Judgement

(LeoN/NEO) Dream.scape

The shadow that appeared inside of Hakyeon’s room was named ‘Soo-ah.’ A girl who claims to know of Hakyeon’s previous life and his current self as VIXX’s leader. She told him that she was finally able to find a way to separate the light and darkness within her body in order to visit him inside of this dream-like world.

‘How did you find me?’ Hakyeon asked her.

‘It took me a lot of research back at the Heavens to figure out this method. There was a key that linked the different worlds together even Dreamscape but it was lost long ago. So the only other methods were either tying your fate through a red string or this more extreme method, separating your souls. Long ago, I was also just a mortal living in the real world but my greed eventually made me the perfect vessel to be possessed by the Goddess of Death. Now that I’m also reborn as the Heaven’s messenger, there is a part of me that is both light as well as darkness. Hence, in this replication of the Underworld, I was able to find a way to meet you finally. I just never thought that that Taekwoon was able to create a link between Dreamscape and the real Underworld in your mind.’ She said.

This replica of the Underworld was far too real to just be part of a dream. It was both real and a fantasy. It was most likely due to the fact that the Dark Taekwoon had the intentions of ruling the real Underworld that he was able to create such a link. The stronger his powers become, the closer he is to the throne.

‘That Taekwoon… the one you were calling as the Dark Taekwoon right?’ Hakyeon asked.

‘Mhmm. How are you feeling though?’ Soo-ah was worried for Hakyeon who have been trapped inside of Dreamscape, alone for so long.

‘I’m fine. Though I really do want to get out right now… being trapped here is driving me insane!’

‘Shh. He might be able to hear us if we speak too loudly,’ Soo-ah reminded him.

‘Ah, sorry,’ Hakyeon hushed up. ‘Anyways, do you have a plan to get me out of here?’

‘As I have told you, this is your dream. You can take control of your dream more than you think. You have powers in this world as well. The only thing you must keep in mind is to keep calm and focus.’

‘Calm and focus, calm and focus…’ Hakyeon sighed. ‘I’ll try?’

‘I honestly thought that we have completely lost you since you fell inside Dreamscape and the Dark Hakyeon took over but seeing you right now, you’re stronger than before aren’t you?’

Hakyeon nodded slightly.

‘It’s weird to me too. But being here and alone to fight for myself, I think I was able to do a lot of reflecting. I was so blinded by everything in the past that I never really thought about how much my other members were thinking about me. I doubted them when I should not have.’

‘This whole thing have made the bonds between you and your members even stronger it seems.’

‘I hope so. I can’t wait to go back and be with them again. That Taekwoon tried to mess with me by showing me how much my members are taking care of the Dark Hakyeon when I’m not there in the real world. But, I know those kids more than Taekwoon. These past few years weren’t for nothing.’ Hakyeon assured her. ‘So, how are my members doing? Are they okay?’

‘Yes. They’re doing fine with the Dark Hakyeon who is watching over them. Don’t worry, he won’t let anything happen to any of your members. He cares about them just as much as you care.’

‘That’s a relief.’

Soo-ah’s visit as a shadow of Hakyeon’s Dreamscape was unexpected. But the two of them were able to communicate with one another and Soo-ah told Hakyeon about everything that he needed to know. The more he told, the stronger he became. Though he was quite shocked to hear about the Gods and previous life, he was even more shocked to hear the story of the Dark Hakyeon who once tried to take over his body.

Though Hakyeon was a bit annoyed to have heard that his body was being taken advantage of while he was at his weakest moments, he also learned of the story for all of the Dark Hakyeon’s doings. Because of that, he realized just how similar he and the Dark half was to each other. He also remember that the Dark Hakyeon tried to protect Hyuk when the Dark Taekwoon was trying to kill them both. Though he was unsure at first, Hakyeon felt more relieved to know that at least someone is there in his stead to watch over s for him until he finds a way to escape this place.

‘How is your practice coming along?’ Soo-ah asked.

‘Oh, I can get this spark of light out now! Look,’ Hakyeon showed her excitedly.

A small light formed at Hakyeon’s finger tips and moments later, disappeared. Hakyeon was rather proud of his improvements but Soo-ah on the other hand, didn’t seem pleased at all.

‘It seems like you don’t want to leave any time soon,’ she said.

