Rest

(LeoN/NEO) Dream.scape

After several hours of waiting, the lights have finally turned off. The instant the doors swung open, the members rushed to the doctor to ask how their leader was doing.

‘How’s Hakyeon-hyung?’ Hyuk asked with tears still in his eyes and his body trembling.

‘Luckily, we found him just in time. If any later… Anyways, although it seems like we almost lost him at one point, I think your leader finally found his spirit to fight and survive. We will be transferring him now to the VIP room for the time being and continue to observe his status. I suggest giving him some space until he wakes up.’ The doctor told them.

The members sighed in relief, finally. They thought their hearts would stop when they first heard of the phone call. To have lost one Hakyeon was enough, they could not afford to losing another.

The three of them accompanied by their managers watched the doctors transfer the Dark Hakyeon to the new room.

Jaehwan glanced around them.

‘Where’s Kong?’ He asked.

‘That Taekwoon-hyung isn’t here either…’ Wonshik got a bit worried.

‘That Taekwoon-hyung probably doesn’t care and went home. Hongbin-hyung might have gone to cool down. That’s what he always does when he’s feeling down or angry. Anyways, Hakyeon-hyung needs us,’ Hyuk said as he could not keep his eyes off of the Dark Hakyeon who was lying their on the hospital bed.

‘You boys have been staying up all night already. I think it’s best we go home and get some rest.’ Their managers suggested.

‘But-‘ Hyuk tried to argue.

‘Look, the doctors even said hyung is going to be fine. We need to give him some space okay? Come,’ Jaehwan pulled the younger away.

‘I’ll call Hongbin to see where he’s at,’ Wonshik said as they were heading out for the van.

After a long talk, Wonshik finally came back from his call.

‘So? What’d he say? Where is he?’ Jaehwan asked the younger.

‘Let’s go home for now. Hongbin will be fine.’ Wonshik told them.

Not sure what the reason was, but Hongbin stayed out that night instead. But it seems like the younger was safe so there wasn’t much to worry. Everyone had a very long night and each had been so tired after many hours of wait. All of them needed rest.

~

‘You promise you won’t say anything now that I’ve told you right?’ The older asked.

‘… There isn’t any benefits for me telling that Hakyeon-hyung anyways,’ Hongbin responded. ‘But don't think you’ll be off the hook. I still don’t know how much you told me was the truth or a lie.’

‘It doesn’t matter. Time will tell.’

After their long conversation that night, the Dark Taekwoon decided to return back to the dorms while Hongbin stayed behind at the hospital. He got permission to visit the leader of VIXX who was currently staying in the hospital after his accident.

Hongbin found the older’s room in an instant as if this room was reserved for Cha Hakyeon since a year ago. He carefully opened the door so that he wouldn’t disturb the older who was soundly asleep finally.

It seems like you’re here a bit too much don’t you think? Hongbin said as he and the rest have lost count how many times Cha Hakyeon have been re-admitted to the same hospital time after time.

‘Sorry,’ Hongbin said aloud.

He thought his heart dropped completely when he heard the leader of VIXX was hospitalized. But rather than thinking that it was their Cha Hakyeon, the fact that it was the Dark Hakyeon made him even more anxious.

The younger realized he had said something he should not have and regretted it a lot. How he wish he could turn back time and never said those things. He knew very well how much the Dark Hakyeon have been struggling to adjust in this world, yet… Hongbin told him a hurtful truth. Sometimes, he wish he had the ability to control that straightforward attitude of his. He was stressed out about the fact that his Hakyeon did not return to the real world but it did not give him the excuse to take his frustration out on someone else who is going through just as much stress.

Even if the Dark Hakyeon wasn’t their leader, Hongbin knew how hard the other was working in order to catch up to what the leader and main dancer of VIXX was capable of. Despite being together for over four years now, the younger members still had a long way to go in order to get even near the dancing capabilities of their leader. So what about the Dark Hakyeon who has barely even spent anytime training on top of being so unfamiliar with their society and time?

‘Damn it,’ Hongbin clenched his fist feeling the guilt and frustration he was feeling for himself.

Just then, a hand reached out for his in order to care and calm him down.

‘Hongbin-ah,’ the Dark Hakyeon woke up and said in a small and weak voice.

‘You! You’re awake! How are you feeling? I’ll call the doctor right away,’ Hongbin jolt.

Hakyeon stopped him and shook his head slowly.

‘It’s okay. I’m fine,’ the older told him.

‘You sure?’ Hongbin sat back down.

‘Mhmm.’

Hongbin sighed. He was relieved to see the Dark Hakyeon awake and alive again.

‘You should go home. You’re tired aren’t you?’ The older asked.

