031

Picking up the pieces

 

 

Be careful on the road, alright?” Jinyoung said for the nth time already as he patted his daughter's shoulder. “Drive slowly and beware of any other drivers.”

Appa... it's fine,” she rolled her eyes. “I know how to drive, okay? I only failed twice, so it's fine.”

You had your license on the third try?” Jinyoung asked, suddenly taken about. “You never told me!”

Well you never asked either,” she shrugged off and grabbed her handbag to carelessly throw it on the passenger seat.

Just be careful on the expressway. People go crazy on this road,” Mark added as if Jinyoung hadn't already said it a hundred times before.

I'll let you know once I'm home,” she promised.

 

Jinyoung then grabbed Jaeha's hand and brought her against him, forcing her into a bone-crushing hug. He tried to speak but his voice was shivering and tight with emotions and Jaeha could tell he was about to cry. Quickly, before she could start crying too, she pulled away, accepting one last kiss from him and greeted Mark, thanking him for the week she had spent and which had turned out to be a great one – if it was not for school staring again on the next day she would have stayed for another a week or two.

 

Just come back whenever you feel like it,” he told her.

I sure will,” she smiled back.

 

She hurriedly got into her car, waved at them and once she reached the open gates, she honked a few times before leaving. She had a knot in her stomach for he biggest part of the ride and she had to turn on the music and sing to prevent herself from thinking about her father's teary eyes. Fortunately, her uneasiness faded away when she reached Seoul and her smile got back when she greeted the guard at the gates of the residence. She was back home with her dad whom she had missed during this week despite being with her father.

 

She found him in the living room, stretched out on the sofa with his tablet in his hands, round spectacles perched on the tip of his nose. The moment he saw her, he jumped on his feet and welcomed her into a warm hug.

 

I missed you,” he said, pouting like a big child. “I was getting worried something had happened to you since you had told me you would get here around four pm and it's already four thirty.”

There was a lot of traffic in Seongnam, I had a hard time going through the city.”

My baby,” he laughed and kissed both her forehead and cheek twice. “I knew you were with your father and that you would be fine but I couldn't help but worry. I don't like having you far away from home. Did you have a nice week?”

I did. We went to the sea.”

I know,” he chuckled. “You've already told me.”

But I'm going to say it again because that was really an amazing surprise and I had a great day. And since I was with appa only it was even better.”

I had a great week too,” Jaebum then told her. “But it would have been better if you had been here under my watch, I wouldn't have had to worry so much about you.”

I'm an adult too, I don't need you to look after me.”

You're still my baby daughter,” he laughed. “Now go unpack your bag, take a warm shower and then come tell me everything about your week.”

 

Jaeha nodded and strolled to her bedroom. There, right when she was about to enter, Youngjae came out of the bathroom. The door opened entirely and he froze the moment he saw her. At the same time as his smile grew bigger, he stepped back and closed the door again, leaving just his head in the doorway.

 

Hi Jaeha! You're back! I-I didn't hear you! How are you?”

I'm fine,” she answered with a slight frown, wondering what was up with him suddenly.

 

They stared at each other for a matter of seconds which went strangely slowly. None of them said a word, probably expecting the other to speak first and with Youngjae not daring to go out of the bathroom or Jaeha not wanting to go inside her bedroom in case he had something to tell her.

 

When she realized he wasn't going to speak, she went inside her bedroom, finally finding back her precious bed. She threw her bags next to the piece of furniture and jumped on it, rolling around and sighing with relief as she met with the silkiness of the red bedsheets. No offense to the mattress she had at her father's house, but she liked her bed better. Thinking about the latter, she sent him a text message to tell him she had gotten to Seoul safe and sound. The answer immediately came, Jinyoung was telling her he was glad she had and he wished her a good evening.

 

Since she didn't want to make her dad wait for her any longer, she hurried and unpacked, throwing most of her clothes into the dirty laundry basket. She took a shower which helped relax her muscles then changed into baggy clothes. She tied her long wet hair into a messy bun and rushed to the living room where her dad still was, back in the same position she was when she had first came in, and Youngjae was sitting on one of the armchairs, watching TV. He had changed top, she noticed. He was not wearing the blue shirt she had seen on him back in the corridor earlier, but instead he was wearing an oversized beige sweater which belonged to her dad if she was not mistaking.

 

She let herself fall heavily on the other armchair, her eyes falling on the reality show being broadcast at the moment.

 

So,” Jaebum started as he put his tablet away and lied on his side so that he could see her. “Tell me everything.”

 

And so she did. From the moment she arrived there to the moment she left, trying really hard to not forget a detail. He seemed delighted to hear her grand-parents were doing just fine and were fully enjoying their lives as retired persons. But the best part of her half-an-hour long story was her smiling and laughing when sharing all the moments she had spent with Jinyoung. She didn't have a negative thing to say about her week, which was truly a relief for Jaebum whose biggest fear had been Jaeha coming back in the middle of the week in tears and mad at her father or his boyfriend. But she was happy, so he was too.

 

They ordered fried chicken and had it delivered at home since none of them felt like going home even if the restaurant was a few streets away. And because they were even too lazy to leave the living room, they put all the boxes of chicken on the coffee table and ate while watching TV. That was so unlike Jaebum's habits, however it did fit Youngjae's and Jaeha's who found solace in being couch potatoes.

 

Since the road had tired her out, Jaeha went to bed early. She told her dad to wake her up on tomorrow for eight am because she felt like she would not hear her phone clock ringing (or would be too lazy to hear it). So to make sure she actually went back to school, she'd rather have someone forcing her to wake up.

 

She fell asleep quickly with the memories of the soothing blue sea playing in her mind.

 

 


Hi guys! How are you ?

So I know I said I'd update this story on the 12th but I didn't even have time to turn on my computer yesterday so here's the chapter one day later. 

It's a short chapter, Jaeha's back in Seoul and things are going down in the next chapter: What's going to happen? Well, try to guess in the comments!

Also, this story has reached 190 subs, I still can't believe it. A big thanks to all of you! It really means a lot!  I hope you'll like how the story goes and that you'll have a good time reading.

Concerning the next chapter, I'll try to post it before going back to school, hopefully I'll find some spare time to post.

Until then, take good care of you!

Thx :)

xx

Mae