mind. And it had always worked. Also, when she was sad, her dad would always buy her this particular ice-cream and when she was younger and would have good grades at school, it was also the only thing she wanted him to buy her to congrats her. Jaeha didn't need anything else than this ice-cream to be happy.

 

She went home and found Youngjae sitting at the dinning table with a pile of what seemed to be papers he must have given his students and he seemed really concentrated on correcting them. As a literature teacher in a very private and famous high school, but also as a homeroom teacher, he was always working and was carefully preparing his classes for it to be the most perfect as possible for his students to have the best lessons they could possibly have. Jaeha sincerely wouldn't have mind having him as a teacher, because he was a very good and committed teacher determined to have his students succeeding, but she had never wanted him as a potential “step-father” or her dad's boyfriend. Youngjae was just fine as a teacher, that was all. And even if she didn't like him, she was respecting his job and would never bother him when he was working.

 

So as usual when she entered the house, she said “I'm back” but when she saw him, she quickly went to her bedroom to take a shower. She thought Youngjae would simply ignored her but instead, he called for her before she could even reached her room.

 

What?” she asked.

Your dad has a late meeting tonight and he will be coming home late in the night, so he wanted me to tell you that if you want, you could meet him at the restaurant to eat with him.”

And what about you?” she frowned.

Oh I have papers to correct, I can't really go out.”

And... will you be fine staying here alone?”

I will,” he chuckled, “why wouldn't I be?”

D-don't know,” she shrugged off and her eyes quickly drafted to his stomach still hidden under an oversize sweater but she quickly looked away, “was just asking.”

Just tell me if you decide to go out, so that I can know if I must cook for you or not.”

I'll just go with dad, don't worry about me.”

Alright,” he smiled.

 

Jaeha went inside her bedroom and automatically went to take a shower into her bathroom and then she changed into casual clothes. She quickly dried her hair and tied them into a messy bun so that they wouldn't bother her. Once she was done, she decided to call her dad to tell him she would be joining him.

 

You're coming? Good!” Jaebum said and she knew he was smiling, “where do you want to eat then?

Just chose whatever place you want.”

There's this new Indian restaurant in town and one of my patients told me it was really delicious, do you want to go there?

Hum,” she nodded though he couldn't see her, “let's go.”

I'll send you the address by message alright? I'll be waiting for you, be there at nine.

Don't worry, see you dad.”

 

She hung up and waited for his text so that she could found the way to the restaurant with her phone. Once she was ready, she left her room and told Youngjae she was leaving. In the hall, she put on her shoes and her jacket, and the moment she grabbed the handle of the door, she froze. Indeed, something didn't feel right and she couldn't simply left like this. So she went back in the living room and cleared .

 

Youngjae,” she said.

Hum?” he looked up at her with a smile.

D-dad told me that if you have a problem, well... you can... you know... you can just call him.”

Don't worry, Jaeha, I'll be fine.”

I-I don't care!” her voice cracked a bit which made Youngjae smiled even more in a knowing way which she hated, “it's dad who told me.”

Alright, then tell your dad I'll be fine. Don't worry about me and just enjoy your meal together.”

 

She nodded and hurriedly left, slamming the door behind her. Twenty five minutes later, she met her dad outside of the Indian restaurant and they quickly greeted each other since he had left really early in the morning and she hadn't seen him today and they entered the beautiful and colorful place. The nice lady welcomed them with a big grin and they sat at a table in the back of the big room, facing each other.

 

Just take whatever you want, alright?” he told her.

 

She nodded and it took her a while before she could decide on what she really wanted to eat and apparently, her dad had the same troubles.

 

That's the problem when you have too much food on the menu,” he told her once the lady had left after taking their orders, “it's that you never know what to take.”

Whom did you meet with?” Jaeha asked, changing the subject.

A representative of a implants company,” Jaebum admitted, “he wanted me to use their products on my patients but sincerely, he wasted his time. I'm already satisfied with the ones I've been using for years now and I'm not planning on changing anytime soon. Plus he was quite odd, I don't trust him or his products.”