‘No, it’s okay. I’ll stay here with you.’

It was faint but the Dark Hakyeon definitely smiled a bit hearing that Hongbin was going to stay with him and watch over him. Hakyeon looked up at the rather familiar white ceiling as he laid down on the bed. He didn’t think he would become so familiar and suddenly so calm looking up at the nothingness.

When he was imprisoned in the hospital, he felt scared and irritated that he wasn’t able to break out. If it was like the past, his powers would definitely be able to destroy the doors and locks that trapped him in a room that gave off a strong scent of foreign medications. But now, looking at the blank ceiling again, he felt calm and much more relaxed.

The fact that Hongbin was also there and be the first person he saw after opening his eyes, made him feel better as well.

‘Hyung.’ Hongbin looked anxious.

‘Hmm?’ Hakyeon slowly turned his attention to the younger.

‘About what I said before, about… you not being a member… I’m really sorry.’

‘Hongbin-ah, it’s okay.’

‘It isn’t. I shouldn’t have said those things to you.’

Hakyeon disagreed with him though and held onto Hongbin’s small hands to reassure him.

‘I understand how you feel. I would be the same if I was in your position as well. But you were brave. You spoke the truth rather than continue to lie. You did something many people would not have been able to do and that is speaking out your feelings. I wish I could be as near as truthful as you.’

‘But… I ended up hurting you.’

‘No, you saved me. Those words didn’t hurt me. It made me realize a lot of things. To be honest, I really thought about giving up many times when I was inside of that operations room.’

‘Hyung…’

‘But when I thought about you and the other members, I realized it. He was right.’

‘He? Who?’

‘Cha Hakyeon, your leader.’

‘W-what?’

‘I talked with him while I was unconscious.’

‘H-how?’  Hongbin was surprised.

‘He’s the one that brought me back to life when I really thought about giving up.’

‘He did?’

‘Mhmm. He told me to live and protect you all until he finds a way to escape Dreamscape. He cares a lot about you guys and was relying on me to watch over you all while he is absent.’

Hongbin almost could not believe it. How was the Dark Hakyeon and their leader suddenly able to communicate with one another like that? Could it be that it is because they share the same body?

‘What else did he say?’ Hongbin asked.

The Dark Hakyeon hesitated for a bit as he looked at the younger’s face.

‘… He said the Taekwoon inside of Dreamscape is your vocalist, Jung Taekwoon. He said that the other was trying to trap him inside and not let him get out. So Hakyeon is furious about it right now.’

‘… I see.’ Hongbin said.

‘Are you not surprised?’ The Dark Hakyeon questioned the rather indifferent and calm expression on Hongbin’s face.

‘I kind of thought so. In fact, we all had our doubts.’ Hongbin said.

‘Hongbin-ah… are you okay?’

Hongbin looked at the Dark Hakyeon and smiled a weak but reassuring one.

‘I’m fine. Everything is fine now that you’re alive and also Hakyeon-hyung.’ Hongbin said.

The Dark Hakyeon couldn’t agree more.

Hongbin ruffled at the older’s hair gently after their long conversation as if he was trying to put the Dark Hakyeon finally to sleep. They have both had a long day and the patient needed the rest a lot.

‘Hongbin-ah,’ Hakyeon said in a small tone as he was about to fall asleep.

‘Hmm?’

‘Can I ask you a favor?’

‘What is it?’

‘Please allow me to perform with you guys for this comeback. I’ll do my best, I promise…’

Hongbin looked at the other who fell asleep as soon as he finished his request. He looked gently at the Dark Hakyeon’s sleeping face and just looking at how peaceful the older was sleeping made Hongbin smile with ease.

‘Please take care of us, hyung.’

 

 

* * * * * * A/N * * * * * *

A short chapter but a lovely one?

Fun Fact 6: The last line of this chapter in which Hongbin said appeared in my mind as Korean '잘 부탁해요, 형.' rather than English. I was struggling so hard how to end that last line tbh because it just sounded so off in English translation. 

Fun Fact 7: Some of you might remember me talking about a possible NBIN fanfic after Dream.scape is over. Actually, it's already in the making as we speak! But I really want to focus on Dream.scape first before I release the NBIN one. It will give me some more time as well to refine it abit. 

Fun Fact 8: Hongbin x Dark Hakyeon was actually very unexpected. Inititally, I was aiming for Hyuk x Dark Hakyeon but I guess it took another turn? I don't even know how it happened to be exact, it just did as I was writing the story. But I do hope you guys like it :D I mean, most of you guys were suffering some of that second lead syndrome because of Hongbin ever since The  World of Us weren't you?