‘Hey! I’m trying okay? It’s so hard to do this when you suddenly told me that I have abilities here. If I knew sooner, I could have escaped ages ago!’ Hakyeon sighed,’ Plus, it’s so hard to stay positive in this place. I wish I could be as optimistic as Jaehwannie sometimes.’

Hakyeon went back to his little corner and sulked while flickering light around his fingers. Soo-ah sighed as she watched this 26 year old man act like a child again.

Though Hakyeon was now more than convinced enough to learn about this world known as the Dreamscape on top of being able to wield certain powers through his mind, he was still too weak to completely take control of everything. After all, he only ended up being trapped here due to his lack of confidence and insecurities. It took him some time to find a bit of his self-esteem back in order to even be able to bring forth some sort of hope in his hands.

‘So, still no words about Taekwoonie?’ Hakyeon asked.

‘No, unfortunately. It seems that the Dark Taekwoon have completely replaced him and he isn’t telling us where he’s keeping your Jung Taekwoon. But for him to go back and forth between here and the real world is rather odd. It should be very tiring for him.’

‘What if he isn’t going back and forth?’ Hakyeon suggested.

‘What do you mean?’

‘Hmm, well it’s just my suspicions but I’m almost positive that this Taekwoon who is keeping me locked up here… is our Taekwoon.’

‘Why do you say that?’ Soo-ah almost didn’t want to believe especially since she saw how desperate Taekwoon was when they were trying to rescues Hakyeon.

‘I believe they might have changed in the middle while I was still locked up in that cage. The first Taekwoon I met when I woke up was definitely this Dark Taekwoon because he was annoying and kept mocking me! It was creepy and I didn’t have a good vibe from him at all. But later on, he suddenly felt like a different person. He was quiet most of the time and I didn’t get the same feelings as I got from the first Taekwoon. Rather, he felt really familiar. He even bandaged my wounds as if he cared about me.’

Hakyeon who was locked up in a single place had nothing better to do except to stay put and observe. He was definitely skeptical at first about Taekwoon’s attitude but he was now even more convinced because of what Soo-ah had informed him.

Somewhere in between, Hakyeon noticed a change. It was as if two people with the same face and voice had swapped places overnight. But rather than being truthful to his leader, Taekwoon remained silent and continued to lock Hakyeon up inside of Dreamscape. Hakyeon did doubt it at first as if his lifelong friend would ever do such a thing but as days went by, Hakyeon became more and more convinced that the one inside of Dreamscape with him was his Jung Taekwoon. But he doesn’t understand why his lifelong friend would do something like this. Why would he follow through with the Dark Taekwoon’s plans to imprison Hakyeon instead of helping him escape like they had initially planned?

Hakyeon sighed.

‘Why do you think he’s doing this to you?’ Soo-ah asked.

‘That’s what I want to know! I have been keeping very quiet and very obedient this entire time because I wasn’t sure and wanted to know more. But lately, he hasn’t even come to visit me either so I can’t even ask if I wanted to. Ugh, if he really is our Jung Taekwoon… I’m going to smack him hard when I get out of this darn place!’

Just then, a large spark of light flashed around Hakyeon’s hands. It seems like Hakyeon’s frustration and determination was the key to releasing his powers.

‘Ah! Look Soo-ah!’ Hakyeon showed her.

‘Seems like you finally found your resolve.’ She said.

‘… You think?’ Hakyeon said.

~

After a few days, Hakyeon’s powers grew tremendously. The more frustrated with the situation that he was in, the more his powers grew. He was able to practice in secret as Taekwoon rarely came to visit him. Soo-ah also had to return to the real world to inform the other members as well as to replenish her abilities. Separating her soul was difficult and very draining. Hakyeon assured her that everything will be okay and that she doesn’t have to worry about him. Rather, he wanted her to make sure to watch over s until he finds a way to escape this place.

The door unlocked finally during the usual time for his meal to be delivered. Though Hakyeon had no idea what Taekwoon was thinking, he was definitely not pleased to see the latter. It was irritating for him to know that he was imprisoned by his lifelong friend inside of his own dream.

Taekwoon looked strangely at Hakyeon who seemed to have been rather quiet and obedient the past several days. Has the leader finally gave up and decided to stay put?

‘So?’ Hakyeon decided to initiate the conversation while watching Taekwoon put down the meal onto the table.

Taekwoon looked back at the other.

‘Why are you doing all of this?’ He continued to ask.

The latter did not reply.

