030 Part two

Picking up the pieces

This is a double update, make sure you've read part one before

 


 

 

Oh my~ Isn't that my Jaeha?” Mrs. Park smiled as she cupped her grand-daughter's face and closely stared at her. “You've grown so much since that last time we've seen you! You're a real lady now, not the little girl you once were. You're so pretty! My Jaeha!”

I'm glad to see you too, Ma,” Jaeha answered and kissed her grand-mother's cheek before they shared a quick hug.

 

Her grand-mother was holding her tightly, as if one hug would suffice for all the times they hadn't been able to hug. But it was quickly put to an end but someone clearing their throat behind them and a familiar deep raspy voice echoed around them.

 

I'd like to see my grand-daughter too before you take up all of her time for the rest of the day,” Jaeha's grand-father scoffed.

 

Jaeha pulled away from her grand-ma and jumped into her grand-pa's open arms.

 

You've grown up so much,” the old man laughed. “You're almost as tall as me now.”

You've grown shorter, Pa,” Jaeha joked. “That's why.”

Silly girl,” he tasked and gently slapped her shoulder.

 

They walked further inside the house, Jinyoung greeting his parents with a hug and then Mrs. Park kissed Mark's cheek while Mr. Park shook his hand. They exchanged casual greetings, asking one another about their lives and while the owners of the house went to the kitchen to bring the food, Jaeha remained with her grand-parents in the dinning room and they even sat around the table that Jinyoung had already put.

 

With her grand-parents sitting right in front of her, Jaeha could actually take a good look at them. They hadn't changed much, physically. They both had more gray hair which her grand-ma was obviously hiding with some light brown hair dye but her rootage was showing. Her grand-pa kept his hair natural but that didn't make him less charming. They had more wrinkles too but that came with age, Jaeha knew she would come to that stage too one day. And if she happened to look as good as her grand-ma at her age, then Jaeha would for sure be good-looking because her grand-ma was still fresh, sparkling and lively. Truly a model. And now that she was finally seeing them again, Jaeha came to realize how much her dad looked like her grand-pa; there was no doubt they were father and son, they looked too alike.

 

Jinyoung and Mark joined them a few minutes later, bringing several dishes with them. They put it on the table and then they sat down on each ends of the table. They started eating rather quickly before the food could get cold, however Mrs. Park found the silence awkward and started telling her son, his boyfriend and her grand-daughter about her and her husband's recent travel to Dubai and to Rome. She was truly a chatterbox, Mr. Park next to her couldn't even say a word without her cutting him and even repeating whatever he said. Yet Jaeha's grand-pa didn't really seem to mind and kept looking at his wife with a bright smile as she talked about the hundreds of pictures they took. At some point, she even showed them a few pictures she had on her phone – fortunately, she didn't have all of them or else they would have been stuck around the table watching the four hundred and more pictures without being able to eat. With her only speaking, her family could enjoy their meal while listening to her.

 

It was when Mrs. Park kept on saying the same things over and over again and got herself lost in her own conversation that Mr. Park asked his grand-daughter what she was up to lately. Jaeha told them about school (claiming she was doing all good and was successful in all her classes which had her father frowning) and when she mentioned her boyfriend her grand-ma gasped loudly and clapped her hands together excitedly. “How long have you been together? What does he look like? Is he nice with you? Does he treat you well? How come no one told me about him! Jinyoung, why didn't you tell me? I should have known! You have to invite him for our next family meeting!”. Jaeha couldn't answer all her questions (mostly because there were too many and by the time her grand-ma stopped talking she couldn't remember half of it) but she did promised Yugyeom would joined them when they would be meeting again so that she could introduce him to them.

 

Then, Mrs. Park inquired her son and Mark. It seemed that both Mr. and Mrs. Park appreciated Mark. They were laughing along with him, kept asking about his own professional life, about his family left in LA. That was weird to witness her grand-parents acting with Mark the same way they had done with her father. To Jaeha it made no doubt they considered Mark as a member of the family already just by the way they were behaving around him and were treating him the same way they treated their own son.

 

It felt like one of these family diners they used to have back then were her dads were not divorced. Her grand-parents would often come to Seoul to spend the week-end with them and they would sat around the table and talk about nothing and everything at the same time for hours while eating delicious food. It felt exactly like this, except her dad was not there and had been replaced with Mark.

 

Because her father had replaced her dad with Mark.

 

It was still her family, still her father and her grand-parents, people she loved and had grown with, but Mark was now in the picture instead of her dad.

 

But that didn't mean her dad didn't belong here; he simply was in another picture, in Seoul, where he had always been, but instead of being with her father, he was with Youngjae.

 

And even if it was two different pictures, two different settings, Jaeha still belonged in each of them. And it wasn't like she wasn't in any of the two pictures anymore, because she definitely was. Her dad and father still welcomed her, still loved her a lot, she was still their only child.

 

Both of her fathers, in their own pictures, probably needed her as much as she needed them. And it wasn't important if they weren't together anymore, they were still there for her.

 

Even if some people had changed, they were still her family.

 

As realization suddenly hit her, she found herself laughing at one of Mark's story from his childhood, when he had apparently run away from his house as a seven-year-old but he had only walked one mile before going back because he didn't want to miss his favorite cartoon.

 

Indeed, just because Mark was here didn't mean it wasn't her family anymore.

 

Just like we welcome a cousin's boyfriend or girlfriend during big family meeting, just like we sometimes welcome an aunt's husband or an uncle's wife, just like we welcome new siblings in the family or just like Jinyoung had welcomed Yugyeom, she could welcome Mark and Youngjae.

 

 

 


Here's the 30th chapter, in two parts! And let me tell you, more drama is coming~

I hope you like this chapter, I'm personally quite fond of it. I just like writing Mark and Jaeha's developing relationship (so expect more in the future ^^).

Thank you very much for commenting, subscribing and upvoting, it really helps me write more. 

I'll be posting the next chapter on the 12th of August. Until then, take care!

xx

Mae