Unforgettable

(LeoN/NEO) Dream.scape

Though he has never really felt the need to sleep much, that night, Hakyeon felt the most relaxed he could ever be. Even though it wasn’t his bed, the comfort and warmth that he had received from the members of VIXX made him really happy.

Despite all the wrongs he had done in the past, the members were forgiving and made the Dark Hakyeon feel welcome. Except for one particular member…

Hakyeon woke up earlier than he had planned on his alarm so he decided to make himself breakfast before getting dressed and heading out. It was the day in which the maknae wanted to go out with him and show him around the city. He was highly anticipating as what the youngest had planned out for him.

He noticed that Jaehwan had left early for a schedule at a music program as per usual and Wonshik stayed out all night after dinner. Hakyeon wanted to prepare breakfast for the rest of the members since they had made him dinner the previous night.

Hakyeon had difficulty in preparing anything though since he didn’t really know how to cook so he decided to just bring a few snacks and placed it in his bag. He noticed the time on the clock and was going to wake Hyuk up but when he opened the door, Hyuk was no where to be found. His bed was already neatly folded and it seems like the youngest had left before Hakyeon.

Where did he go? Hakyeon was a bit worried.

Then, he heard the front door click open and rushed to see if it was Hyuk. Instead, it was Hongbin. Hongbin looked at Hakyeon who was still in his pajamas.

‘Hurry and get dressed. Hyuk is waiting downstairs.’ The younger said in a rather uncaring tone.

‘Huh?’

Wasn’t it just me and Hyogi? Is Hongbin coming too?

 Hakyeon hurriedly got dressed and took his backpack with him. He followed Hongbin closely behind towards the parkade.

‘Morning hyung!’ Hyuk popped out from the car window to greet the Dark Hakyeon. He was so awake and cheerful.

‘Where did you go this morning?’ Hakyeon wondered.

‘Just to grab some supplies. Get in.’ Hyuk offered the seat next to him for Hakyeon.

The two of them sat in the back seats as Hongbin decided to take the wheels since neither Hyuk nor this Hakyeon knew how to drive. Hyuk was clinging onto Hakyeon tightly and pointing outside of the window at every city landmark they came across. Though it was early in the morning, Hakyeon felt more awake just having such a happy child next to him.

But Hakyeon also noticed something. Hongbin kept stealing glances at the two of them who were in the back seat from his mirrors. He was rather quiet during the entire trip and only answered from time to time whenever Hyuk asked a question.

‘Alright! We’re here!’ Hyuk shouted in excitement and hopped off the car.

Hyuk hurried to the back of the car and pulled out a bag. He took out a few snapbacks and face masks then handed them to both Hakyeon and Hongbin.

‘What is this for?’ The Dark Hakyeon wondered.

‘Hyung, did you forget we’re celebrities?’ Hyuk smiled.

‘Ah.’ Hakyeon remembered.

These boys were a part of a well-known Kpop group and people may be able to recognize them if they weren’t being careful.

Hyuk helped Hakyeon with putting on the mask.

‘Thanks.’

‘I don’t get why you want me to bring us all here,’ Hongbin finally said something,’ Look at all these people…’

Hakyeon noticed it too. Although they were considerably far out from the city, they ended up at a place where there were still a lot of people. There were so many people, adults and children. Music and colorful décor filled up the entire place and then, there were large structures all over.

‘Um, where are we?’ Hakyeon asked.

‘An amusement park!’ Hyuk said happily.

‘What’s…’

‘Hehe. Thought you wouldn’t know. But let me show you around and let’s have some fun! You too Hongbin-hyung!’ Hyuk grabbed the both of them and led them inside.

Hyuk showed Hakyeon around in delight. He was in such a good mood and even bought Hakyeon a lot of good food. Food that he has never ate before either. The Dark Hakyeon have never really experienced anything like this and it was amazing. Though the rides were scary to be on, it was still a thrill and unforgettable experience.

‘Our hyung would cry if I brought him here instead.’ Hyuk said.

‘Your leader?’ Hakyeon asked.