Hakyeon was not pleased. He’s lost his patience. He’s finally had enough of this game of silence and demanded to know what the hell was going on. He got up from his seat in anger and walked up to Taekwoon, with chains still cuffed around his ankles.

‘I’ve had just enough about you and your silent treatment!’ Hakyeon grabbed Taekwoon by his collar. ‘I want a ing answer right now Jung Taekwoon!’

The latter was surprised and completely caught off guard. It was the first time that Hakyeon have called him his name after all this time and to see Hakyeon this angry, Taekwoon’s shocked expression said it all.

Hakyeon was right all along.

‘I knew it. You’re Jung Taekwoon! Not that Dark Taekwoon but VIXX’s main vocalist, second oldest of the group, my lifelong friend Jung Taekwoon!

‘H-how did you know about the Dark Taekwoon?’ He stuttered.

‘I have my ways! You better answer my questions this instant! I don’t understand why you’re keeping me here and I’ve just had enough about you and this kind of treatment. I want to get back to the real world right now! You can’t trap me inside of my own dream forever!’ Hakyeon shouted angrily.

‘You know?’

‘I know more than you think. This is my dream! What gives you the right to hold me here?’ The leader was even more furious thinking about it.

Hakyeon tried to storm out of the room despite the chains pulling him back. He was desperate to leave this dreadful place and desperately wanted to get back home. The fact that his trusted lifelong friend was the one who kept him locked up here only made Hakyeon feel even more betrayed.

Taekwoon panicked and rushed after Hakyeon. He grabbed Hakyeon by his arms trying to stop him from proceeding any further.

‘You can’t!’ Taekwoon shouted.

‘Let go of me Jung Taekwoon! If you won’t let me out, I’ll get out myself!’ Hakyeon struggled.

‘No!’

Hakyeon glared at Taekwoon, upset and furious at the situation. He bit Taekwoon’s hands really hard in order of the other to release his grasp.

‘Ow!’ Taekwoon flinched away in pain.

Hakyeon walked as far as he could but the chains were obviously in his way. He’s just had about enough playing around. From the powers he’s learn to wield and the knowledge he gained from Soo-ah, Hakyeon finally decided that it was enough. He decided to take control of the situation and his dream. He created a powerful lightning from his mind and aimed it towards the chains. The chains shattered and he was finally free.

Taekwoon was surprised to see what Hakyeon was suddenly able to do. Where did he learn to do all of that? What happened during these few days when he couldn’t bring himself to visit the leader’s room?

But just when he finally focused back on the situation, it was already too late.

Hakyeon have escaped.

‘No! It can’t be!’ Taekwoon grew anxious and rushed out of the hallways. He looked left and right but Hakyeon was nowhere to be found already. His body grew worried and trembled about the leader leaving him behind.

You can’t Hakyeon-ah, you can’t leave. I can’t let you.

~

‘Let’s redo that part again from the start, Hakyeon-ah,’ the producer said.

‘Uh, okay.’ The Dark Hakyeon replied.

It was finally the day to record their album and all the members were also there to record their individual parts. The Dark Hakyeon’s heart though could not stop pounding from anxiety especially being in front of the members.

Calm down, I can do this… I-

‘Sorry, producer but can I take a break? I just can’t get into it right now,’ Hakyeon finally decided.

Being the first time to record was just an excuse for his performance. The truth is, he didn’t feel like it was his place to stand in front of the microphone and record his parts. It wasn’t his part at all, it was supposed to be the leader of VIXX’s parts.

‘I understand. You take a break than,’ the producer looked worried for Hakyeon,’ Jaehwan-ah, you do yours first then.’

‘Uh, yes sir.’ Jaehwan shouted and got up. ‘Are you okay hyung?’

‘Uh, yeah I am. Kind of. Sorry, I’m just nervous and tired. Fighting!’ Hakyeon said and went out of the recording studio to take a breather.

Hakyeon flopped down onto the ground and shriveled up.

What am I doing here? I’m not supposed to be here… I’m not the one who should be recording in there.

He felt pressured and guilty. It wasn’t his place to be inside and record for VIXX’s long awaited comeback. He had no choice. He felt like crying but he tried his hardest to hold back his tears.

‘Hyung, are you okay?!’ Hyuk rushed out of the studio to see if the older was doing all right but as he exit out of the studio, he saw the older cuddled up on the ground.

‘Hyuk-ah, I… I don’t think I can do this after all.’ The Dark Hakyeon’s voice was trembling.