 

Im Jaebum wasn't like most of the other plastic surgeons in South Korea. He wasn't doing twenty surgeries a day and wasn't operating just to earn money (well, in a way he was since it was his job and he was quite satisfied with his salary, but he sincerely loved his job, he was doing it by passion). He was very careful with the products he was using and he was always making sure to use only the best even if it was expensive just because he wanted the best for his numerous patients. And obviously, a devoted and concerned surgeon like him was rare thing to find in the country so a lot of people were coming to see him and never in nearly twenty years someone had complained about him nor his job. Doctor Im was one of the best and obviously Jaeha was proud to be his daughter.

 

(Well, it had been embarrassing though when for example the headmistress of her high school had asked her for her dad's number because she wanted to have an appointment with him or when Mina had begged her to ask for a free consultation because she wanted to have a nose job.)

 

And you, what about your day?” he asked.

O-oh! Well, I mean, it was fine,” she internally prayed he wouldn't catch her sudden embarrassment, “just... fine.”

Good then,” he smiled and so she did, relieved, “don't you have midterms coming soon?”

In two weeks, yes.”

You must work hard, alright? I don't want you to fail.”

What kind of dad would want his daughter to fail anyway?”

You're right,” he chuckled, “no dad would want that.”

 

The lady came back with their food and they automatically started eating.

 

Was Youngjae home when you came back?”

Yeah he was working.”

He is quite busy nowadays, he mustn't overwork himself.”

Why?” she raised a brow, “I mean... he is a capable as any other man, so why shouldn't he do what you're doing?”

Well, I don't want him to get too tired. He needs to rest a lot.”

Why?” she insisted even more.

Eat before it gets cold,” he changed the subject, “eat.”

 

She frowned but didn't say much and started eating. They then started talking about her week-end at her father's with his boyfriend and Yugyeom and Jaebum wasn't surprised when she told him her boyfriend had spent his time embarrassing himself.

 

He was scared appa would hate him for dating me though I told him a hundred times appa wouldn't mind and even that if was minding, I wouldn't break up with him. But you know how Yugyeom is, he couldn't stop but stuttering and couldn't even looked at appa in the eyes.”

It's been three years now that I've met him and he still can't spend more than ten minutes alone with me,” Jaebum laughed, “he reminds me of myself when I was younger, it's cute.”

Yeah it is,” Jaeha flashed that beautiful smile she always had whenever she was talking about her boyfriend, the one Jaebum was jealous of.

 

They kept on talking about a lot and different subjects, somehow forgetting that it was getting late and that they both had worked on tomorrow. They left the restaurant around midnight and ten minutes later, they were back at the silent home.

 

Don't make too much sound, Youngjae might be sleeping. Have a good night,” he said after kissing her forehead.

Good night, dad,” she smiled and disappeared in her bedroom.

 

She changed into her pajamas and lay under the warm cover of her bed. As usual, before going to bed, she quickly checked her profiles on social media and answered Yugyeom who was wishing her a good night and who was saying he loved her.

 

To: Yugyeomie

I love you too

 

And with a big smile over her face, she fell asleep.

 

 


I'm back! Once month later I'm finally back with another chapter. I'm sorry I couldn't update this before but exams kept me busy plus there were some troubles with my uni administration and my grades got all messed up and it was a real bother (you know the cliché that says French administratrion system is a mess and is really bad, well, turns out that it's not a cliché at all but the sole reality!) 

Anyway, I'm glad i can write again now that I'm done with all of this :)

I'd like to thank all of you who subscribed to this story, there are now 111 subs, it's really amazing thank you very much ! And also thank you to all of you who commented, i couldn't answer but I've read them all and I've taken into consideration what you said, so I'll try to write more and quickly to see if you like it or not. But thank you for sticking to this story so far ^^

And please don't forget to tell me what you think of this chapter ;)

So, see you soon for the next update :D

thx

xx

Mae