‘Yeah. Hakyeon-hyung has a fear of heights and anything scary so we could never really come to these places with him. I usually come here with my friends or Jaehwan-hyung.’

~

‘I’ll be right back!’ Hyuk said and ran off to find the washroom, leaving both the Dark Hakyeon and Hongbin alone together to wait for his return.

Hakyeon enjoyed the trip a lot and his heart was still racing from the excitement. But he couldn’t help and wonder what was on Hongbin’s mind this entire time. The younger was rather quiet unlike his usual happy outer appearance. All the other members have been extra caring when it came to the Dark Hakyeon since he ended up staying with them at their dorms. But Hongbin was a bit different.

The younger still calls Hakyeon out for dinner but that was only because he was asked by Jaehwan or another member to do so. Each time Hakyeon had a question, Hongbin would either divert the question to another member to answer or give short replies instead. Unlike everyone else, Hongbin treated him differently.

Is it my fault? Is he still angry at me? Hakyeon worried.

He couldn’t stop looking out for Hongbin and wondering what was on the younger’s mind. He was worried though about what to say.

Hongbin then noticed the latter looking at him.

‘What?’ He said coldly.

‘I… I’m sorry.’ Hakyeon said.

‘Huh?’

‘You must be angry and feeling awkward since I’m not Hakyeon…’

Hongbin did not answer and remained silent again.

He really doesn’t like me… I don’t blame him though. Even I don’t like what I did. He must feel pressured and stressed out about having me around. Could it be that he doesn’t trust me to be alone with Hyuk? Is that why he decided to come along instead?

A hundred different reasons and possibilities came to his mind. There were just so many that could be true that he didn’t know which one was right or wrong.

‘Get up.’ Hongbin suddenly said.

‘Wh-‘ Hakyeon was still lost in his thoughts.

‘Tsk.’ Hongbin grabbed Hakyeon’s arms and made the other follow him forcefully.

‘What’s wrong?’ Hakyeon asked in the midst of the confusion.

‘We got recognized by some fans.’ The younger said and hurried away with Hakyeon right behind him.

‘What about Hyogi?’

‘Don’t worry about him. He’s a grown up. I’ll call him once we get out and the coast is clear.’

‘But…’

Hakyeon decided not to say anymore and just quietly follow the younger behind.

~

‘Yeah, we’re on the other side of the park right now. Meet us back at the car later when it’s safe. Keep in touch okay?’ Hongbin hung up after giving a call to Hyuk and letting the younger know of the situation.

‘What did he say? Is he okay?’ The Dark Hakyeon worried for the maknae a lot.

Hongbin looked at him as if this Hakyeon was in no position to ask. The cold looks and silent treat that he was getting from the younger was rather heartbreaking and hard to bear. He didn’t know what to do or what to say in order to see a change in the younger’s attitude. It wasn’t as if he wanted to be forgiven but he just didn’t want to be treated this way by Hongbin.

‘What the hell? Are you okay? Are you hurt?!’ Hongbin turned around to see Hakyeon suddenly in tears.

‘Huh? No, what is this? I-I’m sorry.’ Hakyeon wasn’t aware of his own tears falling. He didn’t think that the sadness of being neglected by Hongbin would affect him so much like this.

The younger didn’t know what to do at all while he watched the Dark Hakyeon frantically wipe away his tears. Then, he held onto the Dark Hakyeon in his arms.

‘Hongbin?!’ Hakyeon was shocked.

He was not expecting to be held like this from Hongbin.

Hongbin sighed.

‘Sorry.’ The younger suddenly apologized.

Why is he saying sorry? It should be me who is saying that…

‘I knew this was a bad idea but Hyuk kept on insisting to take you out.’ Hongbin said.

‘What?’

‘I told him you’re still unfamiliar with the environment and you just got out of the hospital. This place must have been overwhelming for you to suddenly get used to. Sorry.’

‘No! I should be the one saying sorry! Why are you apologizing to me? I thought… you hated me.’

Hongbin looked at the Dark Hakyeon rather confused at the situation then he let out another sigh.