‘Hyung…’ Hyuk didn’t know what to do or say but he could tell that the Dark Hakyeon wasn’t feeling so well. ‘I understand, why don’t you go home for the day and rest? I’ll tell the others and producer that you’re not feeling well.’

‘But…’

‘It’s okay. I know you’re going through a lot of pressure but I really believe you can do it. Just don’t rush and take your time. We’ll wait for you okay?’ Hyuk said and helped him get back on his feet.

The Dark Hakyeon quietly left the company in order to head back home. But somewhere in his heart, he wanted to wander somewhere away from the dorms because that isn’t his home either.

That isn’t my place to be either… then where can I go? Where do I belong?

He wanted to go back but just thinking about the guilt he felt inside, he couldn’t set foot aside. He knows that the members meant well for taking him in and caring for him but just how far can their hospitality go? This wasn’t his body, this wasn’t his time and this just wasn’t his place to be.

Hakyeon wandered around the neighborhood aimlessly for a long time. He was unfamiliar with the city so he didn’t wander too far. He hoped that a simple walk could help him clear his mind a bit and help him decide what to do next.

Clank.

The sound of a glass bottle was rolling from behind. He looked back but there was no one there.

The sun was setting and Hakyeon looked at the clock on his phone. It was time to return back to the dorms. Though he has yet to come up with a conclusion as to what to do, he knew that if he was gone for too long, the others would worry.

‘Oppa,’ a girl suddenly appeared from nowhere.

The Dark Hakyeon flinched and looked back,’ who?’

‘I’m a fan…’ she said.

‘Huh? Uh…’ he felt rather awkward.

Of VIXX’s Hakyeon right? Not mine… He thought.

‘Can I get a sign?’

‘Um, sorry. I don’t think… I need to go home. It’s getting dark out so you shouldn’t stay out too late either. Your parents will get worried.’ Hakyeon tried to persuade her nicely.

‘Please?’

The girl looked at him pleadingly. Hakyeon felt bad if he had turned her away so he agreed. A quick sign wouldn’t hurt would it?

‘Okay,’ he nodded.

She walked up to Hakyeon and grabbed something from her bag in order to be signed. But rather than a notebook and pen, she grabbed a letter cutter from her bag.

‘What?’ Hakyeon stepped back. His whole body screamed to him that this girl was dangerous.

‘Oppa, why are you stepping back? I’m a fan…’ she said as she approached him.

‘N-no, put that away please.’

She shook her head and refused. She held tightly onto the cutter and smiled at Hakyeon. Each step she took forward, Hakyeon took another step back.

‘Why are you still around?’ The girl suddenly said.

‘What are you saying?’ Hakyeon’s voice was shaking.

‘I warned you before didn’t I? Did you not watch the video that I gave you?’

‘Video?’

She’s the one that gave me the USB that night! Hakyeon knew right away that this girl was dangerous and definitely one of those ‘anti-fans’ that both Hongbin and Hyuk had told him about.

‘Please, don’t do this. Put that down before it’s too late.’ Hakyeon tried to reason with her but she did not listen.

‘You tried to hurt your members! I heard that VIXX was having a comeback and snuck in to watch but you tried to hurt the others! And you still call yourself the leader of VIXX?!’ She yelled angrily.

‘N-no, I didn’t mean to…’

‘Lies! You’re always taking away their spotlight with your selfishness and ego! You don’t belong in VIXX! They’re better off without you! Die!’ She charged at Hakyeon with all her might.

The Dark Hakyeon grabbed her wrists before she could stab him.

‘Stop please!’ Hakyeon was using his strength to stop her.

The girl was fighting hard against him and with all the intentions to kill him. He didn’t want to harm the girl but he also had to protect himself as well.

‘Die die die!! You shouldn’t exist! You’re a sinner! You should pay for your crimes!’

A sinner… those words rung inside of Hakyeon’s mind and made him froze. Those words that spoke like the truth hurt him more so than the pain he was suddenly feeling from his stomach. Before he could react, he looked down to see the knife pierced inside of him. His blood was spilling out and he felt weak to stand up. His visions grew blur and he collapsed onto the gravel. The girl had ran away as his world grew black.

Am I really a sinner? Was asking for freedom too much to ask for after all? Do I not deserve to exist… maybe punishment is what I truly deserve after all. I deserve this for all the harmful things I’ve done.