036

Picking up the pieces

 

Daddy...” Twelve-year-old Jaeha slowly shuffled toward her dad's bedroom and knocked on the door a few times, calling out for him with a voice shivering with fear. Outside, the storm was raging, the rain was loud against all the windows of the flat (the one in Jaeha's bedroom was not spared) and both the lighting and thunder were scaring the life out of her. She had suddenly been awoken by one especially loud thunder clap and the storm didn't seem to die down – quite the contrary even.

 

Jaeha had always been scared of thunderstorms, it wasn't something brand new. But when her two fathers were still married, Jinyoung would always be in her bedroom during a storm before she was even awoken to comfort her. He would cuddled with her, hugged her tightly against him and would go as far as singing all the songs he knew to rock her and for her to fall asleep again.

 

And Jaebum, well, he was a heavy sleeper that not even the loudest thunder claps could wake up, much more to Jaeha's despair.

 

Daddy... I'm scared...” she wailed, tears silently running down her cheeks. “Daddy...”

 

She weakly knocked her fist on the door, begging for her dad to answer her and let her in. When there was on particular loud thunder clap and a lighting strike with illuminated the whole flat, she closed her eyes tightly and opened the door, wanting to find comfort with her dad.

 

Except he wasn't there. His bed was still unmade but he wasn't inside, sleeping soundlessly as usual. If the fear of the storm wasn't enough, now she started wondering where her dad was and feared he wouldn't be in the flat.

 

She rushed to the living room and kitchen, checked both bathrooms and even the guests room, but he was nowhere to be find and there was no note left either.

 

She was alone in this huge flat with a thunderstorm raging outside.

 

Crying, she grabbed the phone and through the phone numbers list that was left next to it, she looked for her uncle Jackson's, knowing he'd be the only one to answer her at such a late hour of the night, wherever he was in the world.

 

He did, and it didn't even take two ringings. The moment she heard his hushed voice, she burst out in tears even more than she already was.

 

D-Dad is not here... I'm home alone and I'm s-scared of the storm outside,” she heavily sobbed.

Your dad is not around? Where is he?

I-I don't know! He's left me alone! His coat and shoes aren't there anymore! H-he's let me all alone, dad doesn't care about me! He has left m-me when there's a b-big storm outside!”

 

The exhausted girl let herself slid against the wall before bringing her knees against her chest and hiding her face in it in order not to see the lighting. Only the loud frightening sound of the storm remained.

 

Jae, baby, I'm sure your dad didn't mean to leave you alone. He must be caught up in a meeting for work. Knowing that there's a storm outside, he'll surely soon be home. Don't worry.

I don't want to be alone,” she wailed.

I know, babe, I know. I will try to reach him, alright? Stay next to the phone, and try to calm down, alright? Everything's gonna be alright.”

 

She nodded, aware he couldn't see her, but kept the phone close to her ear even when he hung up. She didn't look up, way too scared to do so, and when only a few minutes later the phone rang again, she hurriedly picked up.

 

Dad!” she cried out.

Jaeha? Are you alright?

 

She froze, but her tears didn't stop. The person who had answered was definitely not her dad, but she recognized the unmistakable sweet voice of her father. And upon hearing him, she cried even louder.

 

Appa!” she wailed. “I don't want to be alone!”

I know baby, I know you're scared. But you need to be strong, your dad should be coming home soon.

H-H-How do you know?”

I know, he would never intentionally leave you alone knowing there's a storm outside. Don't worry, trust him.

 

She squeezed her eyes shut and seized the phone until her knuckles turned white.

 

I don't want to be alone... I-I want you back home w-with me and daddy...”

Even if I can't be home with you anymore, you know I'm always a call away... you shouldn't be scared to call me whenever you need me. I'm there, Jaeha. I'll always be there.

But one call away is too far away...” she sobbed.

 

Jinyoung spoke, but Jaeha solely focused on the loud claps of thunders.

 

Go back to your bedroom Jae baby.

I'm scared...”

Run there, I'm here. Trust me, everything will be alright.

 

She stood up on her two wobbly legs and ran into her bedroom, not even caring when she bumped her knees into a piece of furniture. She jumped on her bed and hid under the heavy blanket, always keeping the phone close.

 

I'm going to sing for you, okay? Put the phone on loudspeaker.

 

She obeyed and rested the phone next to her ear.

 

Lay comfortably, relax. Breath in and out slowly. You're home, you're safe. Nothing will happen to you.”

A-Appa...”