‘I do.’

Hakyeon felt a pain jab through his chest.

‘But that was in the beginning. Dammit, I must have confused you and made you misunderstand.’ Hongbin scratched his head. ‘Look, I’m not really good at expressing myself at times and there’s just been so many things going on that I must have unconsciously taken my stress out on you.’

‘No, I understand. You must be feeling frustrated at me. After all, I’m not your Hakyeon-hyung.’

‘What are you saying? You’re still a Cha Hakyeon even if you’re not the Hakyeon of VIXX.’

Hongbin tried to calm the Dark Hakyeon down and held onto the latter’s trembling hands in his. He could see how sad the other must have been because he was so cold to the Dark Hakyeon by accident.

After the two have talked a bit and met back up with Hyuk, they decided to return to the dorms. Everyone was rather quiet during the trip back but it was definitely not as awkward as before. Hongbin was being more aware of his attitude towards the Dark Hakyeon and tried his best not to worry the other. He had a lot on his mind and just didn’t know what to do.

‘It was fun today, wasn’t it?’ Hyuk asked as he entered Hongbin’s room.

‘Even though we were separated for half the day… where did you go in the end? You left me and that hyung alone.’

‘Hehe~ Just had some fun on my own. Were you able to have a good talk with Hakyeon-hyung though?’

‘You… so that was your purpose?’

Hyuk gave him a big grin. ‘Maybe?’

Hongbin sighed.

‘Not really. I just don’t know where to begin and how to talk with him… it’s just so strange. It’s like I’m looking at Hakyeon-hyung but that isn’t Hakyeon-hyung and at the same time he’s also a Hakyeon-hyung and… Dammit this is confusing!’

‘You’re making me confused too!’ Hyuk whined.

‘Sorry.’

‘But I do understand what you mean. It’s strange isn’t it? He’s Hakyeon-hyung but not the same one as our Hakyeon-hyung. Our hyung would die going on those roller coasters from earlier.’ Hyuk laughed.

‘Aren’t you afraid of this Dark Hakyeon though? He almost killed you before.’ Hongbin said in concern to see if the younger was all right.

‘I should be afraid but I’m not. I want to hate him but I can’t. When I look at him, he’s still got the face of our hyung and even sounds the same. Then he shows these really pained and vulnerable expressions like a lost child at times that I can’t find it in myself to hate him at all. Rather, I want to help him find a way to survive. He only wants freedom after all.’

‘Hyuk-ah…’ Hongbin began to sympathize with the maknae’s view on the situation. Deep down inside, Hongbin felt the same way. Just remembering by how much the Dark Hakyeon broke down earlier, Hongbin could see that this Hakyeon was just lost and alone.

‘Anyways, just talk with him okay? He has a lot of worries too and needs to be talked to. I don’t want anymore misunderstandings with this Hakyeon-hyung too. I don’t want him to start feeling insecure and end up the same way as our leader…’ Hyuk suggested.

Hongbin agreed.

~

Hakyeon sat on the bed while leaning against the wall. He took out his phone to see the pictures he and the two younger ones  took during this morning’s trip. It was such an unforgettable experience.

He ate food he’s never had before, heard sounds that he didn’t think he would enjoy so much of and even went on thrilling rides that made his heart beat even now. The time period in which they were in was truly amazing and it was definitely very different from the past. Maybe this is what the Gods once meant by fearing the human evolution and their intelligence? But that doesn’t have anything to do with Hakyeon. After all, he just wanted to be free and become his own existence after everything is over.

The body he is inside of right now doesn’t belong to him and he understands that very well.

As he was about to go to the kitchen to grab a late night snack before bed time, he noticed the room next to him still had lights .

Everyone should be asleep right now. Is he still not asleep yet?

The Dark Hakyeon got a bit curious and peeked inside of Hongbin’s room.

He noticed the younger was in front of the computer and the keyboards were clicking away frantically. He remembered that Hongbin was really into gaming and he could see how focused the younger was in whatever game he was currently playing. Just as he was about to leave the younger alone, Hongbin noticed him.

