004

Picking up the pieces

 

 

What do you mean 'a surprise'?” Jaebum sighed, “dude! You know Jaeha hates surprises!”

No, she hates your surprises but she loves mine! I'm sure she'll be more than happy to see me! And I've got a lot of presents for her too! How could she hate it, huh?

You know it's... it's complicated. Jaeha is having hard time nowadays and-”

She's been having hard time having you as a dad, yes,” the other one chuckled.

Yah! It's serious! It's very serious!”

 

Jaeha suddenly entered the kitchen. She greeted her father with a slight smile to which he gladly answered.

 

Who is it?” she mouthed, pointing at the phone he had against his ear.

Nobody,” her dad mouthed back.

So, where should we meet? Should I come to your place?

No I don't think we should meet there,” Jaebum crunched his nose and watched Jaeha filling a cup wit milk before she put it in the microwave.

Who's with you?” the person he was speaking to said, “is it my Jae?

It is.”

Oh my! Don't tell her it's me who's calling! It must be a surprise! A sur-prise!” the other shouted in English.

Don't worry, I won't say anything.”

You know what? I'll just come on next Sunday and will go to the Lotte World! And bring Youngjae too! I'll take care of Jae anyway so you don't have to worry.

 

Jaeha left the kitchen and she went to the living room. There, she sat on the sofa and the TV.

 

She's going to hate your surprise,” Jaebum said but not too loud in case his daughter would hear him.

She'll love it! Don't worry! Just don't say anything for a week, alright? Can you do that?

I will.”

I trust you, Bummie! Don't disappoint me!

Don't worry, don't worry,” Jaebum chuckled and he hung up.

 

Jaebum poured himself a cup of coffee and then he sat next to Jaeha.

 

Don't you have work today?” she asked.

No, it's only you and me.”

Really?” she looked at him with furrowed brows, “there won't be a bother coming at the last moment?”

Youngjae has something else to do today.”

Oh, cool,” she nodded, visibly satisfied.

 

He clicked his tongue against his teeth but didn't say anything in case she would grow mad at him.

 

So,” she said after a sip of her hot milk, “what do we do?”

What do you want to do?”

Hum,” Jaeha absent-mindlessly nodded and pouted as she thought about an answer, “should we go shopping?”

Jae... you can go shopping whenever you want, you don't need me-”

But we can buy new clothes for you too!” she cheerfully said with a big smile, “and we could eat at uncle Jin's restaurant! The meat is delicious there and the sauce! Dad please say yes!”

Alright, let's go,” he gave up since he couldn't refuse her something anyway.

 

*

 

Jae seriously, don't you think you already have enough t-shirt at home?” Jaebum sighed as he followed his overly excited daughter into the clothing shop.

Obviously not.”

And what's the point of buying new ones if you always wear the same all the time?”

I don't!”

You totally do.”

 

She ignored him and kept putting clothes into his arms.

 

I swear I'll have to see you wear every one of them at least one otherwise I'll give them to charities.”

As if,” she scoffed.

I'm serious, very serious!”

 

His phone started to ring but he ignored it. It was a spare day and he was spending his time with his daughter, he didn't want to disappoint her by spending hours over the phone for work.

 

You should by me ice-cream too,” Jaeha smiled.

Hey, I don't have that much money! You should use your own too!”

You're my dad! You're supposed to pay for me!”

But you're an adult now! You should already be thankful I'm paying for all of your expense!”

That's your role!”

But I could want you to be responsible and to pay.”

 

She turned around and glared at him though he knew she was trying hard not to laugh. He also kept his serious face on and for a while, they didn't move or didn't say a word: they were just trying to see who would gave up first.

 

If you want all of this clothes, then no ice-cream,” he said.

But daddy! You know I love ice-cream so much! You can't do this to me!”

I can and I will. And if you want it, just buy it with your own money.”

But I didn't take my wallet today... Please~” he shook his head and so she put her hands together under her chin and pouted, “daddy please~ I love you...!”

More than ice-cream?” he crooked a brow and cracked a smile.

Yah! How can you compare the two, huh? It's completely different!”

So you prefer ice-cream,” Jaebum said, “I see...”

 

He did his really best to look sad and hurt and he looked away. At first Jaeha tried to explain him that she obviously loved him more, but that ice-cream (especially the watermelon one) was her favorite thing to eat on Earth (more than his home-made food), but he ignored her. So she just started complaining.

 

Yah... and then you say I'm still a child but how do you want me not to be when I have you as an example? You should be thankful I'm your only child, if you had two, it would mean there would be three children at home and it would be a real mess.”

