Action!

(LeoN/NEO) Dream.scape

Hakyeon had a cold.

The strong and unbreakable leader of VIXX was having a cold. It’s a rather normal thing for anyone to catch colds but it was a strange thing when it came to Hakyeon.

Hakyeon is known to be one of the healthier member of the group, a much stronger immune system than the rest and had a healthy living style compared to the other members. Eating healthy, sleeping early and waking up early too. But ever since the incidence last year, even the slightest cut would make the younger members panic. Everyone was cautious.

‘Here hyung. Eat this.’ Jaehwan handed Hakyeon a mandarin. ‘You need some extra vitamins while you’re sick.’

‘Thanks…’ Hakyeon said as he awkwardly took Jaehwan’s offer.

‘Drink this too hyung.’ Hongbin gave a cup of hot lemon ginger tea he prepared for Hakyeon.

‘You guys…’ Hakyeon sighed. ‘I’m fine.’

He’s really not used to the sudden care and affection from s. Deep down inside, Hakyeon knows that the members care greatly for him but they’re all just so young and too stubborn to show the affection. Unlike Hakyeon.

Hakyeon is so used to giving the members all his love and care yet he wasn’t used to everyone suddenly bombarding him with aid for a simple cold.

Taekwoon looked at the younger members hurdling around Hakyeon and almost couldn’t help but chuckle a bit in silence. The group almost fell apart when Hakyeon was hospitalized so seeing the peaceful imagery in front of him was rather reassuring and heart-warming. It was as if the family was back together again.

‘Ah! Taekwoon-hyung is smiling!’ Hongbin caught him.

‘I’m not,’ Taekwoon blushed and looked away to cover the smile on the corner of his mouth.

‘Oh~ He is! He is! Our poker-faced hyung have finally broke out of his shell!’ Jaehwan teased and exaggerated.

‘Guys… I know how to laugh and smile too you know. I’m human…’ Taekwoon looked at them being dramatic and ridiculous but it also made him smile even more.

It has been so long since they have laughed together as a whole, it was as if nothing could break the happy moment they were having.

‘VIXX members! Stand by!’ A man shouted.

‘Come, let’s go. We have work to do.’ Taekwoon pulled Jaehwan by the ear and all followed behind towards the set, getting ready for another music video.

As if rest never applies to the group called VIXX, right after their Chained Up promotions in South Korea, they immediately flew over to Japan for a new single titled ‘Depend On Me.’

~

When the boys are off camera, they would tease one another and play around like any normal boys would at their age. But the moment the cameras turn on, especially for VIXX, they would change completely as if they were someone else.

The sharp opening choreography that reflected the violin instrumentals, the smooth fluid choreography and everything else about this new single was perfection.

Though the song felt like a new genre for the group, it still had a VIXX-vibe to it. It was refreshing yet it was still theirs.

‘As expected of the leader, that opening dance was great!’ The music director complemented Hakyeon. ‘Keep up the good work.’

‘Thank you.’ Hakyeon blushed a bit from the complement.

‘Alright. N-ah, did you read the script for the opening scene that we’re going to be using for the official promotional video?’ The director asked.

An opening scene for Hakyeon? What is he talking about? Why haven’t I heard about this?’ Taekwoon wonders.

He wasn’t the only one though. It seems like the other members weren’t aware of it either.

‘Wait hyung, you have an acting scene? Alone?’ Wonshik questioned Hakyeon.

Everyone became worried. After all, the last time they filmed solo, that thing happened.

‘Uh, yeah.’ Hakyeon nodded.

‘Did you forget to tell your members?’ The director looked at the rest of the members.

‘I forgot… sorry.’ Hakyeon suddenly felt really guilty. It’s not like he was trying to hide it.

‘But hyung, you’re sick! Maybe one of us can act for him instead?’ Hongbin suggested.

‘You’re sick?’ The director asked.

‘It’s just a slight cold.’ Hakyeon told the director. ‘They’re just being worrywarts. I’ll be fine.’

‘But hyung!’ Hyuk looked concerned.

‘You know what guys? You can come to watch my scene okay? If anything does happened, you can jump in and help me okay?’ Hakyeon suggested. He was obviously starting to get a bit irritated at the members being too overprotective and concerned.

