034 Part one

Picking up the pieces

Mentions of panic attack, IV, medical related stuff and hospital

Do not read if you're not comfortable!

 


On the night to Thursday of Friday Jaeha was suddenly awoken by loud hushes coming from the corridor and things or people bumping into the wall and her bedroom door. A first, because of her sleepy state, she thought it came from her dream but when she opened her eyes and saw light peering from under the door and heard all the different loud sounds she couldn't help but wondered what was going on. Was there a problem with her dad and Youngjae?

 

She quickly found herself checking the hour and her heart missed a few beats when she saw it was only three pm. Never would her dad or even Youngjae be up at this hour. Plus, there seemed to be more than two people speaking, she definitely could hear several voices. Without much thinking but with a lot of apprehension, she walked toward her door and slightly opened it just to throw a quick glance at the corridor and see if everything was alright.

 

She blinked the sleepiness away but it took a few seconds before her eyes became adjusted to the bright light. But then, when she saw at least three men rushing to her dad's bedroom wearing white medical uniforms and holding some medical stuff she found herself suddenly perfectly awake.

 

Dad!” she called out when she saw him coming out of his bedroom, worry and fear written all over his tired and pale face.

 

When he saw her, he turned even paler if it was possible and rushed to her side.

 

What's going on?” she asked, looking at a woman walking by them and who sent them a slight smile. “Who are they?”

Go back to bed, alright? Everything is alright,” he said with a shaking voice. If he was trying to be persuasive, he would have to try harder.

Who are they?” she asked again. “Is it about Youngjae? Why are the rescuers here?”

 

She looked above his shoulder, to his bedroom, where a big huge mess was definitely happening. The rescuers were talking among themselves, she couldn't quite catch what they were saying but it seemed serious.

 

Don't worry,” Jaebum patted her shoulder and leaned forward to press a kiss again her temple. “They are handling the situation, everything will be alright. Go back to bed, alright?”

 

How was she supposed to go back to sleep when there was a team of rescuers making a loud mess in her house and when her dad looked like he was about to collapse from all the pressure? She couldn't. Her own heart was going crazy in her chest and she was having a hard time standing on her two legs because of how weak they were growing. Her knees kept buckling and if it was not for her holding onto the wall she would have fallen already.

 

It was just all sudden and the fact that she couldn't understand what was going on was too much for her too handle. Especially at three in the morning.

 

Mr. Im,” one of the rescuers called out and immediately Jaebum rushed out to his bedroom, leaving her alone.

 

Jaeha came out of her bedroom too, not caring about her nightwear which consisted of a simple white tank-top and light gray shorts. Usually she would have covered herself but at the moment the thought didn't even cross her mind.

 

However, when she was about to go toward her dad's bedroom, the woman rescuer came out and closed the door. Jaeha froze and watched the lady coming to her with a warm smile.

 

You must be Im Jaeha, am I right?” the lady gently asked.

I-I am,” Jaeha answered with a trembling voice. “What's going on? Is it about Youngjae?”

Mr. Choi will be alright, we are taking good care of him”, the lady assured yet Jaeha couldn't quite trust her. Youngjae would be alright when she would see him actually be alright. “You should listen to your dad and go back to sleep, everything is going to be alright.”

But Youngjae-”

Hey,” the lady suddenly seized Jaeha's face in between her hands and swept away a tear which had rolled down her cheek with her thumb. Jaeha was such a mess of emotions she had not even realized she had started crying. “You really don't have to worry, okay? I know you must be lost right now and you would probably like to understand what is happening, but all I can tell you is that we are taking very good care of Mr. Choi, his situation has been handled and we are going to take him to the hospital to confirm he is actually alright-”

The hospital? W-Why?” Jaeha sobbed.

- and you should listen to your father and go to bed so that he won't worry even more. He needs you to be strong and calm in this situation, alright? He is already very shaken, how do you think he'll feel if you add him more pressure?”

He won't like it...”

Exactly. So do not worry, everything will be alright.”

 

Jaeha nodded and swallowed her tears and fears away, before going back to her bedroom. Yet, she remained behind the door and threw the opening, she carefully watched what was now happening. The lady disappeared in her dad's bedroom and a few minutes later, the whole team came out, except two men were lifting a litter on which was Youngjae. His eyes were tightly closed and he looked both extremely anxious and in pain. He had an oxygen mask covering the biggest part of his face and on the arm that was not covered by the warming blanket she could see an IV.

 

Jaebum was obviously following them and when he saw her, he sighed and roughly ran a hand through his messy hair.

 

We're going to the hospital,” he told her in a rush. “I don't know which one yet, so I'll let you know once we'll reach it. Don't worry, okay? They know what they're doing, Youngjae is going to be fine. Just go back to sleep. And if we're not home in the morning, just go to school like you normally would.”

B-But... how is Youngjae? What is happening to him?”

Don't worry.”

 

One of the rescuers suddenly said they were leaving so Jaebum left her alone and followed them suit without one last glance at her. Jaeha was left alone in a bright and calm apartment, silent as if nothing had just happened, as if Youngjae was just not being rushed to the hospital right now.

 

And her dad expected her to go to sleep as if nothing had happened. What a ing idiot.

 

She quickly found her phone with the idea to call for some help. She was not feeling alright at all. Her heart was beating erratically almost painfully in her chest, her panting only grew shallower as time was flying by and her whole four limbs were shaking uncontrollably. She was undoubtedly having a panic attack and she was all alone.

 

She couldn't call her father; he was too far away to be of any use. Just hearing his voice wouldn't be of any help at the moment. Jackson was as useless as her father for he was abroad. Where exactly? She didn't know, just not close enough. Yugyeom had done a very good job at avoiding her and at not answering any of her calls or text messages, no doubt he wouldn't answer his phone either right now. Jungkook was a heavy sleeper, but he was also the only person she could rely on. So she did try to reach for him. Once, twice, thrice... she called him about five times before giving up because he was not answering.

 

Considering her state, it was not safe to take her car and go to his house on her own, she would never be able to do it.

 

So in one last desperate attempt, she decided to try and call the only woman she had in her life, the person who was the closest Jaeha had ever had of a mother, Jungkook's mom, her aunt Junghyun.

 

When she picked up the phone, Jaeha burst out in tears.