 

She chuckled by herself and walked away toward the jewels. Jaebum listened to her but didn't say anything since the words got lost into his mind. What Jaeha didn't know, was that there would soon be another child at home. Obviously Jaebum was proud of it, though his and Youngjae's baby would only enter their lives in six months, he already loved the baby a lot and he was really excited to be a dad again. But he had yet to tell Jaeha that she was going to be a sister. And there came the troubles. “I have to tell her,” he thought at he watched her talking with a seller, “I must tell her! Today! I must tell her today-

 

Daddy! Come here!” Jaeha waved at him.

W-what?” he said when he stepped next to her.

Which one should I take?” she held two pairs of matching bracelets in each hands, “it's couple barcelet, we talked about having one with Yugyeom and these ones are really pretty! Which one should I take?”

Shouldn't you ask Yugyeom instead of me?”

It'll be a present! So! Tell me!”

 

Jaebum looked at his daughter. Jaeha was smiling and her cheeks were sightly red, just like all the times she was taking about her boyfriend (who was a nice boy, Jaebum really appreciated him though he couldn't just get over the fact that his daughter had another man in her life, even after three years). Jaebum really liked to see her smile (which was the same big bright smile as her father) since it didn't really happen often when they were together and also because she was the most beautiful when she was smiling.

 

But her smile in this case meant she was happy and he just didn't want to ruin the mood, he simply couldn't.

 

So, which one?” she asked again.

T-this one,” he cleared his throat and pointed at the bracelets with matching arrows.

It's my favorite one too.”

 

No, he didn't want her to be mad today.

 

*

 

I really love Saturdays like this,” Jaeha said as she stuffed several pieces of bulgogi into , “really really like it!”

Don't eat with your mouth full,” Jaebum tsked.

 

She smiled and ate even more. Since Jaebum had enough money to buy meat, it wasn't a rare commodity in their house, but yet, both father and daughter liked to eat at restaurants and especially at the Eat Jin restaurant. The owner, Kim Seokjin, was only a few years older than Jaebum and he had a daughter named Soora who used to be Jaeha's classmate in high school. And the man was an awesome cook and renowned chef in Korea.

 

So, it's just the two of you today?” Jin asked as he put two large bowls of japchae on their table before he sat with them, “did you go shopping?” he then asked looking at the paper bags which were under the table.

Jaeha's idea,” Jaebum said.

Who else?” the cook chuckled, “you had a day off?”

I had a hard week so I've chosen not to work today. My secretaries and nurses were also thankful.”

And you, Jaeha? What's up? Are you studies going well?”

It's fine,” she shrugged off, “it's hard but it's fine.”

Well, you knew it would be hard to be a student at Ewha Womans University.”

Indeed,” Jaeha laughed nervously and started eating again.

 

(She was indeed a second-year student in one of the most prestigious universities of the country, Ewha Womans University. Even though most of the students there liked to show off because they had the chance to enter this well-known school, Jaeha just considered it as a normal university and she hated to go and work there, just like she had hated high school.)

 

And what about Youngjae?” Jin innocently asked, not knowing that the subject was a sensitive one, “how is he doing?”

Fine,” Jaebum answered and checked his daughter's reaction from the corner of his eyes. Fortunately, she was too busy eating and grilling the meat to listen to them.

Do you finally live together? The last time we met you were discussing it.”

A-and we're still talking about it...” he glanced at Jaeha and lowered his voice, “he'll officially move in in a few months.”

Congrats then!” Jin patted his friend's shoulder, “I'm glad you're finally settling down with someone! It's about time!”

 

But first Jaebum needed to tell Jaeha.

 


Hello everyone ! How are you ?

Here's the fourth chapter and it's a chapter where Jaebum and Jaeha spend a day together. So as you can see, when Youngjae is not around, there's not so much problem between them. But Jaebum has to avoid anything that concerns his boyfriend which obviously shouldn't be the case. 

Also there's a quick Jin (from BTS) cameo, he'll appear again later but he hasn't got a real part in this story. 

And the "ice-cream" part might seems childish and stupid for now, but it'll have its importance later :)

Oh ! And who could be the "dude" Jaebum is talking to ? If you don't know already, you'll find out in a few chapters ^^

And also because I've got this asked a lot, here's the ages of all the characters :

Mark Tuan – 45

Im Jaebum  - 44

Jackson Wang  - 44

Park Jinyoung  - 44

Choi Youngjae  - 30

Bambam (Kunpimook Bhuwakul) - 20

Kim Yugyeom - 20

Im Jaeha - 20

(Just for you to know, the story starts in April, so all the characters don't have the ages mentioned above yet, but it's the age there's going to be in the year. Does that make sense ? I hope so)

If you have any questions, just ask :)

thx

xx

Mae