Shh, I'm here baby. I'm here.

 

He started singing, his soft voice instantly shooting her although it didn't prevent her from shaking and being startled by the sounds of the storm from time to time. But as she tried hard to focus on his voice, it was true she managed to calm down. Soon her crying subsided and tears stopped rolling down her red cheeks.

 

It took a few minutes before she was fast asleep, rocked by her father's sweet singing.

 

She didn't even wake up when her dad came back home in a hurry, soaking wet from the heavy rain pouring outside.

 

And Jaebum, when he entered her bedroom and found her sleeping with a familiar voice echoing into the room, he didn't even put an end to the call. Instead, he sat on the edge of his daughter's bed and listened to his ex-husband's voice.

 

*

 

Jaeha knew she was up for a long restless night when the first thunder clap burst around 10 pm. It was not completely dark outside so the thunderbolts were not as frightening as they would be in the middle of the darkest night. However, she tried to overcome her fears and went to bed. Ignoring the lighting was fairly easy with her eyes shut but the sounds remained and seemed to be even louder as the night progressed and the storm grew wilder and stronger.

 

Youngjae knocked on her door around 11 pm, asking her if she was alright and if she wanted to stay with him in the living room while waiting for the storm to be over, but she answered she was doing just fine and didn't need his help. He didn't insist, wished her a good night and a few seconds later she heard him closing the door to his and her dad's shared bedroom – with Youngjae inside, it meant Jaeha wouldn't be able to burst into the room in the middle of the night begging for her dad to stay with her until the storm was over.

 

For two hours she busied herself with meaningless things such as watching funny videos or reading random stories found on Tumblr. It temporarily helped her forget whatever was happening outside but the moment she closed her eyes to try to sleep, she panicked.

 

In a rush, and a bit desperately, she called the only person she knew would instantly answered her: her uncle Jackson.

 

And as expected, he answered after one single ring.

 

Hello, Jaeha? How are you? What's going on? Shouldn't you be sleeping?” he asked, worry in his voice.

Uncle... I'm s-sorry to call you now but there is thunderstorm going on right now a-and dad is sleeping with Youngjae I don't want to bother them... and I'm really scared. I had no one else to call.”

Oh, babe... you won't bother them, don't worry. Just go to them. I'm sure your dad will be glad if you go to him to seek help. So will Youngjae.

I don't need him,” she sighed loudly, rubbing her forehead with her free hand.

Jaeha just... just stay close to your phone, alright?

I will.”

 

She didn't question him because she had an idea of what he was going to do. She let him hang up, sat up on her bed, brought her knees against her chest to lazily rest her on head on top as she stared at the black device, waiting for a call which fortunately came not even a minute later. She immediately picked up.

 

Hello, Jaeha...?

Appa,” she mumbled. Suddenly she was twelve again, pouting and sniffling cutely as she waited for him to comfort her.

Jaeha... what's going on? Why do you refuse to go to your dad?”

He is with Youngjae.”

And...?”

And I don't want to wake them up just because I'm feeling uneasy because of the storm...”

 

She heard some shuffling sounds behind him and then she guessed it was floorboards creaking.

 

Appa?”

Mh?

Will you be singing for me?”

I'll do whatever you want me to, baby. I'll sing for you, I'll read you a story or I'll simply speak if that's what you want.

I... I really want to hear you sing...”

Alright then. Make yourself comfortable. Lay back, close your eyes and focus on my voice, alright?

 

She nodded though he couldn't see her and let herself fall back on her pillow. She put the phone on loudspeaker and breathed in and out loudly to unwind. But as soon as she heard his voice, her body went lax and she couldn't hear anything other than his singing. It took her ten full minutes to be fully asleep – she was even snoring a little, which had Jinyoung chuckling when he heard her.

 

He put an end to the call and sent a text to both to Jackson and Jaebum to tell them the situation had been properly handled. Even after so many years, certain things remained the same and Jinyoung found himself wishing Jaeha's fear for thunderstorms would never vanish if it meant he could spend a special moment with her.

 


Hi guys! How are you doing? I know it's been a long time since my last update, and for that I'm sorry, but while I was away I have been writing this story, I have a few chapiters written in advance ;)

Also I rencently watched Jinyoung's drama He is Psychometric and I was inspired to write more about him ^^ So here's a Jaeha-Jinyoung chapter ! Do you like it? Please tell me in the comments 

Also, I'd like to thank you all for subscribing, reading, upvoting and commenting! 

I'll try to update soon again!

xx

Mae