The opening scene for the promotional video was simple and short. Hakyeon and an actress were to act out as if on a date, sitting and talking happily. Just then, the actress would look away as if something else was on her mind instead of Hakyeon. That’s when Hakyeon would change into a more possessive gave in which he hopes that the girl would not think about anyone else or anything besides him. That she would only depend on him.

‘Take 1 ACTION!’

~

Hakyeon as N has always had this bewitching, or y atmosphere around him once he is on the stage.

A very alluring presence just simply by dancing with the group or alone.

His gaze always changes and it simply absorbs you in and makes you unable to look away. That’s what the leader and choreographer of VIXX was known for but once he wasn’t performing, he also becomes someone else.

Cha Hakyeon as himself is very loving, affectionate and someone who knew of no boundaries when it comes to loving the people he cherishes the most. He was just a boy who was born to give and receive love from other people.

A simple type of character.

Now, acting was honestly something Hakyeon never would have thought he’d try out for when he first began his training as an idol. He was much more passionate about dancing than anyone else and he enjoyed singing quite a bit. He could have debuted as a ballad singer if he truly wanted to. So, to simply put it, acting was the last thing on his mind.

But he never realized how much he enjoyed acting until after he received a script for his first role in a drama. Since his first character as Noah was created, he was offered others scripts as well. Even his previous drama as Ha Dongjae really opened the door for new opportunities and challenges for him. He enjoyed being people or characters that were neither Cha Hakyeon nor N. Though those characters were short-lived and fictional, Hakyeon was strangely attached to them.

He wasn’t particularly a great actor per say and he knew that he still has a lot to learn about acting but he fell in love with the job and roles. Each time his agency hands him a script for a drama, his heart would start to race uncontrollably with anticipation.

I wonder what role it will be this time?

And despite all that has happened last year, this time was no different either.

VIXX was preparing for a new Japanese single and promotional video right after their Korean comeback. They heard the new sound and discussed about the choreography, as a group like usual. But as during their meeting with the music director, Hakyeon had something else in mind in which the original script for the PV did not have. An acting scene.

He was quite envious whenever he thought back at how Hongbin got to act out in their Error MV.

I wish we can have a scene or two with acting in it. Hakyeon sighed as he walked out of the meeting.

It was a strange thought to have for Hakyeon but he really hoped for it. And it was just as if someone had heard his wishes, the music director called him one night.

‘Is this N?’

‘Yes I am. Who is this?’ Hakyeon replied.

‘Sorry to disturb you so late. But I was just talking to my storyboard writer just now and we were wondering if you or any of the members will be interested in acting a short opening scene for the new song.’ He proposed.

Acting?! Hakyeon’s heart raced with just the mention of the word. He was already filled with excitement like a child.

‘What kind of role is it if I may ask?’ Hakyeon asked while trying to keep his composure.

‘It’s not really much to do but we were just thinking of a small opening scene with one of you portraying as someone who is secretly possessive in a relationship. After all, the title is Depend on Me and even the lyrics themselves are quite unique and tries to convey a message of possession. It would be interesting to have a scene that opens up to the them of the song. Do you think any of your members would be interested in it?’

‘I am! I would love to do it!’ Hakyeon excitedly volunteered himself for the role.

He was so excited about the whole idea that he completely forgot to discuss it with any of the members. He just wanted the role so badly for himself that he had forgotten.

As Hakyeon was sitting at the table across the actress, he could feel the anxiety and excitement mixing within him. He took a deep breath and was ready to dive into his new form character.

I can do this. This doesn’t even have a script.

Someone who is possessive, someone who loves his lover a lot to the point of wanting her everything and have her only think of me

‘Action!’ The slate hit loudly against one another.

~

The members looked at the screen along with the PV director for their leader’s acting scene. Their leader was the first to have ever gone into acting after they had debuted but none of them really watched Hakyeon’s dramas. None of them have consulted with one another either when it comes to ‘how to act.’ They were well aware that each and all of them were no experts in this field and the people that they could rely on would be those that have been in the industry for a long time.

VIXX does act on a daily basis though.

Music videos, commercials, modeling, musicals, and just being on stage and in front of the camera. Every day, they’re acting in some other form or shape. Sometimes, when they get a chance to rewatch their old stage performances, they get so concentrated on whether or not they have ‘acted’ according to what the song was about.