‘What is it?’ Hongbin said and turned around.

‘Huh? Nothing. I was just passing by to get something. Sorry to disturb you.’

‘It’s fine. You haven’t slept yet?’ Hongbin asked.

Hakyeon shook his head.

‘Can’t sleep?’ The younger asked again.

‘A bit.’

‘Hmm…’

Hongbin took off his gaming headset and turned off the monitor. He got up from his seat and patted on his bed.

‘Sit.’ Hongbin said to the Dark Hakyeon.

Hakyeon didn’t know why but he obediently went beside the younger and sat down.

What could it be?

‘Let’s talk.’ Hongbin suggested.

‘About what?’ Hakyeon felt quite nervous about this ‘talk’ they were going to have.

Hongbin inhaled then exhaled before he spoke.

‘About my attitude lately, I’m sorry about that. I made you feel insecure and sad when you’re already troubled by so many things.’ He began.

‘Huh? No. You have all the right to be like that…’

‘You’re right, I do.’

Hakyeon could feel his stomach clench in anxiety.

‘But Hyuk is right. You have your story too and you went through a lot of obstacles in order to realize your mistakes. You’re willing to change and that’s the first step that many people don’t know how to take. I had a lot of doubts about you at first but when I saw how desperate you were while trying to protect Hyuk, I guess I changed my mind about you.’

Somehow, hearing these words from Hongbin gave Hakyeon a sign of relief. He really didn’t know what to do if the younger had continued to hate him. Though he was already so used to being isolated and being alone, these past few days with the members made him feel really close with them already. Though he isn’t their leader, the Dark Hakyeon still wishes he could be by their side.

He has always thought of how fortunate the other Hakyeon was in meeting all these people even since the beginning of time. The Dark Hakyeon have always been envious that he was not the one to make these types of connections and maybe that’s why he wanted to exist so badly in the first place. But now that he told the members the truth and his story, the Dark Hakyeon finally felt alive for the first time ever.

‘Thank you. I thought you really hated me… I mean, after all… you like Hakyeon.’

‘You knew?!’

The Dark Hakyeon nodded.

‘Was I that obvious?’ Hongbin asked.

The other nodded again.

‘Honestly, I don’t know how I should act around you. Your body and voice is the same as Hakyeon-hyung’s but you’re a completely different person. When you were putting on that violent act before, I was really scared to even get near you despite the fact that I really wanted to help. I thought I was so powerless and the fact that you would only accept Taekwoon-hyung… I got jealous.’ Hongbin sighed.

‘Sorry.’

‘Well, now that you’ve calmed down, you feel even more like Hakyeon-hyung even though you’re much quieter and way less clingy. I got confused at one point thinking that Hakyeon-hyung really came back but was wrong. I just don’t really know how to act or control my emotions when you’re around. I guess, somewhere deep down I was worried. I was worried that if I accepted you, our Hakyeon-hyung will really disappear and never come back to us.’

‘You really love him a lot don’t you?’ The Dark Hakyeon could see a sad expression on Hongbin’s face.

‘What’s the use? He’s only ever had his eyes for Taekwoon-hyung. Even you have always like Jung Taekwoon more.’

‘No! That’s… that’s the past. I like all of you and I would do anything to return things back to normal again. Even when I was watching inside of the dream, the six of you were so perfect together as a group and as a family.’

‘Heh, thanks.’ Hongbin patted him on the head and ruffled the Dark Hakyeon’s hair. He was glad to have finally spoke his mind and being able to hear such sweet and reassuring words from this Hakyeon’s mouth made him feel a lot better.

Thump.

Wh-why is my heart racing so fast like this? The Dark Hakyeon could feel his heart beating rapidly as he left Hongbin’s room after talking for a long night.

 

 

* * * * * * A/N * * * * * *

Wouldn't it be horrible of me if I just released a joke update for April 1st instead? I did consider it at one point but I decided not to since our boys already did a full scale of April Fools concept since this morning. Who is VIXX? I only know of BIPS xD