But they have never really watched each other act in front of the camera, even if it was a small-unscripted role.

They were nervous and a bit curious at the same time. How will their leader appear differently in front of the camera as an actor?

‘Cut! N-ah, can you just put a little more emotion into this scene? Your gaze should be a bit more terrifying or intense. Remember, she is someone you really love to the point that you almost want to lock her away from the world and make her only look at you and no one else.’ The director gave Hakyeon an advice.

Hakyeon nodded as if he understood but what wasn’t he doing correctly? He thought he was acting good enough.

After a few more takes however, the staff was getting tired and lunch was approaching. So they decided it was time for a break.

Something about Hakyeon’s acting wasn’t persuasive enough and it was taking too long. Hakyeon became depressed and couldn’t figure out what he was doing wrong. Wasn’t he acting exactly what the director wanted him to do?

He knows what it’s like to love someone. He’s loved before, so what isn’t he doing correctly?

‘Hyung, where are you going?’ Jaehwan went after Hakyeon who decided to walk off from the set.

‘Just outside. I need a breather. I’ll be right back, don’t worry.’ Hakyeon assured and walked from the set and out into the chilling cold.

Hakyeon let out a deep sigh of disappointment. He was disappointed that he just could not get the takes perfectly. He loves acting, he’s strangely attracted to it but why couldn’t he perform his role properly?

Just then, a strong chill hit him and made him shiver. He finally realized that the outside was much colder than he had thought.

‘Achoo!’

‘Hakyeon-ah!’

Hakyeon turned around to see who it was that was calling for him. Right behind, he saw Taekwoon rushing at him with a large padded jacket.

‘Jaehwan said you came outside. You left your jacket behind. Did you forget that you still have a cold? What if you get worst?’ Taekwoon immediately covered Hakyeon up with the jacket. ‘Let’s get back inside okay?’

The small kind gesture that Taekwoon did reminded Hakyeon of something.

He’s forgotten about it since they have been so busy with their schedules and the last time they really talked about the matter, they fought and kept their distance.

Ah, that’s right. I was in love with Taekwoon

Hakyeon felt a slight jab of pain in his heart by just remembering. Hakyeon was in love and attracted to Taekwoon but he was also rejected harshly by the latter. So, they fought and argued and things were no longer the same for them. Hakyeon regretted a lot for confessing or showing that he loves Taekwoon. If only he knew that Taekwoon would be so offended by Hakyeon’s feelings, he would have never taken the initiative to love his ice-cold friend.

It’s been so long though since Taekwoon was this kind to him that his heart was responding. Beating loudly and being confused. What if Hakyeon ends up misunderstanding again? What if they end up fighting or arguing like last time?

Stop giving me the wrong signals Jung Taekwoon. Did you already forget that I confessed to you before? And how harsh you were when you rejected me? Did you forget it all? So why are you making me remember that I’m in love with you.

Hakyeon wanted to say it all aloud to his lifelong friend as he stared at Taekwoon put the jacket over him and helping him zip up. Taekwoon’s expression was full of worry and concerns.

Don’t look like that. If you keep looking at me like that I really will misunderstand again. Please, let me just forget these feelings. We just returned back to normal, I don’t want to go back to how things were before I don’t want to lose you again.

‘Taekwoon-ah! Hakyeon-ah! What are you doing out there? The filming is going to start soon. Come back now!’ Their manager called out to them.

‘Coming!’ Taekwoon responded. ‘Let’s go Hakyeon-ah.’

Taekwoon ruffled Hakyeon’s hair and just as he was about to get back inside, Hakyeon stopped him. ‘Hakyeon?’

‘Don’t go. Don’t leave me.’ His lifelong friend suddenly burst into tears.

 

 

* * * * * * A/N * * * * * *

This chapter was honestly longer than I thought. The chapter was actually written since last week but as I went back to revise it, I took in and added a lot of things. 

But I just want to let you know, I did somewhat 'dramatize' the whole opening scene for Depend On Me. It's really and probably not that hard to act that opening scene but what do I know about acting? Nothing :D I just hope you guys can understand the bit of feelings that Hakyeon was having with the role and the difficulty of even a simple scene.